The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When Does Your Hunger End? (Or Does It Ever End?)

Anything related to matters of the mind

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I read a thought-provoking article on BiggerPockets: "Why the Massive Real Estate Empire You Think You Want Won't Give You the Life You Imagine" and it made me think about two ways to approach the Fastlane.

In the article, author suggests to build the smallest business possible that will help you achieve your dream lifestyle (that would be Fastlane way #1 - could be something like acquiring a portfolio of, say, 25 rental properties). Once you reach it, he suggests to stop focusing on business and dedicate yourself to travel and other hobbies (including "do what you love" businesses).

He's against building an empire (that would be Fastlane way #2 - like building a huge business and selling it) because he believes it comes with too much hassle and risk. In addition to that, it can limit your freedom.

I used to believe that when you start making enough money to more than cover your living expenses with a huge margin, it would be natural to shift your attention to non-business matters. However, having achieved it, I still work on my business and expose myself to business-related stress even though I know that more money won't change much in my life. In fact, now that I'm writing it I'm wondering why I push myself so hard.

I wonder what you think about it. Do you consider this constant hunger a positive trait or do you think that eventually you should chill out and stop obsessing so much about building a business empire?

When does your hunger end? Do you have a specific end point in mind or do you plan to keep going well beyond your "enough" point for an indefinite period of time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I read a thought-provoking article on BiggerPockets: "Why the Massive Real Estate Empire You Think You Want Won't Give You the Life You Imagine" and it made me think about two ways to approach the Fastlane.

In the article, author suggests to build the smallest business possible that will help you achieve your dream lifestyle (that would be Fastlane way #1 - could be something like acquiring a portfolio of, say, 25 rental properties). Once you reach it, he suggests to stop focusing on business and dedicate yourself to travel and other hobbies (including "do what you love" businesses).

He's against building an empire (that would be Fastlane way #2 - like building a huge business and selling it) because he believes it comes with too much hassle and risk. In addition to that, it can limit your freedom.

I used to believe that when you start making enough money to more than cover your living expenses with a huge margin, it would be natural to shift your attention to non-business matters. However, having achieved it, I still work on my business and expose myself to business-related stress even though I know that more money won't change much in my life. In fact, now that I'm writing it I'm wondering why I push myself so hard.

I wonder what you think about it. Do you consider this constant hunger a positive trait or do you think that eventually you should chill out and stop obsessing so much about building a business empire?

When does your hunger end? Do you have a specific end point in mind or do you plan to keep going well beyond your "enough" point for an indefinite period of time?
I believe it all depends on who you are as a entrepreneur . I dream of building business for life . Since I first started that's been my goal . But then again I haven't even "succeeded" with my first business so that could change. But in my opinion it's all up to your preferences . Having ambitions to build huge businesses wouldn't be a bad thing if it made you happy. If that's what u genuinely like to do .

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've never met anyone who has really 'retired'. Just today, I met a guy who never has to worry about money in his life ever again (Slowlane success, former executive, fat pension) and you know what he decided to do? Start an executive coaching business.

I have a feeling that the 'retired' people aren't on Internet forums talking about it; they're just... doing it. So you might not get a good answer here.

Last edited:

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
For me it has always depended on what I wanted to leave behind, what value do you want to provide. If you just value freedom of time and you achieve that, great. But, for someone like Elon Musk, clearly that wasn't his intention.

I think it depends on personal goals ultimately.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia

I think if building an empire and constantly being hungry for more, makes you happy - keep doing it. If it does not, stop doing it and do what you ejoy.

For myself and others I know, building big things and making progress is like a drug and it feels good. When you stop, you will feel like something is missing. I think always being hungry for more is fine, as long as you take time to appreciate and be grateful for what you do have right now. Be grateful, not satisfied.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
It takes a lot of drive and motivation to change your habits and lifestyle to achieve big dreams. Though I haven't achieved financial freedom yet, it seems that at the point where money is no longer an issue, it doesn't change who you are and what you've become. Perhaps when you realize you don't want to stop is when you realize that it's just who you are now. Someday you might decide you want to be someone who spends their time leisurely, and you will change your habits and lifestyle to attain those new goals.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
It'll never be enough either way, but it sounds like your drive in particular is not coming from a great place, illustrated by the fact that you're referring to it as a 'hunger'. You obviously have a powerful drive but if you're not steered in the direction that will make you happy, it won't.

Take a bigger risk and try to do something you love without making money at it, with the intention of mastering it so well you could make money if you wanted to, but without being attached to that outcome. I say that because it sounds like maybe you like what you do, but you don't love it - if you loved it, you'd never want the 'hunger' to end.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
That article is aimed at people that are in business because they love money, and sure 100k/year might be enough for them.

I'm an entrepreneur because I love the problem solving.

With big problems; comes big money.

BigDaddyKane

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 19, 2011
The motivation behind why we do the things we do will constantly change as we grow. Whatever the motivation and "hunger" is at any given moment we can either reject it or run with it. I've always somewhat gone back and forth between these two opposing ideas of leisure and work and how they both relate and affect each other.

I believe that for the majority of us here, we will always continue to build things and see them grow through our efforts. Hopefully making a difference along the way. That idea is pretty energizing to me. But that's not the ONLY thing that keeps my hunger. I tap into other things that motivate me like social aspects (making my mom and brothers proud), materialism (images of Bentley's in my driveway), etc.
At the same time enjoying this crazy ride for what it is. Knowing I'll look back years from now with a smile on my face from the many lives and experiences I've lived.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018

The natural state of life is decay. Man is unique as we have the ability to FIGHT this decay. We are thrown here on this earth with one purpose, survive and win. Nature says “here go die in the cold!” Man says “F*ck you im building a fire” nature says “you have no sharp teeth or claws, go starve.” Man says “F*ck you im building a spear”.

This feature kept our species fighting and surviving. Life will ALWAYS throw challenges at you and those that overcome get the jewels of life while those that don’t merely cope through life.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
At the same time enjoying this crazy ride for what it is. Knowing I'll look back years from now with a smile on my face from the many lives and experiences I've lived.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I suppose that in the end that's what the hunger is about: creating something cool, providing value to the world, and at the same time, building beautiful memories for yourself. Just need to balance it with living in the present moment, too.

The natural state of life is decay. Man is unique as we have the ability to FIGHT this decay. We are thrown here on this earth with one purpose, survive and win. Nature says “here go die in the cold!” Man says “F*ck you im building a fire” nature says “you have no sharp teeth or claws, go starve.” Man says “F*ck you im building a spear”.

This feature kept our species fighting and surviving. Life will ALWAYS throw challenges at you and those that overcome get the jewels of life while those that don’t merely cope through life.

I agree with you partly: mental toughness is key to grow and the human nature (or actually, the nature of every living thing) is to survive no matter what.

At the same time, I prefer to think of nature as a neutral force that doesn't care whether you live or die. This means that if you live in harmony with it, you'll have an easier life than by constantly fighting against it as it's a fool's errand. An easy way to understand how it works is to go surfing. You can't force your will on the ocean, but if you learn how to work with it, you'll enjoy one of the coolest experiences in the world of being harmonious with the nature's force.

Of course, you can say that human progress is all about fighting against nature, and there would be some truth to it (I most certainly appreciate modern medicine).

However, a lot of modern problems come from trying to distance ourselves from nature too much and assume that we aren't a part of it or even somehow better than it. I don't mean it only on a global level (deforestation, air pollution, water pollution, etc.), but also an individual one, for example people who are obese and sick, blaming everything and everyone else but themselves for their health, failing to realize that it's them who are trying to live the total opposite of how nature designed them.

G

Guest34764

I just started my journey, I want to keep all the hunger I can and boil it up inside of me.

Today was a rather rough day at work and the only thing that was numbing me to all the stress and physical pain was thinking about my business and what I'm going to do for the next step.

Felt like I was on auto-pilot mode working, I love that feeling.

The hunger, I hope, stays forever.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The hunger, I hope, stays forever.

Barring some exceptional highly-driven obsessive individuals (like Grant Cardone) sadly I'd say that no, it doesn't stay forever. It's much harder to stay hungry when you've accomplished your most important financial goals. I guess you can work to maintain it, but I'd say it's much, much harder to keep the fire going.

G

Guest34764

Barring some exceptional highly-driven obsessive individuals (like Grant Cardone) sadly I'd say that no, it doesn't stay forever. It's much harder to stay hungry when you've accomplished your most important financial goals. I guess you can work to maintain it, but I'd say it's much, much harder to keep the fire going.

If my hunger can take me all the way to accomplish my financial goals, so be it.

At that point in my life, I probably won't even remember making this post.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
There are 4 M's:
Mastery, getting good at something
Money/materials, self evident
Momentum, progress (not necessarily getting good, moving forward)
Mating, friendship and women

For me, the desire for becoming a better person will never end. I recently picked up piano in my late 20s, I turned a poker hobby into a career and became best in the world at my game type (not saying poker in general or even on a big scale, just my specific game type which is niche af), I lost 70lbs in the last 6 months, I could go on. I love to master things.

Money ends when I make 200k USD and can throw it in an index fund and live off of it where I'm at, not that I would stop there because I have a F*ck ton of knowledge, a sick worth ethic valuing smart work over hard work and a 135 IQ, but IDGAF about killing myself to make more, I will work 1.5-3 hours a day as opposed to my 3.5-5 now and call it good.

Momentum is important, not as much as mastery though, but yeah obviously it leads to mastery so it matters.

Mating is w.e, if I can find a 7/10 that isn't completely destroyed by modernity, great! If I can make more friends, great! Neither are very realistic though, so I'm happy with what I have

But yeah I'm def not gonna be chasing money due to living in a place with a very low cost of living and seeing first hand from piece of shit family members where money gets them, despite making a ton of it, they remain atrocious human beings in every other facet of their life. Not interested in that, I'd rather be time rich, I'd rather be mastery rich and I'd rather (if I can) have good relationships.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.