The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Would Your Passion Business Be?

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 29, 2019
So all of us who have read MJ's books know you can get wrecked chasing your passion rather than focusing on a business that makes CENTS. So departing from reality for a moment, what type of business would you want to have?

Personally, I've been really interested in learning about wrist watches lately and have enjoyed watching Roman Sharf's Grey Market YouTube channel. Getting to travel all over buying and selling watches, meeting all kinds of people etc., seems pretty interesting, at least to me. Don't know if that kind of business makes CENTS (the entry barrier seems low given how many people are trying to do it), but it's definitely one I'd try if I was already financially secure and could afford to give it a go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I'd learn Blacksmithing and try to take it to higher-end weapon creation, customization, and weapon recreation for the film industry as a business. Realistically, however, even if I had the money to do this, it takes decades to get good enough to do what I'm describing. I've always loved it though.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
So all of us who have read MJ's books know you can get wrecked chasing your passion rather than focusing on a business that makes CENTS. So departing from reality for a moment, what type of business would you want to have?

Personally, I've been really interested in learning about wrist watches lately and have enjoyed watching Roman Sharf's Grey Market YouTube channel. Getting to travel all over buying and selling watches, meeting all kinds of people etc., seems pretty interesting, at least to me. Don't know if that kind of business makes CENTS (the entry barrier seems low given how many people are trying to do it), but it's definitely one I'd try if I was already financially secure and could afford to give it a go.
Not sure, personally I don't see the appeal of doing something related to a passion. I would rather use the money I am making to enjoy my passions whenever I want.

Mat79

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 2, 2020
Dallas, TX
One of my passions would be in creating robotics. I see a lot of potential to create non-lethal robots for the police and military that could help save lives. I'd need to go back to school to get a mechanical engineering degree to really explore that field, which is tough.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
A dog shelter that is grandiose enough to rehabilitate traumatized dogs and connect them with a caring family.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Theres a guy from Northern Ireland Nico Leonard (the Youtuber) who has something similar. Its a luxury watch boutique called Pride & Pinion, based inside a 5 Star Hotel.

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 29, 2019
Theres a guy from Northern Ireland Nico Leonard (the Youtuber) who has something similar. Its a luxury watch boutique called Pride & Pinion, based inside a 5 Star Hotel.
Yeah, he's on the Grey Market channel a lot and I've watched some of his videos. The guy is definitely fun to watch.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
I'd learn Blacksmithing and try to take it to higher-end weapon creation, customization, and weapon recreation for the film industry as a business. Realistically, however, even if I had the money to do this, it takes decades to get good enough to do what I'm describing. I've always loved it though.
It is actually doable, I think, but it’s more of a craft, not a business. Tod from Tod Cutler - Handmade Historical Reproduction Knives, Daggers does this on a regular basis, you can try to contact him (he’s got an Youtube channel as well).

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Haven't found mine yet but I think it would be something around fitness.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
Thinking.

I'd sit around and ponder things and people would awe at my fascinating thoughts, and give me money to keep talking for them.

I'd productize the business - charging per thought, regardless of the length of words it takes to communicate the idea. One thought, one-time charge.

There's also a subscription-based model, where you can hear X thoughts/month - with the option to add more thoughts a-la-carte if they exceed their monthly quota.

They can also record my thoughts, but they have to give me a royalty if they use it in any venture that yields a monetary gain.DALL·E 2022-07-19 11.45.51 - shaman's mathematical thoughts float in the sky as he sits calmly...png
I used an AI robot to create a visual representation of what I would look like on a busy day at the office. Here, I'm thinking about a triangle while smoking my finger.

Please note: your payment profile linked to your FLF account will automatically be charged upon completion of your reading of this post. Business is booming bitches.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
From my experience, passion businesses sound good only in theory. Once you launch one when you can afford it, you'll quickly realize that having a business that makes little to no money is frustrating. Soon, you'll end up hating the business and your passion as well. It's just very hard to set aside your entrepreneurial tendencies and be okay with a business that's barely turning a profit (or costing your money).

Better leave passion for stuff that you can't or don't want to monetize. For example, I have zero interest in turning my passion for swimming into a business. It sounds ridiculous to even think about it this way. I could probably become a swimming coach but for what? To make $20/hour teaching people how to swim? I'd end up hating it very quickly.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
King of some country. (Government is absolutely a business if you get far enough into libertarian theory.)

I’d make the most free market country on earth and attract the best and brightest to my country for business.

That would be fun.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’d teach local kids how to setup digital marketing campaigns for local businesses. Not just Google Ads, but video marketing, and all the marketing channels that come natural to them.

I’ve already roped our 14 year old into it. Our 11 yo and 10 yo want to help out too, as do nieces and nephews.

Some good questions:

“If money was no object then what work would you do?”

then

“What’s stopping you?”

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have zero interest in turning my passion for swimming into a business. It sounds ridiculous to even think about it this way. I could probably become a swimming coach but for what? To make $20/hour teaching people how to swim? I'd end up hating it very quickly.
"I have a passion for swimming but swimming coaches only make $20/hr."
^^^ Dead-end. Brain shuts down.

"I have a passion for swimming and swimming coaches only make $20/hr."
^^^ Brain starts thinking about this interesting challenge.

Can you stack your skills, experience, network, and passion on top of each other and make your unique high ground/moat?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
"I have a passion for swimming but swimming coaches only make $20/hr."
^^^ Dead-end. Brain shuts down.

"I have a passion for swimming and swimming coaches only make $20/hr."
^^^ Brain starts thinking about this interesting challenge.

Can you stack your skills, experience, network, and passion on top of each other and make your unique high ground/moat?

No, because I wouldn't want to kill my passion by turning it from something I do for fun to something I do as a job.

The hourly rate was from the business perspective but even if I could make more, I don't believe it's a good idea to turn every passion you have into a business. I'd end up hating it because I would no longer do it as a way to relax.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
I could probably become a swimming coach but for what? To make $20/hour teaching people how to swim? I'd end up hating it very quickly.

I assume there are many ways for turning any kind of passion into a business that follows the CENTS framework.

You could build
  • an app for swimming coaches to help track swimmers progress over time
  • an app for freelance swimming coaches to onboard swimmers and accept payments
  • an app that helps coaches create a workout plan for swimmers
  • a virtual coach for swimmers (app - think running app, freeletics for swimmers)
  • a web page that shows the best swimming clubs and their coaches, connects them to swimmers and has networking capabilities, lets swimmers book a coach or a membership
I‘m sure there are many more ideas even if some of the above are not viable (, as I‘m neither a swimmer nor a coach, I don’t know what the main problems in this niche are, so I‘m just assuming here).

All I‘m saying is, you as an expert in this area should be able to come up with viable business ideas in your niche very easily and test run these with other swimmers and coaches. If validated, build it!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
My passion business is same as my real business. Teaching people and seeing them get results.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I assume there are many ways for turning any kind of passion into a business that follows the CENTS framework.

You could build
  • an app for swimming coaches to help track swimmers progress over time
  • an app for freelance swimming coaches to onboard swimmers and accept payments
  • an app that helps coaches create a workout plan for swimmers
  • a virtual coach for swimmers (app - think running app, freeletics for swimmers)
  • a web page that shows the best swimming clubs and their coaches, connects them to swimmers and has networking capabilities, lets swimmers book a coach or a membership
I‘m sure there are many more ideas even if some of the above are not viable (, as I‘m neither a swimmer nor a coach, I don’t know what the main problems in this niche are, so I‘m just assuming here).

All I‘m saying is, you as an expert in this area should be able to come up with viable business ideas in your niche very easily and test run these with other swimmers and coaches. If validated, build it!

Man but here's the thing. I don't have a passion for building an app for swimming coaches or a website that shows the best swimming clubs. I have a passion for swimming. So the only option would be to turn pro which is impossible at my age and skill level.

And I don't need to, nor think it's a good idea, to build a business that's somehow related to your passion (unless you passion happens to be a very lucrative industry that bores most people).

If you do something well, it doesn't mean you can do well making a business out of something related to it. For example, it's like people who love cooking trying to start a restaurant. You may have a passion for cooking but it doesn't mean it makes sense to start a restaurant (few businesses are more terrible to run than restaurants).

I drive to my favorite lake, I swim, I head back home. That's the extent of my passion. I don't do it as a job and I don't want to do anything related to it as a job because it would kill my simple non-commercial enjoyment of it.

I would much rather have a business in a "boring" industry that's super lucrative and then be free to enjoy my passions without ever even considering monetizing them. That's when you get most joy out of your hobbies. You do them without any other motives than to enjoy yourself.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Man but here's the thing. I don't have a passion for building an app for swimming coaches or a website that shows the best swimming clubs. I have a passion for swimming. So the only option would be to turn pro which is impossible at my age and skill level.

And I don't need to, nor think it's a good idea, to build a business that's somehow related to your passion (unless you passion happens to be a very lucrative industry that bores most people).

If you do something well, it doesn't mean you can do well making a business out of something related to it. For example, it's like people who love cooking trying to start a restaurant. You may have a passion for cooking but it doesn't mean it makes sense to start a restaurant (few businesses are more terrible to run than restaurants).

I drive to my favorite lake, I swim, I head back home. That's the extent of my passion. I don't do it as a job and I don't want to do anything related to it as a job because it would kill my simple non-commercial enjoyment of it.

I would much rather have a business in a "boring" industry that's super lucrative and then be free to enjoy my passions without ever even considering monetizing them. That's when you get most joy out of your hobbies. You do them without any other motives than to enjoy yourself.
Reading this is very strange for me, because literarily all my passions are goal-directed. They are about achieving something or reaching towards something.

It seems for you, @MTF, you passions are more about engaging in certain processes. For me, it's less about the process, and more about the goal of the process that creates the passion. Or maybe even better than goal is the word "direction". I'm passionate about the direction I'm headed in.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Reading this is very strange for me, because literarily all my passions are goal-directed. They are about achieving something or reaching towards something.

It seems for you, @MTF, you passions are more about engaging in certain processes. For me, it's less about the process, and more about the goal of the process that creates the passion. Or maybe even better than goal is the word "direction". I'm passionate about the direction I'm headed in.

Most of my passions are non-commercial by nature and/or too weird/exotic for a regular person. If I were passionate about say, robotics, then that would make more business sense. But I'd rather leave my swimming, surfing, freediving, MMA, barefoot walking, and chilling out in the sun (now that's a lucrative niche!) as things I do for the sake of doing them.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Any business where I can take a $1 and turn it into $2 is a passion for me. Thanks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Any business where I can take a $1 and turn it into $2 is a passion for me. Thanks.
Yeah. I get a kick out of setting up campaigns that do this for clients.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My passion business is same as my real business.
I think mine is as well. I’ve been doing the same thing since 2009 and I find it more fascinating each year.

To date I’ve not tried to build much of a business out of it. A month ago I started roping my kids into the business and I’ve suddenly got a desire to create a productised service and get hundreds of clients - because I can build it with them.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
My passion business is being a bossy fairy princess life coach that helps ppl get over their deep-seated issues.

I feel like this is so cliche I can't bear to actually make it a business. Also I don't want ppl to see me and that's difficult with marketing. But I want like a text-based bossy life coach business helping ppl get over their shit and maybe find their soulmate.. hm. Then again I'm afraid I'd have really whiny clients and I'd get so angry at them being whiny I'd end up crushing their souls by speaking the real truth.. like "it's not that you're too ugly you git, it's that you're BORING AF."

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
if I had natural talent I would have liked it to be in the field of music, karate.

I love writing more.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.