The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What did you do in 2015?

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
2015 was the year where I thought to myself ‘There must be more to life’. Fed up of going to work in the same office day after day, aspirations of being financially free so I can see the world. In 2015 I discovered The Fastlane book and other similar books. While I am not financially free yet I can take a lot of positives from 2015;
  • Moved from the sidewalk to the slow lane
  • Wiped $7500 bad credit card debt
  • Overpaid my mortgage repayments by 20%
  • Got a much better job due to my mind set
  • Realised life is a continual education
  • Improved relationships and became a much better communicator and listener
  • learned to take criticism/feed back from others
    and act upon it to improve my self
  • Set and met goals and defined my reasons for having goals in the first place
I think the adjustment of my mind set took time and I am still adjusting because I spent most of my 20’s with a side walker and consumer mentality. I didn’t take action in 2015 to start a business, but I did do some action faking. 2016 is big year for me. I get married to my beautiful partner and it’s the year that I run a business that creates value to 1000’s of customers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
I had a very similar 2015:

• Moved from sidewalk to slowlane
  • Changed my mindset to realizing wealth isn't something just for "Other people"
  • Made reading educational books a habit
  • Learned life is about giving, not taking
  • Cut relationships which were bringing me down, formed more beneficial ones
  • Decided entrepreneurship is something I not only can do, but must do to live the life I want

Madhu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 9, 2015
I've mainly spent 2015 educating myself. I hope to start a business in making Amazon Ebooks and doing Amazon FBA and then expand it from there.
For the Ebook side, I've done all the research in finding a profitable niche. I was just burned by the hire of my first writer, so I need to try again.

For FBA I am doing research but I've only just started.

I'm hoping 2016 will be when I make some actual money.

Key lessons learnt in 2015:
  • Mental bandwidth is precious. Take care not to get bogged down by "things" and your mind can come up with some amazing ideas! "Things" don't have to be negative thoughts. It could just be having too many tasks to do.
  • A true business is something that works for you. You do not work for your business. In the beginning, it's better to everything yourself so you can get an idea of the processes. But once you've got them down, immediately work on outsourcing them to free up your time.
  • Bussiness is bussiness: If an outsource worker isn't delivering then cut them immediately. Don't worry about their feelings.
  • Ambiguity is the biggest killer of productivity. Always make sure you have lists of things to do. You should never be thinking "What should I do next...?".
  • Use tools like Google Calendars to schedule everything. Forgetting to do things can cause major headaches, so let E-Calendars do all the remembering for you.
  • Just take action: The more time you spend planning, the more time you have to become unsure of things. Sometimes it's better just to plough ahead and learn from the mistakes.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I closed my shop which I'd run for 14 years to concentrate solely on my e-commerce business.

One of the best decisions I ever made.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Closed down my first business, but not after i sold some Christmas turkeys.
Got a social media marketing job.
Over performed on the job, renegotiated and employer became first client
Got two more clients before year end.
Hired a part time graphic designer to do most of work
started a you-tube channel and blog to push out contents
Launched a site for this side biz
Still hustling, year ain't over yet

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Decided I don't want to work for another business.

• Read a book for the first time
  • Started learning everyday
  • Stopped playing video games
  • Discovered the WF, ran away from the WF
  • Made my own online eCommerce store
  • Shut down my eCommerce store
  • Started up a new value offering info product
  • Drank way too much chocolate milk
  • Met loads of people
  • Stopped looking for a girlfriend
  • Ice skated a lot
  • Started making videos more as my side hobby
  • Found that I love to watch comedians whilst doing work

Tanja

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 17, 2015
Netherlands
Like most of you, 2015 was all about learning and personal growth. Gaining perspective on the path that I was on and decided to move!
  • Stopped being 'busy',
  • Read (and listened) some excellent books (learn learn learn),
  • Started planning my days (not let days plan/run me)
  • Planned time to think and write;
  • Created a vision for myself and my family (oh yeah our twins were born this year, big accomplishment ;-) ),
  • Reach out to a coach,
  • Moved into the "execution"-mindset and got into action,
  • Created routines for myself and stopped wasting my time (social media, netflix etc),
  • Finished the Theory U course on EdX (stopped listening to the interference of the voices of judgement, cynicism and fear and started listening to what really was being said)
  • Basically because all of this: I've been the happiest ever.

chriswho

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Nov 23, 2015
  • "Paused" University: In Germany, there are no direct fees for University so I am now still enrolled and have to pay ~250 bucks per semester but have some benefits like using public transport (using it very frequently) for free and having a cheaper health insurance (duty in Germany) that costs around 80 bucks instead of 350. So I save ~280 bucks a month for being enrolled.
  • Cancelled my apartment and moved into my parents' house again for saving the rent.
  • Rented an office space in may and cancelled it three weeks ago as I learned that I can work from home as well as from an external office and to save the office rent.
  • Enhanced my business but didn't reached my goals (which was to be able to live from it by the end of 2015 / beginning of 2016).
  • Built an email list of ~1,500 subscribers.
  • Started to develop my first online course and already sold it to a few people from my list (~ 10 sales, 99 bucks each). Will start that course in January 2016 and refine it from time to time. Will sell it for 297 bucks after testing an dlaunching it officially.
  • Bought an existing forum community for an extremely low price (which has good traction and growth but I will have to find ways to monetize it).

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
Here's my list of things I did in 2015
  • Stopped blaming others and took accountability of my own life
  • Developed a new appreciation for educating myself outside of university
  • Wasted a bunch of money creating a website
  • Paid off my credit card debt
  • Developed a love for selling items on Amazon

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
man... 2015 was the year in my life where i first started this massive amounts of actual learning. so many new skills acquired, so much new knowledge. i made mistakes such as the software startup but even that was a learning experience. i got job offers from startups that are offering low salary but mid level management with good opportunity to be in top level management with a good salary and some equity within a year---and im not even a college graduate.

i also took action in 2015, some went alright, which led me to make threads on how to help friends, but things changed. other actions failed, but it was not wasted, as i learned a lot.

the one thing is that i haven't exactly "made it" to where i am comfortable, so im still on my grind and not on a stable "come up", but im at the point where i have so much confidence in myself that i can now take action smoothly. even if im not cruising bugattis and shyt im okay with the past year. i learned about growing and operating a real startup (read multiple books, took the stanford university class, took notes on videos and readings etc).

i learned corporate finance inside out, learned how to trade stocks with different types of derivatives and i can apply that knowledge to real estate. i continued my lessons in marketing as well. one thing im lacking is sales skills, which im working on right now.

in the past id take action and id be confused or have fear, but im good to go now. i can maneuver around now, and 2016 is the year where i make accurate actions based off the failures of last year. i feel great, confident, and im on a mission to kill... the competition or any obstacle i face. :mad::)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
  • Worked 100+ hours a week
  • Failed on 4 ventures
  • Found success + growth potential on the 5th
  • Imported + sold my first sea shipment
  • Acquired a huge strategic investor
  • Gave value and lined up a dream job that will help me grow alongside my business

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
2015 was a big year to say the least, as it was for many people on this forum.
  • Finished reading the millionaire fastlane
  • Dropped out of community college (didn't attend this fall semester and didn't get a single degree when I was their). 4 years spent and learned a lot about myself and realized my mind is going somewhere else.
  • Went to Europe for a month with family and it really helped with perspective and mental clarity of what's out there.
  • Went to Canada for a wedding with family for 2 weeks in July and ended up staying till December to help out my brother-in-law with his hotel renovation. Greatest choice I could've made at the time. Needed time away from parents and got the perfect opportunity to do so.
  • Got to go to Hawaii for 9 days with my brother-in-laws for helping with renovation for 2 months (August and September).
  • Stayed the third month (November) because my gut told me I had to stay longer and I'm proud that I did. It wasnt easy staying longer but I had to push through it.
  • Came home in December, reflected about who I was before I went to Canada, who I became in Canada and who I am now.
  • Told my Dad I wanted to move to Houston, TX and live with my cousin moving forward because my Dad has other plans for me but I dont want that. Not until I give myself a fighting chance to succeed on my own.
  • Made a deal with him during our debate. If I don't prove myself to be able to fincially support myself at the end of 2016 then I do whatever he wants me to do. And he said he needs 5 years commitment from me.
  • Now I'm moving to Houston, TX on the first week of January, hopefully.
It's been an exciting year and can't wait for what's to come in 2016. I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm going for it. Hopefully 2016 is a good year for everyone on this forum!

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
So Far 2015 was quite a funny year, took the shotgun approach with no regrets!

• Learnt what I was good at and outsourced the rest
  • Saw the value in learning from failures.
  • Quit my job of shoveling dirt and now financially independent.
  • Became less of a dbag to those who aren't "fastlane" in my personal life.
  • Started to speak my mind more.
  • Started to put what I want first.
  • Discovered both the thrill and loneliness of entrepreneurship at times.
  • Discovered glimpses of my purpose to exist within my market (BIG one)
  • Discovered the utter ecstasy of crushing an competitor into dust.
  • Discovered that the TFLF is one of a kind, I have over $400 in subscriptions going to waste, the mindset here on TFLF is like an oasis in the desert of entrepreneurial forums.

Last edited:

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
2015 was alright for me - in terms of how much I made, not quite alright.. however; I did do the following.

• Traveled to Europe: Doha, Budapest, London x2, Copenhagen, Berlin, Amsterdam, Oslo ( currently still in Copenhagen until the 13th )
  • I started a Facebook page ( currently at 1300 following ), an Instagram and Youtube to go along with it.
  • Created a few websites and am currently working on another one ( niche website )
  • I read a few books, but I could definitely have read more and plan to.
  • I started a Fiverr gig promoting books, it went to shit due to word of mouth.. ( the good word of mouth ), I got too many customers and my Facebook got tagged for spamming so I had to stop that gig. I was averaging 30+ per gig due to what I'd think as decent copywriting within my gig to up-sell the extras.
  • Still selling on eBay and sadly, it's still making me more money than everything else.
  • One of my websites made over 600 USD in affiliate sales this year and the affiliate continues to provide me 10% of its customers monthly renewals. ( I'm making about $40.00 Aud PASSIVE income each month from this. ( Yep, there's such thing, but it requires work up front ).
  • I published a book on Kindle, nothing come of it.. one sale, that sale was refunded. I did however learn to publish a book and all the things along with it.
  • I learned quite a lot with Facebook ads along with various other marketing techniques.
So, I'm sure I learned much more but I can't think of it right now to list..

What I'd like to improve mostly is a better work ethic and to stop getting so easily distracted by watching TV shows and other shit such as my phone.

I love my girlfriend, we have been together over one year now and she supports everything I do and never tries to tell me otherwise.. But, I do spend quite too much time with her and that can limit me from gaining focus and getting things done.

Oh, another achievement.. I taught her how to resell used items on eBay and she too is making a cute little side income from it; she enjoys coming along with me to second hand shops and picking things out for herself to sell on eBay. :D

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
2015.... what an interesting year

The first half I worked a job and read a ton of books.
Quit the job 6 months ago, forcing me to get off my a$$
Bet on myself and started my own business
Going into 2016 a lot worse financially than I did in 2015 (putting everything into the business).

It's a lot more stressful and risky, but I'm a lot happier than I was before slaving away for 50 hours a week.

Cheers to all joining me in this endeavor

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
2015: The year everything in my life changed radically.

Moved away from friends and family and moved to a city where I knew no one.

Why? Because I felt like if I stayed in that environment, I wouldn't take the strides needed to change.

Thank God I pushed through the fear. The first 3 days on my own were terrifying, and everything in me wanted to turn back.

But, I persisted, because I knew I had no choice.

And now, because I pushed through that fear, I've never been happier and I've experienced more growth in the last year than my whole life combined.

It still baffles me: that one decision I made, to step into the unknown and trust.

Trust your instincts, ALWAYS. They will never fail you. If you feel inside like you must take an action: DO IT!

Your future self will thank you.

Here's to 2016. I hope everyone here kicks a$$ and has some cool things to report at the end of 2016. I know I will.

Exuberant

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Nov 5, 2015
  • Realised that I've been living in the sidewalk
  • Did a pathetic attempt at 'taking action' by launching a few doomed products
  • Too many "shoulda/coulda/woulda"
  • Lowered the time spent hanging out with friends who are happy to stay in the sidewalk/slowlane
  • Made new friends who are workings towards the fastlane
  • Started exercising more

Goals for 2016
  • Eat better/healthier
  • Exercise more & do a half marathon race
  • Launch new products & hit my $ targets
  • Network more & join a mastermind

Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
  • Slowed down on outsourcing eBooks and publishing. Wasn't fun, but now I have a few hundred people on mailing lists that are marinating. Didn't do it anything with it for a few months through the summer and fall, still made a few hundred to a thousand every month.
  • Started doing my own writing more. A lot of people tell me my writing is pretty decent, so I might as well pursue writing as the front man now that I'm a gifted amateur in the art of self-publishing.
  • Passed on TMF to my best friend. He's a personal trainer and wants more. We're working on a few things together right now. He's got the charisma and if he learned sales he'd be a powerhouse.
  • Started selling a bunch of random stuff. Not so much for the money aspect, but to reduce the amount of shit I had. I received $120 for a mixer board who's primary purpose was connecting my TV to my speakers. Just took up space on my desk. Not worth. Sold a bunch of books as well. As nice as it is to have a bookshelf full of knowledge, there's really no point if they're never going to be read again. Like I'm going to crack open that book on macroeconomics anytime ever again.
  • Got a 3.8 last semester. I know the old spiel about college and TF and whatnot, but for me the pros outweigh the cons, especially using the GI Bill. It allows me to connect with and network with folks, get inexpensive services by students, and it pays me enough to experiment. Hell, my disability alone takes care of rent, so the GI Bill monthly allowance is primarily lets-see-what-advertising-method-is-best money.

relentlessaction

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Dec 18, 2015
28 years old, no college degree.

For 2015,

• Gained 3 title changes on my F/T job. No need for a college degree now. Have corporate work experience but max of $70-$75k due to job title. Not enough need $100k. Looking into moving into programmer, full-stack developer to also double down for SAAS experience for working on my own on the internet.
  • After about 1.5 years working on a project of mine as a side business after my F/T job.
  • Finally, grossed $200k revenue for ecom store for 2015.
  • Epiphany, on what's possible and my goals are too small if I want to be even more successful.
  • Saved quite a bit of capital which will catapult my success for 2016 when I get into paid advertising.
Key lessons learned
  • Scale the business. Does it have a cap? Are profit margins too small? Sell it and start a more lucrative business. We only have a 70-80 years to live and can't spend 20 years in a business that has a cap.
  • Work harder and manage time even better!
  • Start focusing on tasks which need to be done. That DAY!
  • A significant task needs to be accomplished daily.
  • Focus on one project and give it the time to grow and flourish.
  • Enjoy learning continuously till the end of life.
  • Learn to focus on Health. Health is something that money can't buy. Possibly turn it into a source of income.
  • Realized how different the average person (slow lane) is to others who are driven (fast lane) to succeed and accomplish more in life.
  • Learn to never be satisfied and complacent and always have a drive to be hungry even after gaining some success!
  • Will start (2) new e-commerce sites with higher profit margins and use automated fulfillment that way I can focus on 100% paid advertising.
  • Will focus on social media and master advertising on social media. Social media will only grow ten fold for 2016!
2016 Goals
  • $20-30k profit per month. Will try to drive this up to $300-400k/gross per month if I can reach that pinnacle of course with paid advertising.
  • Finally, quit the day job hustle.
  • Learn programming.
  • Focus on health.
  • Keep hustling, learning and growing.
  • Make everyday count!

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
-graduated in electrical engineering
-moved closer to my dream city
-helped parents
-quit video games
-used the pomodoro technique for my side project
-eat healthy and 10% bf
-my gf broke up with me
- learned about the universe and other philosophies

for 2016

-build an audio app :)
-stay healthy
-take more risks
-less time chasing women
-pay off my car(6k left)

Last edited:

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
What's all this crap about not chasing women? That's just sad if you need to sacrifice your sex life because you lack self-discipline.
I suggest you possibly change your perspective, it may not even be anything remotely related to "discipline" but maybe they are just tired of A) Spending money on them or B) Get used by the women they meet C) They meet women and it never goes anywhere

One size doesn't fit all

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Am I the only one who had a crummy 2015 ? :confused:

I'm sincerely glad to read that things went well for some people this past year.

I might have to start my own thread tomorrow on how bad 2015 was and all the things that went wrong :bawling:

I say good riddance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.