The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Now reading Dan Kennedy's No BS Direct Marketing.
Thought it was just a basic primer on direct marketing, but it actually isn't...the more I read of it, the more I realised it was a rule book that every business should have.

Discusses how most businesses F*ck up on their offers, follow-ups and funnels and outlines the 'right way'

Still, I found that my note-taking here was largely reduced to just jotting some 'aha' takeaways, rather than writing up a broad summary as I usually did for earlier books.

Managed to find Ben Settle's Big Book of Business at a library- it's a combo of many of his old books, some which are no longer in print. Contains stuff besides copywriting such as joint ventures, salesmanship and persuasion (outside of copywriting).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, I got to part 3 yesterday.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you​
I'm currently reading "The 10 X Rule" by Grant Cardone. Very motivational.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
51oul60C3fL.jpg

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am reading The Long Tail by Chris Anderson. A book from 2008 that talk about how businesses are changing to offer more products and how niches are starting to attract people. Also, the author predict a lot of things that are happening right now, like YouTube replacing TV and all the music and video on demand.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

I was floored. I have never ever in my life read something so good. Sanderson's writing is vibrant and feels almost cinematic as he takes you from one plot twist to the next.

I like to indulge in some SF/Fantasy at times. I was an early adopter of George RR Martin as well and big fan of Tolkien's works.

And let me tell you this : these books blow Game of Thrones out of the water.

I'm calling it now - this has the potential to become the biggest popular culture hit the world has ever seen. Book 2 in the series "Words of Radiance" is the highest rated book of all time on Goodreads.com.

So you heard it here first. I guess.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I've just started to read Digital Minimalism. I always tried to detach from electronic devices, although I work with computers, but I least when I don't need my cellphone I tried to keep it out of my reach.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
The Wright Brothers by David McCullough (biography)

Cool to see that they funded their inventions/business via their own bike shop business in Dayton.

Had people trying to beat them in proving the concept first (Andrew Carnegie) and had massive backings to do so.

The Wright Brothers achieved it with $1k in resources, Andrew Carnegie and his teams failed with $80k spent.

The US government turned them down many times not seeing the potential for what they accomplished with flying planes with engines. While France/Europe was interested.

Shame on the US

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I was floored. I have never ever in my life read something so good. Sanderson's writing is vibrant and feels almost cinematic as he takes you from one plot twist to the next.

I have the first book but have it marinating on the book shelf. . . it's time I get to reading as I keep hearing about it.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Start with Why is getting boring. Feels a bit like he was trying to stretch it out. Overall I liked the concept and thinking about it though. But feels like a chore to finish.

Have atomic habits and miracle morning on the way which I'm looking forward to.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I picked up an old copy of "1000 ways to make 1000 dollars."

It's super old, but I love how creative all of the ideas are.

Really shows how you don't have to start something fancy, just need to take action.

I'm also into history and reading old examples. Always trying to take these old ideas and find patterns that relate to the modern world.

It would be really cool to find the same type of book but with people from 2021, with wide varieties of businesses and projects that have made money (maybe $100k to adjust for inflation and lifestyle?)

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Start with Why is getting boring. Feels a bit like he was trying to stretch it out. Overall I liked the concept and thinking about it though. But feels like a chore to finish

That book was a chore and I didn't gain much from it as well. 1-2 star rating on that from me.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I picked up an old copy of "1000 ways to make 1000 dollars."

It's super old, but I love how creative all of the ideas are.

Really shows how you don't have to start something fancy, just need to take action.

I'm also into history and reading old examples. Always trying to take these old ideas and find patterns that relate to the modern world.

It would be really cool to find the same type of book but with people from 2021, with wide varieties of businesses and projects that have made money (maybe $100k to adjust for inflation and lifestyle?)

What were some of the ideas like in that book? I'm assuming their old but they still could potentially carry their weight today :p. Just like some people who revamp very old products for infomercials and get it to work!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What were some of the ideas like in that book? I'm assuming their old but they still could potentially carry their weight today :p. Just like some people who revamp very old products for infomercials and get it to work!

The founder of JC Penney is in there. So is a guy who sold typewriters, several people who farmed, like raising chickens in their backyard, growing fruit trees on their own land, stuff like that.

The possibilities are pretty endless! It's very refreshing, because in today's world we are bombarded with maybe 2 or 3 ideas as if they're all that can work.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Start with Why is getting boring. Feels a bit like he was trying to stretch it out. Overall I liked the concept and thinking about it though. But feels like a chore to finish.

Have atomic habits and miracle morning on the way which I'm looking forward to.
I listened to it but can’t remember much. That probably proves your point.

I’d already attended a workshop by Blaise Brosnan where he explained the biggest management mistake was telling people how to do something rather than what needed done and why.

Why is more important than What which is more important than How.

The How is pretty much irrelevant once you know What you’re doing and Why. There’s millions of ways How, which is why questions starting with How usually indicate someone not thinking higher level.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I listened to it but can’t remember much. That probably proves your point.

I’d already attended a workshop by Blaise Brosnan where he explained the biggest management mistake was telling people how to do something rather than what needed done and why.

Why is more important than What which is more important than How.

The How is pretty much irrelevant once you know What you’re doing and Why. There’s millions of ways How, which is why questions starting with How usually indicate someone not thinking higher level.
Yeah that part of it was interesting and forced me to think harder about my own "why" but holy hell, it could have easily been half the length, so much fluff.

Gregory Carson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2020
United States, California
A reason to help two parties negotiate and agreement just arose, so I'm re-reading Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In, by Roger Fisher, William Ury, and Bruce Patton. A good book to have as a resource if you negotiate or mediate. A great book to read if you have not read about negotiation or mediation yet.

412AhEfOnuL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
A reason to help two parties negotiate and agreement just arose, so I'm re-reading Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In, by Roger Fisher, William Ury, and Bruce Patton. A good book to have as a resource if you negotiate or mediate. A great book to read if you have not read about negotiation or mediation yet.

View attachment 36611
I read never split the difference recently and he mentions this book is outdated, but I'd like to give it a read to compare the two actually. Not 100% sure if I trust Chris Voss lol.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Let my people go surfing
by Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia

At the same time:
Raise the Bar
By Gary Erickson, founder of Clif Bar

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah that part of it was interesting and forced me to think harder about my own "why" but holy hell, it could have easily been half the length, so much fluff.
I didn’t learn anything from it because Blaise had already gone through it, and many years before the book came out.

Here’s how I explain it to people now:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I like to indulge in some SF/Fantasy at times. I was an early adopter of George RR Martin as well and big fan of Tolkien's works.

And let me tell you this : these books blow Game of Thrones out of the water.

I'm calling it now - this has the potential to become the biggest popular culture hit the world has ever seen. Book 2 in the series "Words of Radiance" is the highest rated book of all time on Goodreads.com.

So you heard it here first. I guess.

Unfortunately Rhythm of War, the fourth book, is much worse than the previous installments. Hope it's an exception and not a trend.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Just bought spin selling.
IMG_20210209_155958.jpg

Also getting that bookmark is icing on the cake, and a good advertisement.

TylerJW

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 22, 2019
Seattle WA
Wrapping up "A Wise Man's Fear", the second book in the unfinished King Killer Chronicles. I made the mistake of starting another unfinished series...

Also re-reading The Millionaire Fastlane (after reading it maybe 5-6 years ago) as well as Dan Kennedy's No BS Guide to Branding. Love me some Dan Kennedy.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
The Old Man and the Boy, Robert Ruark. I noticed it's in print again and had to grab a paper copy. There's also an Audible version.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.