The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am finishing The Carnivore Code by Paul Saladino and starting Predatory Thinking by Dave Trott. Any of you have a good recommendation for a fitness book?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Currently reading 'Purple Cow' by Seth Godin:

purplecow.PNG

Great read so far. It's all about making your products or services remarkable. Reminds me a lot of what Mj says on violating your customer's expectations in positive ways. Wow them consistently. (SUCS I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong @MJ DeMarco )

Next on deck: Getting to YES, by Roger Fisher/Bruce Patton

Keivo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Aug 27, 2020
Estonia
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Can't hurt me - David Goggins, a very badass man whose early life was full of failure and pain but started kicking a$$ and dominate everything he does.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
41PbTmStvYL.jpg

What a crazy, indestructible superhero type of a guy. Sometimes it's cool to read about someone so strong, brave and driven that you'll never become even one tenth of him lol.

He led the team that made the first winter summit of K2 in January this year. Oh, and just because it wasn't difficult enough, he reached the summit without supplemental oxygen.

Schmidty_222

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 21, 2021
Thanks and that’s crazy!

@MTF will have to answer that - he is running all the campaigns.

Overall we have gotten some good rankings and I haven’t even sent to my email list or made a YT video yet.

Hopefully these images aren’t massive - I’m on a phone...

View attachment 37149
View attachment 37150
View attachment 37151
Hey @Fox ! Congrats! You got yourself a paying customer! I'll be getting the paperback because I'm just not a fan of reading on a kindle. I'm new to the forum and the Fastlane mindset, but I'm learning how to design my own webpage, and your book looks a perfect new read for me. Good luck on your sales and future endeavors. Thanks!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox ! Congrats! You got yourself a paying customer! I'll be getting the paperback because I'm just not a fan of reading on a kindle. I'm new to the forum and the Fastlane mindset, but I'm learning how to design my own webpage, and your book looks a perfect new read for me. Good luck on your sales and future endeavors. Thanks!

Thank you and welcome to the forum!

Tag me in any posts if you need me.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
71b5RWQm8ZL.jpg

Just finished reading this and really enjoyed it. I read it over around 3/4 days.

Hit home hard with a lot of things. I have great parents but I was raised with very little financial advice about how to save or invest money wisely. We were a typical middle class Irish family where the main goal is just to get by.

It was super interesting to see how from a young age you are primed to think and act with money in a certain way and since it is quite a private topic a lot of people never find out their approach is terrible.

It was very interesting to see how many people live way outside their pay grade and get very caught up in the status game. They just assume their hyper consummation is normal but they don't know they are comparing their spending to the spending of people with 5-10 times their wealth.

This book was written in 1996 too so I would imagine the problem is 10 times worse now. I knew people did this in the 18-35 year old "Instagram" bracket, but seeing that a lot of high earning people do this right up until 65 and then have zero to retire was eye opening.

Also this book shows a common cycle of wealth with entrepreneurs going through the hard years themselves, then becoming wealthy but sometimes spoiling their kids, who grow up unable to do well themselves, and then have their own kids who are nearly back at zero.

For anyone else who read this book would love to know your takeaways.
Do you see yourself as a UAW or PAW?

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am finishing to read No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline, by Brian Tracy. I liked this book. Maybe we find a lot of advice that you could read in others books, but it is a good book anyway.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
71T2NxLVIgL.jpg

Recommended by @Tiago. Very solid book so far (I'm at 26%) showing a very different way on how to get things done while doing less (so right up my alley as I'm a devoted fan of the 80/20 principle).

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Currently reading "the millionaire fastlane " my 3rd time

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
James Altucher mentioned the book Mastering Fear: A Navy SEAL's Guide by Brandon Webb.

Has something to say on turning fear into fuel. I thought this book may be similar to David Goggins' tome, but for some reasons, I feel like taking a closer look at the book. Maybe it's because of this week's whole host of F*cks for me...

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Make Time by Jake Knapp and John Zeratsky. A good productivity book that teaches various tips and tricks to get more out of your day without facing a burnout.

Dora Wi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 19, 2020
Hungary
I always fall into the habit of starting several books at the same time and kind of switch between them depending on what I feel like reading. Right now I am reading A Short History of the World from H. G. Wells - I started this a long ago but then kind of forgot about it in favour of other books. This is for general education, my knowledge about history is very poor and I feel bad about it, I think it is a big part of being a cultured person.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
512n4-Re+uL.jpg

Some interesting mindset stuff plus a different way to do business:

Not only do you not need to be the expert. You don’t want to be. Being an expert can often hurt your chances of success because it automatically focuses you on details that don’t move a business forward. Experts don’t usually make great entrepreneurs, yet most of them try to be one.

Fast forward to the present day, and I have a zero-hour work week with a fully self-managed business from which I collect passive distributions. The business has a CEO, it grows without me, and I collect 25% of the profits. It does over two million dollars per year in revenue with a wonderful margin for me. A few people have offered me $6,000,000 for the business, but I have declined.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Recently read The War Of Art By Stephen Pressfield.

Didn't really resonate with me. It was basically about doing the work even if you don't feel like it.

But like any good writer, he gave it a name and called it resistance.

Before that, I read Atomic Habits by James Clear.

Great book. I'd read similar books before (The Power of Habit, Eat that Frog, Deep Work, one other that was recommended on this forum...) but none of them were as jam-packed with value as Atomic Habits.

I haven't read all 32 pages of this thread but I imagine at least 8 people have mentioned this book previously. So I'll stop this review here. :)

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Just Re-read Seneca's On the Shortness of Life (more of an essay published as a small book), and completed the Discourses of Epictetus.
20210404_185951.jpg

The discourses come second to none in terms of preaching an internal locus of control. To an absurd degree.

Now reading thse two

20210404_190727.jpg

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
Scott Galloway - Post Corona

“From crisis to opportunity”. Nothing particularly profound. So far so good.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal

More: A History of the World Economy from the Iron Age to the Information Age

I am going crazy after the perfect book on ancient economics. I want to do deep research on the ancient entrepreneurs and how they invested smart back in the day. If anyone knows good books please share!

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am currently finishing Grit, a great book about hard work, that it's a great compliment with Discipline, the book I read before.

Lately I'd been working in my discipline, something that I lack in my life and I need to improve. Do you know another books about the subject?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Unscripted part 2, MJ sent me an early copy, what an amazing book so far, just on the second chapter...

The part where the character buys a Ferrari is quite hilarious!

Happy few days late April fools =) had to get that in..

Last edited:

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Unscripted part 2, MJ sent me an early copy, what an amazing book so far, just on the second chapter...

The part where the character buys a Ferrari is quite hilarious!

Happy few days late April fools =) had to get that in..
You serious? How I envy you!

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Actually, I'm reading The Unfair Advantage by Ash Ali, Hasan Kubba. It doesn't have anything new, it's more a collection of other books, and it has a lot of contradictions.

For example, it said that you have to be intelligent to achieve success but two paragraphs later it said that there is no correlation between intelligence and success.

I don't know, it has positive reviews in Goodreads, but the books is kind of funny. The authors say that in the world every day there are more inequality, but at the same time they are millionaires, and they got it from scratch. Yes, there are rich and poor people, but you can achieve something in life if you want it.

I almost forgot, in some passage of the book they talk about universal income. How is the idea of making money related to the old socialist believes that never worked?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007