The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The year of your iron word

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
This year has been quite a change.

I’m 27 now. A wrinkled old man, nearly collecting social security.

It felt like yesterday when I had a mattress on the floor of a 400 square foot place.

I was always the type of guy in school with wrinkled, torn up homework. Nothing was ever organized.

“Who cares, (insert excuse)”

This carried on with me for years.

Discipline and organization was for losers.

I hated it so much, I worked my a$$ off to run a business just so I wouldn’t need to be told to be disciplined or organized, ironically.

But my whole life had been shooting from the hip and not taking responsibility, “who cares, I’ll just have a maid clean the house”.

I kept pushing off things. And it’s tough when you’re smart, you can think yourself in or out of anything.

And although the business grew, I was negligent. I am able to slightly outpace my shortcomings, but as I’ve gotten older I look at my actions and lack of prudence and I’m embarrassed. It used to be funny “that’s just the way John is, lol”. But it wasn’t funny anymore.

It’s the little things, they aren’t little. The messy room. The busted taillight or expired tags on a company truck.

I was acting like I was going to wake up in a new life someday.

That I was just in a purgatory before my real life would begin, and once someday in the future came, everything would be different.

So I never worried about the details. I treated everything like a single use item. My environment, my business, even people. “I’ll get a new (insert thing in my life) later, so who cares about this one”.

Until you keep waking up, and every day was just like the day before.

And you add up a few years like that, and pretty soon you realize…your life will just be a memory of what you did with those days, where you were a moron.

I’ve always spent too much time thinking of an ideal perfect future, always imagining and dreaming.

Lately, I’ve changed a lot. I’ve pulled back from the future a bit. I looked around me and I’ve stopped trying to take shortcuts.

Now, what matters to me is living my days well.

Go to bed early. Wake up on time. Hit the gym religiously. Eat clean. Take the vitamins. Clean the house. Make the todo list. Do the work. Don’t be too good or too fancy to roll up your sleeves.

I’m not above anything now. I slow down and do things the right way.

I make sure to have every hard conversation I need to have.

I broke things off with my girl of 4 years. I fired a few people. A lot of other personal and spiritual changes.

To grow, to become something new, the old you must die. I look at the old me and I don’t feel attached to it. I don’t mind if it dies.

All of the existential questions are gone now. I know what I need to do. I feel like I’ve got enough time. I focus on each task with my full attention now.

I tell you this because it’s been a big lesson for me and maybe you might resonate with it.

One thing that’s changed is the importance of my word.

Lately, and going into the new year, the only thing that matters to me is the solidity of my word, to make sure that there is ZERO difference between what I say will happen, and what happens.

Start by promising less. Think deeply about what you can be sure of, and only say what you can fully promise. Then, stick to it. Keep it simple. “I will wake up at 5am tomorrow”. “I will eat 1800 calories tomorrow”. Make your word to yourself and others be as strong as iron.

This is how I measure myself now. The degree in which I stick to my word and follow through on the promises I make, whether it’s to myself, to God, to others.

Without this, you are full of shit. You can’t do anything. Even you yourself will know it’s all BS.

I will spend 0 time comparing. I’m happy for you that you made 13 million this year within 6 weeks of starting your business. That’s awesome. It has nothing to do with me.

I am taking my time and doing everything the right way. Taking pride in the small details. At the very least, in a greater way than I have before. Everything will happen when it needs to, but I will be certain to do the work and do it the right way.

It starts with your surroundings and your body. Sleep, nutrition, exercise, cleanliness, routine, optimization. Then your house gets clean. Then you fix the random stuff you’ve neglected. Make the todo list each night, follow it systematically. Your todo list is your word in a way. If you break it you break your word. So make sure what goes on there will actually get done.

It snowballs into things being all dialed in. Your health is great, you look and feel great, your mind is clean like your house, your business is dialed in, your employees are happy, your customers are happy, etc.

So this year, I’ll be continuing to focus on making sure my word is as strong as iron. I’ll be going slow, and doing everything the right way, neglecting nothing. With open eyes and an open mind, having the humility to revisit each thing as a beginner.

This year is the year of having an iron word.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Good ideas brother, happy to see your progress.

Part of this is about where life carries you — I’ve put a lot of effort in my life, but sometimes I do wonder if I wouldn’t have ended up in a similar place with less effort.

I used to have a very regimented life — like you, everything was scheduled and all the i’s were dotted. Workout in the morning, business, time with my girlfriend, time for family and so on.

One big difference I notice between us is that you have (or had) a lot of confidence, whereas I’ve always been afraid of losing. In my life, the fear was a big help, since it enabled me to get the most out of the resources I had, rather than always look for new ones.

I own the same two properties I had 5 years ago, been with the same partner, and so on. Basically I hate change, change scares me. That has ensured that I’ve always been protective of what I’ve had — people, resources, and so on.

But I stopped seeing this as my merit — it’s simply how I was born, with an avoidant, anxious personality, so whatever I’ve done has been staying true to my nature. I don’t think that deserves a medal lol.

So what’s the right move for you? Johnny seems to be high energy, confident. It seems that you don’t like some of the problems Johnny has because of high energy and confidence. Is that worth changing, or maybe it’s better accepting Johnny and his problems? Just remember that being hyper disciplined brings its own set of problems. Is it worth making the trade?

I don’t have any advice, just make sure you clarify what your end goal is, what you truly want in the end. Because if you’re guided by that, then you can’t really go wrong. I’m happy with my life, looking back today is where I dreamed I’d be 10 years ago. You want to make sure that that’s the case all the time for you. Keep dreaming and achieving, your way!

BRIANDAVE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 5, 2020

It felt like yesterday when I had a mattress on the floor of a 400 square foot place.

I was always the type of guy in school with wrinkled, torn up homework. Nothing was ever organized.

I hated it so much, I worked my a$$ off to run a business just so I wouldn’t need to be told to be disciplined or organized, ironically.

But my whole life had been shooting from the hip and not taking responsibility, “who cares, I’ll just have a maid clean the house”.

I kept pushing off things. And it’s tough when you’re smart, you can think yourself in or out of anything.

And although the business grew, I was negligent. I am able to slightly outpace my shortcomings, but as I’ve gotten older I look at my actions and lack of prudence and I’m embarrassed. It used to be funny “that’s just the way John is, lol”. But it wasn’t funny anymore.

It’s the little things, they aren’t little. The messy room. The busted taillight or expired tags on a company truck.

That I was just in a purgatory before my real life would begin, and once someday in the future came, everything would be different.

So I never worried about the details. I treated everything like a single use item. My environment, my business, even people. “I’ll get a new (insert thing in my life) later, so who cares about this one”.

And you add up a few years like that, and pretty soon you realize…your life will just be a memory of what you did with those days, where you were a moron.

I’ve always spent too much time thinking of an ideal perfect future, always imagining and dreaming.

Lately, I’ve changed a lot. I’ve pulled back from the future a bit. I looked around me and I’ve stopped trying to take shortcuts.

Go to bed early. Wake up on time. Hit the gym religiously. Eat clean. Take the vitamins. Clean the house. Make the todo list. Do the work. Don’t be too good or too fancy to roll up your sleeves.

I broke things off with my girl of 4 years. I fired a few people. A lot of other personal and spiritual changes.

To grow, to become something new, the old you must die. I look at the old me and I don’t feel attached to it. I don’t mind if it dies.

All of the existential questions are gone now. I know what I need to do. I feel like I’ve got enough time. I focus on each task with my full attention now.

I tell you this because it’s been a big lesson for me and maybe you might resonate with it.

Lately, and going into the new year, the only thing that matters to me is the solidity of my word, to make sure that there is ZERO difference between what I say will happen, and what happens.

Start by promising less. Think deeply about what you can be sure of, and only say what you can fully promise. Then, stick to it. Keep it simple. “I will wake up at 5am tomorrow”. “I will eat 1800 calories tomorrow”. Make your word to yourself and others be as strong as iron.

This is how I measure myself now. The degree in which I stick to my word and follow through on the promises I make, whether it’s to myself, to God, to others.

Without this, you are full of shit. You can’t do anything. Even you yourself will know it’s all BS.

I will spend 0 time comparing. I’m happy for you that you made 13 million this year within 6 weeks of starting your business. That’s awesome. It has nothing to do with me.

I am taking my time and doing everything the right way. Taking pride in the small details. At the very least, in a greater way than I have before. Everything will happen when it needs to, but I will be certain to do the work and do it the right way.

It starts with your surroundings and your body. Sleep, nutrition, exercise, cleanliness, routine, optimization. Then your house gets clean. Then you fix the random stuff you’ve neglected. Make the todo list each night, follow it systematically. Your todo list is your word in a way. If you break it you break your word. So make sure what goes on there will actually get done.

It snowballs into things being all dialed in. Your health is great, you look and feel great, your mind is clean like your house, your business is dialed in, your employees are happy, your customers are happy, etc.

So this year, I’ll be continuing to focus on making sure my word is as strong as iron. I’ll be going slow, and doing everything the right way, neglecting nothing. With open eyes and an open mind, having the humility to revisit each thing as a beginner.

Nothing better than being true to oneself and learning from mistakes. i'm rooting for you, brother

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023

Fukn A man. This is awesome, it sounds like you have really made a huge positive change in your life. Keep it up! Very motivating post.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Start by promising less. Think deeply about what you can be sure of, and only say what you can fully promise. Then, stick to it. Keep it simple. “I will wake up at 5am tomorrow”. “I will eat 1800 calories tomorrow”. Make your word to yourself and others as strong as iron.
I'm taking notes.

Thanks for the post and for displaying your character development.

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
I like the improvement of yours, big bro. Keep it that way!

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Dec 5, 2020
I can relate with your sloppyness unfortunately. For instance one of our crews were stranded on the highway because I didn’t schedule maintenance at the garage. I figured the van could still ride for a while (I really was to lazy to make a call). All in all it cost me €1200,- apart from the maintenance that needed to be done. My life has been full of these stupid actions. We spent more than €2500,- on fines this year because the insurances of our cars were not in order this year etc… It feels so stupid and like a big waste to see these numbers.

Also about what you said: ‘thats how Johnny is’ my guys also say that about me and my partner. Luckily i’m a little bit more organized that he is, but still I felt that these kind of things shouldn’t happen anymore. That’s why we hired a director to run the operations of the company. Besides that I have been working on this and slowly i’m getting there.

What black dragon said though is the other side of the medal. Because we have a personality that favours excitement, doesn’t like the small details, and is okay with taking a little risk we can do a lot more. You and I have grown our companies at a pace where others wonder how the F*ck we did it. Well I know how: doing things 80% right. If you do everything for 100% perfect you do a lot less because the last 20% takes the most time!

Needless to say that this is not an excuse to do things halfway. In the end we are all human, but it’s good to be straight to ourselves and adress where we’re lacking.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.