The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Burden of Having to Make Shit Up

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
So yesterday was a total eclipse that made its way across the U.S. and around 1pm the southern half of our city was right in the path of totality, so a major event for us (First one here since 1878).

I was hanging out with a group of non-entrepreneur friends tonight, and we were sharing stories about the eclipse and where we went to watch it.

Friend 1: “So I set up a Teams meeting, get this, with only myself!!!, and set it for 3 hours and called it “Important Meeting”, then I snuck out the back door and got my kids and we went to watch the eclipse. I was back before the end of the day and nobody even knew I was gone!!!”.

Friend 2: “So I’m on-boarding into a new role, and my trainer, he told his boss that him and I were going to do some offsite “training” and then we snuck out for an hour and a half to watch the eclipse”.

It’s not too often I hang out with middle aged people fully entrenched in careers, but hearing all of that made me extremely thankful of just how long I’ve been able to live life without the burden of having to feel the need to make shit up to do the things I want to do.

Years ago, I was a teacher, and my FTE was when I asked my principal if I could take off the Friday before Thanksgiving break (this was against school policy because there are never enough available substitutes on this day).

Why did I need to take off? Because my brother was getting married and I was the best man.

She tells me “You can’t take off that day, it’s against policy. If I let you take off, how would that be fair to the other teachers?”

“I understand that I’m not allowed to take that day off. However, I’m just letting you know, that it’s my brother’s wedding and I’m going to be taking that day off anyways, and I’ve arranged for a sub to cover my class”.

“Well I’m going to have to write you up then and it’s going in your file”.

And that’s why I was a shitty employee. Because I couldn’t help but tell the truth when I thought policy was stupid. I wasn’t going to bear the burden of having to try and lie and sneak and get away with things. What a dehumanizing and demoralizing way to live life. F*ck that.

So anyways, what did I do for the eclipse?

I let my kids skip school, we went to the grocery store and loaded up on burgers, hot dogs, etc. put our swim suits on and biked 8 miles down to the lake (our house was about 5 miles outside the line of totality). Swam and played on the rocks for a couple of hours, peeking through our glasses periodically as the moon made progress and the burgers grilled. Got to witness an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime natural phenomenon for one minute of totality (indescribable… if you have the opportunity, go see one) then we biked back.

On the way back, we stopped on a whim into the firefighter museum that was right off the bike trail. The kids have been asking a lot lately about 9/11 so we talked about the pictures and there was even a little memorial with a piece of one of the real girders from the wreckage.

No permission needed to be asked from my boss.

I didn’t have to invent a relative so that they could have an unexpected funeral.

I never checked an email or opened a laptop or answered an employee question.

I felt like not working, so I didn’t work, and my kids got to experience this amazing 100% eclipse, while their friends at school were stuck looking at the 99% eclipse because their parents were stuck at work.

Oh, and because I’m not a shitty boss, when my employees asked me “Hey can we take the afternoon off and bike down to the lake to watch the eclipse?” I said “You bet, and I’m coming too!” It’s a once in a 300-year event in our city, what’s so important about an afternoon of work?

It’s been 8 years since I’ve had a day job and even though entrepreneurship has had its ups and downs, I wouldn’t want to be doing life any other way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I didn’t like the pace of focusing really hard from 8.30-6 and your brain feels fried.

In theory you can hustle something else right after work but the biology is really tough.

I rather work 7 days a week at a more friendly pace, that is more biologically sustainable towards perpetual learning and experimentation.

Any decently paying job these day is much more than a job these days. It’s pretty expected for slowlaners to learn coding on the side, taking up professional certifications with exams and planning with job-hopping interviews.

In business you play the game with starting lower payout but possible higher asymmetrical return.

In a job you started higher payout at start but the end game is getting replaced by AI or a remote worker in India/Philipine. The higher you climb the more you get fearful.

Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I didn’t like the pace of focusing really hard from 8.30-6 and your brain feels fried.

In theory you can hustle something else right after work but the biology is really tough.

I rather work 7 days a week at a more friendly pace, that is more biologically sustainable towards perpetual learning and experimentation.

Any decently paying job these day is much more than a job these days. It’s pretty expected for slowlaners to learn coding on the side, taking up professional certifications with exams and planning with job-hopping interviews.

In business you play the game with starting lower payout but possible higher asymmetrical return.

In a job you started higher payout at start but the end game is getting replaced by AI or a remote worker in India/Philipine. The higher you climb the more you get fearful.
7 days a week feels more natural, yes.

Working 8 or 10 hours a day, Mon-Fri will yield similar results to working 3-4 hours daily including weekends (peak productive time). This means you save 12-22 hours of time per week. You now have the whole afternoon to exercise, eat healthy, learn new things, spend time with family etc. Low stress. This makes you more productive and energetic in the hours you do work. It also gives space to think, plan and automate tasks, making you even more productive.

If you prioritize and do the important 1-2 needle-moving business tasks before lunch, every day, you progress fast. It's very easy to get stuck with busy-work though, especially if you have the idea that it's the TIME spent working that matters, not what gets done, and the long-term impact.

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Working 8 or 10 hours a day, Mon-Fri will yield similar results to working 3-4 hours daily including weekends (peak productive time)

40-50 hours can be crammed into 21-28 hours. Sounds like someone wastes a lot of time. :rofl:

Hopefully people don't bring this attitude to business building.

I don't know how this relates to the original post.

So yesterday was a total eclipse that made its way across the U.S. and around 1pm the southern half of our city was right in the path of totality, so a major event for us (First one here since 1878).

I was hanging out with a group of non-entrepreneur friends tonight, and we were sharing stories about the eclipse and where we went to watch it.

Friend 1: “So I set up a Teams meeting, get this, with only myself!!!, and set it for 3 hours and called it “Important Meeting”, then I snuck out the back door and got my kids and we went to watch the eclipse. I was back before the end of the day and nobody even knew I was gone!!!”.

Friend 2: “So I’m on-boarding into a new role, and my trainer, he told his boss that him and I were going to do some offsite “training” and then we snuck out for an hour and a half to watch the eclipse”.

It’s not too often I hang out with middle aged people fully entrenched in careers, but hearing all of that made me extremely thankful of just how long I’ve been able to live life without the burden of having to feel the need to make shit up to do the things I want to do.

Years ago, I was a teacher, and my FTE was when I asked my principal if I could take off the Friday before Thanksgiving break (this was against school policy because there are never enough available substitutes on this day).

Why did I need to take off? Because my brother was getting married and I was the best man.

She tells me “You can’t take off that day, it’s against policy. If I let you take off, how would that be fair to the other teachers?”

“I understand that I’m not allowed to take that day off. However, I’m just letting you know, that it’s my brother’s wedding and I’m going to be taking that day off anyways, and I’ve arranged for a sub to cover my class”.

And that’s why I was a shitty employee. Because I couldn’t help but tell the truth when I thought policy was stupid. I wasn’t going to bear the burden of having to try and lie and sneak and get away with things. What a dehumanizing and demoralizing way to live life. F*ck that.

I let my kids skip school, we went to the grocery store and loaded up on burgers, hot dogs, etc. put our swim suits on and biked 8 miles down to the lake (our house was about 5 miles outside the line of totality). Swam and played on the rocks for a couple of hours, peeking through our glasses periodically as the moon made progress and the burgers grilled. Got to witness an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime natural phenomenon for one minute of totality (indescribable… if you have the opportunity, go see one) then we biked back.

On the way back, we stopped on a whim into the firefighter museum that was right off the bike trail. The kids have been asking a lot lately about 9/11 so we talked about the pictures and there was even a little memorial with a piece of one of the real girders from the wreckage.

I didn’t have to invent a relative so that they could have an unexpected funeral.

I felt like not working, so I didn’t work, and my kids got to experience this amazing 100% eclipse, while their friends at school were stuck looking at the 99% eclipse because their parents were stuck at work.

Oh, and because I’m not a shitty boss, when my employees asked me “Hey can we take the afternoon off and bike down to the lake to watch the eclipse?” I said “You bet, and I’m coming too!” It’s a once in a 300-year event in our city, what’s so important about an afternoon of work?

It’s been 8 years since I’ve had a day job and even though entrepreneurship has had its ups and downs, I wouldn’t want to be doing life any other way.

Great reminder of why we do what we do.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

That's a great story.

I was just telling my wife that the best thing about our lives is we make our schedule; work when we want, sleep, go to gym, play .... everything is when we feel like it and not dictated by some corporation.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
That's a great story.

I was just telling my wife that the best thing about our lives is we make our schedule; work when we want, sleep, go to gym, play .... everything is when we feel like it and not dictated by some corporation.
A little bit of time freedom goes a long way in lifestyle improvement.

I'm not completely free of having to input my time into the business, nor am I financially independent yet.

But I have hired myself out of the day to day responsibilities of my business, and am only working on bigger strategic initiatives, building systems, etc. Things that need to be done to eventually make the business a sellable asset at a high multiple.

And those things are non-urgent, and can always be done next week, if there's something else I feel like doing this week instead.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.