The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I get a job related to my field of study?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Adrin510

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 26, 2023
France
Hi everyone,

I feel pretty lost about the next steps I should take in my life, and hope to get some good advice thanks to this forum.

First of all, I feel like it's time for me to leave the family home for many reasons (my mom won't stand me any longer at her place and I get it, need to get responsible, and need to see/live other thing and leaving the place I grew up in).

I would've preferred to get into entrepreneurship sooner (like during my studies) but I wasn't aware of life reality and its traps (sidewalk and slowlane), and I now have to face them.

Thanks to this video by MJ DeMarco:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_58zPgArb4
I now know that I have to climb the stairs towards wealth success road and it starts with a foundational job to pay the bills since I plan to live alone and I'm okay with that.

I graduated in marketing (bullshit degree) a few months ago and am supposed to be qualified to work as a product manager in the food industry.
I never knew what I wanted to do in life so I just let myself be carried away, following the subject I was good at. I graduated just because it is what a big part of the youngsters are told to do.
I think I could suit this job, and to have an insight into the food industry is quite interessant, but on the other side, based on my previous experiences (through internships) I feel useless at work (being on excel most of the time), and I hate the office working environnement: having to fake relations with colleagues, being forced to spend lunch time with them or trying not being frowned upon by them.
All this time I tried to legitimate my studies but I guess it was more to satisfy commitment and consistency.

Actually, the truth is I feel like I've lost 5 years studying for a bullshit job, and the only thought of moving out to work in this field is making me sick. I can predict the dissatisfaction combined to the rise of Indentured time caused by this job.

Working in fields like IT, sciences or trades are a better option because you feel useful, and you do have some expertise in a specific field, which is not the case for me.
I consider it is now too late to reorient just for a foundational job (I'm 24 yo), and that the next skills I'll dedicate time to learn must serve my Fastlane/Unscription venture.

Going back to the main topic of the thread, I need to get a foundational job and move out before climbing the other stairs but I wanted to know if I should pursue working into my field of study for which I studied 5 years although I'm not convinced at all or, if I'm looking for a "bullshit job" (and a place to live) I might as well look for one with more advantages like indentured time to free as a much time as possible.

Thanks a lot if you made it so far, I've been thinking about it for a long time and maybe I'm overthinking it and should just get a job related to my studies but I definitely need some advice to move on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where do you want to be in 5 or 10 years?

Make a decision that moves the needle toward your bigger goal.

In this case, it might not make a difference in what job you take.

The bills don't care what job pays them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...