The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go with a start up even through it is not in my field?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Hi,

I am currently in my masters studying electrical engineering. I have joined a start - up in the field of education technology. Furthermore, I really like the idea and want to push it, but one big thing is bugging me.
While I love the idea, my true passion lies in technology. The thing is, I most likely won't start a tech start-up in this field in the near future because of the high entrance level for what I am interested in (Nanotechnology, that what I want to do requires years of fundamental research). My master only goes 3 Semesters, so I will finish pretty soon. The question is what to do?

My first idea is to do a PhD after my masters. While doing this I can on the one side still follow my passion, on the other side also work on the start-up. Would that work or do you think this is prone to fail?
Should I just leave ? Any advice on how to approach this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
follow my passion
I would be careful using this reasoning to make you decision.

One of my favorite points from MJs books is his critique of the "Do what you love." advice for people.

If you're interested in Nanotechnology that's great, but from what I understand at a high-level, it's more of a tool to solve problems, not a product in itself. I've learned more in months of actual real world experience than 4 years of a university.

I would recommend you learn while working towards build something rather than to keep absorbing knowledge in a university and waiting for when you "know it all", because you never will have everything you need to succeed.

You don't know what you need to know until you need to know it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.