The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seeking guidance

Anything related to matters of the mind

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 17, 2013
I wasn't sure where to post this. I figured this is as good as a place as any.

Before I ask you what I am hoping to get out of this post, let me tell you a little about what I've done up to this point.

First, my life is comfortable. That's a big deal to me because it hasn't always been that way. I was a runaway and homeless for a brief period in my teens, and have been living on my own since I was 15 years old. I spent a good deal of my adult life living well below the poverty level. And as recently as 2--6 I was evicted from my apartment and almost ended up homeless again. So being comfortable means a lot to me. I currently live an upper middle-class life. I have a bueatiful wife, two awesome kids, a nice house, a car, etc. etc. But that being said, I still work 40 hours a week. The job is cushy and pays well, but I know I am capable of more.

I've always been entrepreneurial, I've just never been a very good entrepreneur. My most successful business to date made me about $24k a year and I had to close it down for reasons far more complicated than is worth getting into back in 2004.

In 2012 while I was unemployed I created a financial education card game. If you read my post history you can see where I got stuck. In short, I wasn't very good at design or marketing. I'm more educated in those areas now, but I still have a lot to learn.

In October 2013 (right after I read the Millionaire Fastlane ) a buddy that I met at work had what I felt was a great idea. We went into business together and we both spent a year and a lot of money really trying to make it work. It was an app based business, but neither of us knew how to code. Because we were not making revenue yet and the costs for revisions were skyrocketing, we decided to throw in the towel. It had simply become a money suck. In hindsight, even if the coding were free I don't think it would have worked very well. The demand wasn't as high as I'd like and the revenue model was weak at best. Additionally, the most valuable lesson I learned during this venture was to build your market first. It is a lot easier to sell products to people who are already interested in what you are doing.

So I taught myself how to code. In the last 8 months I've learned Java, C#, and Swift. I'm not the best but I'm good enough that I've created another app (almost... I probably have a month to go). Essentially, I created an app based on the financial card game I built in 2012. Though I plan to release this app I'm working on, releasing an app is not the plan. The world doesn't need another financial education app. It was just a way to teach myself how to code. It also gave me some time to think about what the world does need.

I've concluded that the next two big things coming down the pipeline in the next 10 years are Virtual Reality and Consumer Robotics. And although I'm very familiar with both technologies and what they are capable of, I am not educated in either. The one that interest me the most is Consumer Robotics.

So, what I'm looking for is feedback on my plan.

1) Build an audience using a blog, twitter, and Facebook, and possible Reddit (I don't have a game plan for Reddit yet). Through consistent interaction and by providing good content, I will slowly grow an audience.

2) Teach myself how to build robots. I have a near genius IQ. I have no doubt I am capable and have already started to learn the basics.

3) Monitor developments in the field and look for a specific need to fill. For example, I already have an idea for something that would blow the pants off the recent winner in the DARPA competition. I'm just not capable of building it quite yet.

I'm guessing the above will take around 3-5 years. But in 3 - 5 years I see the following things happening (if I stick to this plan)

1) Consumer Robotics will really start to become mainstream and become an everyday part of life.
2) Because I know the field so well I'll be able to spot needs ahead of others.
3) Because I will have been building an audience over this time, I will have an easier time launching a product. I can also build a product around their needs.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I googled "consumer robotics" and these guys are the top search and they are doing everything you said http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/ How are you going to be different? Are you going to have to niche down? Who is your market?

I have a near genius IQ
Maybe that's the problem? You learned this, that and a third but are stuck in a learning loop without doubling down and becoming an expert in anything. "Feedback on a plan" what the hell is that? Build something tangible and get real world feedback.

Tl;dr Ideas are worthless, just get to work and the market will tell you.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I had a plan, as a hustle, to get Raspberry Pis, build R2-D2 bots, sell, make $500 profit. The key is to take action and do something, and eventually "the big idea" will come to.

Also, don't bet your future on something else will become mainstream. Think about those people who bet their houses on Segway related businesses? I don't know any specific examples but I'm sure it happened.

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 17, 2013
"Build something tangible and get real world feedback."

Maybe you missed the part where I built the card game and the app... and both flopped.

I also have the financial education app almost ready to go. (That would be the thing I'm an expert on and get paid for).

Building "things" is the easy part.

Getting people to buy them is the part I need work on. That's why I wanted to build a market first this time.

Having a relationship with thousands of people will make it easier to sell the things I build. No?

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 17, 2013
Also, don't bet your future on something else will become mainstream. Think about those people who bet their houses on Segway related businesses? I don't know any specific examples but I'm sure it happened.

That's why I'm reluctant to build something specific. I don't know how robotics will become an everyday part our lives just yet. I just think it is predictable that it will.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
You're missing the point here....Build something, of value, that MAKES SURE robotics become part of our daily lives. Build a robot that is so useful, people can't live without it everyday.

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 17, 2013
You're missing the point here....Build something, of value, that MAKES SURE robotics become part of our daily lives. Build a robot that is so useful, people can't live without it everyday.

Yes.

1) learning how to build such a thing and then actually doing it will take approximately 3-5 years. I've already started the learning process and coming up with designs.

2) Building a robot is not the same as selling a robot. Since it's going to take 3-5 years of learning and building ANYWAYS...

DOESN'T IT MAKE SENSE TO START AGGRIGATING A MARKET NOW???

What are some good ways to do this?

That's what I'm trying to determine.

backstabbeth

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 2, 2015
That's why I'm reluctant to build something specific. I don't know how robotics will become an everyday part our lives just yet.
So your worried about how your going to sell your consumer robot, but will figure out what need that robot is going to fill later?
When I was 10 years old in 1997, I also knew robots were one day going to be huge. I would spend the time that I was supposed to be cleaning my room, trying to build a robot out of K'nex and Legos, that would be able to clean up my K'nex and legos. I could never quite work out all the kinks though...
P.S. don't steal my idea, bro.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.