The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
if you guys were 15 years old, knew how to code, video edit and all that, whats the first thing you'd do

Start a service based business. You are time rich and cash poor.

Doesn't even need to be with those skills.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
can i have a example

Things you should probably do:
- Mowing Lawns
- Cleaning off roofs
- Cleaning windows

- Website Designs
- Website Coding
- Video Editing for tiktoks / other short video platforms for ads
- Copy writing

There are so many more but I would suggest doing something like the ones in bold that actually make money and not the others simply because they are your "passion". Everyone is doing the bottom ones because nobody wants to do the actual hard work.

I think you would find @Johnny boy insignful.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
- Mowing Lawns
- Cleaning off roofs
- Cleaning windows

- Website Designs
- Website Coding
- Copy writing

There are so many more but I would suggest doing something like the ones in bold that actually make money and not the others simply because they are your "passion". Everyone is doing the bottom ones because nobody wants to do the actual hard work.

I know I gotta put in the hard work and not follow my "passion" because It isn't "me me me!!!!!", thanks for the advice man I will certainly check out johnny boy

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
- Mowing Lawns
- Cleaning off roofs
- Cleaning windows

- Website Designs
- Website Coding
- Copy writing

question, what do you think is the best site for finding job offers on mowing lawns/cleaning roofs/cleaning windows, I live in ireland and I cannot find any job offers on the facebook marketplace and we don't really have craigslist here in Ireland

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
question, what do you think is the best site for finding job offers on mowing lawns/cleaning roofs/cleaning windows, I live in ireland and I cannot find any job offers on the facebook marketplace and we don't really have craigslist here in Ireland

Going door to door seems like the best way to do it.

A better question for Johnny, if you DM him he usually answers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
it takes seven to eight interactions to get someone to become familiar with you/your product¨

Valid? or an over/under exagerration?

BS put forth by old school ad agencies and direct marketing bro-marketers. Believe this and they get more business. Plain and simple. It also excuses them from performance... "well you only placed the ad once!"

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
Going door to door seems like the best way to do it.

A better question for Johnny, if you DM him he usually answers.
I feel like they'll offer me like peanuts or something because of my age, but I'll ask johnny about this anyway thanks for the help man

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
So this is the thing. You are looking for everything to come to you on a platter. The change of mindset needed is this: to create opportunities for yourself.

Not saying it's easy -- I'm just saying that's the difference between the "find a job" mentality and the Fastlane approach.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I feel like they'll offer me like peanuts or something because of my age, but I'll ask johnny about this anyway thanks for the help man

Offer your services to people. I would suggest you go door to door or create fliers and drop off a few thousand of them offering your services. They don't offer you the price, you tell them the price. If they say no you move onto the next one.

So this is the thing. You are looking for everything to come to you on a platter. The change of mindset needed is this: to create opportunities for yourself.

Not saying it's easy -- I'm just saying that's the difference between the "find a job" mentality and the Fastlane approach.

Agreed.

Last edited:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Jesus Christ, if you listen to every self-development podcaster on Spotify, they resolutely declare that they are following their passion, and that the secret to success is that you should do the same... but only if you sign up for their 6-figure training which tells you how to follow your passion just like them, teaching others how to follow their passion.

It's like a big motivational Ponzi scheme where everyone is selling the same circular bullshit... you can follow your passion by teaching others how to follow their passion. It's like the Greater Fool Theory and Ponzi had a love child.

It's one of those titbits of information that 'FEELS' so right and is so carelessly accepted and followed as gospel - doesn't help when it's promoted by huge influential and successful personalities. It's information that can set you off course for a decade (or sometimes a lifetime).

Saying that, when I hear someone preach the opposite (F*ck passion, listen to the market's problems) it's a great indicator that they're someone worth listening to, so that's useful.

To be frank I have a top 0.01% physique and vast health/fitness knowledge (and VERY passionate - lol), I get asked very regularly why I'm not a personal trainer etc... I love to help people with health & fitness. To which I reply, the market doesn't need the 750,000th personal trainer... Could I be creative and have an edge/USP? Probably. But the market saturation in fitness is pretty much a result of that one special line... follow your passion.

You'd be operating your business in a +120% gravity environment, why make it harder on yourself?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Maybe this already exists but a cool business idea would be to have a space with a bunch of mini kitchens you can rent for a few hours. Like invite some people to meet up for a meal or have a date where you cook together.

The place could even sell some wine or desserts etc.

- Way more social
- Meet other people
- Easier on everyone (its not someones house)
- No need to clean up your whole place to have people over for food

Is this already a thing? I have never seen it in real life if so.
Some 14 yrs ago there was a start up franchise doing this in AZ. I had a location as a client. You'd cook a great meal together and eat it or take it home. They also did cooking classes, hosted mixers, even prepped "ready to cook" meals for the busy professionals, but it wasn't very profitable and didn't last long. Eating there was an issue because there wasn't space for proper dining (they would need different licensing too, apparently). And taking it home meant it got cold.

The alternative of going to a restaurant for less money and not having to do the work yourself proved to be the more favored alternative.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Looking for job offers is for stupid low IQ employee mindset losers

Advertise like a real business and bring the people to you

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Did anyone else on here have a "RIP Randy Rhoads" T-Shirt at age 13, decades after Rhoads' death was even slightly relevant?
Randy Rhoads' death is always relevant. The man was 25 when he died and is one of the most influential (metal) guitarists of all time. Imagine the sort of thing he could have done had he lived a full life!!!

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
Following one's passion is not popular here (for good reasons), but sometimes it works amazingly well.

I just found a video from the maker of Photopea, he discusses the story about how and why he made the free Photoshop online alternative. He has an insane amount of people using it daily, in 2020 he made over $1M almost all from advertisements. Neil Patel wanted to buy this business from him for $20M, but he turned the offer down. Neil Patel is claiming he can easily turn the business to $72M / year.

It seems that if someone is passionate enough about something that has the potential to "get viral," it can work really well in the end. Stardust Valley is another example of this kind of passion turned into a profitable business.

There is also AMA on Reddit and Indiehackers (if someone is more interested in Photopea).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That saying that goes something like

¨it takes seven to eight interactions to get someone to become familiar with you/your product¨

Valid? or an over/under exagerration?
Your bathroom is leaking into your kitchen below.

You Google "emergency plumbers near me".

You spot an ad for a 24/7 plumber in your location and click.

The landing page says they're emergency plumbers in your location, have a 24/7 helpline, and can be there in 30 minutes.

You decide not to ring because you haven't come across them 6 times before.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Following one's passion is not popular here (for good reasons), but sometimes it works amazingly well.

I just found a video from the maker of Photopea, he discusses the story about how and why he made the free Photoshop online alternative. He has an insane amount of people using it daily, in 2020 he made over $1M almost all from advertisements. Neil Patel wanted to buy this business from him for $20M, but he turned the offer down. Neil Patel is claiming he can easily turn the business to $72M / year.

It seems that if someone is passionate enough about something that has the potential to "get viral," it can work really well in the end. Stardust Valley is another example of this kind of passion turned into a profitable business.

There is also AMA on Reddit and Indiehackers (if someone is more interested in Photopea).
It seems like he was passionate about solving a problem millions of other people also wanted solved.

It's about being passionate about helping/entertaining/educating other people, AND also figuring out how to get paid, then scale.

The forum doesn't like the "do what YOU'RE passionate about" advice that doesn't take into account serving others.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The message is basically just to be lazy and not do anything? Where does it go? Sounds like it goes nowhere, rather than somewhere good, exciting, or productive.

Very different from Fastlane!

It's not about being lazy. It's about giving minimal output at your meaningless day job. Seen in a positive light, this can mean that you are now left with more energy to pursue your own interests. Of course, many will end up giving minimal output at their day jobs and then go home to play video games or Netflix.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
if you guys were 15 years old, knew how to code, video edit and all that, whats the first thing you'd do
Provide a business service creating/editing videos.

... while setting up a YouTube channel and figuring out how to grow and monetise it.

Then providing YouTube channel growth as a service.

Then adding YouTube Ads as a service on top of it.

Rope in your cousins and friends.

Our 11 year old last week learning Camtasia by creating a YouTube short:

20220812_194227.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's not about being lazy. It's about giving minimal output at your meaningless day job. Seen in a positive light, this can mean that you are now left with more energy to pursue your own interests. Of course, many will end up giving minimal output at their day jobs and then go home to play video games or Netflix.
Minimal output or minimal input?

I've not read the article. I was lazy when I was an IT contractor. I documented and automated everything until I had nothing to do. I even told people I'd do that in interviews.

I still try to do minimal input...

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
From my experience when I had a job I always gave it 110%, it got me nowhere.

Once I knew I was leaving I started slacking big time, I enjoyed it a lot more and actually ended up getting treated better.

I didn’t read the article but I think something to consider is how badly companies are run now.

People on here would naturally assume that if you worked harder you will get rewarded more and promoted and go further etc but I think that’s just not the case with most companies now.

They’re so woke they promote people based on gender etc. Or they promote based on who’s their mate. Or they don’t promote people because the older staff won’t leave. They don’t set metrics or bonuses or kpis because they don’t want to offend anyone. Or they give you more work but no extra money.

Something to consider if anyone is surprised by this and wants to call people lazy.

There’s very likely just no point in working harder, they can come to work and do nothing and get paid and their employer probably just doesn’t care.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
It seems like he was passionate about solving a problem millions of other people also wanted solved.

That's why I said the potential to "get viral," (a possibility to be useful to others). But if you look at the story, if he wanted to solve the problem other people have he most likely wouldn't even start that route. He would have made market research finding that people are not really interested in the product or that there is some other reason for not starting it (Adobe as a competitor, etc.).

His product is not 10x better than Photoshop, and there are other free and OSS alternatives (Krita, GIMP, ...). Being online does not seem like a big value skew. He even said that he did not do any marketing and the post on ProducHunt he did got zero traction at the beginning.

It's about being passionate about helping/entertaining/educating other people, AND also figuring out how to get paid, then scale.

The forum doesn't like the "do what YOU'RE passionate about" advice that doesn't take into account serving others.

His example was not about passion to help or educate other people. It was probably a "selfish" desire to do what he is interested in and learn along the way. If he wanted to teach others he would probably start building in public, blog posting, and building an audience first.

Not every "passion" is the same, if someone is passionate about watching Netflix all day then there is no chance to build a profitable business around it.

But the right kind of passion (obsession) can be very profitable in the end. Stardust Valley maker was building what he wanted, he did not care what other people wanted. Tesla was most likely inventing his shit with no interest to help others, but some discoveries could made him a millionaire.

If you are passionate about doing something, it will not feel like work, you will gladly spend a lot of time doing it. By spending a lot of time doing it, you will get better and might create something useful and very profitable in the end as a byproduct. This is not a recipe for success, but following a passion (if it is the right kind of passion) can lead to success.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Just spent a week on a Greek island and 4 hours on a mini yacht (nothing special, but we'd had never gone on one before so we jumped on the most basic one we could find) in the open sea blasting Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out of My Head and other "boomer" songs with my girlfriend.

IMG_20220817_153357.jpg

received_3362981083940781.jpeg

I earn around $2000-3000 on average per month working approx.1-2 hrs a week. One could say I'm lazy as I can easily 10x that (or more) and still only work 10-20 hours a week, but making more is just not a priority - nor a necessity - for me at the moment.

However, do keep in mind that this kind of money goes further here than in the West. To give you guys a rough estimate, I would likely need to earn 4-5x what I earn now to be able to afford the same lifestyle in the U.S

By the way, this is my second beach holiday in the past 30 days. And despite having dinner at the best resturants here on the daily, I am not down on money this month.

Having said that, I can't wait to go back home. I realized that I'm not that into travelling and get drained from being away for more than a few days at a time.

For some reason, I tend to feel more depressed and "out of it" whenever I travel. I don't quite understand why. I can confidently say it beats being in poverty, though.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I earn around $2000-3000 on average per month working approx.1-2 hrs a week. One could say I'm lazy as I can easily 10x that (or more) and still only work 10-20 hours a week, but making more is just not a priority - nor a necessity - for me at the moment.

What do you do the rest of the time if you only work 1-2 hours a week?

Having said that, I can't wait to go back home. I realized that I'm not that into travelling and get drained from being away for more than a few days at a time.

For some reason, I tend to feel more depressed and "out of it" whenever I travel. I don't quite understand why. I can confidently say it beats being in poverty, though.

I find short trips like that too disruptive to my routine.

But moving somewhere for at least a few weeks to a couple of months and having a nice home base from which you can travel is awesome.

I've lived in a few countries like that. Each such period of time was highly educational and rewarding.

You get to rebuild your routine according to what's available in your new area. I always pick new hobbies or work on my existing ones with new people.

You get to enjoy traveling but it's way less cumbersome since you're just doing day trips. I always rent a car so I can explore the local area.

At the same time, you can still work and feel productive. And if you don't feel like traveling, assuming you rented a nice space (I always rent a private house with a backyard) you get to chill out in a great place so you don't feel like you're "wasting" your vacations (since it's not vacation anyway).

I've never seen any appeal in "backpacking" style of traveling where you're constantly moving from one cheap-a$$ hostel to another and do things everyone else is doing.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Just spent a week on a Greek island and 4 hours on a mini yacht (nothing special, but we'd had never gone on one before so we jumped on the most basic one we could find) in the open sea blasting Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out of My Head and other "boomer" songs with my girlfriend.

View attachment 44766

View attachment 44765

However, do keep in mind that this kind of money goes further here than in the West. To give you guys a rough estimate, I would likely need to earn 4-5x what I earn now to be able to afford the same lifestyle in the U.S

By the way, this is my second beach holiday in the past 30 days. And despite having dinner at the best resturants here on the daily, I am not down on money this month.

That's awesome man. I forgot what your business is? Last I remember, you were dropshipping?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Your bathroom is leaking into your kitchen below.

You Google "emergency plumbers near me".

You spot an ad for a 24/7 plumber in your location and click.

The landing page says they're emergency plumbers in your location, have a 24/7 helpline, and can be there in 30 minutes.

You decide not to ring because you haven't come across them 6 times before.
I know this didn’t really happen, but everyone should know where the master valve is in their home. Everyone should also know that each sink, toilet and appliance has its own shut off valve.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
That's awesome man. I forgot what your business is? Last I remember, you were dropshipping?

Haha, haven't dropshipped in 5 years. I'm a "solopreneur" copywriter that's always on the lookout for bigger opportunities. I do know of dropshippers living in Bali and earning 7 figures per month, though, so I'd assume the dropshipping dream is still alive.

What do you do the rest of the time if you only work 1-2 hours a week?

I love being on my computer and learning new things/expanding my worldview. I often go racing (both IRL and virtually) and one of my goals is to become a pro racer eventually (for fun and prestige, not for the $$).

I also love watching movies and spending hours and hours dissecting every scene to acquire a deeper understanding of the philosophical messages in them.

Additionally, I also like going out with friends but I've noticed that in my friend group (ages 24-26) everyone is slowly beginning to panic about what they're doing with their lives and prioritizing opportunities for $$$ over spending time with their friends.

That makes me a bit sad because I've intentionally made a lot less just so I could lead a more social life, lol, but I guess it also goes to show how I don't see money as something that's hard to acquire - as I've gradually become adept at making others a LOT of it and that tends to pay dividends.

On the other hand, most of my friends see money as this elusive, unattainable "thing" that they can only catch a glimpse of before it fades into the horizon because they have not yet grasped the concept of providing value to others.

I find short trips like that too disruptive to my routine.

But moving somewhere for at least a few weeks to a couple of months and having a nice home base from which you can travel is awesome.

I've lived in a few countries like that. Each such period of time was highly educational and rewarding.

You get to rebuild your routine according to what's available in your new area. I always pick new hobbies or work on my existing ones with new people.

You get to enjoy traveling but it's way less cumbersome since you're just doing day trips. I always rent a car so I can explore the local area.

At the same time, you can still work and feel productive. And if you don't feel like traveling, assuming you rented a nice space (I always rent a private house with a backyard) you get to chill out in a great place so you don't feel like you're "wasting" your vacations (since it's not vacation anyway).

I've never seen any appeal in "backpacking" style of traveling where you're constantly moving from one cheap-a$$ hostel to another and do things everyone else is doing.

That sounds like a nice approach. I know from friends that if you move somewhere else (e.g. to another country) that you usually feel like shit the first week and then you get into a routine that gets the edge off and it's fine. I always take very short trips (hell, I considered this a LONG trip until you said it's short!), so that would explain the feelings of disconnect.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Most of us have two lives: the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance.

- Steven Pressfield

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007