The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
The high temperature in Tokyo tomorrow will be 100 F (37.8 C) with 53% humidity, which is arguably worse than the god-forsaken desert city I live in known as Phoenix, Arizona

Hope any Fastlaners in Japan are staying cool this week!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014

Kai has a pretty cool story. Coming from Denmark, he went to Australia three weeks after he turned 20 to visit his uncle, who moved there a few years earlier.

He arrived in Sydney at 6 AM with $72 in his pocket, and at noon he had already used half of the money on transportation and such - but he had a job. With an education as a carpenter in Denmark, he didn't have a problem finding a job.

After staying six months in Sydney and the weather started to get a bit colder, he went north to Darwin where the weather was a bit warmer. Here he continued working as a carpenter for almost a year, until he and his buddy got an offer from a guy, who needed someone to make kitchens for him. After a while, Kai and his mate created a small company and became contractors, bidding on bigger and bigger contracts.

One day they got a contract on 72 kitchens in a new apartment complex. His mate ended up marrying one of the girls living in one of the apartments, and at their wedding Kai fell in love with her sister, and ended up marrying her.

After a few years he became tired of woodworking, so he and his new wife bought flower farm further down the road from their house. The price was $300,000 - and neither Kai or his wife knew anything about growing tropical flowers such as heliconias, but as he says "sometimes you have to jump head first into things, you don't know anything about - and as long as you have an interest and a passion, you'll be fine".

The first year they sold flowers for $27,000 - and the interest rates alone on their loan was $25,000 that year. So it was a tough start.

After five years they were selling four tons of flowers every month.

After nine years they began to have problems delivering the flowers all over Australia due to issues with Qantas. The airline didn't prioritize small companies, so Kai could throw tons of flowers out every month, because they couldn't be delivered on time. "You get tired after doing that a couple of times" he says.

At the same time, the city they lived in planned to build the first traffic lights in the town. Lucy, Kai's wife, were furious and said "I'll buy my own island, and there will never be a traffic light". The day after her sister called her, saying there was an island for sale in the paper.

So Kai and his wife bought Goat Island for around $300,000 and created a small hotel there. The island is only reachable by boat or helicopter.

Unfortunately, working 80-120 hours together every week for many years had made their relationship difficult, so after a while Lucy moved to Queensland, letting Kai run the new hotel alone.

With his experience in carpentry, Kai built all the rooms by himself. The hotel has four rooms with four beds in each room, and he makes his money renting out those rooms to fishers and tourists sailing and fishing on the river. Also he sells beers, hamburgers and hotdogs to the guests passing by.

Although, it's not always easy running a hotel with a river next door. Sometimes the raining is insane, and the river floods the hotel. Kai saves the things he can, but he usually has to build and repair a lot of stuff afterwards. "What's life without a little challenge" Kai says.

"I don't want to worry about things like the water ruining the hotel. If everything goes to shit, I'll pack up some old tools, load my truck and move on" he says.

All this is from a seven year old interview made by another Danish entrepreneur who visited Kai on Goat Island back in 2015. Maybe somehting has changed since then, but as I know, Kai still runs the hotel today.

The hotel is called Goat Island Lodge btw.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

This is absolutely amazing.
Wow. That was amazing. I am buying his book. My heart hurts to know someone so amazing has passed. Far, far too young to go.

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
do you see that the podcast industry had becomed the new blog saturated industry, when anyone is creating it's own to talk for a specific niche.

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
do you see that the podcast industry had becomed the new blog saturated industry, when anyone is creating it's own to talk for a specific niche.
Yes, I know one guy who started a podcast called the “Not Another D*ckhead With A Podcast” podcast, as a nod to the fact that seemingly everyone is piling into it now!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Which Macbook is worth getting? I need a workhorse.

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
Yes, I know one guy who started a podcast called the “Not Another D*ckhead With A Podcast” podcast, as a nod to the fact that seemingly everyone is piling into it now!
so how can you help podcaster and which value you can offer to them ? following the exemple 'in gold rush you sell shevels'

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
so how can you help podcaster and which value you can offer to them ? following the exemple 'in gold rush you sell shevels'

Loads of ways people are selling the shovels - courses on how to start your own podcast, selling mics and other equipment, presentation/interviewing/communication training…

Still nothing wrong with starting a podcast though, if it’s part of your brand building and not the entire business itself.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Would anyone know of someone who's developed a food product or a resource about developing a recipe or contacting kitchens/copackers?
I know what I want, but developing the recipe seems like a challenge.
I know MJ talks about the "search cipher" in TGRRE but I haven't been able to dig anything useful up so far (except for a community college course out in... oregon).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Found this in my archive of LinkedIn posts.

I may repost it but with a picture of a miner ...

2022-06-30_15-44-42.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I don’t get bank robberies anymore. The world is so digital, what are you hoping to achieve? Banks barely have any cash or anything valuable!

We had this happen here and two robbers were shot dead by police:
What do you expect - people who do stuff like this are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
What do you expect - people who do stuff like this are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

I guess I expected the mind of a criminal to go someplace where there is something to steal! But that's asking too much, yes, I get it.

perrier

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Apr 28, 2022
I started doing a morning 11 minute yoga routine, I have completed 5 or 6 days of it. It is literally 11 minutes long. I do it first thing in the morning after I brush my teeth and all that jazz.

So back up in time a bit, and I have hip issues. The socket where my leg attaches to my hip (I know, I am really technical) aches and gets really stiff. Every time I go biking it hurts, and all through my ride I need to plant my legs on my pedals, and kinda thrust forward with my hips and open my legs to stretch that hip area. But it hurts, and its annoying, and it impacts my life negatively.

I experience that feeling every time I am on a bike, and it has been about 3 years now. Literally 100% of my bike rides have that pain.

Fast forward to more recent. After 3 of these 11 minute yoga experiences in the morning, the last 3 bike rides I have been on have had ZERO pain. so that was 33 minutes of something, to eliminate THREE YEARS of pain. HOLY SHIT!!!!!! Talk about a value skew!!!!!

In a few days I want to start adding another short 5-10 minute session per day, maybe before I go to bed. Who knows where this will lead, but the quality improvement on my body after like a week of this is just insane.
Can you share your routine? I would like to start doing it too but there's just too many choices.
Thanks in advance:)

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Found this in my archive of LinkedIn posts.

I may repost it but with a picture of a miner ...

View attachment 44233

Except everyone is trying to sell mass produced plastic shovels made in China.

I agree it's starting to pay a lot better to be the one actually digging, but the people selling the excavators are the ones owning all the people selling the shovels.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Scary. Let's all retire to the countryside and let the AI live in our place!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

What a fascinating and plausible theory.

A quick summary could be this:

Why do some obese people eat so much? Because they’re starving (for protein).
Why can’t we lose weight by eating less? Because that makes the starvation worse.
Why do we regain lost weight? The body is counteracting the worsened starvation.
Why does weight gain seem to accelerate as one grows larger? Because the heavier body needs even more protein, so must increase consumption faster.

When we put protein at the center of our focus, the futility of simply eating less, particularly “portion control,” becomes obvious: The body is actually more balanced, nutritionally, at the heavier weight, since it got to that weight by prioritizing protein. If you reduce how much you're eating, including protein, the body is wise to resist. It doesn't care as much about the number of pounds up or down as it does about the protein. Every time we reduce calories using a “balanced” approach, we reduce the number of protein grams even further and our body, naturally, compensates...just like an insect, invertebrate or primate living in the wild.

And this:

In determining the winner of the debate regarding obesity causation and the best diet for weight loss, I believe that Simpson and Raubenheimer's work allows us to finally settle the question in such a way that everyone can be happy: The low carb advocates are correct. The low fat advocates are correct. The low calorie advocates are correct. Even the high protein weight lifter types are correct. They are each correct due to the underlying principle of protein leverage.

You can either decrease fat, decrease carbs, or decrease both together in a low calorie approach, as long as you keep protein constant. Protecting the lean tissues of the body enables weight loss to proceed more easily. When low fat diets work, when low carb diets work, when low calorie diets work, it is because they maintain or raise the protein quantity in the diet. Simpson and Raubenheimer consider those diets to be special cases of the general rule of protein leverage.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Some private schools are like 20k a year and people send multiple kids. It’s only just occurred to me that you could do this, I wonder why it’s not more common
My bet is there aren't enough completely insane entrepreneurs who would be willing to tolerate those parents.

I'm picturing every parent from School of Rock. Not enough money in the universe.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
That said, the 20m flight time on this is the dealbreaker for me, as I was *this* close to giving these guys my down payment. It doesn't seem you can do a lot in 20m ... if you're at a park, that's 9 minutes in one direction, and 9 minutes to get back. What happens if you exceed 20m? You fall out of the sky?
I'd be hoping they've mastered the autorotation concept that keeps helicopters from falling out of the sky.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

My bet is there aren't enough completely insane entrepreneurs who would be willing to tolerate those parents.

I'm picturing every parent from School of Rock. Not enough money in the universe.
Parents? We have hademployees smear sh*t on walls in bathrooms. Entrepreneurs deal with much worse than any angry mom!

What did Charlie Munger say... Something like "if your business transports fuel by rail, you have to be ready for a certain amount of explosions"

Lotta bad stuff can happen but you gotta do it anyway (trying to prevent it as much as possible)

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
None of those really explain the explosion of self-storage units over the past 25 years despite much larger homes.

I think most people just buy too much crap. Amazon is probably a silent investor in every single self-storage company.
The strategy that I have seen with self storage companies is that they buy a large tract of land about 20 miles outside of a large city nearby the interstate. Then they put a simple single-story self storage facility on it so that the land makes money while they hold.

Then after 10 years or so when the city grows to the limits of the facility they sell to a builder. And the self storage facility is demolished and becomes a brand new subdivision.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The high temperature in Tokyo tomorrow will be 100 F (37.8 C) with 53% humidity, which is arguably worse than the god-forsaken desert city I live in known as Phoenix, Arizona

Hope any Fastlaners in Japan are staying cool this week!
That’s been daily life in Houston for weeks.

Heat indexes as high as 120. We got a reprieve over the last few days.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
That’s been daily life in Houston for weeks.

Heat indexes as high as 120. We got a reprieve over the last few days.

Global warming heating us up?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.