The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question for founders or anyone that works with a startup?

BRIANDAVE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 5, 2020
I'll be sure to make this short, so i don't take most of your time.

I live in Nigeria, currently in my 2nd year in college, and as all 3rd world countries it's filled with so many problems that could be tackled, both here and in africa.

To be honest, building a tech solution is one thing, but getting clients is one of the hardest parts, considering the fact that the purchasing power over here isn't that high. ( I've seen a lot of startups shutdown)

Most Nigerians who are making an impact in the continent all live abroad, ( i definitely know it has it's advantages). But my question is, is it advisable to consider moving abroad after college, then begin my startup over there, and what exactly is it that i stand to gain that will aid in my startup journey?

Or

Do I begin bootstrapping from here and also focus on other african countries?

I don't mind getting a job abroad, as long as i get closer to my goals.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I live in Nigeria, currently in my 2nd year in college, and as all 3rd world countries it's filled with so many problems that could be tackled, both here and in africa.

To be honest, building a tech solution is one thing, but getting clients is one of the hardest parts, considering the fact that the purchasing power over here isn't that high. ( I've seen a lot of startups shutdown)

Most Nigerians who are making an impact in the continent all live abroad, ( i definitely know it has it's advantages). But my question is, is it advisable to consider moving abroad after college, then begin my startup over there, and what exactly is it that i stand to gain that will aid in my startup journey?

Or

What do you mean by a “startup”?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Like a tech company
I worked for one of those startups. Apparently they went through €40m in funding and barely made any revenue.

If you were my nephew I’d advise you to get freelance gigs, earn some revenue off your own back, learn to make sales, and maybe your “startup” will come out of getting paid to solve a problem you encounter again and again.

Here’s a deck I created after that experience, for another startup where I tried to stop them repeating the same mistake (to no avail):

Maybe check out “The 7 Day Startup” by Dan Norris.

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
Hey man can't really answer this one for you. I'm living in a first world country and working to make it better in my original 2nd world country. But that's because I just like living here more.

Think about your case, what you wanna build / change and how it would be easier. Need income from a first world country? Go there. Need to be close to the people of your country? Stay there. It's all about your case.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Start now.

If you fail you learn
If you succeed you learn

Can't take back time...

As for the getting clients part... Nothing comes easy... You might as well start now.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

Or

You need some feedback first my good man:

Check out:

1.) Startup School - The Best Online Resource for Founders (Group Sessions)

2.) Pioneer - The network for ambitious outsiders

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.