The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Protein Bar Brand Idea

Idea threads

Justice Beaver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 2, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys! This is my first time posting on the forum. Basically what my idea is is to build a brand that specifically caters to making high quality and healthy nut free protein bars. This is obviously nothing revolutionary, and on the surface it seems random, but here's my reasoning:

The Problem

I've had a severe nut allergy my entire life, and it's been a big nuisance in my life. If I eat enough of it, it can be life threatening. When I first started working out and taking nutrition more seriously, I gained a sense of the importance of more protein in my diet. And when I started looking up all the different kinds of protein sources available to me, I was pretty bummed out, because I was reminded of how I was missing out on nuts. Nuts are obviously a very high quality protein source that are convenient to eat as a snack and dense in protein. It no longer was just something I had to avoid, but something that I badly wanted now as part of my diet. What made it even worse, is that I became aware of how difficult it is to find nut free protein bars, since I LOVE snack bars. Seriously, it barely exists. I still don't know how. I'm guessing it's because it's an obvious and easy choice for brands to include in their ingredients choice. I've come to the realization that a lot of people are probably in a similar position. They want a high protein diet, but can't have the convenience of nuts in their diet. So they turn to protein bars, but oh no, still not possible. So here's where I come in...

My Solution

Of the few brands that currently sell variations of this, they either A) barely have any protein and are considered more as generic granola bars or B) They're super high in carbs, sugar, and are loaded with artificial sweeteners. I want to build a brand that people can rely on for this, a healthy and minimalist nut free protein bar high in protein, low in carbs and sugar, and no artificial sweeteners that taste great. So far I did some concept validation and found lots of forum posts online of people asking where to get this kind of protein bar, and nobody seems to have an answer. Also Google's keyword planner is showing 1300 monthly searches specifically for "nut free protein bar". My limited research so far tells me there's somewhere around 6-8 million people (increasing every year) with tree nut and peanut allergies in the US alone, and that's without adding other allergies/conditions to that.

I know these are small steps, but it shows potential to me. When I put it through the CENTS test as well, I'd say it mostly checks out. The only one is entry, but I'd say it's not gonna be easy to find an alternative like this that tastes great, not to mention my goal would be to make it allergy free across the board as well. I'd have to start off coming up with recipes at home and renting commercial kitchens for my first batches. I could use everyone's advice on how they feel about this though. I'm probably overthinking, but I'm not sure if this is actually just a dumb idea without a real need. I also know this market is saturated to death, but I guess everything else is, and as long as I'm solving a problem, I feel like there's room for me. I'd appreciate some input though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Does 1300 searches indicate a strong enough market? I'm not saying it doesn't. I have no idea. But I think you should focus on that number rather than number of folks with nut allergies.

I just started eating some protein bars I found at Costco called Rise. They're pretty good. Just almonds, honey, and whey protein powder. Could you swap out the almonds and use something else? Maybe coconut, flax seed, or hemp seed?

Just a couple of half baked ideas. Good luck!

Hopeful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 8, 2019
I have a nut allergy too! This is such an annoying problem.

I don't have any business advice, but be sure to make your bars free of other allergens. Milk, soy, corn, etc. Many people who have nut allergies have other allergies, too!

alord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 8, 2019
Keep going with the validation, and be ready to make it bigger after you've got a good awareness level in your niche market

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
Hey guys! This is my first time posting on the forum. Basically what my idea is is to build a brand that specifically caters to making high quality and healthy nut free protein bars. This is obviously nothing revolutionary, and on the surface it seems random, but here's my reasoning:

The Problem

I've had a severe nut allergy my entire life, and it's been a big nuisance in my life. If I eat enough of it, it can be life threatening. When I first started working out and taking nutrition more seriously, I gained a sense of the importance of more protein in my diet. And when I started looking up all the different kinds of protein sources available to me, I was pretty bummed out, because I was reminded of how I was missing out on nuts. Nuts are obviously a very high quality protein source that are convenient to eat as a snack and dense in protein. It no longer was just something I had to avoid, but something that I badly wanted now as part of my diet. What made it even worse, is that I became aware of how difficult it is to find nut free protein bars, since I LOVE snack bars. Seriously, it barely exists. I still don't know how. I'm guessing it's because it's an obvious and easy choice for brands to include in their ingredients choice. I've come to the realization that a lot of people are probably in a similar position. They want a high protein diet, but can't have the convenience of nuts in their diet. So they turn to protein bars, but oh no, still not possible. So here's where I come in...

My Solution

Of the few brands that currently sell variations of this, they either A) barely have any protein and are considered more as generic granola bars or B) They're super high in carbs, sugar, and are loaded with artificial sweeteners. I want to build a brand that people can rely on for this, a healthy and minimalist nut free protein bar high in protein, low in carbs and sugar, and no artificial sweeteners that taste great. So far I did some concept validation and found lots of forum posts online of people asking where to get this kind of protein bar, and nobody seems to have an answer. Also Google's keyword planner is showing 1300 monthly searches specifically for "nut free protein bar". My limited research so far tells me there's somewhere around 6-8 million people (increasing every year) with tree nut and peanut allergies in the US alone, and that's without adding other allergies/conditions to that.

I know these are small steps, but it shows potential to me. When I put it through the CENTS test as well, I'd say it mostly checks out. The only one is entry, but I'd say it's not gonna be easy to find an alternative like this that tastes great, not to mention my goal would be to make it allergy free across the board as well. I'd have to start off coming up with recipes at home and renting commercial kitchens for my first batches. I could use everyone's advice on how they feel about this though. I'm probably overthinking, but I'm not sure if this is actually just a dumb idea without a real need. I also know this market is saturated to death, but I guess everything else is, and as long as I'm solving a problem, I feel like there's room for me. I'd appreciate some input though.

Sounds interesting!

You may want to follow/search these guys (Scot and Erics Cheesecakes) and check their threads.

Calling @Scot

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I think its good idea. Its a niche, it has some existing demand. Its repetitive.

I have a nut allergy too! This is such an annoying problem.

I don't have any business advice, but be sure to make your bars free of other allergens. Milk, soy, corn, etc. Many people who have nut allergies have other allergies, too!

The all-allergens-free bar might help much. In the way that you'd have bigger market for start (not just "nut free" bars).

You also wouldn't have to invest in separate PR campaigns for each allergen and have it under one Brand.
Like a go-to brand for allergen free protein bars.

That could work out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I like the idea assuming the "nut allergy" market is large enough.

A lot of times a "Scratch your own itch" business will give you advantages because you're the person with the problem.

Additionally, this marketspace (protein bar) is huge which means there's a ton of opportunity for value skew, in marketing alone.

Justice Beaver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 2, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the reinforcement guys. You all have really great points and I'd like to know how to address one of them...

Since it's obvious amongst everyone that the bars should try to be allergy free across the board, then does that mean I should shift the name/marketing/focus from nut free to all allergies? The reason it was nut free in the first place is because that's typically the most common ingredient, but now I'm a little concerned that marketing it towards just that would make it less obvious that it's allergen free in general too. Idk... could use some opinions on this. Thanks!

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Whether you should make your bars free of all allergens is more of a market research question. You know the Google searches for "nut free." Know your other numbers of who is looking for what. What else is out there already?

My guess is that you should just stick to being nut free. But, again, that is a market research question for you to dig into. I'm just guessing.

My wife and older son have autoimmune conditions and are sensitive to EVERYTHING, so I know that @Hopeful raises a legit point. A lot of people are sensitive or allergic to more than one thing.

But it is a matter of market sizing, at least in part.

The danger would be coming up with the perfect product with no allergens, having to charge $6/bar, and having a total market size of 12 people.

Justice Beaver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 2, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Whether you should make your bars free of all allergens is more of a market research question. You know the Google searches for "nut free." Know your other numbers of who is looking for what. What else is out there already?

My guess is that you should just stick to being nut free. But, again, that is a market research question for you to dig into. I'm just guessing.

My wife and older son have autoimmune conditions and are sensitive to EVERYTHING, so I know that @Hopeful raises a legit point. A lot of people are sensitive or allergic to more than one thing.

But it is a matter of market sizing, at least in part.

The danger would be coming up with the perfect product with no allergens, having to charge $6/bar, and having a total market size of 12 people.

Makes sense Kruiser, I'll definitely do more research to see the market size and base my choices off of that. Really appreciate the input and time!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
make sure it tastes good and not all chemically and shitty like 99% of all the other protein bars out there. even if it costs 5 bucks a bar, quality over bullshit quantity.... dont cut corners. all protein powders, bars are bullshit what makes you stand out could be optimally taste and ingredients... maybe incorporate jaggery and other natural sweeteners instead of sugar, and keep the ingredients down to a minimum and no fortified chemicals.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Thanks for all the reinforcement guys. You all have really great points and I'd like to know how to address one of them...

Since it's obvious amongst everyone that the bars should try to be allergy free across the board, then does that mean I should shift the name/marketing/focus from nut free to all allergies? The reason it was nut free in the first place is because that's typically the most common ingredient, but now I'm a little concerned that marketing it towards just that would make it less obvious that it's allergen free in general too. Idk... could use some opinions on this. Thanks!
No, I don't think you should shift to "all allergies."

I bought some grain free protein bars at Costco the other day, and the main ingredient was nuts. I remember thinking to myself, "Oh man, I sure am glad I don't have a nut allergy too. What would I eat???"

So it may not be possible for you to create an "All allergen free" protein bar. Somebody along the line is going to be allergic to something in it.

With a nut free protein bar, you may not be able to cater to the dairy free crowd, because your main source of protein will probably have to be whey protein. I'd probably steer clear of soybean or pea protein because there will be a lot of overlap between the people who can't have both. (Peanuts, soybeans, and peas are all legumes.)

It would be interesting though, if there was another good source of protein that was NOT dairy-based. Maybe chia or hemp seed protein? (Or is hemp an allergy to people with nut allergies?)

Just thinking out loud...

I googled "chia protein powder" and "nut free dairy free protein powder" and got a lot of results.

This article might give you a head start on researching ingredient possibilities... Protein Powders for Special Diets

And here's a bar that uses protein from crickets - I think this is absolutely brilliant! EXO Protein

Sounds like a cool idea, especially if it's an underserved area of the market. I'd say go for it!

Last edited:

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
healthy and minimalist nut free protein bar high in protein, low in carbs and sugar, and no artificial sweeteners that taste great.
This can be done. Could find base proteins from organic compounds and suppliers. Then test. Then process. Yes.

Rubi76

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 29, 2018

The Problem

My Solution

I am in the hospitality /quick serve business.
Before you start, I advise you to:

Start to go to trade shows such as the Natural food expo (twice a year). Next one is in Baltimore.
A lot of people are doing bars, check out who is nut free.

Start thinking about the ingredients /experimenting. Keep in mind that you are entering the wholesale business and cents matter. I can advise a couple of books if you want.

Start to look for a nut free copacker, see if it exists. I assume other bar producers all have nuts and therefore their facilities are contaminated.

Good luck!

R.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

The Problem

My Solution

Look into Blake’s Seed Based. They recently raised 3/4 of $1M in funding and are hitting this category full tilt.

It’s definitely a growing market that’s for sure.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
One more thing.

If you don't know if there is demand (real demand, meaning people with their credit card in hand)
then you can do "Landing Page" for your product.

The thing is that you don't have to have the product yet but webpage works like shop.
When people add to cart, and then go and click "Enter Payment" you assume its real request
that otherwise would turn in a sale.

You show an explainer to people that you have so much demand that you are out of stock now but if they'll leave you
an email then you'll send them discount code for the time you'll have bars in stock again.

Advertise it on Facebook and google and see how many people come to your site vs how many "buy" from it.

This technique was advised many times here on Fastlane Forum for validation of product or service (before it was build/produced)

I think you're onto something, so good luck!

Justice Beaver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 2, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Lots of really awesome ideas in here guys. I guess it's time for me to execute and start experimenting.

One thing I'd just realized btw... the advantage of also going dairy free and not including whey is that I also appeal to the vegan market which I just recently saw a post about here in the forum. It'd basically be like hitting two birds with one stone. Like @MJ DeMarco said, lots of opportunity for value skew here.

Justice Beaver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 2, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I am in the hospitality /quick serve business.
Before you start, I advise you to:

Start to go to trade shows such as the Natural food expo (twice a year). Next one is in Baltimore.
A lot of people are doing bars, check out who is nut free.

Start thinking about the ingredients /experimenting. Keep in mind that you are entering the wholesale business and cents matter. I can advise a couple of books if you want.

Start to look for a nut free copacker, see if it exists. I assume other bar producers all have nuts and therefore their facilities are contaminated.

Good luck!

R.
I'd really appreciate any book references if you've got any! Anything to help me learn about the food industry would be helpful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.