The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pain, Passion and Affection

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 16, 2019
UK
Hi there,

I was listening to the chapter from the Millionaire Fastlane about the NEED commandment yesterday and got a bit worried about the direction I have been following with my fastlane journey (which is still only a few months old).

MJ mentions a martial arts instructor who sets up a business because martial arts are his passion, and that this is a mistake because it's about the business owner's interests rather than what people are needing.

One of the main reasons I teach Computer Science is that I find it fascinating myself, and I have begun to build a business with the idea of helping students and teachers to connect with the same kind of excitement around computers and programming which I have always felt since I got my first home computer as a kid way back when. I've made a good start with my blog and some initial digital products here: https://compucademy.co.uk/

The motivation makes sense to me, but when I ask myself "what is the pain point" I'm trying to help with, it's hard to identify. There is definitely a shortfall of teachers of Computer Science in the UK, which means resources for teachers, and even some kind of teacher training package could well meet a need. Also many students seek private tuition as their school doesn't offer Computer Science. Since tutoring is a time-for-money activity which I'm trying to escape from, I need to create productised versions of my expertise such as teaching resources, online courses and books. So then the issue becomes, "how big is the potential for affection for this business idea?" and I really have no idea. I am worried though that the numbers may not be large enough to make my business successful, and it's a little hard to stay committed to all the work that is needed without having confidence in its viability.

That is some of what is flying around my head relating to pain, passion and affection stimulated by MJ's words. It would be great to hear from anyone who is either facing similar questions about their business or who is further down the road and can offer some insight into my situation based on their own experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Material arts instructor teaches locally, your educational products have worldwide reach so that's different.
There's definitely a need in teaching Computer Science now and for the next few years.
I would be more worried about making your products provide a lot of value and stand out from the competition.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.