The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One year of FLF...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Ok, I'm a little bit late; it's been about 13 months since I joined here, and longer since I first read TMF . It's Tuesday afternoon, and guess where I am?

Not at work.

My life has become something I couldn't really imagine a year ago. Today I went to make a deposit at the bank, something I did every two weeks when I was working. My deposit amount used to be $1,625.30, a number that will probably be burned into my brain for all eternity.

80 hours, $1625.

80 hours. $1625.

80 hours. $1625.

Whether the weeks were easy or brutal, whether the workload was intense or trivial, the deposit was always the same.

Today was a little bit different.

N6tghKT.png

I had always heard "time is your most valuable asset," but when it was making $22/hr, surrounded by parents and teachers and friends on typical salaries, it was hard to believe it. Since TMF , I've intentionally asked myself how I can deliver value to others in such a a way that the recompense for my time explodes, $200, $300, $500 or more per hour. Can I make something now that will give me an income in five years? Can I spend today on something that people need badly enough to joyfully part with $1000 rather than $170?

My uncle and cousin both died in their early 60's of cardiac issues in the last year, and my Dad (always fit but poor diet) has had two heart attacks now. I'm about 50 pounds overweight, so I've been trying to crack down on that for the last three months, losing about 20 pounds so far, 1/3 of the way to my goal. I won't be satisfied until my complete change to a healthy lifestyle makes me completely physically fit by my 30th birthday. Junk food and sloth are right out. I'm not on a diet, I'll never eat that shit again. I have a new life. Give me hell if I'm not there next July.

I'm also grinding a lot when I could be working on passive systems. To counteract that, I've already inked deals that are going to make that happen, and have been working on other products with high levels of vertical integration since YT revenue alone is so woeful. In the last 60 days, I wrote a 190 page ebook that will be getting its own progress thread imminently. I'm focusing on going bigger and faster with less and less of my time committed to making money, so I can spend more of it on what matters. If this continues, my kids will get to know me and benefit from my presence the way I never got to with my dad. My wife has had a lifelong retirement dream of spending a summer exploring a foreign country. That's happening this year, and she's in her mid 20's, not her mid 70's.

@MJ DeMarco, this is for you:

image_25089.jpg

Some will get it. Some won't.

For everyone else, did the last year transform your life into what you want, or further conform your life to its current status quo? Answer that question, and you know where you're headed next year. It's not too late to put your turn signal on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Ok, I'm a little bit late; it's been about 13 months since I joined here, and longer since I first read TMF . It's Tuesday afternoon, and guess where I am?

Not at work.

My life has become something I couldn't really imagine a year ago. Today I went to make a deposit at the bank, something I did every two weeks when I was working. My deposit amount was $1,625.30, a number that will probably be burned into my brain for all eternity.

80 hours, $1625.

80 hours. $1625.

80 hours. $1625.

Whether the weeks were easy or brutal, whether the workload was intense or trivial, the deposit was always the same.

Today was a little bit different.

N6tghKT.png

I had always heard "time is your most valuable asset," but when it was making $22/hr, surrounded by parents and teachers and friends on typical salaries, it was hard to believe it. Since TMF , I've intentionally asked myself how I can deliver value to others in such a a way that the recompense for my time explodes, $200, $300, $500 or more per hour. Can I make something now that will give me an income in five years? Can I spend today on something that people need badly enough to joyfully part with $1000 rather than $170?

My uncle and cousin both died in their early 60's of cardiac issues in the last year, and my Dad (always fit but poor diet) has had two heart attacks now. I'm about 50 pounds overweight, so I've been trying to crack down on that for the last three months, losing about 20 pounds so far, 1/3 of the way to my goal. I won't be satisfied until my complete change to a healthy lifestyle makes me completely physically fit by my 30th birthday. Junk food and sloth are right out. I'm not on a diet, I'll never eat that shit again. I have a new life. Give me hell if I'm not there next July.

I'm also grinding a lot when I could be working on passive systems. To counteract that, I've already inked deals that are going to make that happen, and have been working on other products with high levels of vertical integration since YT revenue alone is so woeful. In the last 60 days, I wrote a 190 page ebook that will be getting its own progress thread imminently. I'm focusing on going bigger and faster with less and less of my time committed to making money, so I can spend more of it on what matters. If this continues, my kids will get to know me and benefit from my presence the way I never got to with my dad. My wife has had a lifelong retirement dream of spending a summer exploring a foreign country. That's happening this year, and she's in her mid 20's, not her mid 70's.

@MJ DeMarco, this is for you:

image_25089.jpg

For everyone else, did the last year transform your life into what you want, or further conform your life to its current status quo? Answer that question, and you know where you're headed next year. It's not too late to put your turn signal on.

Thank you for this post.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
Awesome!!! Very inspiring!
Like you, I've been motivated by family health history to get not just my finances in order, but my health too. I've made some incredible changes in the last few months alone. Financially, the last year has been a huge eye-opener for me. I can't go into any more detail than I have in other posts here, but essentially I finally feel focused in a very successful direction - one that I've always had a lot of success in, but never fully applied myself to or scaled it up. The new year will finally bring my last 15 years in the music business (coaching bands, my own music career, recording, marketing, counseling, etc) into a single business that is only the very beginning of a business empire that fits CENTS in so many great ways I get extremely excited just thinking about it!

Last edited by a moderator:

bbrrookie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 12, 2014
Miami, FL
This is awesome! I am so glad I found this forum. Finally I am surrounded by people who truly want the most of life. Seeing this has given me even more drive to stop snoozing that alarm and realize how precious TIME is.
I applaud you and wish you nothing but the best.
Im only a month in TMF , but it feels like my life truly began that long ago.
GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING and GET ON THAT DIET!!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Respect for sharing, alot of people wouldn't take the time to write up and share intimate details like that

Appreciated, Congratulations, and Speed +!!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Sweet dude. Congrats and way to rock it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats man, exciting update ... sounds like a great year of transformation.

Ha, I'm afraid I might be someone who doesn't get it. Looks like a hearing aid. Symbolic to old age? Perhaps the agents in the Matrix?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
That rules, ΕΝΔΕΚΑ. Very inspiring, and I'm really happy things are going well. I need constant reminders like this to get me off my a$$ and doing something. After reading your post, I went ahead and sent emails to a couple of people regarding a product idea I have, and I ordered a supply my wife and I need for an online store idea. Gonna go ahead and register the domain as well right now.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Boom! Love seeing the pics of bank statement transformations. Nice work! Link to ebook?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm marking this GOLD for several reasons.

The first, and the obvious, it's a HUGE accomplishment to be able to support yourself via your own creativity and ingenuity. As @Vigilante says, "Blaze Your Own Path" -- and once you do, it's the ultimate feeling. Heck I can't even describe it, happiness, fulfillment, autonomy, whatever you can imagine, it's there.

Second, it shows how much change can happen over 1 year.

Third, your story (of a bank deposit) is very similar to MY story which appears in my next book. In fact, it's strikingly similar. It also marks a milestone on the entrepreneurial path, a "coming of age" that every entrepreneur must experience to turn the corner permanently from the ranks of a job owning you, vs you owning the job.

Ill post that story here (with some things redacted since the title is still underwraps)

In fact, I remember my day of [REDACTED] like it was yesterday. I was merely 26 and it was one of the happiest days of my life. And get this— I was broke and living like a pauper. Needing to make a deposit, I walked into the bank up the street from my tiny studio apartment in central Phoenix. At that time in my life, my business was growing. I had learned a bunch of new skills, designing websites and computer programming. Those skills were in demand and I finally cracked a nut on how to find customers. After I made the deposit and took the receipt from the teller, I walked outside. It was the middle of January and the weather on this bright Arizona afternoon was absolutely stunning. Sunny, warm, with a gentle wind caressing the fans of the neighboring palms. Meanwhile 1,800 miles away in Chicago, my hometown, it was just another dark day of snow, cold, and misery. I took a contented pause thankful of my recent move and glanced at my bank balance. It was more than $5,000 and it was more money than I ever knew. Now I realize that $5K is not a lot of money, basically it is bankrupt. However at that moment in my life, it meant not having to get a job for at least another year. You see, that $5,000 bought me one year of freedom. Freedom to pursue success. Freedom to do what was necessary. Freedom to pursue my dream. For the next year, I was guaranteed to own every hour of my life. The truth is [REDACTED] begins not the day you retire, or have millions in the bank, but the day you own your life and your time— the day when you finally decide to lead life, instead of allowing life to lead you.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Link to ebook?

I'll post when I post a progress thread about it. It's a pretty serious book (about 20 other print sources and numerous websites consulted, had to get the green light to use several dozen photographs of things I couldn't have snapped on my own for logistical reasons), so I'm having it worked over by a professional editor who is doing it for free as a favor. Progress thread should be up by the weekend and the book should be done first week of December, in time for the Christmas season. I'm also hoping to drop a couple AMAs in the coming months about various things I think I've got figured out.

Last edited:

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Big respect for your achievements @ΕΝΔΕΚΑ!
I just realized that you have been a member here a little over a year - for some reason I thought you have been here for much longer ;-)

Keep going - you'll go far!
Thank you for sharing!

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Congratulations on reaching this great milestone--one of many to come, I'm sure. You may have to pinch yourself when you're caught reflecting on your earlier years to remind yourself that this is real. ;)

Go4Greatness

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 29, 2014
congrats! very inspiring story.

It's crazy knowing what just a YEAR can do for someone.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Supplemented your income and exceeded it, fantastic!

How's the youtube channel doing?

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Simply beautiful.

Congratulations buddy. Imagine if you hadn't changed... In two days you would've made another deposit in the bank, $1,625.30... Then in another 2 weeks, again, $1,625.30..

This user gets it.

OP, I'm just starting here at The Fastlane Forum, but this post makes me wonder where I'll be in 12mo.

This time last year, I was pre-selling a product, something a mentor told me I should do before I even design and build the product. Pre-selling before I had even a working prototype was a major paradigm shift for me, but now it's very obvious to me that this was my perfect next step. Since then, I was able to quit my job.

I wonder what solutions will be "totally obvious" to me in 1 year for the problems that I'm just now coming up against.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Congratulations on your shift of bud, very motivating to see your work pay off

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Ok, novel incoming. I've gotten a flurry of PMs from people asking permutations of the following questions:

How do you get started spotting needs?

What are the best resources for growing an online business?

I'm 16/17/18/19 and want to know how to start out.

I'm 16/17/18/19 and I will be where you are in a year thanks to FLF!

I'm going to answer them here so other people can see it too. Sorry for not responding before now; I had a 6 hour lunch meeting with my editor, book has been eating up most of my time.

"I'm 16/17/18/19 and want to know how to start out."

The issue here (and it relates to the nest question) is that the Fastlane is all about putting something in place that works for you so your time is free for your own use. The problem is that, as MJ's old avatar said, "You can't cheat the grind." Whether a passive "money making machine" is grinding for you, or you are, something has to put in that work to impact millions and get you paid.

At this age, you may have very little else that you can "send out to war" to fight the battle and redeem your time from the grind. Because of the way the slow-lane paradigm works, you're going to have to hustle hard to grow your income at this age. With my education and qualifications, getting a job paying $30-60/hr is not very difficult, but $30/hr is a god-tier wage for a teen employee, which means that gathering the "energy" to fire the starter of that money-making engine which will set you free is going to take a hell of a long time if you go about it the slow-lane way. The message is clear: If you want to get started, conventional employment is not the way to do it unless you have absolutely no other choice. You need to find another path.

What you need to do instead, IMO, is use the advantages you do have to perform some fastlane judo and get the math working for you. As a kid, you more than likely have the following insanely-enviable assets working in your favor:

Free room and board.

Free food (at least for basic nutrition).

A safety net. If you fail and go broke, you probably don't have kids or a spouse who rely on you to eat, or a mortgage. The fastlane, for you, is so much less of a gamble than it is for someone who is fully independent (which rocks). It's like playing the lottery-You might change your whole life if you win, but you can't lose everything if you lose.

Limited responsibilities. I know this seems hard to believe now, just trust me, it gets a lot worse the longer you wait to start.

So what should you do? Realize that it's either your money or your time that is going to have to go to bat for you, and that one is way more powerful than the other. So stop asking for clothes/games/electronics or other crap for birthday/Christmas and ask for money. Immediately figure out how to leverage that money for maximum effect, not to buy you stuff you want, but to buy stuff that can produce things that other people want. So, for example, using $100 to buy a video game console on Craigslist that gets resold for $150 is good, but launching a Teespring campaign and using the $100 to advertise it on FaceBook is much better. For $4,000, you could buy your first car. Or you could buy a DSLR camera body and some L-glass, take engagement photos, leverage that payment to buy a second camera body and lens, and begin a career as a wedding photographer making $2,000/week, something a friend of mine who is now self-sufficient actually did in high school. Your money needs to immediately go to the front lines to get you free. Everything that's for your own pleasure and comfort needs to consume money very sparingly.

"I'm 16/17/18/19 and I will be where you are in a year thanks to FLF!"

I hope to see it happen. but don't be too hasty. We talked about your advantages, but I have one that you probably didn't at this age:

I'm starting with a fair amount of money.

In order to get the same amount of fuel for your fastlane engine that I started with, you're going to have to grind harder and longer than I did. Can it be done, hell yeah, and you can do it. But just a fair warning, it's much harder to go fastlane without money to spend. It's useful though, because you can't lose what you don't have. I sent good money after bad a bunch of times before I got into a rhythm. All things considered, I'D MUCH RATHER BE 16 AGAIN THAN HAVE THE SEED MONEY. I'd rather be you. I'd rather have found out about TMF when you did. A sixteen year old can scrape thousands of dollars together or go fastlane without it via inventing or writing or the like. Even if I had 50 billion dollars, I couldn't buy my way back in time.

Battleship method. In the game of battleship, you start out only knowing that the enemy fleet is out there somewhere. You make the first move. Maybe it hits. Usually it doesn't. Usually, it takes 3-4 moves to start putting the hurt on your opponent (unmet needs).

For me, the important thing was to make a good guess, then take action. When I did that and was taking action, customers would tell me, "That's nice, but what I really want is..." Bingo. Having enough insight into a small need led to a big one. As an IRL example of this, the Plymouth Iron Windmill Company used to give out BB guns as a free gift with the purchase of a windmill, which was their primary product. After a while, they realized that many, many more people wanted the guns than the windmills, so they pivoted their manufacturing, and Daisy BB guns was born. 130 years and $50M/yr later, they're still going strong.

Use your head to figure out what might be a need, act on it, and let your customers point you from that guess to their REAL need, and pivot accordingly.

Start here, and don't forget to rep+ the authors, these threads rock:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ng-social-media-marketing-masterthread.51141/

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...edia-coverage-masterthread.51995/#post-358032

Also, keep an eye out for my YT thread to be bumped, which is going to be updated in the next couple days on the inside. It will include mini articles about boosting an IG and Twitter account, driving traffic to your website, etc.

Keep grinding!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ok, novel incoming. I've gotten a flurry of PMs from people asking permutations of the following questions:

I'm 16/17/18/19 and want to know how to start out.

I'm 16/17/18/19 and I will be where you are in a year thanks to FLF!

I'm going to answer them here so other people can see it too. Sorry for not responding before now; I had a 6 hour lunch meeting with my editor, book has been eating up most of my time.

"I'm 16/17/18/19 and want to know how to start out."

The issue here (and it relates to the nest question) is that the Fastlane is all about putting something in place that works for you so your time is free for your own use. The problem is that, as MJ's old avatar said, "You can't cheat the grind." Whether a passive "money making machine" is grinding for you, or you are, something has to put in that work to impact millions and get you paid.

At this age, you may have very little else that you can "send out to war" to fight the battle and redeem your time from the grind. Because of the way the slow-lane paradigm works, you're going to have to hustle hard to grow your income at this age. With my education and qualifications, getting a job paying $30-60/hr is not very difficult, but $30/hr is a god-tier wage for a teen employee, which means that gathering the "energy" to fire the starter of that money-making engine which will set you free is going to take a hell of a long time if you go about it the slow-lane way. The message is clear: If you want to get started, conventional employment is not the way to do it unless you have absolutely no other choice. You need to find another path.

What you need to do instead, IMO, is use the advantages you do have to perform some fastlane judo and get the math working for you. As a kid, you more than likely have the following insanely-enviable assets working in your favor:

Free room and board.

Free food (at least for basic nutrition).

A safety net. If you fail and go broke, you probably don't have kids or a spouse who rely on you to eat, or a mortgage. The fastlane, for you, is so much less of a gamble than it is for someone who is fully independent (which rocks). It's like playing the lottery-You might change your whole life if you win, but you can't lose everything if you lose.

Limited responsibilities. I know this seems hard to believe now, just trust me, it gets a lot worse the longer you wait to start.

So what should you do? Realize that it's either your money or your time that is going to have to go to bat for you, and that one is way more powerful than the other. So stop asking for clothes/games/electronics or other crap for birthday/Christmas and ask for money. Immediately figure out how to leverage that money for maximum effect, not to buy you stuff you want, but to buy stuff that can produce things that other people want. So, for example, using $100 to buy a video game console on Craigslist that gets resold for $150 is good, but launching a Teespring campaign and using the $100 to advertise it on FaceBook is much better. For $4,000, you could buy your first car. Or you could buy a DSLR camera body and some L-glass, take engagement photos, leverage that payment to buy a second camera body and lens, and begin a career as a wedding photographer making $2,000/week, something a friend of mine who is now self-sufficient actually did in high school. Your money needs to immediately go to the front lines to get you free. Everything that's for your own pleasure and comfort needs to consume money very sparingly.

"I'm 16/17/18/19 and I will be where you are in a year thanks to FLF!"

I hope to see it happen. but don't be too hasty. We talked about your advantages, but I have one that you probably didn't at this age:

I'm starting with a fair amount of money.

In order to get the same amount of fuel for your fastlane engine that I started with, you're going to have to grind harder and longer than I did. Can it be done, hell yeah, and you can do it. But just a fair warning, it's much harder to go fastlane without money to spend. It's useful though, because you can't lose what you don't have. I sent good money after bad a bunch of times before I got into a rhythm. All things considered, I'D MUCH RATHER BE 16 AGAIN THAN HAVE THE SEED MONEY. I'd rather be you. I'd rather have found out about TMF when you did. A sixteen year old can scrape thousands of dollars together or go fastlane without it via inventing or writing or the like. Even if I had 50 billion dollars, I couldn't buy my way back in time.

Battleship method. In the game of battleship, you start out only knowing that the enemy fleet is out there somewhere. You make the first move. Maybe it hits. Usually it doesn't. Usually, it takes 3-4 moves to start putting the hurt on your opponent (unmet needs).

For me, the important thing was to make a good guess, then take action. When I did that and was taking action, customers would tell me, "That's nice, but what I really want is..." Bingo. Having enough insight into a small need led to a big one. As an IRL example of this, the Plymouth Iron Windmill Company used to give out BB guns as a free gift with the purchase of a windmill, which was their primary product. After a while, they realized that many, many more people wanted the guns than the windmills, so they pivoted their manufacturing, and Daisy BB guns was born. 130 years and $50M/yr later, they're still going strong.

Use your head to figure out what might be a need, act on it, and let your customers point you from that guess to their REAL need, and pivot accordingly.

Start here, and don't forget to rep+ the authors, these threads rock:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ng-social-media-marketing-masterthread.51141/

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...edia-coverage-masterthread.51995/#post-358032

Also, keep an eye out for my YT thread to be bumped, which is going to be updated in the next couple days on the inside. It will include mini articles about boosting an IG and Twitter account, driving traffic to your website, etc.

Keep grinding!

Another valuable write up. Thanks for guiding some of the youngsters. Rep+

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads