The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No News For a Week Challenge (Super Easy): Who's IN?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
With the election finally over, I'm planning to slowly transition away from all news for a week. Well, for a week to start, and then hopefully altogether.

Why?

Because news makes you unhappy: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

"News is bad for your health. It leads to fear and aggression, and hinders your creativity and ability to think deeply. The solution? Stop consuming it altogether."

Concentrating on things you can't control vs what you can, is a huge waste of time and effort.

So starting Monday, November 14th to Sunday November 20th, I won't be consuming any news. That includes:
  • Newspapers
  • Social media: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
  • Online news publications
  • TV News
  • Anything else that qualifies as news
And then after, I'll track my level of happiness and need to consume news.

If you guys are interested in taking part in the easiest "challenge" ever, then feel free to post your "progress" and results in this thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
If you guys are interested in taking part in the easiest "challenge" ever, then feel free to post your "progress" and results in this thread.

When people ask about such and such item on the news, my response has been the same for over 5 years now..

"The what..?"

I wouldn't have it any other way.

I wish you much success and freed up cranial space.

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
With the election finally over, I'm planning to slowly transition away from all news for a week. Well, for a week to start, and then hopefully altogether.

Why?

Because news makes you unhappy: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

"News is bad for your health. It leads to fear and aggression, and hinders your creativity and ability to think deeply. The solution? Stop consuming it altogether."

Concentrating on things you can't control vs what you can, is a huge waste of time and effort.

So starting Monday, November 14th to Sunday November 20th, I won't be consuming any news. That includes:
  • Newspapers
  • TV News

I'm down. I assume The Fastlane Forum doesn't count as news.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
isn't it kind of contradictory for a challenge to be "Super Easy"?

It's for awareness.

Like the "Ice Bucket" challenge. It was all about awareness and being mindful of the situation or environment you're typically ignorant to.

This kind of challenge is simply being mindful what you are consciously and unconsciously taking in through media.

Stopping your news intake might not be difficult.

The harder challenge would be to start replacing your gained time with positive action, rather than just pulling up Instagram or Snapchat.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
In last year I completely re-organized my info consumption system, I:
- Removed every source I don't want to read on my news feed.
Meaning everytime I open my news feed, I really like what I see.

- TV, if turned on, is for National Geographics, Discovery, History, or some good movie.
If something significant is about to happen, I know it long before it's finally on news, so there is nothing I have interest for.
If there is really something serious happening, trust me you'll know it not from news: I live in a city where 3 terrorist acts happened in less than one year and nothing would save you if you would be in a situation like this:

- Unfollowed and unfriended everyone I'm not interested in on social media.
No drama queens, dumbass posts and photos from saturday night since then.

- Ignored/banned every wasteman in every community I participate in or administrate.

This was the first step to get rid of info trash and it worked out very well. I can't believe so many people get their lives polluted with all of this, no wonder they don't get anywhere in life.
Second step was not so long ago when I stopped being attached to anything that happens. Now almost nothing can affect my mood and my life. If Earth stops spinning - you won't see me too nervous.
I'm very immune to negativity as I live in a place where people don't know how to smile, but being detached allowed me to focus on things I really care about. I can't remember the last time I had a bad day.

Hope you all do well and have a great week.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
@AgainstAllOdds This is probably a solid idea. If by the end of next week you begin to exhibit Jedi-like abilities, I'll give it a go.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Incidentally I deleted all news apps and twitter from my phone on Sunday. On Monday I noticed my brain was operating with more clarity.

You're correct and all news bulletins contain nothing but tales of woe.

I reinstalled twitter just for some news on the president election but quickly realised I was falling back into my old so called comforts and deleted it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Been doing this for the last 18 months.

It's hard to pinpoint whether this is wholly responsibly but I do believe it's played a major role in huge mindset shifts during this time.

Our 50,000 year old brain simply isn't designed to handle the world's 'news'.

Last edited:

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Beyond easy. I haven't watched the news at all in over 5 years.

I stay abreast of current events via social media or reading headlines on the internet.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
It's been a while I haven't "intentionally"watched the news. Life is short. Too much valuable information to consume daily and news is at the bottom of my priority list.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Quite ironic to read that in a newspaper.

Let me help you:

- Install "kill news feed" add-on on Chrome.
- Don't listen to radio channels or choose channels in another language.
- Don't watch tv channels.
- Break the habit of checking news sites every day. It's a habit like smoking, when you feel the urge to do it, do something else. I read the newspaper once a week, that's more than enough.

Even there's nothing happening, they need news. After a while you will realize most "news" is irrelevant, negative, lacking context and polarizing. I feel better and happier after banning most news out of my life.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
- Install "kill news feed" add-on on Chrome.

Week #1 is in the books.

Overall - week went great. I still consumed a bit of news via reddit (the worst news), however, cut out social media bullshit, tv, and newspaper news.

I think the biggest gamechanger was @Longinus 's recommendation: "Install 'kill news feed' add-on on Chrome."

That add on is amazing. It takes everything I hate about facebook and gets rid of it, leaving me with messenger, and the ability to browse individual facebook feeds. Facebook's gotten it to the point where they're integrated into so many technologies that it's not always possible to "not have a facebook". However, with that add-on, you get rid of all the facebook downside and are left purely with the upside.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Most news is bullcrap. They are either focusing on Sidewalkers complaining about the government and the rich or gushing over the latest celebrity scandal, or Slowlaners gurus boasting about the next mutual fund or stock to blast the financial world apart. Even if I were to attempt to gather opportunities or research to allow for a Fastlane validation, i.e data mining, it would be troublesome and...

...o damn that's a need all right

But either way, the news doesn't dictate the Fastlaner's life.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
The two most important things I do now is hold myself accountable to wake up early and not look at news/social media/youtube before 7pm. Only fastlaneforum during a meal!
All my other tasks fall back into place. It's amazing how much time I have now.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I'm about 2 years into the "no news" thing...and I love it!

I find it funny when people discuss current events/celebrities. I have no clue what they are talking about...and I don't care.

I'm saving about $130/month, no made-up "news" stress, and more time spent doing what I want to do.

Congrats man!

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
I'll do it starting now! My fall break has just started today so this will be a good chance to see how well I can do to avoid it. I just realised that my life could be so much better if I just stopped browsing the internet all together (besides TFF of course ). I spend sooo much time online. I'll be honest, I have spent 8/10 of my life on the internet, pretty sad. I imagine without the internet I'd be forced to do something of benefit when my biggest vice is gone. Thanks for the initiative.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Jumping on this challenge myself,

my biggest issue is not with the news, but with the social networks and Reddit. Especially Reddit, i can lose hours on that site. Uninstalled the app on my phone and will block it from all of my devices.

JP

Kevin Farney

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 1, 2016
This is so important. I haven't had a Facebook account for years... It's almost all garbage to include the mainstream and most alternative media sources. My only source of direct news is a few podcasts I'll listen to that will take an objective look and analysis of the headlines to try and deconstruct why they are saying what they are saying.

Definitely don't have it all figured out but you guys taking this challenge are heading in the right direction in my opinion! People waste so much time, energy, and emotional stress with things that don't matter or are false or worse-manipulative propaganda.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

I read a book recently about the principles of Stoicism, and it fits well into this discussion. The basic premise is to achieve tranquility and peace by eliminating negative emotions from your daily life.

There are 3 types of situations:

1. You have full control over it.
2. You have some control over it.
3. You have no control over it.

#1 - This should be where the bulk of your caring and attention should be.

#2 - You can put a lot of caring and energy here as well, as you can exert some influence, but at the same time you acknowledge that the outcome is not entirely in your control and you accept the worst case scenario, knowing that everything will be just fine even if that happens.

#3 - Almost 100% of news is in #3. My wife was ranting about some pipeline and native americans yesterday. I don't know what it is, and me caring or having an opinion on the issue won't change the outcome... therefore, I choose not to feel any worry or stress about it.

Worry about immigration? Nope. Can't do anything about it.

Worry about presidents? Nope. Didn't even vote, because 1 vote doesn't make a difference. It's an illusion of control. (The spread in texas was 600k or something).

Did you know a celebrity died today? Nope, and why would I want to hear about the death of someone I've never met.

If there is really something serious happening, trust me you'll know it not from news

But some of you might say "but what if something really important happens???" You hear about it anyways. Grocery store, friends, wife... someone, or multiple people will be talking about it and you can't escape from it.

I was in F*cking Sweden and some Swede told me about the cop killings in Dallas this summer. You can't escape the big news, it will find you.

So no need to worry.

Turn off the news, and experience the life around you.

Take pleasure in the little things.

A+ Thread @AgainstAllOdds

For anyone interested, a good overview on Stoicism is "A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy". I give it a 6/10. It's a little wordy, but just skip ahead when you're bored. You'll get the gist.

Last edited:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY

Why?

• Newspapers
  • TV News

Trust me, you're not missing anything. I Haven't watched the news or read a newspaper for years, highly recommended! I'm slowly moving away from FB as well. Scrolling through your newsfeed can be so toxic!

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I just stumbled across this thread, I will be taking the challenge, but for as long as I can rather than one week. A few years ago I stopped watching or reading regular news and instead I focused on more intellectual newspapers like The Economist, Financial Times, or The Atlantic. I would not advise anyone into tricking themselves into doing this as I did. With these publications, even though the focus is more worldly, and it covers wider problems which have impacts on global markets, cultures, politics, etc., in the end its still news, and its focus is still on problems. You feel like you are gaining a leg up over your peers by reading intellectual and diverse articles but the amount of times an article is going to be irrelevant to you is still most likely 99.9%.

Here is what I wrote 2 years ago which is very relevant to this thread and still holds true today:

https://thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-5oclock-shitshow-or-11oclock-if-you-prefer.53344/

Title may be offensive but I'm offended myself.

How can anyone watch the news?

This guy died, there was a fire over in that town, construction fell apart, shooting on the other side of the state with 2 dead, major storms taking over parts of the country, the moon had an earthquake, the Bundestag in Germany fell over, kangaroos forgot how to hop...

If these people aren't fear mongering the general population, they are wasting their time with meaningless stories.

If people haven't been brainwashed for decades, this business model wouldn't even be existent. I have a weather app on my desktop and phone and that's all I need.

Sure, a lot of unfortunate stuff happens and it may even hit close to home. But at what point does it really matter? If there was a fire 3 towns away on a street you've never visited, how is that different than a fire 1200 miles away? At the core, its not.

Focus. That's what the sidewalkers lack.

People tend to think they are individual entities but its better to think of yourself as a sponge. You absorb everything and become what you absorb.

Lastly, I do believe there is one way which to positively use news sites. I have been learning German for a few years and an old Professor of mine recommended http://www.nachrichtenleicht.de/ - Its news in German, which literally translates to "easy news". Targeted for the beginner German speaker. I think if you're trying to learn another language, simple news sites are great ways to read actual spoken language if you aren't fully immersed in that country. I am only learning German but I am sure there are other simple sites for various languages as well.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm doing the opposite, subscribed to FT, WSJ and Handelsblatt (a German financial paper) not long ago and trying to read as much as possible. Also a couple of blogs like ZeroHedge for a different perspective. Will see if I'll stick with it, gonna try it out for a few months. Want to get a better grasp on bigger economic/political issues.

@Choate You're right that most articles arent relevant to you, but on the other hand I think its important to escape the personal information bubble and get a broader view..

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I'm doing the opposite, subscribed to FT, WSJ and Handelsblatt (a German financial paper) not long ago and trying to read as much as possible. Also a couple of blogs like ZeroHedge for a different perspective. Will see if I'll stick with it, gonna try it out for a few months. Want to get a better grasp on bigger economic/political issues.

I've read a Belgian financial newspaper for years and it's actually the same story. Even if nothing happened in the world, they still have to fill an entire paper.

I sleep better now.

That being said, it is helpful if you have investments or a product that can be affected by world wide events (for example: we just sold oil stocks that we bought in March this year with 25% profit because the coming OPEC-meeting may lower the oil price.)

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
BUMP

This was initially a PM to @MJ DeMarco but I wasn't able to send it. I didn't want to start a new thread either.

=================================================

MJ left this reply in a thread I started earlier this week:

Thread closed.

You forgot to say why (or include why) the president would order a review of regulation.

Was it just to help the big Wall Street donors and banks that gave him millions in donations for his campaign? Oh shit, that was Clinton.

This is nothing but more partisan fear mongering as evidenced by the original link to NPR. It's like me citing InfoWars as a source.

"A reminder to exercise prudence when investing (thread title)"

We should be doing this 100% of the time anyway, regardless of what government regulations are in place, or not in place.

This thread can be readdressed (probably will need a new thread) when the details of the review become more clearer, and go beyond leftist hysteria.

I thought about what he said about NPR and leftist hysteria.

This got me to thinking about what sources of news (if any) I should read, and due to @Kak 's posts I've subscribed to the WSJ.

The WSJ articles about the exact same regulations presented a less fearful, calmer view of the situation.

It surprised me how a seemingly credible source like NPR could have such different views.

A quick Google search, and I find that the CEO of NPR, Jarl Mohn, has contributed to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee since 2000.

(And the WSJ seems to be run by more conservative folks like Gerard Baker and Rupert Murdoch.)

To sum up, I just wanted to say thanks to MJ for reminding me to be prudent about news sources.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I cut news out entirely about six months ago. One of the best things I have done for my productivity, focus and happiness.

Sometimes it feels very insular to act this way. But ultimately, most of the stuff that happens in the news has zero impact on my life.

Every now and then I look like a weirdo. For example, when the terrorism happened in Germany, I had no idea. I found out it happened a week after the event when a couple of friends were chatting about it.

Overall, my experience of no-news for 6 months have been very positive.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I cut news out entirely about six months ago. One of the best things I have done for my productivity, focus and happiness.

Sometimes it feels very insular to act this way. But ultimately, most of the stuff that happens in the news has zero impact on my life.

Every now and then I look like a weirdo. For example, when the terrorism happened in Germany, I had no idea. I found out it happened a week after the event when a couple of friends were chatting about it.

Overall, my experience of no-news for 6 months have been very positive.

The first time I read political news online (due to receiving an email from my financial app's ceo) led me to starting my first thread on this forum in two years and getting #landfilled

Definitely not a positive influence lol

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Things have changed now. Trump is taking so much action that there is something interesting on the news everyday. I just check it briefly during lunch and in the evening.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I'be had no fb, twitter or news contact for the past 3 weeks and I feel great. I feel zero urge to go back. A couple of pointers for other people looking to do cut down the political stress in their life:

You Can Delete FB and Keep Messenger

Of course you keep all contacts, and can add new ones. Only thing you can't do is send attachments (people will get an "attachment unavailable" error, so just put spaces in your links.) This lets you stay in touch with friends and family, and out of touch with news. Your most valuable excuse is now dead.

How to Prevent Getting Dragged Into Political Conversations in 2 Easy Steps.

Before I started using this method, I always allowed myself to engage in the conversations, even if I didnt want to. So I observed it and spotted the pattern most of my conversations used to follow.

Other Person: "So have you heard about [polarising political event/person]

Me: "Nah not really, don't be offended but I prefer not to discuss politics."

Other Person: "OK fair enough... but why?"

Me: [Here I start explaining myself, and open the floor for negotiation. People will negotiate with me about why I SHOULD NOT ignore the news, or try to drag my political views out.]

So my new method is to use 2 planned, canned phrases. One for the initial question e.g. "have you heard about x?" AND one for the "why don't you discuss/watch politics question?".

My answers are

Q: "You heard about x?"
1) "Don't be offended but I prefer not to discuss politics, it's tiring to me."

Q: "Why?"

2) "It's tiring and drains my energy which is why I'm not gonna discuss this with you."

That second one sounds like mild bottled irritation, and it's supposed to. I'm conditioning people around me that it's useless to try and they will always run into a brick wall bringing this stuff up.

Ever since I started using the canned phrases about 2 months ago, my life stopped being a debating class. You can use my phrases, or you can make your own, but this just works.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
what sources of news (if any) I should read, and due to @Kak 's posts I've subscribed to the WSJ.

WSJ is great, in fact, I think it's the last remaining MIDDLE of the ROAD news source.

IBD (Investors Business Daily) is good too if you like financial stuff. I used to subscribe to Barrons as well but didn't have the time to mull through the paper.

To be honest, if you're unsure who to trust with "news" I suggest you visit all types of news websites and determine for yourself.

Some report just the news as FACTS (as they should) others sensationalize the news and try to tell you what to think.

Unfortunately, most news slants left.

Here is a list across the spectrum. (THESE TEND TO FLUCTUATE, but will generally stay in their neighborhood of bias.)

ALT-LEFT (Leftist news w/some bouts of fake news, conspiracies, inane hysteria)
Vox, Slate, Buzzfeed, Mother Jones, Daily Kos, Reddit (except The_Donald)

LEFT
CNN / CBS / MSNBC / Politico / NPR / NYTimes / Washington Post / Huffington Post

MIDDLE-LEFT
The Hill / ABC / NBC / USA Today / Yahoo / Marketwatch / Twitter / Apple/Facebook News (Social media giants actively censor to favor a leftist persuasion, FYI, CNN, NYT, Politico, and WAPO used to be middle-left but w/the election they've completed gone SJW left)

MIDDLE (DYING BREED)
WSJ / Barrons / Sometimes Fox (Wallace, Shep Smith) / Economist / AP (varies) / Christian Science Monitor (don't like the word "Christian" fool you.)

Sometimes reading the UK news stuff helps, like the BBC.

MIDDLE-RIGHT
FOX, The Daily Caller, Washington Times, IBD

RIGHT
Breitbart, Drudge Report, Lifezette, The Blaze, Newsbusters (MRC), WND (w/Christian lean)

ALT-RIGHT (Rightist news w/some bouts of fake news, conspiracies, inane hysteria)
Gateway Pundit, Infowars, The Donald @ Reddit, Breitbart

I'd suggest reviewing all of them and decide what is right for you. If you're an entrepreneur who wants less government, less victimology, less taxes, and less corruption, the news sources you will gravitate should become pretty clear after spending a week at any of these.

Also, all of these websites have been guilty of sensationalism toward their bias. However once you recognize this, it's easy to sort through the biases and get right down to facts, minus the "here's what you should think" crap.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.