The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No News For a Week Challenge (Super Easy): Who's IN?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
This got me to thinking about what sources of news (if any) I should read

You listened to another person's point of view, then looked around and formed your own opinion? You're a damn internet unicorn. Rep+ :smile:

To be honest, if you're unsure who to trust with "news" I suggest you visit all types of news websites and determine for yourself.

When I was in the 10th grade I had a civics teacher that had us read an article about a labor dispute in the LA Times then write an opinion on who we thought was right/wrong. He then had us read an article about the same event from the Indy Star. What he pointed out was that even though both articles mentioned the same facts, the order in which they were presented and the other language used painted a totally different picture of what was actually going on.

That was my first exposure to the fact that almost all news is de facto editorial.

At the end of the day, you just gotta remember that there's no such thing as objective news, because news is produced by people, and people aren't objective.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Replacing "news" aka infotainment with books has been a big boost for me. I've never heard an entrepreneur say I started getting successful by watching the news, but almost all of them are readers. Including most of the folks here I'm guessing:) If there's something critical that needs my attention, my wife fills me in:)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I logged into Facebook a little bit ago, and out of curiosity disabled the plugin that kills the newsfeed.

Wow.

One realization I had: there are so many people not living their lives and merely getting upset by news stories.

Since making this thread in November, I've progressively deleted more and more news. The only thing I read now is: The Hustle newsletter (summary of WSJ + other sources), Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) | Twitter (to see if there's any changes in terms of trade and tax), and then have my assistant send me any articles relevant to my business in terms of policy (if your business is not highly affected by news, then seriously pay someone to spend that hour a day sifting through bullshit).

I will continue this trend, but can say that my level of happiness has increased. I am living a bit more in the moment and disconnected from what MJ calls inane hysteria.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I haven't really followed the news my whole life, do I win?

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I will pass without any effort at all. I haven't watched the news since 2002. Haven't saw a single news story on the Corona Virus or anything else.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Does friends and family count?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I have not watched the news on tv or read a newspaper in decades. Nothing they report on has any interest to me. Actually, if I watched it I would get so urinated off I'd want to kill all reporters and anyone involved with politics, so it's best I stay away. I do read racing news and sometimes I only read 1 sentence before I move on.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
The more I detach from the mainstream news channels, the more they disgust me when my eye falls on them by accident. When you stop feeding yourself with irrelevant negativity happening in the world, you quickly realize that news channels are made to maintain their streams of income and they're fine publishing WHATEVER guarantees clicks.

"The news" as we know it is definitely not a reliable or rational perception of what's happening in the world.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Let's up the ante then

No social media either, I permanently deleted "The Book" a while ago, not logged in to LinkedIn for a decade.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
With the election finally over, I'm planning to slowly transition away from all news for a week. Well, for a week to start, and then hopefully altogether.

Why?

Because news makes you unhappy: News is bad for you – and giving up reading it will make you happier

"News is bad for your health. It leads to fear and aggression, and hinders your creativity and ability to think deeply. The solution? Stop consuming it altogether."

Concentrating on things you can't control vs what you can, is a huge waste of time and effort.

So starting Monday, November 14th to Sunday November 20th, I won't be consuming any news. That includes:
  • Newspapers
  • Social media: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
  • Online news publications
  • TV News
  • Anything else that qualifies as news
And then after, I'll track my level of happiness and need to consume news.

If you guys are interested in taking part in the easiest "challenge" ever, then feel free to post your "progress" and results in this thread.
Guess I'm on a 3 year no-news streak lol
I don't even have a TV. Gave it to my parents as they seemed to love being brainwashed every evening.

Same thing with social media. Deleted Facebook and Instagram 2 years ago and never felt better in my entire life. I swear this forum is the only thing I check daily.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.