The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some advice (follow your passion? Binary options?)

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Perhaps?

FPz3KIf.jpg

That part is green for a reason

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Create value ..... as a business, in relationships, in posts on a forum ..... it is as simple as that.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
When I was playing football, my coaches always talked about being "coachable". What they were talking about was when a Wide Receiver drops a pass, and the coach gets in their face and tells them to do this or that, they listen. When, as a Running Back, I outran my blocker, my coach got on me and told me to do it a different way instead. Damn it, I liked doing it my way! But, at the end of the day, who do you think knows what's better? Me, who has been in the game for 10 years including peewee, or the coach who is on his 50th season as a coach and has coached championship teams? I listened to him.

My point is, Luffy, that you have so many people here who have been in the game for much longer than you and I have. Many are proven to be successful. They've been through it, they know what works and what doesn't. They know the do's and the don'ts. They're trying to coach you, just be coachable.

Last edited:

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
I always wanted to start a own thread about a topic dressed in this thread, but I hope that its not necessary and you could give me a quick answer to my question here. I hope Luffy that you don't mind if I add my little question to this thread.

I read the posts from Vigilante and MJ DeMarco about passion. I agree with both of them, but I recently watched a video of Steve Jobs:

He talks a lot about passion and "do what you love" in the speech and he his of cause not some type of feel-good guru who tries to sell his books to the graduates.
Still he said stuff like: "Find what you truly love" "it will never feel like work"

If you don't have time/want to watch the whole video (In my opinion its worth it!) I wrote down the times where he sais stuff like I stated above:
5:45
6:55
8:15-8:55
9:35
(not 100% exact times he said the "important" stuff 10 sec later.

So I was wondering. Is it possible to make money while doing what you love? Steve Jobs said if he would die the next day he would to the same thing as every day. (build computers)
Is Steve Jobs just an exception who "got lucky" doing what he loves, while the rest of us have to live in a small rooms, working our asses of while forcing ourselves to learn coding (Just an example ofc) to maybe make it one day and have time to do what we truly love to do?

I would love to hear your opinion, MJ DeMarco and/or Vigilante (Every other opinion is appreciated too of cause, these two where only the posts of this thread I kept in mind about passion)

Thanks in advance.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Is Steve Jobs just an exception who "got lucky" doing what he loves...

No, no he's not. Look at how enthusiastic any successful person is about the company they run. It's not that they love building computer, or they love selling people napkins. It's that they love building an empire. That is the passion people speak about in business.

For some reason people hear someone with success say stuff like "I wake up at 5:30 and read the newspaper while I ride the exercise bike. Then at 6:30 I have a fruit smoothie and head to the office" and take this as literal advice to do those activities. Stop. Don't. You're trying to replicate their routine that brings them success. Take the underlying implications as the advice.

The common theme you hear from successful people is to work hard, keep working, and learn to love what you're doing (working hard). Think about Job's words in this video,

I was lucky, I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees.
He ends that bit with

We had just released our finest creation the Macintosh a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired.
He's not saying he started building computer and loved it. No! He says we founded Apple, we grew apple for 10 years. We had 4,000 employees. We had just launched our best creation yet. I got fired! I was still building an amazing company...

He loved taking Apple from two people in a garage to $2b in sales and 4,000 employees. That's what he loved doing. He built an empire on an idea. The idea that he could find an untapped desire in the market and build a solution to fill that desire with the best possible hardware in the world.

That's what he did when he returned to Apple. He took his struggling empire that had deflated due to dry unimaginative management, and made it one of the best companies in the world by rebuilding the empire to give the market things it didn't know it wanted.

You gotta love the grind. You have to have passion for the niche your business is in--not a passion for the work itself, or even the product--but a passion for providing things so valuable to people that they will wait in line to get them. Sure Jobs liked his iPads, but he probably LOVED the market response and the way his empire strengthened off the back of his thesis: Make great things. Never settle. Be different.

This got a bit wordy, but the ultimate point is that it doesn't matter what you sell, it matters how you sell it. It matters that you love the process of creating, marketing, and fulfilling. <-- that, by the way, is the process we talk about. Create, market, fulfill. Once you create something and someone says, "wow, here's my money I want that," you'll be in love with the process too.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
He's not saying he started building computer and loved it. No! He says we founded Apple, we grew apple for 10 years. We had 4,000 employees. We had just launched our best creation yet. I got fired! I was still building an amazing company...

He loved taking Apple from two people in a garage to $2b in sales and 4,000 employees. That's what he loved doing. He built an empire on an idea. The idea that he could find an untapped desire in the market and build a solution to fill that desire with the best possible hardware in the world.

That's what he did when he returned to Apple. He took his struggling empire that had deflated due to dry unimaginative management, and made it one of the best companies in the world by rebuilding the empire to give the market things it didn't know it wanted.

You gotta love the grind. You have to have passion for the niche your business is in--not a passion for the work itself, or even the product--but a passion for providing things so valuable to people that they will wait in line to get them. Sure Jobs liked his iPads, but he probably LOVED the market response and the way his empire strengthened off the back of his thesis: Make great things. Never settle. Be different.
+Rep

This is great. At face value, it does sound like he (or any successful person, really) is talking about the specific industry and products, but when you read into it a bit, it really is about more.

G

GuestUser113

No, no he's not. Look at how enthusiastic any successful person is about the company they run. It's not that they love building computer, or they love selling people napkins. It's that they love building an empire. That is the passion people speak about in business.

For some reason people hear someone with success say stuff like "I wake up at 5:30 and read the newspaper while I ride the exercise bike. Then at 6:30 I have a fruit smoothie and head to the office" and take this as literal advice to do those activities. Stop. Don't. You're trying to replicate their routine that brings them success. Take the underlying implications as the advice.

The common theme you hear from successful people is to work hard, keep working, and learn to love what you're doing (working hard). Think about Job's words in this video,

I was lucky, I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees.
He ends that bit with

We had just released our finest creation the Macintosh a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired.

This got a bit wordy, but the ultimate point is that it doesn't matter what you sell, it matters how you sell it. It matters that you love the process of creating, marketing, and fulfilling. <-- that, by the way, is the process we talk about. Create, market, fulfill. Once you create something and someone says, "wow, here's my money I want that," you'll be in love with the process too.

39876-The-Rock-applauds-applause-cla-OmWp.gif

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The passion argument is simple.

Make real money from whatever you're doing, and you will experience real passion for it.

If you do it in reverse, then instead of experiencing passion for what you're doing, you will come to hate what you once loved.

Why?

Because you can't change people's minds. You can't force them to buy your shit. You can only get people to do things they already want to do.

If they don't want your product & don't see a need for it, then you can be passionate as hell but no one gives a shit.

Passion doesn't sell products that people don't want. But it does help sell products that they do want.

So write a book, or make an app, or create some piece of art...

If it sucks, or if it isn't what people want, then you will fail at selling it.

The reason some great authors are artists make it big isn't because they started with passion.

It's because they delivered something people valued.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I think the best entrepreneurs don't try to solve exisiting problems but they focus on creating new capabilities. It's putting their own twist to create something that they'd like to see that didn't exist before that happens to fill a need and when you get an idea that really resonates, you get more passionate the more you work at it. Steve Jobs was such an example imo.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I find the best entrepreneurs don't try to solve exisiting problems but they focus on creating new capabilities. It's putting their own twist to create something that they'd like to see that didn't exist before that happens to fill a need and when you get an idea you really resonate with you, you get more passionate the more you work at it. Steve Jobs was such an example imo.

A good entrepreneur finds a need, then solves it by adding a twist that makes it solve people's problems in new & better ways.

Not the other way around.

The other way around makes good inventors. Not entrepreneurs.

That's not my opinion. That's reality.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Sounds as "Ali Baba's cave". I'd be interested in this stuff. How much is "Open Sesame" for a month?

$10 a month. Without Vigilante's thread on the inside I'd still be sitting around wishing for a business. You still have to be willing to put in the effort though. It's not like joining the inside will just make you rich over night :)

Oh and if your Ali Baba reference is claiming that the inside is thievery you're completely wrong.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
G

GuestUser113

Isn't it better to find out if it will sell BEFORE you spend a lot of time building it?

The market telling you, it’s giving you some feedback and it’s telling you what you’re doing isn’t really working. You need to pivot, you need to switch. - MJ

Burbn to Instagram. http://www.inc.com/eric-markowitz/life-and-times-of-instagram-the-complete-original-story.html

" Burbn was not, however, terribly successful. The app was too complicated, Sawyer points out, and had "a jumble of features that made it confusing." Systrom, however, kept tweaking the app. He paid attention to how people were using it. He brought on another programmer, Mike Krieger; the pair used analytics to determine how, exactly, their customers were using Burbn. Their finding? People weren't using Burbn's check-in features at all. What they were using, though, were the app's photo-sharing features. "They were posting and sharing photos like crazy," Sawyer notes.

At that point, Systrom and Krieger decided to double down on their data: They focused on their photo-sharing infrastructure and scrapped almost everything else. Burbn would become a simple-photo-sharing app. "

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The passion argument is simple.

Make real money from whatever you're doing, and you will experience real passion for it.

If you do it in reverse, then instead of experiencing passion for what you're doing, you will come to hate what you once loved.

Why?

Because you can't change people's minds. You can't force them to buy your shit. You can only get people to do things they already want to do.

If they don't want your product & don't see a need for it, then you can be passionate as hell but no one gives a shit.

Passion doesn't sell products that people don't want. But it does help sell products that they do want.

So write a book, or make an app, or create some piece of art...

If it sucks, or if it isn't what people want, then you will fail at selling it.

The reason some great authors are artists make it big isn't because they started with passion.

It's because they delivered something people valued.

I have a guy that cleans my house.

He says that his wife hates his cleaning business.

I said "no she doesn't."

He said "What do you mean?"

I said... "Would she hate it if you made a million dollars from it?"

He said "No... she would love it."

She doesn't hate the cleaning business. She simply hates the lack of big money. If the same business were throwing off money like a duck throws off water, all the sudden she would love it.

The reason Steve Jobs LOVED his business was because it made him billions of dollars. Eventually, the message becomes "do what you love" because he did, right? Would he have loved it if it made him bankrupt? Doubt it. There's a correlation between giving value, getting money, and loving that exchange. I propose it is not the product, but the process of generating good will, providing value, and making cash that people LOVE.

When I wrote the passive income thread, it was my coming of age realization that I found a business that I LOVED. Not the product... but the process and the fact that the cash register rang at all hours of the night. I now do what I love I guess... I learned how to provide value and value prints money.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Passion is necessary but not sufficient.

If you don't love your mission, you're not going to see it through.

But if your mission adds no value, then you'll make no money.

I am passionate about helping people understand stuff I figured out, and helping people period.

If helping people or putting a smile on people's faces doesn't do it for you, then I think you've a hard road ahead.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser113

I have a guy that cleans my house.

He says that his wife hates his cleaning business.

I said "no she doesn't."

He said "What do you mean?"

I said... "Would she hate it if you made a million dollars from it?"

He said "No... she would love it."

She doesn't hate the cleaning business. She simply hates the lack of big money. If the same business were throwing off money like a duck throws off water, all the sudden she would love it.

The reason Steve Jobs LOVED his business was because it made him billions of dollars. Eventually, the message becomes "do what you love" because he did, right? Would he have loved it if it made him bankrupt? Doubt it. There's a correlation between giving value, getting money, and loving that exchange. I propose it is not the product, but the process of generating good will, providing value, and making cash that people LOVE.

When I wrote the passive income thread, it was my coming of age realization that I found a business that I LOVED. Not the product... but the process and the fact that the cash register rang at all hours of the night. I now do what I love I guess... I learned how to provide value and value prints money.

Passion is Bullshit. I don't think I can say it any better. (NSFW)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I listened to that entire video during a drive time this morning. I listened to it specifically because you posted it, so I figured it would be worthwhile. It was.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I listened to that entire video during a drive time this morning. I listened to it specifically because you posted it, so I figured it would be worthwhile. It was.

Haha, glad you said something, because I bounced at 1:53, just before it got interesting enough to hold my attention.

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
$10 a month. Without Vigilante's thread on the inside I'd still be sitting around wishing for a business. You still have to be willing to put in the effort though. It's not like joining the inside will just make you rich over night :)

Oh and if your Ali Baba reference is claiming that the inside is thievery you're completely wrong.
Of course, I didn't mean and then waiting for money would fill my pockets itself. What's Vigilante's thread on?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
This quote helped me when I was trying to figure out the passion equation:

"It makes no sense to start a business that is going to have you doing the work you don't enjoy. That's as far as we need to take the passion equation. Think long and hard about what your day-to-day tasks will be. Visualize yourself doing these tasks. If you don't like what you see, then it's not a good business idea for you. Other than that, don't worry about passion."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.