The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Go for the money or Follow your passion?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Phil K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Dec 29, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

My name is Phil. I'm 35, and I've wanted to start my own thing for a long time. I've done some small stuff in the past - some things worked pretty well before I was more or less forced to pull the plug, one thing I have going on is going alright (real estate) some things never really got too far off the ground before I realized they either weren't for me, or just flat out weren't going to work in the long run. I feel like I've read more than enough books and taken more than enough courses to be dangerous in a plethora of areas of business. Now I've decided it's time to really take control and accountability and do whatever it takes to get myself into the fastlane.

I see a lot of contraditing information out there regarding whether you should just go for whatever you think you can make the most money doing, or work as hard as you can to find out how to make money doing what you love.

I'm wondering - what are everyone's thoughts on this? I realize the answer can change depending on what the current 9-5 situation is (assuming a person has one). But for the sake of argument, let's ("hypothetically") assume that a person's 9-5 is more than enough to pay the bills, provides comfort and a good amount of flexility, pretty low stress, but is also super boring and unfulfilling.

I'm curious to see what people think. Thanks in advance!
Phil

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Duck

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 15, 2019
Denmark
My view on this is at the beginning, to go after the money. This is also something which is mentioned in the book The Millionaire Fastlane . It will require a decent amount of willpower but also helps to strengthen you as a person.

Later, when you have made some money and some kind of cash flow, you can start focusing on things that give you more fulfillment. At this time, you should also have some leverage to make your true passion something big.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Trust feedback look. Honestly I cas sceptic at first, but Gosh ! The feedback loop is so powerful, you can’t imagine the feeling you have when someone say they like or love your product or services, so go for the feedback loop. Then when u have your first client. You will understand you could sell abslutely anything even toilet paper if it Brings values in people life !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Phil K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Dec 29, 2016
Massachusetts

Thank you, MJ. I needed that. I've heard so much of both sides lately - and along the way I forgot the truth. I read TMF about 3 years ago - maybe it's time I do so again.

My frustration as of late stems from knowing that I have so many skills, and the intelligence to succeed at anything I put my mind to, that I second-guess what direction to point my attention and efforts - or what market to find a need in, that will evolve into something that provides the income I desire.

I've tried doing research and reaching out to folks in certain industries to find out their biggest "pain points" as a potential starting point, but I found the following issues with that methodology:
1.) Folks in those markets/industries can't properly explain their biggest pain points
2.) The biggest pain points in those industries are largely personnel based (I was hoping for something slightly more technical so I could determine/build a solution and scale)
3.) The skills I have are largely not conducive to anything other than general "consulting", which I hardly consider fastlane.

I know I can accomplish whatever I put my mind to - I'm just currently struggling with finding a need in the market that I know I can fill. I'd love any suggestions for how I might do that, or thoughts on why what I'm doing isn't working.

And if there's anything in your fastlane you think my skills or personality can help put into hyperdrive, I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks again for the kick in the pants.
Phil

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!