• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

GOLD I have a problem with MJ DeMarco (Follow your passion gets a beatdown)

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by kelvinfernandezm, Apr 26, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $285
    First of all I have read the Fastlane Millionaire every year for the past 3 years or so. I love the book. And yes I already order Unscripted I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

I respect MJ Demarco and his work but since the the first time I read his book I can't get over the fact that he says that money is more important than your passion. That doing what you love will not make you rich.

Imagine you're on your deathbed sweaty, nervous, trying your best to stay awake because you know that as soon as you go to sleep that will be the last time you close your eyes. You're dying on a 24k gold bedframe. But you don't care nor notice all that, you keep going back to that one thing you always wanted to be. A guitarist.

That was your dream and what you enjoyed most. But it wasn't paying the bills or putting food on the table. Nobody was buying your music either because they were been torrented. Yet you still enjoyed yourself and could survive off ramen noodles as long as your guitar was properly tuned.

But the pressure from your family to provide food and shelter made you take a detour on your dream. That detour led to riches but it also robbed you of your time with your precious guitar. Yet everytime you saw your dusty guitar in the coner of your room you told yourself next week I'll have free time to play. But you never did.

And yes I know money can buy you some good guitar lessons, your own record label, and even a recording studio. But unless you're Fastlane it won't give you time. So you either choose to strive to be rich or to follow your passion. Comfort in life or regret while dying.

Both passion and riches are essential for your life so is it possible to combine them both? Or are we forever force to decide for either or?

2. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $3,697
    Dude, you are more than welcome to play guitar and eat ramen. No one will stop you.

StevieB, Aaron T, _Seba_ and 68 others like this.
  3. thehighlander

thehighlander Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $282
    Yes it's possible to combine them both but maybe it's not probable. Great if you can pull it off. Maybe you're passionate about guitar but you're not good enough or you are the good in a genre that won't pay the bills.

Do something you have an aptitude for. The better you get the more you will like it.

Don't do something you hate but it's OK if sometimes there may be parts of a job you hate.

It's not good to be on your deathbed thinking about how rough your life was because you stuck to your passion project! Find a balance so that you take care of yourself and also get to do what you love as time and resources permit.

I've lately been thinking there's some value in sucking it up in a pursuit that is profitable solely to create a solid financial future. Basically save up enough to become financially independent. Live within your means and do what you like. That's much better than slaving to afford stuff that won't really make you happy.

Aaron T, Romeo D., Kingmaker and 6 others like this.
  4. TylerH1994

TylerH1994 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $393
    You become passionate about something when you become good at it. MJ doesn't want you to throw away passion, just don't fall for making it the focus of your income. Instead, focus on how you can provide value to people.

The reason you will be satisfied if you were to achieve the "riches" (in my opinion, some may be different) is because it shows that you provided value to people on a massive scale.

You can still do things your passionate about..

5. TeveTorbes

TeveTorbes Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,992
    You might be reading the words but not the message.

All I can say is you're doing yourself a disservice by reducing concepts to zero-sum/binary thinking.

6. kelvinfernandezm

Rep Bank:
    $285
    I get it since MJ was talking in the context of self help gurus telling everyone to follow their passion.

Eitherway what's the message according to you. That's why I wrote this post to get some perspective from other members.

7. TheDillon__

TheDillon__ Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,225
    I missed the chapter where MJ advocates aimlessly chasing money for the rest of your life.

His whole approach is exactly what you're looking for. Building a business system that affords you exactly the lifestyle that you're looking for.

It's not that he advocates turning away your passions in hopes of earning more dollars. He simply doesn't subscribe to, nor promote, a "paid to do what you love" philosophy. Rather, he wants you to find a need and build a business so you can get paid WHILE you do what you love.

No need to point fingers. Maybe I'll come play violin and eat tacos with you.

8. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,776
    Fastlane is predicated on the idea that time is more valuable than money, and that time is better spent doing things you love. However, using the time to do what you love to make money might not be the most efficient use of your time... or the most efficient way to make money. It also has the side effect of permanently etching an association between work + hobby. For some, that's terrible for morale.

Most people do what they love on their off time. They work a job to pay the bills and support themselves or their family, then do what they love whenever they find off time. Maybe weekday nights or on weekends. This is not efficient, either, because you spend 1/3 to 1/2 of your weekdays at work.

The independently wealthy can do what they love at any time. $10 million earning 4% interest is $400,000 a year minus taxes. This money works to make more money, so you don't work a job OR run a business. The Fastlane is the efficient path to achieve that monetary goal (whether it's $2.5m, $10m, or $1b). You build a business that has 5 important properties that make it attractive as a model, and you sell it to someone who either (1) makes a career out of taking late stage startups to IPO or (2) represents a large enterprise who would be better off with your business under their control rather than out in the marketplace.

That's the idea, anyway. In practice, it's a long journey. If you don't enjoy it, you might as well pick up that guitar and start strummin'.

tl;dr yes; no

Aaron T, Andy Daniels, Vilox and 16 others like this.
  9. Valor

Valor Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,500
    Following your passion and creating a Fastlane lifestyle aren't mutually exclusive - you can do both, even if they are not tied together.

If anything, by disregarding your passion in your Fastlane pursuit and focusing solely on where you can provide value, it allows you to achieve the freedom necessary to pursue your real passion sooner than if you'd try to combine your passion and the Fastlane.

10. EvanOkanagan

EvanOkanagan Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,115
    It seems like you're forgetting one of the most important commandments of the fastlane that MJ preaches--time.

11. startinup

startinup Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $794
    Let me start off by saying that I don't think you have to give up both honestly...

With that said, you will definitely have to define your priorities. Luckily this only takes a quick exercise:
    1. Write down what you want to accomplish in life, anything you want. Do you want to write a book? Run a marathon? Build a 7+ figure business? What do you want?
    2. Organize your list from most important to least important. What would you regret not doing? What do you only sort of want to do?
    ---

For a lot of us, or at least me, building a strong financial future is the most important goal on the list right now. Because I know if I hit that one goal, I will be able to accomplish all of my other goals more easily. Imagine what other areas of your life you could improve without having to go slave away at work for 40+ hours a week.

If you read TMF, you should know that MJ's business success allowed him to accomplish other dreams, like writing a book. For me and others, money is the first thing to get handled.

It might not be necessary for you. Just depends on the type of lifestyle you want.

12. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,836
    #landfill

13. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $229,670
    Admin Post
    Nice strawman bro, salted with a heaping spoonful of binarism...

14. TeveTorbes

TeveTorbes Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,992
    Ha. The too-long-didn't-read of everything that's ever been written.

Aaron T and jasoncuellar123 like this.
  15. kelvinfernandezm

Rep Bank:
    $285
    Bingo. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was missing the "paid to do what you love part." This is the trading your time for money pitfall.

I'm down for that make sure bring the world's smallest violin so you can play it while I eat my 50¢ tacos from Jack in the Box.

ZF Lee likes this.
  16. mike24601

mike24601 Consumption Bear Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,851
    Simply put: If your business is taking away so much of your time that you have to neglect your hobbies, your family, or your health, it isn't fastlane. What you have in that situation is a job, and there are many of them out there that pay you a fastlane lifestyle but the one immutable tradeoff is you must give up most of your time. You trade the 12 or so hours a day you spend at the law firm or in an office somewhere, and then if you're lucky you get to take your motorboat out on the weekends, which is also a trade in time. We who strive to reach the fastlane refuse to accept that we need to sacrifice the best parts of our life in the pursuit of wealth. Rather, we have to commit to working our tails off for a few years to create a system that frees us from ever having to work again.

17. rollerskates

rollerskates Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,276
    The thing about guitar playing and ramen eating is that it is an entirely selfish endeavor. Well, not the ramen, that's disgusting. If you want to make it your entire life, not only will you get bored quickly, you will start to feel worthless. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. The Fastlane mentality is to create something of value for OTHERS. If your guitar playing is of value to others, then you're not eating ramen, you're recording music that millions will buy, and that is Fastlane.

Lastly, if you are set on playing the guitar and eating ramen as a lifestyle, a van down by the river will be warmer in the south. ;)

18. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $738
    Nobody says anything is wrong with doing what you love. Go ahead.. I have friends who will never own a home or have a steady job, they just like to do what they love - travel, meet people, be a free spirit.

The point is, if you want financial freedom and the ability to do what you love at the same time, you cannot use what you love as a source of income.

19. Roli

Roli Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,934
    Yet you can't even get the title right? Try absorbing its message the next time you read it, that speed reading course did you no favours.

20. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,408
    Yeah, that's disturbing imo.

You missed the whole point of the book.

You achieve the Fastlane during your youth, not your late 70s.

Your whole rant about dying on your deathbed is illogical.

Like @MJ DeMarco says, "Folks, you don't want millions to accompany your cane, you want it to accompany your youth"

You make time an asset, not a liability. The reason you go Fastlane is to have FREEDOM!

• Freedom to play the guitar.
    • Freedom to be with your children.
    • Freedom from trading 5 days for 2 days!

#ThinkBeforePosting

21. KSR

KSR Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,786
    You've read the book 3 times and didn't quite get the gist of 'TMF'? I thought it was pretty obvious... build a business to sell it -- then you can play guitar and eat ramen noodles until your heart is content (or dead, whichever comes first).

22. Sully1994

Sully1994 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,541
    I think you might be incorrectly defining what "wealth" is. In his book, Demarco defines wealth as a trinity of health, relationships with family and friends, and the freedom to whatever you want, whenever you want. The reason he titled the book "The Millionaire Fastlane", is because we've been conditioned by society to equate wealth with vast sums of money and shiny material things. In short, it sells.

Money is certainly not more important than doing what you love. However it is necessary to attain the time freedom to do so.

Also, I don't completely agree that you can't do what you love and make money doing it- predicated on the fact that in order to get good at any skill, you have to have some amount of interest and passion in the subject. You will meet obstacles on your journey to success ( long before you're making decent coin in your venture) and then what will keep you going? Money is not a great enough motivator to push someone through a path with a statistically very low probability of massive success.

SinisterLex likes this.
  23. Longinus

Longinus Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,632
    [​IMG]

That's probably why 99.9% of all musicians, while trying to follow their dream, are bitter, frustrated and absolutely not enjoying themselves.

In case you still don't get it: playing songs on a tuned guitar won't solve problems for many people. Curing cancer will.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  24. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,420
    #CLICKBAIT #badreadingcomprehension #landfill

ApeRunner likes this.
  25. CycleGuy

CycleGuy Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,370
    Most people die in a bed of mediocrity without living their true dreams following the slowlane mentality...

At least if you're in a fastlane business you can have more freedom to pursue your dreams.