The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some advice (follow your passion? Binary options?)

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
So I want to start a business, few days ago I lost $293 on bullshit and it pissed me the F*#k off. I'm really motivated to start a business immediately but I've been thinking for the last few days and I'm drawing a blank as to what to do. Without getting sarcastic or posting stupid memes. I want some advice to point me in the right direction.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Welcome to the forum Tim, I get where you're coming from but I've heard that advice over a million times "follow your passion" "Know your strengths", thanks anyway. Raoul, all I got out of that video was taking initiative which I am and not stopping untill I succeed which I am.

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
You've heard it because it's true. Would feel good doing something you hate? That's like having a JOB!!!! EEEKK. Would you feel good doing something you don't do well? The trick is figuring out what endeavor will get you up in the morning, eager to move the ball forward. Self-assessment is tough and might be easier to start by asking friends or family. Even strangers can have a better perspective on your talents than you might. "Not stopping until I succeed" is pointless without a goal.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Luffy I'm new here also but I would recommend starting with something you are good at. What kind of value do you specifically have to offer? Let that determine your starting point.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
You've heard it because it's true. Would feel good doing something you hate? That's like having a JOB!!!! EEEKK. Would you feel good doing something you don't do well? The trick is figuring out what endeavor will get you up in the morning, eager to move the ball forward. Self-assessment is tough and might be easier to start by asking friends or family. Even strangers can have a better perspective on your talents than you might. "Not stopping until I succeed" is pointless without a goal.
That is all well and good but it's also the reason I've been paralyzed untill now, I don't want to wait untill I figure out what I'm passionate about because I'll likely wait forever, aslong as I like something(which doesn't have to be passionate) I can live with it, I much rather do something now even if it's not perfect and adjust later. Your advice is great but it's not something I haven't been over already.

Luffy I'm new here also but I would recommend starting with something you are good at. What kind of value do you specifically have to offer? Let that determine your starting point.
If I knew the answer I don't think I'd be here right now, I would say welcome but you joined a long time ago.

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
This isn't a ad, but you might want to check my book, Startup Assembly Manual. No matter what you start, you have to figure out if you can generate motivated customers first. Without motivated customers, you really can't build a successful product or business. It doesn't matter if you are the product or you create a product, the same approach applies. There's a process for that and it might be a good investigation tool for you to think it through.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
How about you stop posting and start reading. There are image macros with your name on it because you post nonsense a majority of the time, constantly asking for answers to questions that aren't asked.
So I want to start a business, few days ago I lost $293 on bullshit and it pissed me the F*#k off. I'm really motivated to start a business immediately but I've been thinking for the last few days and I'm drawing a blank as to what to do. Without getting sarcastic or posting stupid memes. I want some advice to point me in the right direction.

You want advice. You are providing nothing to be advised on. You lost a few bills, your downstairs mix-up is sore, and you want a step by step guide on how to get your money back and then some.

Might I recommend blackhatworld or warriorforum? You could probably round that $293 to an even $300 buying some nonsensical PLR WSO step by step guide on how to spam YouTube with dog shit hoping some sucker downloads your adware and you make a few dimes.

G

GuestUser113

How about you stop posting and start reading. There are image macros with your name on it because you post nonsense a majority of the time, constantly asking for answers to questions that aren't asked.

You want advice. You are providing nothing to be advised on. You lost a few bills, your downstairs mix-up is sore, and you want a step by step guide on how to get your money back and then some.

Might I recommend blackhatworld or warriorforum? You could probably round that $293 to an even $300 buying some nonsensical PLR WSO step by step guide on how to spam YouTube with dog shit hoping some sucker downloads your adware and you make a few dimes.

SkDiAm0.jpg

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Luffy, I agree with Charnell. Stop being so lazy. You are starting with the wrong question. It's not, "how can I make money?" I joined a while back, but am just now engaging here. You've obviously posted stuff like this before, so why not learn this time and stop doing your same ol' schtick?

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
http://www.kilobolt.com/game-development-tutorial.html

Didn't give us anything to go on, you don't know your passions. Follow this tutorial, make the simple game created in the tutorial, add some unique features, get some unique assets made on Fiverr, release it, use that knowledge to create more simple 2D games. They don't have to be huge, complex games, simple fun cute games work just as well. Add in some IAP and make a little money on each game. Keep going and releasing different simple games. Add in various genres, separate from sidescroller to puzzles to trivia and so forth. Get to where you can release a new game every few weeks and you're cranking them out. Make a few hundred bucks a month on each game. Release 10-20 games, still making a few hundred bucks a month. Quit your job, crank out simple games quicker. Keep making more. Get a nice, steady passive income. Hire another developer. Expand. Scale, scale scale. Keep going. Profit.

There's no excuse. I laid out a clear plan for you, just like you asked. All you have to do is persevere and work hard. Make games that are simple, fun, addictive and challenging. Go.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Instead of worrying about your passion or whatever, why not find a need and figure out a way to fulfill that need? Look for goods or services lots of people (or just a few wealthy people) need and use but don't want to make or do themselves. You'll never go broke performing a service people need but don't want to or can't do for themselves. Start making money, then figure out how to scale it up.

When I was in high school, a kid down the street asked is dad to buy him a motorcycle. Dad said no, you need to learn to earn the money yourself. So, he started mowing lawns. Then, hired other kids to mow lawns. Started providing other services such as treatments to make lawns greener. Today, he has one of the largest national lawn care businesses in the country. But, his passion was motorcycles, not lawns.

Cheers,
O2

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
People aren't productively passionate about physical things, usually. They are passionate about the subjective things that it represents. You can be passionate about the freedom you enjoy on a motorcycle, or the feel of 106 CIs under your crotch, or the acceleration. Your friend might be passionate about the problem-solving and vision-building. Lawns may just be the vehicle; the reward of success is the driver and the destination.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I want to start a business, few days ago I lost $293 on bullshit and it pissed me the F*#k off.

Lemme guess, binary options?

You've heard it because it's true. Would feel good doing something you hate?

It's not true. It's regurgitative guru clap-trap, a predefined script into a fixed-mindset.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. People who avoid doing things they hate never grow to what they need to become. For example, I just spoke to group of entrepreneurs in Scottsdale and being the introvert I am, you could say I hated it. But after it was done, I loved it. If I fell into the some old crap/clap trap of "follow your passion" I would have declined to speak, arguing, "I'm not passionate about it."

The best smackdown of the "follow your passion" BS comes from Mike Rowe.

http://yellowhammernews.com/faithandculture/alabamian-gets-schooled-mike-rowe-dirty-jobs/

Every time I watch The Oscars, I cringe when some famous movie star – trophy in hand – starts to deconstruct the secret to happiness. It’s always the same thing, and I can never hit “mute” fast enough to escape the inevitable cliches. “Don’t give up on your dreams kids, no matter what.” “Don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t have what it takes.” And of course, “Always follow your passion!”

Today, we have millions looking for work, and millions of good jobs unfilled because people are simply not passionate about pursuing those particular opportunities. Do we really need Lady GaGa telling our kids that happiness and success can be theirs if only they follow their passion?

Passion has it's place and it spurns from meaning and purpose. With meaning and purpose, passion is a side-effect, and that passion ultimately becomes indifferent to what you are doing. Do you think the person trying to overcome cancer will deny treatment because he's not passionate about it? Or will he do whatever it takes because now he has a meaning and purpose?

Returning to my public speaking session, meaning and purpose got me on stage, not passion.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I lost $293 on bullshit and it pissed me the F*#k off

I dunno man, losing $293 doesn't sound that bad. You're doing something, you're failing, and there's a reason for the failure. There's learning opportunities there.

The only thing you're really doing wrong is posting about every little thing you do. We can't tell you what you should learn from each experience, only you can discover that for yourself.

I know the resident trolls F*ck with you a lot but they have a point. Chill out with the posting for a bit. Write down everything that happened that caused you to lose $293. Then write down how you could do it better next time.

Keep doing what you're doing, but think while you do it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

My son came home from college spouting this same concept that he heard from a college professor. The professor undoubtedly read it from some feel good business book. "Do what you love" he said " and you will never work a day in your life."

"Really?" I said?

Then we had a discussion. My son loves cars. Knows more about mechanical and design aspects of cars than anyone else.

So what would this unicorn look like that would have him "doing what he loves" so that he would "never work a day in his life?"

Should he
  • try to make it in the NASCAR circuit? You start at the bottom, at local races, busting your a$$ for peanuts and doing mechanical work on your own broken jalopy while kissing small time sponsor's asses for a few bucks to keep your car running. Seemed like a lot of work.
I could spot him some cash so he could:
  • start his own dealership, working it up from a few cars into a huge empire over the course of a decade or two. 5AM rise and shine. Get it started. Too much work to feel like you never worked a day in your life.
With his automotive engineering degree, he could always
  • go to work at ford, starting on the bottom rung of the ladder and putting in his obligatory 60 hours a week as he climbed, scratched and faught his way up the automotive engineering ladder into executive leadership.
THE REASON most businesses fail is because they don't have a VALUE proposition to offer. I love little kittens, so I am going to open a kitten farm, because that is where my passion is. However, I forgot to assess the market, where the value most people place on kittens is FREE. Boom. I followed my passion, and all I have to show for it is a couple dozen kittens, several litter boxes full of kitten shit, and a going out of business sign.

It took me 20 minutes to deprogram my son from the advice of following passion. I guarantee you that his professor is passionate about teaching kids, but can't F*cking wait until his next vacation.

Find a need. Create scale. Make it in an area with barriers to entry. Exercise market control, and separate your income from time. When you do that.... you will have all the time in the world to pursue your knitting, your sailboarding, or your race car driving. Rather than picking something you can spend the rest of your life doing so that you can pretend you are not working, how about building something of value, cashing out on it, and spending the rest of your life following your passions where ever they take you?

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I want to start a business, few days ago I lost $293 on bullshit and it pissed me the F*#k off.
My son came home from college spouting this same concept that he heard from a college professor. The professor undoubtedly read it from some feel good business book. "Do what you love" he said " and you will never work a day in your life."

"Really?" I said?

Then we had a discussion. My son loves cars. Knows more about mechanical and design aspects of cars than anyone else.

So what would this unicorn look like that would have him "doing what he loves" so that he would "never work a day in his life?"

Should he
  • try to make it in the NASCAR circuit? You start at the bottom, at local races, busting your a$$ for peanuts and doing mechanical work on your own broken jalopy while kissing small time sponsor's asses for a few bucks to keep your car running. Seemed like a lot of work.
I could spot him some cash so he could:
  • start his own dealership, working it up from a few cars into a huge empire over the course of a decade or two. 5AM rise and shine. Get it started. Too much work to feel like you never worked a day in your life.
With his automotive engineering degree, he could always
  • go to work at ford, starting on the bottom rung of the ladder and putting in his obligatory 60 hours a week as he climbed, scratched and faught his way up the automotive engineering ladder into executive leadership.
THE REASON most businesses fail is because they don't have a VALUE proposition to offer. I love little kittens, so I am going to open a kitten farm, because that is where my passion is. However, I forgot to assess the market, where the value most people place on kittens is FREE. Boom. I followed my passion, and all I have to show for it is a couple dozen kittens, several litter boxes full of kitten shit, and a going out of business sign.

It took me 20 minutes to deprogram my son from the advice of following passion. I guarantee you that his professor is passionate about teaching kids, but can't F*cking wait until his next vacation.

Find a need. Create scale. Make it in an area with barriers to entry. Exercise market control, and separate your income from time. When you do that.... you will have all the time in the world to pursue your knitting, your sailboarding, or your race car driving. Rather than picking something you can spend the rest of your life doing so that you can pretend you are not working, how about building something of value, cashing out on it, and spending the rest of your life following your passions where ever they take you?

Man I wish we could GOLD POSTS over THREADs.

D

DeletedUser394

Binary options. It was only a matter of time.

This thread made my day.

Luffy, you need to work on your interpersonal skills. Fairly easy to be civil just by using words on the internet.

You ask for advice (or something?), then are a complete douche to everyone that responds (disregarding the meme posts).

If you already know everything, why you here?

Yet another joke thread, from a person that most just can't take seriously.

At least Vig is around to drop some truth bombs.. but OP is too arrogant to understand any of it.

Most 20 year olds are though I guess.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I dunno man, losing $293 doesn't sound that bad. You're doing something, you're failing, and there's a reason for the failure. There's learning opportunities there.

The only thing you're really doing wrong is posting about every little thing you do. We can't tell you what you should learn from each experience, only you can discover that for yourself.

I know the resident trolls F*ck with you a lot but they have a point. Chill out with the posting for a bit. Write down everything that happened that caused you to lose $293. Then write down how you could do it better next time.

Keep doing what you're doing, but think while you do it.
I'll start from the beginning because everyone seems to misunderstand where I'm coming from. Yes I lost $293 on Binary Options, for those of you who seen the other thread you know I went to $400 in a few days, that was several weeks ago. I had made a total investment of $340 and the method I used to earn before successfully had failed completely this time. After losing $293 I was left with $47 of my initial investment which I took out. I was very bitter about losing money like that but I had learned my lesson, no more Binary Options for me. However, I also got motivated to take action to start an actual business because not only is Binary Options rigged, there is little control there. As I said in the OP, the last few days were spent thinking of what I could do in terms of starting my own business. Obviously I can't come here asking for ideas so I made this thread in the hopes of getting some kind of advice or inspiration, something to get the creative juices flowing, you know. One last thing, I don't mind the trolls, I actually find them amusing but it makes me curious about what they achieved if all they know to do is post memes.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Binary Options rigged, there is little control there.

LOL. Funny how some people don't want to listen when they're told the fire is hot. Nope, they need to walk into the fire and feel the burn for themselves.

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
I hate to keep this rolling, but.... "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" is such inane crap. I love drinking beer.

Do what
1) you enjoy doing
2) you're good at
3) someone will pay you for.

What THAT is, is the secret of life.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
LOL. Funny how some people don't want to listen when they're told the fire is hot. Nope, they need to walk into the fire and feel the burn for themselves.
It's not something I didn't know beforehand, I was never planning on Binaries being something longterm.

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
Luffy.
What are your skills? Your passion or hobby?

Sorry. but your question is about nothing mate.

niftyg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't get salty about losing that much money. It could be lots worse. Imagine if you invested years and tens of thousands of dollars into a failing idea.

D

DeletedUser394

It's not something I didn't know beforehand, I was never planning on Binaries being something longterm.

Again, he knows everything.

We're beating a dead horse here people.

Good luck Luffy. But I know you think you don't need it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.