The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just wanted to thank you @SinisterLex for this great thread. Seriously helpful information for anybody who is looking to make some extra. Freelancing has a real low barrier of entry and there are really no execuses for not trying. The advice in this thread works!

I'm about to reach my first 1000 $ in Upwork just by reading this thread.

I know that it is not fastlane, but it is a good start:
You help somebody solve a problem on the other side of planet and they like your solution so much, that they send you money :)

Will transfer Rep(when I have enough to give, better go and help somebody :p)

Great work!

It's awesome to see people are still building income from scratch.

Even better to read about someone doing it in a different industry.

Your industry could turn out incredibly lucrative the more you branch out once you have plenty of clients.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I do not come to this forum or any other forum anymore, but I will come here to say this.

I recently started to hire people for jobs on UpWork myself.

It really hit home to me.... when I get applications for the jobs I posted.

I posted a job the other day, 9 people applied in the first day.

Most had great reviews, many hours logged, etc.

Guess what?

I didn't want to hire a single one of them.

Why? Every single one of them, said the same bullshit. An obvious copy and paste template they send to every job application.

They start with "Dear Hiring Manager"

Are you F*cking kidding me? Complete 100% turn off. I dont care what your feedback is, I don't care how many hours you have logged.

What you actually type in your message to me... is everything.

This proves one thing: Making money on UpWork is incredibly easy... IF you're not lazy. Period.

If you're not making at least 500 a week on UpWork. Then you don't get it, and you're lazy.

Now Just go Do It.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Little side note since I happen to get this email and read it right after I posted my above comment.

UpWork will now charge 20% for jobs below 500, then 10% ( which is what it is right now ) on 500 - 10k.

This is supposed to encourage long term work with clients.

So, immediately my solution is to charge more...

or make more than 500...

or ( best scnenario ) you take the client off upwork and they pay you another way that's not a 10-20% fee and UpWork can go F*ck themselves.

Which is easy if you build a decent relationship with your clients.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Little side note since I happen to get this email and read it right after I posted my above comment.

UpWork will now charge 20% for jobs below 500, then 10% ( which is what it is right now ) on 500 - 10k.

This is supposed to encourage long term work with clients.

So, immediately my solution is to charge more...

or make more than 500...

or ( best scnenario ) you take the client off upwork and they pay you another way that's not a 10-20% fee and UpWork can go F*ck themselves.

Which is easy if you build a decent relationship with your clients.

Yeah, this is really F*cked. I thought the 10% fee was bad and now they double it. None of my contracts have been over $500. Most of the things I do are like rewriting sales pages, writing sales pages, rewriting websites, landing pages, etc. None of that usually comes out to over $150. Extreme turn off.

Im currently working on a personal site and when I'm done, I think I'll make an agency website and sell/pitch through that website and use my feedback from upwork and fiverr as social proof on there.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Whats going on everyone! I have a quick question...

Has anyone been told to sign NDA's on Upwork? Is it a common thing? This is the first one I've ever been told to sign.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Whats going on everyone! I have a quick question...

Has anyone been told to sign NDA's on Upwork? Is it a common thing? This is the first one I've ever been told to sign.

I've never had to sign one, but they are fairly common.

Clients don't want people stealing their ideas, and in the event someone does, the contract helps protect them.

If you read it and agree with it then it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then you probably shouldn't work with them.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I just want to address some of the concerns that some people may have.

One concern I've seen is "Why should I work to make a measly $4k/month when I can get a $48k/yr job pretty easily?"

This is an honest concern. And they're right: don't put in full-time effort to do this when you've already got a job.

For most people, this will only ever become a 'beer money' pursuit... and that's all it should be.

I also don't recommend quitting your job to do this full time, for a couple of reasons:

1) Upwork has all the control at the end of the day.

2) You can't scale this without hiring out work, and Upwork as a lead generation platform is limited.

3) It's more unpredictable than your typical Fastlane pursuit.

Who should really be putting full time effort into this?
  • High school and college students
  • People with minimum wage part-time jobs and no marketable skills
  • Unemployed people
If you don't fit any of these criteria, I highly recommend against putting full-time effort into this.

Another concern I've seen is whether copywriting is a useful skill to learn.

It's incorrect to say that copywriting is a useful skill. It's more correct to say that PERSUASION is a useful skill.

Copywriting is persuasion in print. If you're doing B2B in-person sales selling high-dollar solutions, then do you really need to be a good copywriter? Probably not. But you still need persuasion skills.

tl;dr A job is probably better than this; copywriting isn't 100% necessary but persuasion is

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hey y'all:

I'm looking for someone to do some work for me.

I have two pieces of work that need to be done: One e-mail gig, and one Web sales page.

PM me about it. This is PAID work.

Please, only send if you have already done your first Upwork job doing either (1) e-mail writing or (2) a Web sales page.

I will pick the person who writes me, over PM, the BEST PROPOSAL.

Yes, you must write me a KILLER PROPOSAL to get this job.

I will close this offer in exactly 72 hours, that is at 3 PM EST on Tuesday, May 24th. (Convert this time to your time zone).

This opportunity is restricted to registered users of the forum with at least 20 likes on their posts.

MODS: if this is not OK, please delete this post.

NOTE: Viperion Corporation has NOTHING TO DO with this post or the work needing done and it is not MJ DeMarco's fault if anything goes wrong with this job. This is a paid opportunity that the poster reserves the right to deny or close for any reason. Be careful who you do business with.

SECOND NOTE: This opportunity is now CLOSED.

Last edited:
D

Deleted25642

Join the Bomb Squad. Disarm and De-Escalate Angry Clients Before They Explode.

No matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone. Sometimes you get clients who don't like something about the product or service you deliver. When this happens, they start asking for change after change, and the result can end up wasting a lot of your time.

The problem is you have to give in to their every demand or risk damaging your reputation. Even the slightest counter-productive comment by you could set them off, so you have to be really careful.

So how do you diffuse a bomb anyway?

Step 1: Have Patience & Presence

The first step is patience, because it's how you buy time. Never lose your cool. If you get an email you don't like, (like a breakdown of what they hate about your copy) just put it aside and let it sit for a while. Think about other things. Wait until you're calm and can approach with the right mindset.

If you screw with it while you're angry, you'll miss the underlying issue. You have to be present to read between the lines. When we're angry we aren't present. We're internal. We're wrapped up in our primitive thoughts and feelings - swept out by a tidelwave of adrenaline & fight or flight syndrome.

Have the patience to deal with problems when you're calm and present.

Step 2: Keep an Open Mind

Yes, you've labeled yourself, "professional" or "expert" at what you do, so that means you've gotta be right 100% of the time, right? Wrong. Chances are your clients know their customers better than you, so when they give you suggestions or offer advice, it's not because they hate your copy.

It's because it didn't read the way they need it to read for their market. This is their business. Their baby. They're putting a lot of trust in your hands that you won't blow it. If you're really a professional, then you'll keep an open mind so you can see through the anger and drama to the clear-cut answer on the other side. Usually it's something simple.

They don't hate you. It's not personal. Your copy just isn't what they need... yet.

Step 3: Diffuse Anger with Acceptance & Agreement

Let's say you let them get the best of you. Things are already a bit heated and you've had a few back and forths. They're not accepting your ideas, and you think they're a moron. Well, this is where patience & presence comes back to save the day.

Remember, patience buys time so you can calm down and think clearly. Presence allows you to read between the lines to see the best course of action. You'll need both to rise above your ego and fix the problem.

If they're already angry, then there's one super simple tactic that works every time. Avoid arguing in the first place. Okay, that's not what I was gonna say, but it works too. But seriously, if they're already angry, then you have to accept that it's not personal, accept that they're a person with thoughts and feelings and agree with them on some element of the issue.

Who cares if they're wrong. You're an influencer, aren't you? So influence!

Find something you can agree with them on, and then say the words, "I agree with you on this..." avoid following with the word, "but..." But suggests you don't actually agree. Instead, replace it with "and..." this is a linking word that maintains the flow and energy instead of blocking it up again.

Compare these examples:

"Tom, I agree this sentence is over the top, but I think we can use it."

"Tom, I agree this sentence is over the top, and I think we can approach from another angle."

Buts show you're holding to your position. And gives you ways to work around issues.

The words I agree instantly disarms them since the only reason they're arguing is because they want to feel right. Why not let them?

They put their ego on the line, so even if they're wrong, they won't back down. Instead, you have to give them a way to bow out gracefully by letting them think they're not completely wrong.

If it turns out you're wrong, then agreement still works because it lets you reverse your position in the most direct way possible. They won't hate you for challenging them if you say I agree. Instead, they'll love you for being open-minded enough to see things from their perspective. Plus it makes them feel good too.

Step 4: Sign a Peace Treaty

Once you agree with them, the conflict ends. Think about it, how can their be conflict if you're in agreement? You agree. There's nothing to conflict about.

However, if it turns out you were wrong about something, make sure you admit it up front. Don't beat around the bush. Forget your stupid ego. State it loud and proud, and make it personal.

"Hey Tom, thanks for having so much patience with me. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. It's difficult to see minor mistakes when you're so close to the project. Having your outside perspective really helped."

What did you just do? You thanked him. You humbled yourself. You gave him a feeling of power. You made him the authority. You made him feel good. You've appealed to his good nature.

Now he respects you. He's no longer angry. The bomb is diffused.

Most people deflect responsibility. As Fastlaners we already know about this mentality. We can't afford this mentality. But if we accept responsibility for our actions, we have a chance to make such a big impression on our clients, they'll leave good feedback, and spread the word, even if your product wasn't exactly what they wanted.

How to Diffuse a Bomb?

Patience & Presence
Keep an Open Mind
Acceptance & Agreement
Admit When You're Wrong

Try it. It you do it right it works every time. You'll never have to worry about angry clients again.

Just Do It.
That was awesome. The "and" vs "but". Have you read books that specifically address handling situations like that or is it just something you're a natural at?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
That was awesome. The "and" vs "but". Have you read books that specifically address handling situations like that or is it just something you're a natural at?

TBH I don't recall where I learned it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in a book, but it might have been. If I had to guess I'd say it was from something by Tony Robbins, because his older material goes over handling objections and arguments and things like that a lot.

Hope that helps!

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
First of all...

I was looking for this thread today in order to share a story with you guys and stumbled upon this link.

This guy has completely copied your first post @SinisterLex -

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-make-1000-week-degree-feedback-portfolio-charles-j-phua

You know you're doing something right when people are copying you. Good job! :)

Second of all...

I was on upwork last week just fussing around.
I applied to a couple of gigs I thought were relevant to my skill set and that could potentially make me some decent cash for my time.
About 30 minutes into it, I stumbled upon a guy who needed some articles written.
He was searching for someone in the mid-price range of workers on upwork to write content for his website on the subject of marketing and sales.
Essentially, he was looking for someone who was skilled, but wouldn't break his budget.

Seemed pretty good to me. So I applied.

I wrote up my proposal using @SinisterLex's methods and heard back from him shortly after (It works every time...)

In no time, he contacted me back and we got on a Skype call.

We began to chat.
He seemed like a pretty cool dude and seemed to know what he was doing.
(He even said he was a member on the forum. AWESOME!)

He told me how he wanted to start taking his content marketing to the next level and how he needed a skilled writer to help him out.
I proceeded to show him some samples and he seemed pleased.

He showed me what needed to be written and when it needed to be delivered.

And that's when everything started to go downhill....

"Can you write articles for me based on these topics and have them delivered to me ASAP Mr. Machado?"

Just so you guys know, these articles needed to be:
  • 100% original content
  • Deeply researched
  • Copyscape approved
  • Fun and engaging
  • Written by a native english speaker and skilled copywriter.
  • And delivered in 24 hours or less.

" Mr Machado, what I can offer you is 4 articles at 2k words each. Oh.... and I will pay you $11 for 1k words!"

(Boy... was I excited to take on this "opportunity")

So... I politely rebuttaled and said: " It seems that your rates for such expectations are quite unreasonable"
So I proceeded in trying to negotiate something better since these articles were on topics that I could write something up fairly quickly.

The next thing you know...

The kid got an attitude.

He put up a small fit for me saying such a thing! (How dare me, right?)

I didn't even want to waste my time.

Block >> Delete

End of story.

So why I am saying all of this?

2 Lessons I learned from Upwork today

1. If you hire freelancers, set reasonable expectations (and pay a fair wage based on those expecations).

A topic of debate here on this thread is how Upwork doesn't filter out people's expecatations correctly. I couldn't agree more.
Here's a guy who wanted to hire someone in the mid-range ($$) and yet is offering me the chance of a lifetime to write 2k words for $20. No thanks. I completely wasted my time (that sucks).

2. Know your worth

Want to know what the sad thing is?
Someone will accept his offer.
They will carry out his 21st century internet sweatshop job with a smile on their face.
Value your time. Don't be afraid to say no.There are plenty of REAL opportunities out there and people who actually care enough to pay you a decent wage for your time and effort.

The TRUTH is that...

• People like him are the one's who give Upwork a bad rep.
  • People who take on these jobs are the one's who screw it up for everyone else.
  • The person hiring is thinking about how he can exploit the freelancer.
  • The freelancer works based out of fear (I need to get 5 star feedback. Nobody hires me! It'll be great for experience).

And there's a reason why these two work together: They are both low quality people.

The Solution?

• Find high quality clients.
  • Solve their problems.
  • Develop relationships with them.
  • Repeat.

It's simple, it's just not easy.

- Thiago

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey couldn't even spend 10 minutes to re-word things.

Smh.... :facepalm:

Oh well. I reported him. Not like the info will be useful for him anyway.

I'd even go so far as to say it won't be useful for anyone beyond this website.

Context is everything.

Telling people to help others means nothing. Everybody says "help others" now.

Kind of like having a magic lamp, but not knowing you have to rub it to make the genie appear.

There's helping people. Then there's helping people. Only one gets positive results.

Not the one that guy chose, which may get him banned from LinkedIn.

Mason2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 30, 2016
Florida
Warning. This Story Starts with Failure.

A few weeks ago I pulled back from publishing (progress on the Inside.). It was eating days, draining funds and not really progressing. That’s not the focus of this post, so I’ll just say I scaled back to unplug and regroup.

I kind of felt it coming, but it wasn’t until @tafy asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years that I had to face a harsh reality. A publishing company isn’t in my plan. It sucks because I already dumped thousands of hours & dollars into it. But it is what it is. (It's not dead. Just not moving.)

Now What? Guess I’ll Freelance.

I’ll spare you the details, and cut to the chase. Tafy suggested writing copy to build funds so I can try again. So I headed out on my next great adventure and signed up on Odesk. No profile, no feedback, no hours billed. That was exactly 3 weeks ago.

Here’s my earnings this week.

View attachment 9213

That's around $1,000 and I've pre-sold for another $2,000ish before 1 month is over.

Wondering How? I'll Show You.

It starts with a mindset. A mindset you can read all about in @IceCreamKid 's thread here. It's funny, but I actually didn't stumble on his thread until after I started writing copy.

The mindset (for me) goes like this:

1. I will never give up, no matter how F*cking stupid I think I look every time I fail.
2. I will acknowledge my failure, learn from it, and move on.
3. I may hate the feedback others give, but I'll consider it no matter what.
4. I will strive my hardest every damn day to solve problems and create value.
5. I will learn to accept others for who they are, even when I think I hate their guts. (Still working on this one.)

How This Translates to Money on Odesk (or anywhere).

If you Google, "How long does it take to get hired on Odesk?" you'll hit pages of people whining about how it's been months and they haven't had a job.

You'll see stuff like this:

- "Why won't anyone hire me?"
- "I have all the skills the job asks for, wtf?"
- "I've done this for 20 years, have a Masters degree, but clients won't even reply..."
- "I've filled out my profile, taken tons of tests, and sent out 50 applications. Nothing."
- "I've listed every skill under the sun. I can do them all. Why can't I get work?"

The thing is, all the skills and experience in the world don't matter if the client reads me me me me me me.

My guess is 99% of freelancers send me focused applications. So, for those who send a you focused application the opportunities are limitless.

How to Send a You Focused Application when You don't Know Anything About the Client.

This part is super easy, but you can't be lazy. All you have to do is read their job listing. Everything you need to know is right there on the screen. Look for the company name. If it's there, look them up. Find out what they do. Find out who their customer is. Don't just solve the company's problem. Solve the company's customer's problems.

Show how your skills (AKA product features) benefit them first.

Example: (client wants a new web site to increase traffic.)

Bad = "I have 10 years experience designing webpages. I have a Masters degree in web design. Hire me."

Good = "Sounds like you need a design that increases site traffic. Cool, I can build an eye-popping site that makes customer navigation simple, and increases traffic 50% guaranteed. Oh, and I have 10 years of experience and a Masters to back it up.

Clients don't care about your degree, and they don't care about your experience. They care about what they care about, and if you don't show em' you care about the same, then you're not getting shit.

It's Not a Trick. It's a Lifestyle.

Focus on their problems. Focus on giving. Focus on solving. Forget about money. When they say "give first and money follows" they actually mean that shit. I know it seems hard to believe, but I swear to god it's true.

I get it... Freelance and jobs aren't exactly Fastlane, and I'm not rich either. But I'm willing to bet everything on the fact this same lesson applies no matter what business you're in. If you need money to start your real business, or if you're just starting out, or even if you've been grinding for a long time...check your focus.

It's changing everything for me.

I bet it will for you too.
Great post, as well as replies! Defintely gave me another outlook. Thank you sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
@The Grind did some video sales letter copy for a sales funnel client of mine. (~$300 job, likely about $30/hr after all is said and done)

He did a solid job. I sent the copy to the client. He really loved it and is going to be using it for his video.

That video is going to be sent to hundreds of thousands of real estate agents in the US.

As a general note: Pay attention to your grammar and sentence flow, folks. You NEED to EDIT for grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes, awkward sentence flow, all of that.

Read your copy out loud, as well.

Side note: always demand 50% up front from clients if it's not hourly. If a client says no, tell them to F*ck right on off and to stop wasting your time. Applicable to any job over $100.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
All of this really comes down to 2 things everyone...

Laziness and Belief

People aren't millionaires because they don't actually think they can become one... but that's another conversation.

I just closed a 2k deal on Upwork. In fact I'm an idiot because I should have asked for 4k, and I would have gotten it. But the next job I do for him will be 4k in a week after I kick a$$ for him.

Now, you can spend 6 months getting 50 dollar jobs on upwork just to make 2k.

Stop applying for garbage jobs for garbage clients there.

Find the good ones, use the filter.

Now, I closed a good deal with an awesome client, and guess what. I still SUCK at this. I'm a terrible writer, my proposals suck.

I'm applying to as many jobs as I should and I'm not taking anywhere near enough time to write the proposals.

I'm unable to connect with people. Which is the most important thing.

And I STILL got a deal like this.

Don't be lazy, and believe you can make some REAL money in this world.

Realize the fact that complete idiots are crushing it financially, all because they believe they can do it and they put in the work.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Thiago Machado did some work for me recently. Very professional approach and I was quite pleased with the result. Was a difficult job too (highly specialized niche). Thanks!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
First of all...

I was looking for this thread today in order to share a story with you guys and stumbled upon this link.

This guy has completely copied your first post @SinisterLex -

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-make-1000-week-degree-feedback-portfolio-charles-j-phua

You know you're doing something right when people are copying you. Good job! :)

@RHL

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/members/charles-j-phua.36295/

INSIDERS. smh

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
All of this really comes down to 2 things everyone...

Laziness and Belief

People aren't millionaires because they don't actually think they can become one... but that's another conversation.

I just closed a 2k deal on Upwork. In fact I'm an idiot because I should have asked for 4k, and I would have gotten it. But the next job I do for him will be 4k in a week after I kick a$$ for him.

Now, you can spend 6 months getting 50 dollar jobs on upwork just to make 2k.

Stop applying for garbage jobs for garbage clients there.

Find the good ones, use the filter.

Now, I closed a good deal with an awesome client, and guess what. I still SUCK at this. I'm a terrible writer, my proposals suck.

I'm applying to as many jobs as I should and I'm not taking anywhere near enough time to write the proposals.

I'm unable to connect with people. Which is the most important thing.

And I STILL got a deal like this.

Don't be lazy, and believe you can make some REAL money in this world.

Realize the fact that complete idiots are crushing it financially, all because they believe they can do it and they put in the work.

That's awesome man.

What jobs are you doing on Upwork?

I'm in a bad need for adverticing cash for my business I really need to start this.

I've been studying copywriting a lot and I've done many sales videos in the past and have a decent understanding of effective copywriting. Could I get decent money on upwork?

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Just throwing this out there...

If anyone needs any work done, marketing related, or copy, let me know.

I just started an agency on Upwork and need to gain some good reviews quickly and improve my success %.

In return, I'll do the work for a fraction of what I usually charge. Thanks.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Just throwing this out there...

If anyone needs any work done, marketing related, or copy, let me know.

I just started an agency on Upwork and need to gain some good reviews quickly and improve my success %.

In return, I'll do the work for a fraction of what I usually charge. Thanks.

Send me a link to your profile and I will check it out...

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Decided to take action.

Created a profile and applied for 5 copywriting jobs.

Excited to see where this goes :)

Hoping to get to 1k per month soon.

MaxV

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jun 24, 2016
I've only been on this forum for a couple of days and it already amazes me alot.
The possibilities are endeless.

At first i was absolutely clueless about what kind of services i can provide to people. But the funny thing is that it was in front of me the whole time.
For hobby i've been producing music and creating sound for about 8/9 years now. The first couple of years was alot of fooling around but as time progressed so did the seriousness of this hobby.

Creating sfx and sound for (electric orientated) music is one thing. But creating music and sounds for games is something which is somewhat diffrent and new to me.

I've already seen that alot of people provide services like this on Upwork. But that's okay. I have to start somewhere with it and i have nothing to lose while giving this a shot.

But i have to be honest i do feel some feelings of fear with this because i have absolutely no idea how something like this will turn out.
there's only one way to find out ofcourse!

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
https://www.upwork.com/jobs/_~018b8f72fff76031f8/

We are searching a person who will be able to identify and develop products for our online shops across Europe from point A to point B, which includes following tasks and steps:

1. Find a product that will solve some problem (varios sites)
2. Identification of target group for the product
3. Short sales plan with target group, numbers, etc.
4. Making the brand of the product
5. Prepare a landing page and sales copy, copywriting (sample: http://demo.web3canvas.com/themeforest/proland/index_buy_paypal.html)
6. Ads and SEO
7. Reporting and scaling
8. Repeating :)

TASKS:

- Product sales oriented, single product landing page wireframe design, including the writing of image and text elements of the page, highlighted the benefits of the product identification, call-to-action formulation

- The preparation of the necessary graphic elements (product photos, hero, preparation of icons)

-The landing page compilation (WordPress install, selection, installation and customization, uploading content topic)

REQUIREMENTS:

The work is essential to carry out a basic online marketing mindset and sense of beauty. In addition to the basic conditions necessary tools (WordPress, Photoshop) knowledge.

- Experience in online marketing or webshops
- Good knowledge of Wordpress
- Knowledge of Photoshop proper level
- taking into account aspects of SEO
- creative problem-solving skills (Google is your friend)
- Responsive design (or topic of choice)
- Modern, current trends and standards of minimalist design application
- Multi-lingual design (or topic of choice)

This guy is a genius.

Anyone else would like to outsource their fastlane on Upwork?

Why the fk am I doing copywriting... screw this shit.

Importing? Learning to do it? LOL.... Process? Wtf is that? YOLO, send it to Bangladesh or New Delhi and live the life you deserve to live.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Hi Lex, I've sent a cover letter to 14 job postings and haven't yet got any replies.

I've been very ''you'' focused on the letter like you said and kept it relatively short.

Could it be that I don't have any reviews? What do you think is holding me back?

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Hi Lex, I've sent a cover letter to 14 job postings and haven't yet got any replies.

I've been very ''you'' focused on the letter like you said and kept it relatively short.

Could it be that I don't have any reviews? What do you think is holding me back?

I've sent over 30, and got only one and even it was not really copywriting...

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Well something's not right..

Absolutely, I decided to pause and go back to studying. Seems like my selling skills are nothing than complete shit at this point, can't even imagine how I was going to help others :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.