The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Alright, went back for some more work. It's addictive when you get feedbacks like this.

It isn't as hard as it sounds to be awesome. Most freelancers don't give a shit. Not only about the application, but about the jobs or the clients.
They want to get paid quick then F*ck off.
They view their clients as temporary employers.

But they really are your friends and business partners.
So get them involved, talk shop, make extra suggestions even if it's not your job.

It won't only affect your clients' opinions in a positive way...
It's actually great for you.

You're reading all this marketing and business stuff anyway. You have some insight. Even though not first-hand experience,
it's still much more than the average Internet entrepreneur reads or knows about.

So if you remember something relevant your clients could use, or just see a good ad in the niche on Fb when you're browsing...
let them know. They will appreciate it.

I get feedback like this not because I'm some special snowflake. Hell, sometimes I doubt I'm any good.
But my attitude gets me results.

And unlike a pro level skill, an attitude is easy and quick to develop.

This is how it's done!

This also leads me to rant about the phrase 'provide value'... and about using this phrase to help newbs. (Even though I do it myself)

'Provide value' is intangible and unspecific.

So since it's intangible and unspecific, it gives noobs the space to project their 'take take take' mindset onto the term.

And so 'give value' becomes 'mindfuck people with copywriting tricks and magic shortcuts to get them to hire you.'

No. No. No.

LOOK AT WHAT DAVID DID.

Providing value = Solving your client's problems.

Here just a few problems your client is having (and the ways in which David solved them):

- The Client doesn't know if you can do the job = DAVID PROVED HIS ABILITY TO WRITE A SALES LETTER...BY WRITING A MUHFUCKIN' SALES LETTER! HE PROVED HIS ABILITY TO DO THE JOB... BY PRETTY MUCH DOING THE JOB IN THE APPLICATION.

- The client might not fully understand their own needs = DAVID WENT BEYOND WRITING THE COPY, HE ASKED ABOUT THE BUSINESS MODEL, HOW CUSTOMERS ARE ACQUIRED, AND BETTER WAYS TO GO ABOUT IT. HE PROVED HIS UNDERSTANDING.

- Uncertain if you're reliable = DAVID MADE HIMSELF AVAILABLE SEVERAL TIMES IN THE DAY. HE ALSO PUT TIME AND EFFORT INTO HIS APPLICATION. HE PROVED HIS COMMITMENT AND RELIABILITY.

If you're just starting out and feel completely lost... remove your client's doubts in just the following 3 areas:

1) Can(s)he understand what I need/why I even need it? (Aim to understand this better than they can)
2) Can (s)he do the job?
3) Can (s)he be reliable?

And remember. You can't just tell them. You have to prove it to them. You have to remove their doubts.

If you have no track record:

1) Prove your understanding of their needs by reading deep into their request and asking questions
2) ****Prove your ability to do the job by doing a mock/sample of the job*****
3) Prove your reliability by giving your client several options to connect with you/offering a guarantee etc etc.

****LYFEHACK**** I've found that clients value my mocks/samples/work a LOT MORE when I explain my work to them. For example, I'll tell them why I made the first sentence very short. Then explain why I used a specific word and the effect it'll have on the customer. Most clients don't understand how much thought goes into copy.

So SHOW THEM that you're not just writing random shit... and you'll REMOVE THEIR DOUBT in your ability even more.

Because now you've given them:

- The work
- And the reason why the work is good (hopefully)

/Rant

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is how it's done!

This also leads me to rant about the phrase 'provide value'... and about using this phrase to help newbs. (Even though I do it myself)

'Provide value' is intangible and unspecific.

So since it's intangible and unspecific, it gives noobs the space to project their 'take take take' mindset onto the term.

And so 'give value' becomes 'mindfuck people with copywriting tricks and magic shortcuts to get them to hire you.'

No. No. No.

LOOK AT WHAT DAVID DID.

Providing value = Solving your client's problems.

Here just a few problems your client is having (and the ways in which David solved them):

- The Client doesn't know if you can do the job = DAVID PROVED HIS ABILITY TO WRITE A SALES LETTER...BY WRITING A MUHFUCKIN' SALES LETTER! HE PROVED HIS ABILITY TO DO THE JOB... BY PRETTY MUCH DOING THE JOB IN THE APPLICATION.

- The client might not fully understand their own needs = DAVID WENT BEYOND WRITING THE COPY, HE ASKED ABOUT THE BUSINESS MODEL, HOW CUSTOMERS ARE ACQUIRED, AND BETTER WAYS TO GO ABOUT IT. HE PROVED HIS UNDERSTANDING.

- Uncertain if you're reliable = DAVID MADE HIMSELF AVAILABLE SEVERAL TIMES IN THE DAY. HE ALSO PUT TIME AND EFFORT INTO HIS APPLICATION. HE PROVED HIS COMMITMENT AND RELIABILITY.

If you're just starting out and feel completely lost... remove your client's doubts in just the following 3 areas:

1) Can(s)he understand what I need/why I even need it? (Aim to understand this better than they can)
2) Can (s)he do the job?
3) Can (s)he be reliable?

And remember. You can't just tell them. You have to prove it to them. You have to remove their doubts.

If you have no track record:

1) Prove your understanding of their needs by reading deep into their request and asking questions
2) ****Prove your ability to do the job by doing a mock/sample of the job*****
3) Prove your reliability by giving your client several options to connect with you/offering a guarantee etc etc.

****LYFEHACK**** I've found that clients value my mocks/samples/work a LOT MORE when I explain my work to them. For example, I'll tell them why I made the first sentence very short. Then explain why I used a specific word and the effect it'll have on the customer. Most clients don't understand how much thought goes into copy.

So SHOW THEM that you're not just writing random shit... and you'll REMOVE THEIR DOUBT in your ability even more.

Because now you've given them:

- The work
- And the reason why the work is good (hopefully)

/Rant

This pretty much goes for any exchange between people.

Clients, customers, relationships etc. if this isn't who you are...how you live...then you've missed it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'll reiterate this important point again: it's not about doing a job. It's about solving a problem and making things easy. If you are not dedicated to solving problems and fulfilling needs, you will not succeed doing this. If you're not dedicated to solving problems and fulfilling needs, get a regular job. You're not cut out for self employment of any kind.

Clients are people who have problems that need to be solved. Once it's solved, they feel relieved. This feeling isn't something you should just SELL, but it's something you should OFFER.

It's also why I recommend moving out of simply doing copywriting and instead using the skills OF copywriting to do other things that elicit this feeling. The harder the problem, the more you'll get paid.

If you're not making your client's life easier, then you're doing something wrong.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Heres the hard part.

Articulating your THOUGHTS INTO WORDS on the screen, clearly and effectively.

That's specifically why I asked Lex how he got so good at writing.

Provide value, help people, yes yes good good.

But getting good at the actual articulation of your thoughts on paper is difficult. Read his words, you INSTANTLY FEEL that this guy knows his shit, period. Very good writer, makes you trust him immediately. Then read someone elses words, it's completely different.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Heres the hard part.

Articulating your THOUGHTS INTO WORDS on the screen, clearly and effectively.

That's specifically why I asked Lex how he got so good at writing.

Provide value, help people, yes yes good good.

But getting good at the actual articulation of your thoughts on paper is difficult. Read his words, you INSTANTLY FEEL that this guy knows his shit, period. Very good writer, makes you trust him immediately. Then read someone elses words, it's completely different.

The only thing that will help you is to practice writing. Writing, like speaking, is a skill that must be learned by doing.

Write stories. Write letters. Write poems. Write character descriptions.

Write something new every day. Read books about writing and storytelling. Become more aware of how you communicate, both in the written form and the spoken word.

Ask yourself, "what are the ideas that I want to communicate?" Then write those ideas, in their raw form, as your brain forms them into usable language: words.

From there, look at those ideas and think about constructing sentences that convey these ideas. Those sentences make your ideas come alive, like breathing life into a stone doll.

You may study the science of the English language, if you feel that it helps you communicate your ideas. Study how the active voice and passive voice differ from each other. Study how words set the tone for what the reader is about to experience. Study what makes certain descriptions convincing and what makes others not, despite the fact that the writer may intend to convey the exact same idea.

But you only get better by doing. That's why we stress the 'value providing' stuff: because your mindset literally rewires the way you communicate, even without having to read any books on how to speak or write.

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
I can't believe this thread - since I posted a few days ago there has been more molten gold flowing all over the place!

A quick note on my experience so far (and samples):

I offered to do a job 'on spec' because I didn't have a suitable sample. Best case: I get the job. Worst case: the client takes the work without payment and I now have a portfolio piece for the next one. (I got the job)

I know the above is not advised and I could have produced another non-specific sample but the client 'looked' good (good feedback) and I wanted to get the first job done. The alternative would have been creating a sample piece for my portfolio, then working on another once I got the work.I took a chance, proved that I could produce what they needed, and it paid off far better than I expected.

Another potential client asked me for three free sample pieces. They were also 'interviewing' 16 others. No chance.

I have applied for 12 jobs and completed 3 in my first week. It's not going to change the world (yet) but I'm really pleased with this as a start!

I also read this about producing on-target samples (already shared in this thread? I can't remember where I got the link) https://freelancetowin.com/how-to-become-a-copywriter/ I have not tried it yet but it looks like a great technique for writers.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
The only thing that will help you is to practice writing. Writing, like speaking, is a skill that must be learned by doing.

Write stories. Write letters. Write poems. Write character descriptions.

Write something new every day. Read books about writing and storytelling. Become more aware of how you communicate, both in the written form and the spoken word.

Ask yourself, "what are the ideas that I want to communicate?" Then write those ideas, in their raw form, as your brain forms them into usable language: words.

From there, look at those ideas and think about constructing sentences that convey these ideas. Those sentences make your ideas come alive, like breathing life into a stone doll.

You may study the science of the English language, if you feel that it helps you communicate your ideas. Study how the active voice and passive voice differ from each other. Study how words set the tone for what the reader is about to experience. Study what makes certain descriptions convincing and what makes others not, despite the fact that the writer may intend to convey the exact same idea.

But you only get better by doing. That's why we stress the 'value providing' stuff: because your mindset literally rewires the way you communicate, even without having to read any books on how to speak or write.
Lex says he has never copied a sales letter. He never practices writing copy.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

What works for Lex won't work for everyone. What works for me won't work for everyone. What works for you won't work for everyone.

Maybe he's had practice that you don't have (he mentioned starting a publishing company, he's likely been writing for a while and knows other people who write). Or maybe he's got an intuition that you need to develop yourself. Either way, it helps to write: even if it's not copy.

You said you have trouble communicating your ideas. That means you need to get better at writing. Therefore, you need (1) to write more and (2) get feedback on your writing so you can grow.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
What works for Lex won't work for everyone. What works for me won't work for everyone. What works for you won't work for everyone.

Maybe he's had practice that you don't have (he mentioned starting a publishing company, he's likely been writing for a while and knows other people who write). Or maybe he's got an intuition that you need to develop yourself. Either way, it helps to write: even if it's not copy.

You said you have trouble communicating your ideas. That means you need to get better at writing. Therefore, you need (1) to write more and (2) get feedback on your writing so you can grow.
Yeah I hear you... Makes sense. It would be beneficial for me to write everyday.

I just want his writing, any super successful smart person on this forum has incredible writing.

P.S. I believe ALL of this gets broken down into what the most badass business man ( arguably ) on this forum said..

"The moment I stopped caring about money, I started to make some" - Jack Edwards

P.P.S Not word for word but you get the point, everything is broken down into not caring about yourself at all and focus 100% on providing value to whoever your trying to get something from.

P.P.P.S ( can you do a tipple P.S.? ) People read P.S.'s Use them in your copy.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Technically I write copy every day, pretty much all day long. I also write forum posts, and ebooks, and college papers, and short stories, and applications etc.

It's a combo of self-study, and practice, and finally understanding other people.

The understanding people part took a long time. If you read my older posts you'll see I've practiced influence & persuasion and NLP and all that stuff for a long, long time. But, I only really connected with people when I started the publishing company and focused on helping others get paid to learn to write.

When I focused all my energy on finding ways to help people publish books even when they've never written in their lives, then it got a lot more clear how powerful helping others can be. All of a sudden people were sending books, and asking for help, and taking my courses.

This was the final piece of the puzzle. The piece I was missing the whole time. It's funny because it was always right in front of me... yet until you make the connection it might as well be a million miles away.

All the influence and copywriting techniques, all the persuasion, and psychology --- it only really works when it's used to empower others. There's a reason self-help gurus say they "empower" people. It's because empowering is influencing.

Empowering happens when we lift people up. When we solve their problems. When we see from their perspective and take time to understand what it's like to walk a mile in their shoes. If you get this, then you get how to connect with other people.

Getting to this is where you're almost at, but there's still something missing. The secret ingredient.

That ingredient is empathy.

Empathy happens when we feel other people's pains and successes as if they were our own.

It's what we feel for a co-worker whose dog died.

It's what we feel when Paul Walker parts ways on his last ride.

It's what we feel when planes are flown into buildings or when our brothers fight to protect us.

It's what we feel when our sister marries the right guy.

It's what we feel when we read a client's job post that's a perfect match for us and we don't need techniques because we already know exactly what to say to help out.

It's what we feel when we meet someone who's not as far along the path as us. Who's where we use to be, and maybe all they need is a little help. All they need are those words of encouragement, and we're the right person to do that because we know exactly what they need to hear.

And we say those words. We say them because we feel for that person. We know exactly what he's experiencing and we know how much it sucks. But we also know how infinitely amazing it is when he finally gets it and breaks through to the other side.

Learning to write well comes with practice. This part is true.

Learning empathy only comes from a place of deep understanding.

Empathy is feeling. It's not something that can be taught. But, it can be learned.

So, even if you don't know how to feel other people's pain, and even if you don't exactly know how to connect with other people and understand their problems. Just fake it for now. Fake it until you get it.

Fake it and keep asking questions. Ask your client questions to help you understand their problems. Ask your clients questions to help you figure out what their customers need. Ask yourself what would stop you from buying their product, and what would make you drop everything and buy it right now.

Put yourself in your customer's and client's shoes as best you can, and eventually it'll click.

Keep training. Keep writing. Keep practicing and expanding and eventually it'll click.

Eventually your empathy switch flips on and suddenly you don't have to think about how to bring your words to life. Suddenly they flow from your fingertips like water from a fountain.

When you breath life into your words from a place of raw emotion and deep connection... then words spill out, filled with energy, spirit, and empowering connection.

And it all starts when we just help others in whatever way we can. It starts here because where attention goes energy flows and the more energy we put into something the more we connect with it.

When we focus on helping others, even if we don't fully understand it, then we can connect and make it real.

Your writing is improving. Your techniques are getting better. Just keep doing what you're doing. The signs are all right there in your posts. Just keep going and keep doing your best to figure out their problems. Eventually it's gonna click. You're gonna have all 3 parts - the mindset, the techniques, and the experience, and when it happens you'll laugh at yourself for getting so wrapped up in the technicalities of copywriting.

Oh, and here's a book that helped me learn to write awesome short stories fast:

The Cheater's Guide to Erotic Romance Writing

Just do it.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Technically I write copy every day, pretty much all day long. I also write forum posts, and ebooks, and college papers, and short stories, and applications etc.

It's a combo of self-study, and practice, and finally understanding other people.

The understanding people part took a long time. If you read my older posts you'll see I've practiced influence & persuasion and NLP and all that stuff for a long, long time. But, I only really connected with people when I started the publishing company and focused on helping others get paid to learn to write.

When I focused all my energy on finding ways to help people publish books even when they've never written in their lives, then it got a lot more clear how powerful helping others can be. All of a sudden people were sending books, and asking for help, and taking my courses.

This was the final piece of the puzzle. The piece I was missing the whole time. It's funny because it was always right in front of me... yet until you make the connection it might as well be a million miles away.

All the influence and copywriting techniques, all the persuasion, and psychology --- it only really works when it's used to empower others. There's a reason self-help gurus say they "empower" people. It's because empowering is influencing.

Empowering happens when we lift people up. When we solve their problems. When we see from their perspective and take time to understand what it's like to walk a mile in their shoes. If you get this, then you get how to connect with other people.

Getting to this is where you're almost at, but there's still something missing. The secret ingredient.

That ingredient is empathy.

Empathy happens when we feel other people's pains and successes as if they were our own.

It's what we feel for a co-worker whose dog died.

It's what we feel when Paul Walker parts ways on his last ride.

It's what we feel when planes are flown into buildings or when our brothers fight to protect us.

It's what we feel when our sister marries the right guy.

It's what we feel when we read a client's job post that's a perfect match for us and we don't need techniques because we already know exactly what to say to help out.

It's what we feel when we meet someone who's not as far along the path as us. Who's where we use to be, and maybe all they need is a little help. All they need are those words of encouragement, and we're the right person to do that because we know exactly what they need to hear.

And we say those words. We say them because we feel for that person. We know exactly what he's experiencing and we know how much it sucks. But we also know how infinitely amazing it is when he finally gets it and breaks through to the other side.

Learning to write well comes with practice. This part is true.

Learning empathy only comes from a place of deep understanding.

Empathy is feeling. It's not something that can be taught. But, it can be learned.

So, even if you don't know how to feel other people's pain, and even if you don't exactly know how to connect with other people and understand their problems. Just fake it for now. Fake it until you get it.

Fake it and keep asking questions. Ask your client questions to help you understand their problems. Ask your clients questions to help you figure out what their customers need. Ask yourself what would stop you from buying their product, and what would make you drop everything and buy it right now.

Put yourself in your customer's and client's shoes as best you can, and eventually it'll click.

Keep training. Keep writing. Keep practicing and expanding and eventually it'll click.

Eventually your empathy switch flips on and suddenly you don't have to think about how to bring your words to life. Suddenly they flow from your fingertips like water from a fountain.

When you breath life into your words from a place of raw emotion and deep connection... then words spill out, filled with energy, spirit, and empowering connection.

And it all starts when we just help others in whatever way we can. It starts here because where attention goes energy flows and the more energy we put into something the more we connect with it.

When we focus on helping others, even if we don't fully understand it, then we can connect and make it real.

Your writing is improving. Your techniques are getting better. Just keep doing what you're doing. The signs are all right there in your posts. Just keep going and keep doing your best to figure out their problems. Eventually it's gonna click. You're gonna have all 3 parts - the mindset, the techniques, and the experience, and when it happens you'll laugh at yourself for getting so wrapped up in the technicalities of copywriting.

Oh, and here's a book that helped me learn to write awesome short stories fast:

The Cheater's Guide to Erotic Romance Writing

Just do it.
"The most profitable business skill there is. Is Proactive Empathy". -Eben Pegan

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@SinisterLex .... bravo ! That was deep.

I recently went through some health issues. My specialist was at the Beaumont Cancer Center. I'm good...the experience was life changing. I spoke with cancer patients. I watched them and their loved ones as they received their treatments. I watched how caringly the staff took care of everyone. The whole experience raised my empathy to a height I've never experienced.

I applied to be a volunteer. I didn't care what I was chosen for as long as I could interact directly with the patients. I had a phone interview and was told to expect a call back soon. I was asked to be a Spiritual Advisor. I can't wait.

RockyP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Oct 25, 2015
@SinisterLex

It’s amazing how stumbling across one post on Google can completely change the course of your life.

Back in March, while working valet and parking cars, I came across this thread that inspired me to take action.

I followed the advice in this thread to the letter, made a profile and started applying to jobs. Being American really is a huge advantage.

I landed my first job within 2 days. I’m 21 years old and to be totally honest I quit my valet job the day I got my first gig. Since March I’ve worked exclusively on Upwork and have been able to make just enough money to cover my expenses and live.

Proof: http://www.evernote.com/l/AodX31qlSgFL-owd0LoL628Uhh_EZsC-bH4/

I know it's not a lot. I made like a thousand through Paypal as well. It should be 60k for 6 months, not 7k.

I actually just read the book (the millionaire fast-lane) for the fist time yesterday and am now wondering how to transition into a Fastlane system.

What have been your plans to transition to a Fastlane system over the last few months?

I've been doing this for almost 7 months now but I haven't been building any other Value Asset. After reading the book... FINALLY... I realize I need to change this...

Thank you so much for starting this thread and changing the course of my life. We may never meet but you've affected me positively in a way you can't imagine. :notworthy:

If you don't post this thread.
I don't gain experience freelancing.
I never read the book.
I never become obsessed with helping solve other peoples problems.
I never become rich.

When I become rich now you will be a direct cause of it @SinisterLex

Thank you again. :tiphat:

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
the job posting :

Hi,

Need someone that has excellent english spelling and grammar skills to write or rewrite some sales copy for me.

Here's a samples:
http://teethwhitening4you.com/

Each sales copy should be around 1,500 - 2,500 words, I will let you know the format and show you samples as well.

Need someone that can write sales letters fast, should not take more than 1 day for each copy, better if it's 2 a day.

Please submit the bid you will accept for each sales letter.

PS. Many jobs available.

Thanks

This is my cover letter.

How to hire a top corywriter who can write fast without affecting the quality.

Can you write 2000 words per day and still write quality content?

You are thinking about hiring a freelancer who can deliver this:

1. Good copy
2. Fast and on time.
3. Good communication.

No one can work 24 hours a day. But a freelancer should be flexible. Prepared to rapid changes.
The freelancer you are going to hire need to have close commnucation with you. Ask questions regarding the project. Listen to your desires and demands.
But also contribute not only with good copy but also add his personal touch to it.

So what can i do for you?

1. Daily updates.

I know the project is supposed to be delivered in one day. You dont want to be left out in the dark. Will update you on the progress as the work goes on.

2. Research.

Without good research it's very hard to deliver good copy.

3. Satisfaction.

My job is to deliver what you payed for. And my job is not finished until you are satisfied.

So without further ado im going to ask you to hire me.

P.S Im confident that i can delivery. Im confident i can get the job done.
If you have further questions, please contact me.

Thanks for your time!
Tack för din tid!

Hussein Al-Asadi

Here is one of my first cover letters. did not get the job.

Any opinions is good :)

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
You come across as energetic and eager! You show them that there are problems to be solved and how you will solve them (you might be more specific about your solutions - eg. 'I will update you as I finish each section of the job'). I don't want to comment any more on the style as there are wiser people than me here - I don't yet know if I am 'selling' myself effectively so can't really comment on others!

If that is the actual letter you sent then you need to check it for typos (there's one in the heading).

Capitalise I (it's always 'I', not 'i'). "Im confident that i can delivery." should be "I'm confident that I can deliver." There are a couple of things which suggest that English is not your first language? But you used deliver correctly above this - "to deliver good copy" - so maybe it was a typo?

Proofread. If your cover letter contains errors then how will the client know that the work you deliver for them will be error free? I know this is easy to do - I sent a late night application last week and when I checked the next day I spotted two silly typos. Completely my fault but unforgivable when I was promising great things! I withdrew the application and resubmitted it as it looked like the client hadn't been on Upwork overnight, but if they had seen it then I might have lost a potential client for life - lesson learned.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Last edited:

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
You come across as energetic and eager! You show them that there are problems to be solved and how you will solve them (you might be more specific about your solutions - eg. 'I will update you as I finish each section of the job'). I don't want to comment any more on the style as there are wiser people than me here - I don't yet know if I am 'selling' myself effectively so can't really comment on others!

If that is the actual letter you sent then you need to check it for typos (there's one in the heading).

Capitalise I (it's always 'I', not 'i'). "Im confident that i can delivery." should be "I'm confident that I can deliver." There are a couple of things which suggest that English is not your first language? But you used deliver correctly above this - "to deliver good copy" - so maybe it was a typo?

Proofread. If your cover letter contains errors then how will the client know that the work you deliver for them will be error free? I know this is easy to do - I sent a late night application last week and when I checked the next day I spotted two silly typos. Completely my fault but unforgivable when I was promising great things! I withdrew the application and resubmitted it as it looked like the client hadn't been on Upwork overnight, but if they had seen it then I might have lost a potential client for life - lesson learned.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Simple mistakes from my side. Not ok.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Anybody who tells me to write good copy of that length in a single day needs:

1) To be explained how good copy works.
2) To find a different freelancer.

But that's an aside.

@mosdef If I get more time today, We'll nitpick and improve on it. PM me so that I remember.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Do you guys apply to clients with 0 hires?

Im doing like this now: If the client has many jobs posts but 0 hires. I dont bother applying for the job.
If this is their first gig. I apply.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
This hasnt been mentioned yet, so here it is.

I've gotten a few jobs all at once within the past couple weeks.

80% of the results in 20% of the span I've been on upwork.

On Upwork. YOU are your own personal ad agency...

...and yes...you do feel like your in an episode of mad men sometimes, which is cool.

You learn quickly whats going on in the business of the person who hires you.

Anyway, the issue: Making the clients happy, NOT necessarily giving them what WOULD convert the most, aka getting their business the most results.

Any ad agency, is constantly borderline arguing with their clients about "what works best, why don't we do this?" etc.

Lex, how do you do deal with this, how are you not constantly arguing with clients and potential clients about what they need and WHY you are doing what you are doing for them?

I know, educating the client on why you are doing something and why it would work better than another way, is important, but that only goes so far.

You cant spend 20 hours going back and forth with a client on why they need 3 emails written instead of just one before you even get the first milestone.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This hasnt been mentioned yet, so here it is.

I've gotten a few jobs all at once within the past couple weeks.

80% of the results in 20% of the span I've been on upwork.

On Upwork. YOU are your own personal ad agency...

...and yes...you do feel like your in an episode of mad men sometimes, which is cool.

You learn quickly whats going on in the business of the person who hires you.

Anyway, the issue: Making the clients happy, NOT necessarily giving them what WOULD convert the most, aka getting their business the most results.

Any ad agency, is constantly borderline arguing with their clients about "what works best, why don't we do this?" etc.

Lex, how do you do deal with this, how are you not constantly arguing with clients and potential clients about what they need and WHY you are doing what you are doing for them?

I know, educating the client on why you are doing something and why it would work better than another way, is important, but that only goes so far.

You cant spend 20 hours going back and forth with a client on why they need 3 emails written instead of just one before you even get the first milestone.

Hey bro,

Was gonna reply sooner, but I'm trying to get better at making useful videos for people, so...

:)

Thought I'd reply in video form to see how it goes.

I'm making more copywriting / influence & persuasion / NLP videos etc. so if anyone cares to tag along, feel free to subscribe...just more free useful info, beyond what I have time to post here.

Here's the link to my channel if you want it.

SpurredOn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 27, 2015
This is one of the most inspiring threads/forums I have even stumbled across.

Needless to say - I have signed up for UpWork, completed my profile, and will be reporting back!

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Hey bro,

Was gonna reply sooner, but I'm trying to get better at making useful videos for people, so...

I'm making more copywriting / influence & persuasion / NLP videos etc. so if anyone cares to tag along, feel free to subscribe...just more free useful info, beyond what I have time to post here.

following

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
I completed my first jobs for two different clients over the weekend. Both immediately offered me more work and both have increased the fee substantially! I also upped my hourly rate a little now that I have a couple of jobs to show.

It's weird but I almost feel that my hourly rate looks 'too cheap' for a few of the jobs I have applied for - the job descriptions indicated that they were expecting to pay more than I could justify charging at my current rate (unless I was a reeeeally slow worker). I don't have the confidence to bid high yet but once I have a more solid looking job history then I will be aiming for the top. I know that something similar was discussed early on this thread. I'm going to have to read the whole thing again - and take notes this time.

I have one question for more experienced Upworkers - how do you approach portfolio building? Do you create seperate work for your portfolio, create samples of relevant work as you apply for jobs or use 'sold' work? If the latter then how do you approach the clients about this (assuming you do)?

Thanks for the ongoing great tips - hopefully I will have a few of my own to share very soon!

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
@SinisterLex Watched some of your videos. I've read before that you don't like speaking in front of people and how you were introvert in the past.

You are a brave human being and you are doing a great job. Continue sir.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex Watched some of your videos. I've read before that you don't like speaking in front of people and how you were introvert in the past.

You are a brave human being and you are doing a great job. Continue sir.

Not just in the past ;)

The primary complication with introversion pops up in social interactions. It's more about the time needed to recharge between each engagement. So when I said introversion was the complicated part, I think that may have been a bit misleading.

The real complication is being an internally oriented person. I'm a head-type through and through and everything I do comes from the head first. All of my decisions and all of my actions require deep thought and analysis. Even something as simple as speaking on camera becomes incredibly challenging since there's so much internal chatter.

Basically all the stuff inside my head tries to come out verbally, and this makes videos challenging.

It's also a big part of why I'm good at copy. With writing I put it all out there, then there's time to go back and analyze it and refine it, and refine it some more before it ever goes into the world.

Anyway, don't wanna get too far off track - this is more of a psychology / personality topic, and I plan to get into that at a later time.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Hey bro,

Subscribed. But hey, the sound only comes from the left speakers when watching your video.
Checked it and it's normal on different vids. Otherwise, great videos though. Thanks for doing this.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Subscribed. But hey, the sound only comes from the left speakers when watching your video.
Checked it and it's normal on different vids. Otherwise, great videos though. Thanks for doing this.

Interesting, I'll check it in YouTube and see if there's some strange setting. On my computer it plays sound in both speakers through YouTube, but if there's one thing running websites has taught me it's that just because something works on my end doesn't mean it's not also screwed up on my end. ;)

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Interesting, I'll check it in YouTube and see if there's some strange setting. On my computer it plays sound in both speakers through YouTube, but if there's one thing running websites has taught me it's that just because something works on my end doesn't mean it's not also screwed up on my end. ;)
I think there's some settings with mono/stereo sound or something along those lines.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
Hi guys,

I've been reading through this thread slowly over the last few weeks, along with Lex's other thread.

Slowly because after years of forum membership, I finally put taking action first and reading on here last. Anyway, I'm up to like page 22 here. Right now, I had to jump on and share my own good news though. . .

In an attempt to learn more about marketing, copy, and product creation, I signed up on Upwork about 10 days ago. My intention is to learn, get paid to learn, and use the cash to fund my own businesses and products.

This morning I sent out my 20th application in the last 10 days. I have no major experience, just some very minor stuff that I can't even reference/prove. I have no qualifications, no feedback, and no contacts. Until the beginning of this month, I didn't even know Upwork existed.

This evening I logged in to two job offers, and an interview! Not only that, but one of the job offers I bid over his budget - because I felt I could do a great job, and the budget offered wouldn't cover the time this would take. The second offer was somebody needing a quick job done by Thursday - I offered to do it by tomorrow.

You focused, and over-deliver really does work. Thank you to everybody in this thread, you've all given me inspiration and information along the way.

Now - better get to work eh! :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.