The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
@SinisterLex
Have you had any copy-writing work with restaurants? I'm going to be doing copy for a menu soon. Wondered if you had any experience.

P.S. Did I just fall into a Sinister lead magnet?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LynnT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Dec 26, 2012
Florida
Hey there @SinisterLex thanks for this thread. Sent out 4 proposals. Got 1 official contract on UpWork today.

I really was looking for a way to connect with more clients that were looking for partners for the long-term.

This first contract is for long-term work at a minimum of $1000 per month. Plus the client indicated wanting to do more once we go through the initial phase. (That to me is code word for "let's see some results" which is great because I know I can bring them.)

I can really help this new client. They're excited. I'm excited.

Prior to your thread I just didn't see Upwork/Elance as a viable place to find ideal clients. But it appears as you said there are plenty if you are willing to go the extra mile and really desire to help people.

I did a screen cast video for each proposal I applied to. It took some time but it paid off.

Of course I just started but I will continue to seek out people I can help on that platform.

I'm not new to my area of Wordpress web design and graphic design but I did have zero feedback and no hours on UpWork. I mention that fact to encourage others to get out there in any area that you can help people with and start applying.

I really want to fund some Fastlane opportunities for my business in 2016. This platform (Upwork) will be a great way to help me get there faster and help others build out their Fastlane projects along the way.

Thanks again!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey there @SinisterLex thanks for this thread. Sent out 4 proposals. Got 1 official contract on UpWork today.

I really was looking for a way to connect with more clients that were looking for partners for the long-term.

This first contract is for long-term work at a minimum of $1000 per month. Plus the client indicated wanting to do more once we go through the initial phase. (That to me is code word for "let's see some results" which is great because I know I can bring them.)

Prior to your thread I just didn't see Upwork/Elance as a viable place to find ideal clients. But it appears as you said there are plenty if you are willing to go the extra mile and really desire to help people.

I did a screen cast video for each proposal I applied to. It took some time but it paid off.

Of course I just started but I will continue to seek out people I can help on that platform.

I'm not new to my area of Wordpress web design and graphic design but I did have zero feedback and no hours on UpWork. I mention that fact to encourage others to get out there in any area that you can help people with and start applying.

I really want to fund some Fastlane opportunities for my business in 2016. This platform (Upwork) will be a great way to help me get there faster and help others build out their Fastlane projects along the way.

Thanks again!

Wow! That's really impressive! Rep+

To everyone else, this is what it's all about! When everyone starts doing the same thing, you gotta find new ways to get noticed. What are you doing to set yourself apart? She used a screencast...I've never seen any freelancer do that ever, and would be totally blown away if someone went through all that trouble just for me...

Great work LynnT. You'll do well here!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex
Have you had any copy-writing work with restaurants? I'm going to be doing copy for a menu soon. Wondered if you had any experience.

P.S. Did I just fall into a Sinister lead magnet?

I've done minimal work for restaurants. Mostly web copy / promos. Menus are pretty straightforward. What kind of menu?

You can really spice up a menu with copy, especially if you're allowed to use creative names for menu items.

Sooo much room for improvement on most menus. Plus a few simple psychological pricing techniques can make a big difference.

Things like getting rid of the $ sign and chopping off the change. Just check out what popular restaurants use on their website menu for examples.

As for the lead magnet question...what makes you think I would tell you?

:innocent: :halo:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I've done minimal work for restaurants. Mostly web copy / promos. Menus are pretty straightforward. What kind of menu?

You can really spice up a menu with copy, especially if you're allowed to use creative names for menu items.

Sooo much room for improvement on most menus. Plus a few simple psychological pricing techniques can make a big difference.

Things like getting rid of the $ sign and chopping off the change. Just check out what popular restaurants use on their website menu for examples.

As for the lead magnet question...what makes you think I would tell you?

:innocent: :halo:
Fine dining. So far I've done that. Also made numbers the same size pixel wise.

I've been reading about scan patterns with menus.

So far its been difficult to get them to change any pricing. I had more room for pricing and anchoring with the wine list.

I'll keep you updated if I find anything else.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Can i do other type of work like customer service or will it hurt my copywriting career? Like why is this copywriter doing this kind of stuff?

LynnT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Dec 26, 2012
Florida
Wow! That's really impressive! Rep+

To everyone else, this is what it's all about! When everyone starts doing the same thing, you gotta find new ways to get noticed. What are you doing to set yourself apart? She used a screencast...I've never seen any freelancer do that ever, and would be totally blown away if someone went through all that trouble just for me...

Great work LynnT. You'll do well here!

Thanks a lot for the Rep+ @SinisterLex. Much appreciated.

And you're right again. The first line of the initial reply from my client stated he was impressed by the video.

Thanks again!

RockyP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Oct 25, 2015

Thanks again!

This really is great @LynnT (just makes it harder for everyone else :p). I think you'll find that you will very quickly start receiving more invitations to interview than you will be able to handle,especially if you keep up with the screen-cast. That was my experience after about 2-3 months.

One very powerful thing I WISH I had started 7 months ago was basically doing an affiliate offer for past clients. For example, let them know that if they know any other entrepreneurs or businesses that need writing you offer a 10-30% commission on the size of any contract you land with their lead. This basically turns all of your (hopefully happy) clients into your own traveling salesmen.

Combine that with your own personal website and LLC and you should easily be able to fund your Fastlane business when it presents itself to you. I'm personally just starting to take this seriously and finally realize the true potential of being a good communicator.

Good luck

P.S. We are officially in direct competition with each other and I will win.

(Just kidding, there is plenty of business for the both of us. :happy:)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I forget how easy it is to get jobs on here if you are an American. Lol.

4 Website and SEO jobs starting. (Had to weed through all the laughable ones first. I almost gave up.)

LynnT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Dec 26, 2012
Florida
This really is great @LynnT (just makes it harder for everyone else :p). I think you'll find that you will very quickly start receiving more invitations to interview than you will be able to handle,especially if you keep up with the screen-cast. That was my experience after about 2-3 months.

One very powerful thing I WISH I had started 7 months ago was basically doing an affiliate offer for past clients. For example, let them know that if they know any other entrepreneurs or businesses that need writing you offer a 10-30% commission on the size of any contract you land with their lead. This basically turns all of your (hopefully happy) clients into your own traveling salesmen.

Combine that with your own personal website and LLC and you should easily be able to fund your Fastlane business when it presents itself to you. I'm personally just starting to take this seriously and finally realize the true potential of being a good communicator.

Good luck

P.S. We are officially in direct competition with each other and I will win.

(Just kidding, there is plenty of business for the both of us. :happy:)

Thanks @RockyP !

lol. You're right, there are plenty of opportunities for extra milers.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Most books help with the techniques and so on. Call to action, How to write a headline and so on.

Does anyone know of a book/website where you can learn to write different types of copy? Sales letter, about pages, facebook ads and the list goes on.

If anyone knows a good source where you can learn how to apply your skills do tell.

Like in cashvertising, They tell you to use Sscarcity, but how do i know where to place it? Can i start an ad with it? Do i place it in the middle?

P.S Im applying for jobs daily so im also learning to write copy there.

Last edited:

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
Most books help with the techniques and so on. Call to action, How to write a headline and so on.

Does anyone know of a book/website where you can learn to write different types of copy? Sales letter, about pages, facebook ads and the list goes on.

I've just ordered this (it might be quite UK-focused):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0462099741?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It's all Googleable but I'd like a book too - I spend too much time staring at the screen as it is. I'll be interested to see if there are any other suggestions.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
I've just ordered this (it might be quite UK-focused):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0462099741?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It's all Googleable but I'd like a book too - I spend too much time staring at the screen as it is. I'll be interested to see if there are any other suggestions.

it just sends me to the start page.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

If anyone knows a good source where you can learn how to apply your skills do tell.

P.S Im applying for jobs daily so im also learning to write copy there.
it just sends me to the start page.

I'm working on videos about things like this right now for a free YouTube video course on copywriting.

You're welcome to follow along. Since it's a course and it's in the early stages, we'll cover some other stuff like mindset too

Check the bottom link in my signature below if you want to subscribe.

Beyond that there's no real right or wrong answer about where and when to use the tactics.

The more practice you get and the more you learn to understand people, the easier it becomes to feel out where a certain technique is best used.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Newb's Guide to Copywriting: Lesson 2 - Copywriter's Mindset

If you're just getting to the thread, here's where it starts.

Or, a refresher for those who were here from the start.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
I'm working on videos about things like this right now for a free YouTube video course on copywriting.

You're welcome to follow along. Since it's a course and it's in the early stages, we'll cover some other stuff like mindset too

Check the bottom link in my signature below if you want to subscribe.

Beyond that there's no real right or wrong answer about where and when to use the tactics.

The more practice you get and the more you learn to understand people, the easier it becomes to feel out where a certain technique is best used.

Bro, started follow you since first video.:) Thanks for keep pouring value like a vulcano.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
The videos you make with you standing up with a white background, thats still with just YouCam on your computer?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Finished a short video on headlines this morning. Maybe you'll find something in it you can use or something you didn't know. Probably nothing new for seasoned vets. but this is a newb's course after all. ;)

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013
The craziest job post ever:

Budget: $250

PROJECT: Create Google Adsense Blog or website Earning $50 to $80 per day.
I'm looking for a very experience professional that is a reliable Google Adsense website creator that is able to create an Adsense site that must generate AT LEAST $50 to $80 USD per day. Please show me some proof once the work has been done that it really makes at least the amount mentioned for the project daily. If you are not capable to deliver this task, then please DO NOT BID!

You will be responsible for writing unique SEO optimized content, complete configuration of the website. Website must be developed using Wordpress ONLY with professional look and feel.

Site MUST adhere to the following:
1. Provide precise overview and detailed plan before starting the project.
2. Contain unique content with unique posts/articles for one year (1 article/week), meaning 52 articles that are not published yet - Strictly no copying from the internet, for I will check for content duplication.
3. Must be original and SEO optimized with keywords used frequently
4. SEO Marketing as required
5. Must generate $50 to $80 per day.
6. Strictly Wordpress based website
7. Any niche except adult, Pharm, violence, gambling are not acceptable sites. MUST ADHERE TO ADSENSE TOS 100%
- All copyrights will be assigned to me in writing
- Must contain related images to niche topic
- Design must be neat and optimized to attract people to click on the ads
- Welcome to add any related CB products as long as it doesn't distract from Adsense ads too much
- Unique organic traffic (no bots or traffic buy sites)
- Must Be Adsense optimized
- Have my Google Analytics plugin installed and linked to the same Google account as Adsense

I will pay the amount of bid only AFTER I see constant income in my Adsense account. I will hold the payment for 30 days until this has been confirmed. No partial payments - sorry! When conditions have been met successfully, you will be paid in full. The bidder should consider the following points:
• Tell me how you direct and increase traffic to the website.
• Show me the proof of income after 30 days of launching of website, day by day statics to be provided (Unique Visitor, Unique clicks, ad clicked, text-ads clicked)
• Show me some of your previous website/blogs that you already created (that must not be your own) and profitable .

Have to stress again website, traffic and ads clicks must be 100% within Adsense TERMS OF SERVICE. I cannot risk my Adsense account. TRAFFIC AND CLICKS MUST BE WHITE-HAT ONLY!
Only experience bidders with a proven record will be considered. No rookies please!
For Successful Completion of this project, could lead to potential and regularly fulltime projects. I respect the honest and hardworking people.
Generous bonus will be given to the Professional and Loyal Providers Only.

This is at-least a 50k job.

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
I saw that post too - competely insane!

I'm looking for a very experience professional that is a reliable Google Adsense website creator that is able to create an Adsense site that must generate AT LEAST $50 to $80 USD per day. Please show me some proof once the work has been done that it really makes at least the amount mentioned for the project daily. If you are not capable to deliver this task, then please DO NOT BID!

You will be responsible for writing unique SEO optimized content, complete configuration of the website. Website must be developed using Wordpress ONLY with professional look and feel.

2. Contain unique content with unique posts/articles for one year (1 article/week), meaning 52 articles that are not published yet - Strictly no copying from the internet, for I will check for content duplication.
7. Any niche except adult, Pharm, violence, gambling are not acceptable sites. MUST ADHERE TO ADSENSE TOS 100%
- Welcome to add any related CB products as long as it doesn't distract from Adsense ads too much
- Have my Google Analytics plugin installed and linked to the same Google account as Adsense

I will pay the amount of bid only AFTER I see constant income in my Adsense account. I will hold the payment for 30 days until this has been confirmed. No partial payments - sorry! When conditions have been met successfully, you will be paid in full. The bidder should consider the following points:
• Show me the proof of income after 30 days of launching of website, day by day statics to be provided (Unique Visitor, Unique clicks, ad clicked, text-ads clicked)
• Show me some of your previous website/blogs that you already created (that must not be your own) and profitable .

Have to stress again website, traffic and ads clicks must be 100% within Adsense TERMS OF SERVICE. I cannot risk my Adsense account. TRAFFIC AND CLICKS MUST BE WHITE-HAT ONLY!
Only experience bidders with a proven record will be considered. No rookies please!
For Successful Completion of this project, could lead to potential and regularly fulltime projects. I respect the honest and hardworking people.

This is at-least a 50k job.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Have googled it alot but cant seem to find any good answers.

How can i learn to write good about pages? Product prescirbitons? It's not like a cover letter, sales latter or a landing page. There is different types of copywriting. Any tips?

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013

How can i learn to write good about pages? Product prescirbitons? It's not like a cover letter, sales latter or a landing page. There is different types of copywriting. Any tips?

Is English your first language? It seems you have a bit more to overcome before writing copy. I have dyslexia and doing any type of writing is death for me. I stay clear away from it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

So let me get this straight...

Creating a $1,500/mo passive income stream is as simple as $250 and a 10 minute post at Upwork? Damn! How could I be so stupid?

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO

Like all copies, know your target audience, give them a profile (your uncle or cousin) and write like you're talking to them. Sell them the benefits of your product (what it can do for them) not what your product does.

For about pages, what I did was google for a few corporate company's about page and then dissect them and see how they're written.

I've been doing about us pages and product descriptions on fiverr so the others here might have a better answer.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Is English your first language? It seems you have a bit more to overcome before writing copy. I have dyslexia and doing any type of writing is death for me. I stay clear away from it.

English is not my native language. I was talking on the phone and writing at the same time thus the errors. Maybe little laziness also :)

When thinking of it, It's pretty stupid. Should take my time and write good English, make it a habit.

What fields do you work in?

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Like all copies, know your target audience, give them a profile (your uncle or cousin) and write like you're talking to them. Sell them the benefits of your product (what it can do for them) not what your product does.

For about pages, what I did was google for a few corporate company's about page and then dissect them and see how they're written.

I've been doing about us pages and product descriptions on fiverr so the others here might have a better answer.

So you have written product descriptions? Thats awsome! Do you focus on writing specifications or do you sell trough benefits?

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
So let me get this straight...

Creating a $1,500/mo passive income stream is as simple as $250 and a 10 minute post at Upwork? Damn! How could I be so stupid?

You been doing it wrong sir :)

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
So you have written product descriptions? Thats awsome! Do you focus on writing specifications or do you sell trough benefits?
Depending on the product (computers, course, supplements) , you use specs and benefits accordingly.

Lets say for computers I use benefits to appeal to the emotional side and then specifications to cement the description. Have you seen a laptop description with only benefits and no specifications?

For courses, one might sell the benefits more than giving the specifications or fine prints.of the course.

So it varies with the product you're selling. I trust that you can tell the difference between a computer (technical) and a course (technical or emotional).

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Depending on the product (computers, course, supplements) , you use specs and benefits accordingly.

Lets say for computers I use benefits to appeal to the emotional side and then specifications to cement the description. Have you seen a laptop description with only benefits and no specifications?

For courses, one might sell the benefits more than giving the specifications or fine prints.of the course.

So it varies with the product you're selling. I trust that you can tell the difference between a computer (technical) and a course (technical or emotional).

I understand. How much do you charge for a product description? And how long does it take you to write it?

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
I understand. How much do you charge for a product description? And how long does it take you to write it?
Well I am on fiverr after all so the highest I charge currently is $50. A typical product description gig takes me about 4-8 hours research, writing and editing (I should probably take more time but I'm just trying to practice my writing with every gig).

Planning to make the transition to Upwork after I'm more confident with my copy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.