The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Identity Hacking: How to Kill Your Status Quo

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you want to change your current situation?

Then change your identity to a GROWTH IDENTITY from a STATUS QUO IDENTITY.

A STATUS QUO IDENTITY is what you are.

"I'm an engineer at Intel and someday would like to quit to start my own business."

A GROWTH IDENTITY is what you want to become, not what you are.

"I'm an entrepreneur who works at Intel."

KEY CONCEPT: Your self identity works to be congruent with reality. If the identity = reality then the status quo will remain the status quo.

Conversely, when there is incongruence, the status quo violates your identity and you will ACT to change it. You will be more likely to work daily to make it congruent. If your identity is congruent with the status quo, your action then becomes a matter of convenience. In other words, you most likely will NOT change. You will ALWAYS be "an engineer at Intel who would like to quit someday and start a business."

In my 400+ page book, UNSCRIPTED, the concept of identity hacking is a difficult find: It's found in the part about meaning and purpose, specifically, page 197.

In my life, I've ALWAYS self-identified as an entrepreneur since my teens and it helped me make that identity into a reality.

Whatever my future goals might be, I know I will use this identity hack to make it happen.

Screenwriter? I'm a screenwriter, not an aspiring screenwriter.
Options trader? I'm an options trader, not an aspiring trader.
Comedian? I'm a comedian, not an aspiring comedian.

Hack your identity and then prove it daily with action to what you will become.

identity.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
Resonates with me so much.

One thing I was actually of thinking of when reading Unscripted was how a lot of second generation immigrants (like myself) develop a mentality that allows us to accept that we are different. As a result a lot of us do things which society deems wrong or weird - like starting a business or striving to live the unscripted life.

I think it's because of identity hacking while growing up. A lot of regular folk, who fit in all their lives and have a comfortable upbringing don't ever feel that they're "different". And when they do actually do something which is different they're told by society or their parents that "being different is ok". However, these same kids then see their parents and everyone around them trying to fit in and live the Scripted life.

When you're a second generation immigrant, you don't fit in, you have different habits. Heck, I couldn't even speak English when I started primary school and I still remember sitting by myself at lunch time wishing I could fit in. The thing is though that when my parents and their friends said it's "ok to be different", I could see in their actions that it actually was (they were congruent in their actions and words).

I feel like my parents, family and their friends hacked my identity and made me believe that it's ok to live Unscripted .

I don't see any reason why people can't make a concerted effort to hack themselves in this way, or to get to know people who are living Unscripted to change their own reality.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Love it! No value in the word *aspiring*

DELETE!

Reminds me a lot of what Tom Bilyeu (Founder of Quest Nutrition) often discusses (to paraphrase):

1. Decide who you want to become
2. Reverse engineer the path to get there
3. Pay the price via Kinetic Execution

Do you want to change your current situation?

Then change your identity to a GROWTH IDENTITY from a STATUS QUO IDENTITY.

A STATUS QUO IDENTITY is what you are.

"I'm an engineer at Intel and someday would like to quit to start my own business."

A GROWTH IDENTITY is what you want to become, not what you are.

"I'm an entrepreneur who works at Intel."

KEY CONCEPT: Your self identity works to be congruent with reality. If the identity = reality then the status quo will remain the status quo.

Conversely, when their is incongruence, the status quo violates your identity and you will ACT to change it. You will be more likely to work daily to make it congruent. If your identity is congruent with the status quo, your action then becomes a matter of convenience. In other words, you most likely will NOT change. You will ALWAYS be "an engineer at Intel who would like to quit someday and start a business."

In my 400+ page book, UNSCRIPTED, the concept of identity hacking is a difficult find: It's found in the part about meaning and purpose, specifically, page 197.

In my life, I've ALWAYS self-identified as an entrepreneur since my teens and it helped me make that identity into a reality.

Whatever my future goals might be, I know I will use this identity hack to make it happen.

Screenwriter? I'm a screenwriter, not an aspiring screenwriter.
Options trader? I'm an options trader, not an aspiring trader.

Hack your identity and then prove it daily with action to what you will become.

View attachment 15336

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Love it MJ. Got me thinking about a few things.

Identity definitely drives behavior, for better or worse. Once you know this, you begin to be a lot more careful about what you tell yourself and how you present that identity to others. As a side note, sometimes implanting a new identity or sharing it can be difficult and people can get hung up on it.

One of these hangups is Affirmations.
No matter how many times you shout "I AM RICH" into a mirror, it may not be an effective way to implant a new growth identity.

So, one similar method I've used to combat this problem and implant a new identity is to literally imagine that you are a multi-million dollar entrepreneur who lost everything and had to start from scratch.

What do you do now?

What are your first steps?

It's a subtle distinction, but from that standpoint the path becomes incredibly clear.
It's not just identifying as an entrepreneur, but using identity to provoke action
(as in pretending you are a successful entrepreneur who lost everything).

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I think that UnrealCreative is right when he says that many will need to make it more than just an affirmation in order for it to an effective identity hack. I would go as far as to say that some people probably need to make it more than simple imagination altogether.

One way to really make this "identity hack" official would be to tell people who you are. Anytime you meet someone new you tell them "I'm an entrepreneur." Even to family and friends that you already know - if they ask what you've been up to lately or how you've been - find a way to squeeze in your new identity. This adds the social pressure to live up to the identity. And one thing is for certain: social pressure is the strongest force when it comes to making us act congruent to an established identity.

I've been traveling the past several months and I've always told people that I am an entrepreneur when they ask me what I do. I've even become very close to some of these people and let me tell you, I can feel the pressure to conform to these expectations. To not be a phony. To live up to an image that I've created. If you want to put some fire under your a$$ my experience tells me that this will work for you too.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I've always told people that I am an entrepreneur when they ask me what I do. I've even become very close to some of these people and let me tell you, I can feel the pressure to conform to these expectations. To not be a phony. To live up to an image that I've created.

This is the biggest hurdle to overcome IMO. I struggle with it constantly and I suspect that this is where a lot of people get stopped, myself included. Once you put it out there, it becomes real. Now your integrity is on the line and most can't deal with that so they don't externalize their thoughts. "If I don't tell you, then you won't know that I failed."

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Maybe I dont get it, but this seems backwards to me.

I'm an entrepreneur. How do I know I am?

Because I take the actions of an entrepreneur.

For me, the action comes first. If I want to change how I identify myself, I take action that is congruent with that identity FIRST...which makes it true.

I'm an entrepreneur not because I say I am, but because I DO IT.

I realize language matters, especially our internal language, but I'm not sure how to use that internal language to affect change.

What am I missing here?

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada

Reminds me of this quote:

“It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking, than think your way into a new way of acting.”

Jerry Sternin, The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA

For me, the action comes first. If I want to change how I identify myself, I take action that is congruent with that identity FIRST...which makes it true.

I realize language matters, especially our internal language, but I'm not sure how to use that internal language to affect change.

What am I missing here?
I think that it completely depends on the circumstances. There are people who simply won't take action because it doesn't align with their identity. I think that action/identity is a real chicken and egg scenario where both will feed into each-other. The point is that one of these must change in order for anything to happen, and if a person isn't taking action then "identity hacking" may get them there.

Nekoemon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 18, 2016
Over the rainbow

Because saying you are something induces to take action to become that something, sometimes just to avoid the imposteur syndrome. It also creates opportunities (meet people) that you wouldn't have had if you had stayed in the "aspiring" lie. Of course identity hack is nothing without the realistic action and work behind, but it's a good kick in the a$$ to start.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
What am I missing here?

Here's the way I think of this. In a weird way, in my experience, both are necessary. Like @MrSterlock pointed out, there's a chicken and egg conundrum here. For whatever reason, here's the life experience that jumps to mind:

I was a timid and chubby kid. My dad convinced me to join an MMA gym (before MMA was a national phenomenon and the gyms were douchebag factories). Old man figured it could fix the timid and chubby thing in one go. It did. I got chubby again later, but we'll leave that for another day.

So, gym rules is that once you've been there for a solid month you have to spar if you wanna stay. I was terrified. I talked to myself on the drive over, the whole time sitting against the wall waiting my turn, convincing myself I could fight this kid. I convinced myself to get on the mat with him.

He beat my a$$.

But that's not the moral of the story. All these years later, I still vividly remember the moment after he landed a heavy right. I remember the slow-mo surprise, and I remember being surprised at myself.... I was still on my feet. I took my 3 round beating and was really no worse for wear. From then on, I thought of myself as a guy who could fight. It cemented from self-talk to real experience that, if nothing else, I could get hit in the face and not go down. I could get taken down and not tap out.

Sure, it was the experience that made it really real. But I would have never had the experience if I hadn't talked myself into it being real to begin with. Ironically, I convinced myself I could win, got my a$$ beat, and the experience of surviving the a$$ beating is what kept me going.

That's a little rambling, but we are talking chicken and egg here. Self talk is important. I used to think it was bullshit. Not so much anymore.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Self talk is important. I used to think it was bullshit. Not so much anymore.

I used to think this too. Then I talked myself into a pit of despair about 18 months ago and realized that 1) I don't have very good control of my mind and emotions and, 2) I'm an a**hole to myself.

That's why this topic interests me, cause I have some pretty messed up identities related to certain things haha.

Your story made a lot of sense. It really is a chicken and egg thing. I guess you can't have an egg without a chicken, and you can't have a chicken without an egg...

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
This made me laugh.

What am I missing here?

Andrew's Law of Attraction Lesson of the Day
"You don't attract what you want, you attract what you are."

When you look outside of you, you realize that universe is a reflection of who you are. When I decided that I want to be and NLP teacher, someone messaged me a few days later asking me to mentor them in NLP, out of nowhere, before I even put a sales page up for that kind of offer years ago.

When you identify yourself and feel, and breathe every essence of being a successful entrepreneur, the universe outside of you aligns with who you are on the inside; and opportunities/money attract to you, and flow to you easily and effortlessly....with abundance

You are the magnet. When you take action, the magnet is stronger, but the magnet of who you are is what pulls people and opportunities to you in the first place.

Before you took action, you first decided to be the person who takes action.

Being.
Doing.
Having.

#lawofattraction ;)

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I think that UnrealCreative is right when he says that many will need to make it more than just an affirmation in order for it to an effective identity hack. I would go as far as to say that some people probably need to make it more than simple imagination altogether.
The affirmation is one thing.

Then there is the emotional attachment to the identity you want to shed.

"Affirmations are like taking a pile of dog shit, covering it in frosting, and calling it a cupcake."

What emotional attachments and reminders make you cling onto the old identity, and make you believe for it to still be true?

In Buddhist teachings, they say you must empty the cup before you can fill the cup. Be willing to let go of the old, and realize that's not who you are now, and release the emotional attachments...and this makes room for the new.

That's my experience for shifting identities faster at least.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
The affirmation is one thing.

Then there is the emotional attachment to the identity you want to shed.

"Affirmations are like taking a pile of dog shit, covering it in frosting, and calling it a cupcake."

What emotional attachments and reminders make you cling onto the old identity, and make you believe for it to still be true?

In Buddhist teachings, they say you must empty the cup before you can fill the cup. Be willing to let go of the old, and realize that's not who you are now, and release the emotional attachments...and this makes room for the new.

That's my experience for shifting identities faster at least.
I agree that you must let go of your old identity and once your actions and the life you are living are completely incongruent with it - it will fall to the wayside. That almost goes without saying.

The problem is when someone is being held back by their past and the way that they presently identify themselves to the point where it completely obstructs their ability to take action. In this position, someone needs both the awareness that their present model of themselves is the issue and that they CAN change it in order for transformation to even begin. Many people simply don't even believe that they are capable of changing. Only with the knowledge that they can change can action be taken in that direction.

Often with that action, their identity as being an apathetic loser with no direction in life (for example) is contradicted and this feeds into an identity of growth because now they are growing. I think that this is one of the most powerful aspects of progress in any aspect of life. When you experience growth you don't just make progress but you begin to identify as someone who is growing.

For that reason, maybe one of the best ways to help someone in a mental rut is by giving them easy steps of action that they can see direct results from.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
I feel like nowadays so many people say "I am an entrepreneur" why? What do you do? They say they are but what actions do they take? It's so easily thrown out there by people... At this point in time I just think of myself as some dude working at gaining my financial independence

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One way to really make this "identity hack" official would be to tell people who you are.

I've actually told people I trade options for a living because I wasn't in the mood to be discussing business. I knew saying "options" would make them immediately check out of the topic. Ha Ha, I just wanted to be left alone.

I feel like nowadays so many people say "I am an entrepreneur" why? What do you do? They say they are but what actions do they take?

I think a lot of those people are still working out their failures. I told people I was an entrepreneur for 10 years before my entrepreneurship actually put food on the table.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
I think a lot of those people are still working out their failures. I told people I was an entrepreneur for 10 years before my entrepreneurship actually put food on the table.

Which is perfectly fine, so many have failed countless times before being a hit success. But you said it yourself you were working out failures meaning you were putting your ideas to action. I was referring more to the type "I'm an entrepreneur because I am thinking of starting some sort of business" while they sit on the couch binge watching netflix.

Nekoemon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 18, 2016
Over the rainbow
Another interesting effect of identity hack is that you are forced to leave the holy comfort zone in order to be able to walk the talk, otherwise you'll be just an arrogant imposter.
There's a limit however: your new identity should be rather vague, not too detailed. Don't say "I'm a professional translator who mastered in Mandarin Chinese" if you don't speak a single word of Chinese, you'll be unmasked in no time.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I really needed to read all of this.

I don't tell most people that I'm an entrepreneur simply because they start spewing their venom about the challenges and obstacles, without providing helpful feedback or solutions. These people are called energy vampires.

I keep telling myself that I'm an entrepreneur posing as an office drone.

The SCRIPT painfully reveals itself to you on your journey, especially once you step outside of the SCRIPT.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I don't tell most people that I'm an entrepreneur simply because they start spewing their venom about the challenges and obstacles, without providing helpful feedback or solutions. These people are called energy vampires.

I keep telling myself that I'm an entrepreneur posing as an office drone. The SCRIPT painfully reveals itself to you on your journey, especially once you step outside of the SCRIPT.

Must watch video, and I'm now happy to understand why I give zero f*cks about celebrities.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I've actually told people I trade options for a living because I wasn't in the mood to be discussing business. I knew saying "options" would make them immediately check out of the topic. Ha Ha, I just wanted to be left alone.

Since when selling options became more honourable than entrepreneurship lol

But where I come from, if they hear of people selling options, the word 'scam' would be on their lips. Yup, that's how scam-ridden society is. Lots of money wolves around these days for such a misconception to occur.

But MJ, your earlier businesses weren't very entrepreneural in the strictest of sense until the limo biz...they were just normal tradesman avenues. So technically you didn't need 10 years for entrepreneurship to put food on the table, let alone make millions!
I feel like nowadays so many people say "I am an entrepreneur" why? What do you do? They say they are but what actions do they take? It's so easily thrown out there by people... At this point in time I just think of myself as some dude working at gaining my financial independence
Me too.
That's why I like entrepreneurship...its very neutral. I never want to be a lawyer, engineer or doctor not because I detest these occupations, but because I don't want to be known just for my career choices. When you spend decades mastering a craft or profession, you become immortalized with that badge stuck onto you for life. I just want to be known for my personality and the value that comes with it.

I keep telling myself that I'm an entrepreneur posing as an office drone.

The SCRIPT painfully reveals itself to you on your journey, especially once you step outside of the SCRIPT.

IMO, it's something like an egocentric mindset as suggested by Piaget...a pre-operational stage of development.
The inability to see things from other's POV really encumbers us to achieve more things.
It was really haunting to discover that the pre-operational stage is supposedly functional during your toddler or early childhood days before you supposedly progress onwards....so that means lots of us still have the mentality of kids lol...:rofl::rofl::shit:

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK

What am I missing here?
Because the brain doesn't know the difference between a visualisation and an actual experience.

David R Hamilton PhD | Does your brain distinguish real from imaginary?David R Hamilton PhD

And your whole body, ego and everything else depend on your experiences.

Nekoemon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 18, 2016
Over the rainbow
Because the brain doesn't know the difference between a visualisation and an actual experience.
The subconscious part doesn't, but the conscious does. Otherwise thinking of a chocolate cake would be as good as eating a real one, which is not the case. That's why when you dream you can feel sensations as if they were real. Under hypnosis too.
This being said, as long as you know how to manipulate your subconscious mind, you can fool your brain quite easily.

eagleye101

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 24, 2013
Athens, Greece
This is a huge topic and it goes deep.
After reading the section about identity shift in the Unscripted book, I was reminded of something I knew but forgot.

I use to be a smokeer.
One day, September of 2013 I was smoking a cigarette. Suddently, it felt like shit. The taste, the smell, the dizziness. And I thought "why the f* am I doing this to myself? I hate it and it costs health, money and bad breath"

So I put it off. It was one moment of clearity, an AHA moment, an identity shift. It's been 4 year and I haven't smoked once, even if I was smoking since a teenager.

Experiencing an identity shift, is totally different from "knowing" it.

I have a day-job. I've been working here for 14yrs. It's been 14yrs of identity building!

I've had entrepreneurial experience. I've made money. But my identity remains. I am an employee that does entrepreneurial activities. It is hard to see the truth in the eyes.

I called my best friend which was reading Unscripted at the same time as me. He was an employee, he started a business but then quit to go back to another job. I told him "this is it" right there. This is our problem. Our identity has built strong towards the script.

You cannot have an identity shift in your head. You have to feel it in your heart, you have to feel your body shake. You cannot have an identity shift and be the same person anymore. You have to become "not me". Inside, your whole being has to shout "THIS IS NOT ME!"

Every limitation we experince within the script is a limitation of our mind.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007