The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm seeing a trend:

upload_2018-3-23_10-48-52.png

You have 25 messages in 6 months and all but I think 2 of them are in your own threads.

You basically start a thread, post a video, and then contribute nothing of value to the rest of the forum. You aren't helping other folks in other threads, you aren't contributing tremendous value in your own threads... I don't get it.

Why not join this community and be an active part in it?

Here's your intro thread:

Hi, I've just joined the community and I can't wait to start learning and sharing. :smile2:

I own a business that builds automated sales funnels for websites. This includes landing pages, conversion rate optimisation, pre-sell content, e-commerce, email marketing etc.

We've just expanded into YouTube SEO and have a strong history of helping brands to succeed on the platform. This includes one video that achieved over 1.6 million views.

Sounds like, if this is true, you have a ton of value to share but you hardly post at all, don't explain yourself, don't try to help others here use the tools you know about to help their businesses, etc...

You could be of such tremendous value to the forum if you are an expert in this stuff - why not go read OTHER people's threads and offer advice, help, strategies, tips, tricks, etc... to help them? Show us what you've done and how.

Why not start a progress thread or journal on how you built a buisness that builds automated sales funnels? Tell us your story like you were sitting around with us having coffee. Help folks out like a mentor would.

Saying "thanks for the likes" and "see above" means nothing. Answering questions and concerns the community has about your posts would mean a lot. Contributing meaningfully would mean a lot. Helping folks without expecting anything in return would help a lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Chris,

Here's another "I'm not a guru" thread. See how that transpired... and is still transpiring...

NOTABLE! - 1,000,000 Followers On Social Media: How I Am Doing It & How You Can Too

7 pages and not one damn legit tip from the OP, just a lot of peacocking and chest pounding.

The common thread in these posts is the thread-starters' make no effort at being a part of the community. They only come here with something to sell, or something to take (traffic, users, leads, etc.)

Have you made an effort to be a part of this community, something that doesn't require a backlink or a call to action? Have you engaged in casual, conversational tone as if we were your peers? Or as if we are your target market?

We're not your captive audience of hot leads... drive-by posts masquerading as value only to build a sales funnel, a YT channel, or a list doesn't fly here and that's why (again!) there is friction.

And most of us are tired of seeing it.

When people see conditional contributions and loaded value (I'm only here to indirectly promote my stuff!) they get defensive.

Hope this makes sense.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Chris,

Here's another "I'm not a guru" thread. See how that transpired... and is still transpiring...

NOTABLE! - 1,000,000 Followers On Social Media: How I Am Doing It & How You Can Too

7 pages and not one damn legit tip from the OP, just a lot of peacocking and chest pounding.

The common thread in these posts is the thread-starters' make no effort at being a part of the community. They only come here with something to sell, or something to take (traffic, users, leads, etc.)

Have you made an effort to be a part of this community, something that doesn't require a backlink or a call to action? Have you engaged in casual, conversational tone as if we were your peers? Or as if we are your target market?

We're not your captive audience of hot leads... drive-by posts masquerading as value only to build a sales funnel, a YT channel, or a list doesn't fly here and that's why (again!) there is friction.

And most of us are tired of seeing it.

When people see conditional contributions and loaded value (I'm only here to indirectly promote my stuff!) they get defensive.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, but there's one key difference between the two threads which pretty much boils down to this:

My thread contains a video (embedded in the forum) which contains all of the information about how anyone can replicate the same results.

Would you much rather that I posted a transcript of a ten-minute video opposed to the description and timecodes of the video? (CC are available in the video)

I would argue that this has been an attempt to be a part of the community. What I feel the key issue is that some members of the forum would much rather they got exclusive information not contained within a public Youtube video.

However, I would like to add that instead of people attacking (seriously... 2-pages of madness), they're welcome to ask questions as I was hoping to expand on what's covered in the video or discuss anything related to the topic as a whole.

I would much rather spend my time helping people on a more personal one-to-one basis than to regurgitate what I've already covered and to then throw it out there without the time to reply to posts.

This is only my own personal perspective and by the sounds of things, isn't something the community wants.

Cool beans.

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 17, 2013
First, I didn't "class" you as a guru. I mocked you because other people classed you as a guru. But now you have my attention, and even though the burden of proof is not on me to prove you are a guru, now I just want to.

You know why you don't know what defines a guru to me? Because you didn't get to know me...

• Did you post an introduction to get to know the forum?
• Have you posted a high value AMA explaining your exact process?

Now let's break down your post so others can see just how "not a guru" you are...

Before adding any value, you post a link off site to your funnel.

You open with a generalization designed to lump everyone into a category and gain agreement.

Here you attempt to use big numbers indirectly for credibility, but fail because they're posted as words instead of numeric values.

Here you make a statement that can't be proven untrue, and even if people in your funnel don't get those results, you're still not to blame because they must have done something wrong. -- a cult tactic so shame and guilt can be applied at a later time.

Here you attempt to imply that your post is not the same as all of those other posts. Yours is somehow different -- which also implies there must be some secret or mystery to your method that sets it apart.

Here you imply that there is something more that we need beyond those things to succeed -- a type of open loop that begs the question, "what could it be?"

Here you make a vague statement about what's possible, in other words future pacing how great life will be after watching your video (which leads directly into your funnel).

Here you attempt to establish more credibility by vaguely mentioning social proof. I'm surprised you didn't name drop your clients to make it more impactful. Also you mention "big" numbers again in a very short time period indicating how easy it is to do this, and free.

Instead of sharing anything of value, you just make a repost talking about your "hundreds" of clients -- another big number before name dropping a bunch of well-known marketers.

More big numbers for credibility that no one is likely to question.

Here you use a bunch of probably fake questions that nobody has ever asked you, and certainly nobody from this forum asked because nobody knows you here.

I'm sure it is...but no, all you need is NOT email subs to make money. Sorry, there's real people behind the screen.

As if we're all so stupid we wouldn't realize this is your lead magnet...

Back to this...instead of accepting that your post reads exactly like a direct response marketing guru's post and using that opportunity to make adjustments, introduce yourself to the forum, and post an actual AMA so people can decide if you're valuable (or not)...you go straight to defensive tactics (what all gurus do) and launch a personal campaign against the people who say you're a guru.

You didn't do that. You posted a gateway into a marketing funnel in a way that reads like a marketing funnel and put the burden of proof on us to watch your video. If you knew anything about value creation, converting people, or engaging your audience, you wouldn't have approached our forum this way at all.

You don't even know how your own funnel operates, but you're teaching others...

Conclusion?

You are a guru.
(just not a very good one)

A Tier 3 guru who doesn't know anything about value creation. You've spent time reading up on all the big names like Neil Patel and following exactly what they say and believing that that's how you should talk to other people to get them to respond.

Funny thing is, Patel and Halpern are Tier 1 gurus, and they talk that way to sell to Tier 3 gurus like you.

If you want to know more about Tier 3 gurus, you can read my 4th GOLD thread here.

That's called an open loop by the way. Also notice how I added relevant credibility.

I'm sure they taught you that though...

No more responses from me though. The forum saw through your post before I even got tagged. Now it's up to them to decide. Personally, I decided not to watch your video because writing this post already wasted enough time.

Mic drop.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thanks, but there's one key difference between the two threads which pretty much boils down to this:

My thread contains a video (embedded in the forum) which contains all of the information about how anyone can replicate the same results.

Would you much rather that I posted a transcript of a ten-minute video opposed to the description and timecodes of the video? (CC are available in the video)

I would argue that this has been an attempt to be a part of the community. What I feel the key issue is that some members of the forum would much rather they got exclusive information not contained within a public Youtube video.

However, I would like to add that instead of people attacking (seriously... 2-pages of madness), they're welcome to ask questions as I was hoping to expand on what's covered in the video or discuss anything related to the topic as a whole.

I would much rather spend my time helping people on a more personal one-to-one basis than to regurgitate what I've already covered and to then throw it out there without the time to reply to posts.

This is only my own personal perspective and by the sounds of things, isn't something the community wants.

Cool beans.

I don't think you've listened to a single word anybody has said, which sort of is confirmation bias of the early read of your post anyway.

So at least we all understand where we sit. And, this Forum isn't a venue to recruit people for one-on-one consultation anyway. We are all about the public dissemination of knowledge not a lead generator pool for private solicitation.

If you don't have time to reply to posts, there's really no need to post anything here.

Thread is temporarily closed unless MJ wants to reopen it at his discretion.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One privilege of being a mod is to sneak in a comment on a closed thread.

Firstly, I’m proud to be a member of this forum. It’s humbling to see members try to show people where they’re going wrong and gently guide them onto a better path.

Secondly, may I humbly point people to this thread:

It was started by someone who:
  • Dropped a cr@p load of content into the forum when he joined 4 years ago.
  • Likely had the ban hammer hovering over him initially.
  • Did not see the forum as a lead gen channel but as a new home online.
  • Did not release a course but joined in the community and helped people.
  • Has never asked people to PM him.
  • Has PM’d over 2,000 forum members.
  • Was *asked* by fellow forum members to create a course.
  • Finally created and released a course into the forum.
  • Can’t stand guru tactics and purposely does the opposite.
  • Was truly humbled to be made a mod along the way.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One privilege of being a mod is to sneak in a comment on a closed thread.

Firstly, I’m proud to be a member of this forum. It’s humbling to see members try to show people where they’re going wrong and gently guide them onto a better path.

Secondly, may I humbly point people to this thread:

It was started by someone who:
  • Dropped a cr@p load of content into the forum when he joined 4 years ago.
  • Likely had the ban hammer hovering over him initially.
  • Did not see the forum as a lead gen channel but as a new home online.
  • Did not release a course but joined in the community and helped people.
  • Has never asked people to PM him.
  • Has PM’d over 2,000 forum members.
  • Was *asked* by fellow forum members to create a course.
  • Finally created and released a course into the forum.
  • Can’t stand guru tactics and purposely does the opposite.
  • Was truly humbled to be made a mod along the way.

Banhammer still hovering over you

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would much rather spend my time helping people on a more personal one-to-one basis

One-to-one? That doesn't seem very efficient, unless that is, they've paid $10K to be coached one on one?

So you're basically confirming you're a "drive-by" -- plenty of time to post the thread (lead-gen/list-build) but no time to comment or answer follow-up questions.

Unless the definition of a "forum" has changed in the last few years, this is not how forums work.

Forums work like this:

1) Post content.
2) Question/Answer
3) Discuss
4) Build relationships

It is not:

1) Post content.
2) Leave, but hope to snag some traffic, leads, subscribers.

Again, it is clear that you have a lot to offer this community, but when people offer their knowledge under the presumption of a backlink, a hot lead, or a YT subscriber, the community becomes extremely defensive.

You have 25 messages in 6 months and all but I think 2 of them are in your own threads.

Yes, nearly 50,000 threads on this forum, many related to a topic Chris has expertise within, but those aren't interesting enough for a contribution because they don't fall into the realm of "marketing outreach."

Forums = relationships, sharing, and community.

When it appears that isn't the case, the pitchforks come out.

Again, I'd love to be wrong at which time I will offer a complete "on the knees, foot in the mouth" apology.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
One-to-one? That doesn't seem very efficient, unless that is, they've paid $10K to be coached one on one?

So you're basically confirming you're a "drive-by" -- plenty of time to post the thread (lead-gen/list-build) but no time to comment or answer follow-up questions.

Unless the definition of a "forum" has changed in the last few years, this is not how forums work.

Forums work like this:

1) Post content.
2) Question/Answer
3) Discuss
4) Build relationships

It is not:

1) Post content.

Again, it is clear that you have a lot to offer this community, but when people offer their knowledge under the presumption of a backlink, a hot lead, or a YT subscriber, the community becomes extremely defensive.

Yes, nearly 50,000 threads on this forum, many related to a topic Chris has expertise within, but those aren't interesting enough for a contribution because they don't fall into the realm of "marketing outreach."

Again, I'd love to be wrong at which time I will offer a complete "on the knees, foot in the mouth" apology.
Something tells me you won't need to do the latter.

Since when did obnoxious tags started to become the norm, ever since the AndrewNC thread?

I'm not one to judge, but there must be some Fastlaner online who's had the wrong order of coffee.:bored::inpain:

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
I vote for #landfill.
No time to check time.
The OP seems to be basically deaf and blind to forum members feedback, just like the OP of that other guru thread MJ mentioned somewhere above.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow

I made a video that covers a great deal of information that's applicable to any business or website looking to increase it's conversion rate - specifically people opting into their email list.

Therefore, to avoid repeating everything in the video, I would much rather help other people in the forum with conversion rate optimization or email marketing specific to the difficulties they're facing.

I presume this is something people would find more valuable than not offering anything for free at all?

I've replied to comments multiple times in this thread.

Forums work like this:

1) Post content.
2) Question/Answer
3) Discuss
4) Build relationships

I agree hence posting content, offering to answer questions relating to building a landing page to get more email subscribers, happy to discuss and delighted to build relationships.

It is not:

1) Post content.

I fully apologize for pissing people off - not my intention AT ALL.

However, if someone is made to feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, then why would they stick around?

If members of your forum are being extremely offensive, then why would anyone bother to come back? (seriously... look at the tags that have been added by a mod... It's insulting)

I get that there may have been bad experiences in the past with spammers, but that is no excuse or absolution to how people have reacted to this thread.

A few subscribers or views to a Youtube video is as useful as it sounds... I posted the video simply because it's my first (I introduce myself and explain what I do and who I've helped) while reintroducing myself to the community and to offer my help for free.

It's that simple.

Old threads that are most likely outdated? How many marketers (I would never class myself as one) would come back to repeatedly answer people's posts if all they were after are a few clicks?

Agreed.

I vote for #landfill.
No time to check time.
The OP seems to be basically deaf and blind to forum members feedback, just like the OP of that other guru thread MJ mentioned somewhere above.

See my replies.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
The Exact Pitch I Used to Close an $8,000/month Contract

This is a great example of a "video link" thread that did go down well.
Look at the difference in approach and language used.

Completely different approach and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

You're right it is down to language. It boils down to exactly the same thing I said (minus the video Youtube description).

Watch this until the end because there's golden advice.

It's a smart thing to say because Youtube values watch time which means higher rankings.

Therefore, when you break it down, is it really that different from my intention? I would argue no, but the use of language is certainly different.

What you are going to find about this unique oasis on the internet is that the BS filter is highly tuned, and the forum is self regulating. We have to do very little moderation, as the forum takes care of the content. If you invest in this place, you will sharpen your business and learn along the way while you contribute.

Your OP reads like a lead generation, and then you accidentally send someone a solicitation when they agree to give you their email address for your "free" content.
If the video is about generating leads for your business and if it works, then surely something can be learned from the approach I've taken and from the content included in the video?

Furthermore, why complain about email addresses if this very forum requires registration to contribute?

Why send email reminders about posts to encourage repeat visits?

This forum is a sales funnel and lead generation in itself. There's nothing wrong with that either.

This type of soft entry to sales funnels works elsewhere, and you followed the program perfectly. You just chose the wrong audience. We're not potential customers of yours. And, while efforts like this are targeted at newbies looking for shortcuts, we are over-protective of the newbies that find their way to the forum as we're hoping they find authenticity in their journey vs. sales pitches for programs.
What sales pitch?

I know you're acting in the best interest of others and are talking generally opposed to talking on behalf of every user of the forum.

However, if it didn't work, then why do so many brands use landing pages to build an email list?

Why do brands of all sizes hire people, use agencies and freelancers to build and grow their business online including lowering CPA?

Why is there so much evidence available to state that building an email list isn't a fad?

Furthermore, if you've never used this or are actively looking to see what lowers acquisition costs and boosts conversion rates, then how do you know it's not authentic?

Don't leave. Stay, and teach and absorb and learn. Contribute. You'll find a deeper purpose and deeper meaning and I bet bigger success if you re-anchor with the mindset of helping people vs. selling people. Lose the used car salesman hype. You have such great potential at such a young age. Don't get lured by the fake easy money gurus. You're NOT a featured poster at the FastLaneForum as your website states. Your post ratio:likes is below average, but you're smart and articulate and some day could become that person that people want to hear from.

I'd abandon ship on this thread, hang out a while, read more than you write, and re-engage when you have something of value to give to the forum. We want you here. You just need to cool it on your original thought process that we are here to learn from you and/or buy from you. We're here to do a chapter of life with you, and hopefully everyone is enriched as a result.

If that's not what you are looking for, just click the X in the top right hand corner of the web browser you're using and hunt somewhere else. Best of luck with what ever path you pick.

That was my intention and I appreciate your feedback.

Considering how some have reacted and contributed to this thread (including whoever added additional tags), do you feel there is anything that they can perhaps absord and learn from?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
You got to reflect and wonder why this thread didn’t go so well.

Why does everyone think you are trying to sell us something?

Why doesn’t that happen on other threads like the one I posted?

As for the video itself (content aside) it’s very hard to watch. The constant changes in voice, visuals, and content make it hard to engage. Look at your video watch time stats and see how long people lasted. I’d love you to post the fall off so others can learn too. I’m guessing very few make it past a minute.

If you post the watch time stats you will give us some context as to the value of your video. For those who did watch it - how long did they stay? You can’t blame a low watch time on this forum (although it will show you where you can improve your own communication).

Just my 2c

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
You got to reflect and wonder why this thread didn’t go so well.

Why does everyone think you are trying to sell us something?

Why doesn’t that happen on other threads like the one I posted?

As for the video itself (content aside) it’s very hard to watch. The constant changes in voice, visuals, and content make it hard to engage. Look at your video watch time stats and see how long people lasted. I’d love you to post the fall off so others can learn too. I’m guessing very few make it past a minute.

If you post the watch time stats you will give us some context as to the value of your video. For those who did watch it - how long did they stay? You can’t blame a low watch time on this forum (although it will show you where you can improve your own communication).

Just my 2c

Watchtime is dope as are stats relating to it. More than 18% click to the landing page.

I agree that it's not a glossy video (very few are) and the style isn't for everyone. The sound levels have been resolved with the next video.

Thanks for watching :)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Do you mind posting the actual video stats?

That shows what how much value was actually in this for those who did watched.
Your video has more views than the one I posted below so I would like to see the comparison.

I am not calling you out but I do want to see the difference in engagement if you are saying its killer content.
I think it would be valuable for everyone to see how your video style stacks up against other approaches.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1XjanbcNX0

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 13.59.46.png

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
I'll check out your full video later as it looks good. Very similar to Moz.

You have better stats, but there's an issue with the optimization of your video. Fix them, watch for a spike in traffic and then get as many views as possible.

Happy to give you some pointers?

If the aim of the video is to get leads, then pin a comment with a link.

Re my video - I'll post some stats when I get the chance. What I will say is that the only negative feedback has been here and I had 1 dislike prior to posting here...

I went from the top 3 for all of my tags to complete oblivion.

You now have a tremendous number of Likes which will go in your favor as soon as you optimize the video.

Re landing page I use - 34.87% download. It'll leap up once I introduce a popup.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Completely different approach and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

You're right it is down to language. It boils down to exactly the same thing I said (minus the video Youtube description).

Watch this until the end because there's golden advice.

It's a smart thing to say because Youtube values watch time which means higher rankings.

Therefore, when you break it down, is it really that different from my intention? I would argue no, but the use of language is certainly different.

If the video is about generating leads for your business and if it works, then surely something can be learned from the approach I've taken and from the content included in the video?

Furthermore, why complain about email addresses if this very forum requires registration to contribute?

Why send email reminders about posts to encourage repeat visits?

This forum is a sales funnel and lead generation in itself. There's nothing wrong with that either.

What sales pitch?

I know you're acting in the best interest of others and are talking generally opposed to talking on behalf of every user of the forum.

However, if it didn't work, then why do so many brands use landing pages to build an email list?

Why do brands of all sizes hire people, use agencies and freelancers to build and grow their business online including lowering CPA?

Why is there so much evidence available to state that building an email list isn't a fad?

Furthermore, if you've never used this or are actively looking to see what lowers acquisition costs and boosts conversion rates, then how do you know it's not authentic?

That was my intention and I appreciate your feedback.

Considering how some have reacted and contributed to this thread (including whoever added additional tags), do you feel there is anything that they can perhaps absord and learn from?

This is your second response to my post. I'm the guy that closed this thread believing you literally offer nothing of value in the continuation of this thread. You just asked me a dozen questions, half of which aren't pertinent to anything I commented on and I don't care enough to entertain them.

Carry on with whom ever else cares. I don't. If MJ decided to reopen and relitigate this topic, his call. Don't care. Not interested.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Of course it is... but how would you like it if I went to your YouTube channel and engaged nothing YOU SAID, but only posted links to my books, my videos, my blog, and my content. And then when I'm called out on it, say "Hey, this is valuable info no? Isn't prospecting for my list good business?"

You respond to all your questions here by using an "avoiding the issue" logical fallacy.

Avoiding the Issue

The Forum: You shouldn't be using the forum to prospect for your leads.
You: But lead generation is good business! Anyone that doesn't think so is foolish.

Do you mind posting the actual video stats?

I'll post some stats when I get the chance. What I will say is that the only negative feedback has been here and I had 1 dislike prior to posting here...

Thanks for responding to the query. This is the kind of analysis definitely would turn this thread around.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
First, I didn't "class" you as a guru. I mocked you because other people classed you as a guru. But now you have my attention, and even though the burden of proof is not on me to prove you are a guru, now I just want to.

You know why you don't know what defines a guru to me? Because you didn't get to know me...

• Did you post an introduction to get to know the forum?
• Have you posted a high value AMA explaining your exact process?

Now let's break down your post so others can see just how "not a guru" you are...

Before adding any value, you post a link off site to your funnel.

You open with a generalization designed to lump everyone into a category and gain agreement.

Here you attempt to use big numbers indirectly for credibility, but fail because they're posted as words instead of numeric values.

Here you make a statement that can't be proven untrue, and even if people in your funnel don't get those results, you're still not to blame because they must have done something wrong. -- a cult tactic so shame and guilt can be applied at a later time.

Here you attempt to imply that your post is not the same as all of those other posts. Yours is somehow different -- which also implies there must be some secret or mystery to your method that sets it apart.

Here you imply that there is something more that we need beyond those things to succeed -- a type of open loop that begs the question, "what could it be?"

Here you make a vague statement about what's possible, in other words future pacing how great life will be after watching your video (which leads directly into your funnel).

Here you attempt to establish more credibility by vaguely mentioning social proof. I'm surprised you didn't name drop your clients to make it more impactful. Also you mention "big" numbers again in a very short time period indicating how easy it is to do this, and free.

Instead of sharing anything of value, you just make a repost talking about your "hundreds" of clients -- another big number before name dropping a bunch of well-known marketers.

More big numbers for credibility that no one is likely to question.

Here you use a bunch of probably fake questions that nobody has ever asked you, and certainly nobody from this forum asked because nobody knows you here.

I'm sure it is...but no, all you need is NOT email subs to make money. Sorry, there's real people behind the screen.

As if we're all so stupid we wouldn't realize this is your lead magnet...

Back to this...instead of accepting that your post reads exactly like a direct response marketing guru's post and using that opportunity to make adjustments, introduce yourself to the forum, and post an actual AMA so people can decide if you're valuable (or not)...you go straight to defensive tactics (what all gurus do) and launch a personal campaign against the people who say you're a guru.

You didn't do that. You posted a gateway into a marketing funnel in a way that reads like a marketing funnel and put the burden of proof on us to watch your video. If you knew anything about value creation, converting people, or engaging your audience, you wouldn't have approached our forum this way at all.

You don't even know how your own funnel operates, but you're teaching others...

Conclusion?

You are a guru.
(just not a very good one)

A Tier 3 guru who doesn't know anything about value creation. You've spent time reading up on all the big names like Neil Patel and following exactly what they say and believing that that's how you should talk to other people to get them to respond.

Funny thing is, Patel and Halpern are Tier 1 gurus, and they talk that way to sell to Tier 3 gurus like you.

If you want to know more about Tier 3 gurus, you can read my 4th GOLD thread here.

That's called an open loop by the way. Also notice how I added relevant credibility.

I'm sure they taught you that though...

No more responses from me though. The forum saw through your post before I even got tagged. Now it's up to them to decide. Personally, I decided not to watch your video because writing this post already wasted enough time.
Holy Moly, I just read through this thread...

I think we should start a designated #fastlanerekt thread for times like these...

I tend to notice that the posts that reck people the most, often times have a large amount of gold hidden in those words. Too bad people are too focused on protecting their pride and ego to see it.

Dave Daily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Feb 22, 2018
Chico, CA
What you are going to find about this unique oasis on the internet is that the BS filter is highly tuned, and the forum is self regulating. We have to do very little moderation, as the forum takes care of the content. If you invest in this place, you will sharpen your business and learn along the way while you contribute.

Your OP reads like a lead generation, and then you accidentally send someone a solicitation when they agree to give you their email address for your "free" content.

This type of soft entry to sales funnels works elsewhere, and you followed the program perfectly. You just chose the wrong audience. We're not potential customers of yours. And, while efforts like this are targeted at newbies looking for shortcuts, we are over-protective of the newbies that find their way to the forum as we're hoping they find authenticity in their journey vs. sales pitches for programs.

Don't leave. Stay, and teach and absorb and learn. Contribute. You'll find a deeper purpose and deeper meaning and I bet bigger success if you re-anchor with the mindset of helping people vs. selling people. Lose the used car salesman hype. You have such great potential at such a young age. Don't get lured by the fake easy money gurus. You're NOT a featured poster at the FastLaneForum as your website states. Your post ratio:likes is below average, but you're smart and articulate and some day could become that person that people want to hear from.

I'd abandon ship on this thread, hang out a while, read more than you write, and re-engage when you have something of value to give to the forum. We want you here. You just need to cool it on your original thought process that we are here to learn from you and/or buy from you. We're here to do a chapter of life with you, and hopefully everyone is enriched as a result.

If that's not what you are looking for, just click the X in the top right hand corner of the web browser you're using and hunt somewhere else. Best of luck with what ever path you pick.

Incredible empathy on display here. The harsh feedback Chris got, tempered with responses like these is why I find this place so refreshing. Thanks to everyone for keeping this place pristine.

Stick around Chris and just retool your approach. I've had funnel ideas dancing around my brain for the last several weeks, but I have to admit that your initial approach put me on my guard.

Last edited:

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Incredible empathy on display here. The harsh feedback Chris got, tempered with responses like these is why I find this place so refreshing. Thanks to everyone for keeping this place pristine.

Stick around Chris and just retool your approach. I've had funnel ideas dancing around my brain for the last several weeks, but I have to admit that your initial approach put me on my guard.

Thanks for the comment Hugh appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.