The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How has business success changed you?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Do you see the world differently as you grow as a business person? Do you see business situations through different colored lenses?

I learned something about myself this last week on a 7-day cruise I took with an old friend. I've traveled a lot, but not that way. I felt like a fish out of the water among those other 4,098 guests so I studied the corporate business model of the cruise line. It was obvious to me that the "guests" were being soaked for every dime they had brought with them -- and a whole bunch more money via their credit cards. They were happily herded through carefully planned product funnels on the ship, and into ports-of-call "villages" that were owned and operated by the cruise line. The people seemed totally unaware that they weren't visiting the natives who lived in those countries. Exiting the ship was all punctuated with scantily clad young girls dancing to native sounding bands. It was simply a carefully crafted photo opportunity, posed with those girls in front of a port sign -- that again cost the "guests" a few more bucks for the ship and a tip for the girls. Even when the "guests" left the cruise line area, the only off-site transportation sources were owned and controlled by the cruise line. If I hadn't been in business for all those years, I would have never noticed nor understood how that whole cruise system worked. I was a captive audience for the duration of the trip -- an interesting business study!

What have you become aware of because of your business experience?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I see others differently. Most people seem to light up and celebrate for an entire day if they win a free $50. Lots of people seem to think that being successful in entrepreneurship and business is as likely as winning an Olympic gold medal. I often try to remind myself that I was just the same way the majority of my life and that it was a gradual shift that led to an escape from all that.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Do you see the world differently as you grow as a business person? Do you see business situations through different colored lenses?

I learned something about myself this last week on a 7-day cruise I took with an old friend. I've traveled a lot, but not that way. I felt like a fish out of the water among those other 4,098 guests so I studied the corporate business model of the cruise line. It was obvious to me that the "guests" were being soaked for every dime they had brought with them -- and a whole bunch more money via their credit cards. They were happily herded through carefully planned product funnels on the ship, and into ports-of-call "villages" that were owned and operated by the cruise line. The people seemed totally unaware that they weren't visiting the natives who lived in those countries. Exiting the ship was all punctuated with scantily clad young girls dancing to native sounding bands. It was simply a carefully crafted photo opportunity, posed with those girls in front of a port sign -- that again cost the "guests" a few more bucks for the ship and a tip for the girls. Even when the "guests" left the cruise line area, the only off-site transportation sources were owned and controlled by the cruise line. If I hadn't been in business for all those years, I would have never noticed nor understood how that whole cruise system worked. I was a captive audience for the duration of the trip -- an interesting business study!

What have you become aware of because of your business experience?
Sheeple. Sad.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I see others differently. Most people seem to light up and celebrate for an entire day if they win a free $50. Lots of people seem to think that being successful in entrepreneurship and business is as likely as winning an Olympic gold medal. I often try to remind myself that I was just the same way the majority of my life and that it was a gradual shift that led to an escape from all that.
I agree. Others don't see being an entrepreneur as following a path of a preplanned working plan. Now most of them think I'm just lucky. They don't see my hard work.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest

My daughter took a community college course called Introduction to Entrepreneurship. The instructor spent most of the class trying to disabuse them of the "illusion" that any of them were likely to become successful entrepreneurs. He used data from a decade or more ago and either patted her on the head or ignored her when she provided more current data or raised issues like the lower barriers to entry offered by current and near-future technologies.

Her impression leaving the class was that she was the only one who had not been deterred by his defeatist approach (and honestly, though she's sharp enough that she probably would have questioned the dated statistics and such anyway, I'm not at all sure she'd have remained unscathed if she hadn't grown up among people with varying degrees of entrepreneurial lives, including one friend who has built three 8-figure businesses).

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My daughter took a community college course called Introduction to Entrepreneurship. The instructor spent most of the class trying to disabuse them of the "illusion" that any of them were likely to become successful entrepreneurs. He used data from a decade or more ago and either patted her on the head or ignored her when she provided more current data or raised issues like the lower barriers to entry offered by current and near-future technologies.

Her impression leaving the class was that she was the only one who had not been deterred by his defeatist approach (and honestly, though she's sharp enough that she probably would have questioned the dated statistics and such anyway, I'm not at all sure she'd have remained unscathed if she hadn't grown up among people with varying degrees of entrepreneurial lives, including one friend who has built three 8-figure businesses).
Too bad that the instructor was not supportive. I've been self-employed for 43 years and I can't imagine being an employee. Yes, many of the stats are pretty grim, but some of us just don't know how to quit.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Its alot easier to spot out BS people and I cut them off very quick
I can spot them in a minute, but I have a bunch of them in my life as my tenants and customers. They are who they are. If they were brain surgeons, they would need me.

D

DeletedUser0287

It is mind blowing now to see that the majority of people live their lives for others. I am ashamed that I use to call these people my friends. Making a post and then getting upset if it doesn’t get enough likes. Buying a home to flex to others as the main reason. Even though all their stuff is all funded by slowlane ventures. An economic downturn exposes all these people leveraged out to look fancy.

And I use to feel bad that I didn’t fit in with them.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
“How has business success changed me?”

I don’t know how much of this is down to business or growing older, but:

I worry less about the little things. I never used to worry much anyway, but now I know that overthinking is the art of solving problems we don’t have.

I think I have even more empathy and sympathy than before. It could be from being a parent and losing a parent and brother. So long as people are happy and not hurting others then all’s good. Except I now see most people aren’t, and carry a big burden of worry.

As I get more and more unscripted I get more angry at the script itself, and want to help people break free of it. Even one starfish at a time.

Even in the past few years on this forum I’ve noticed how I give less of a hoot what people think.

I consume a lot less. I find it impossible to sit through courses that last longer than an hour. Reading business books is really hard. Books have to solve or discuss a specific problem that I’m currently facing.

I’m a lot blunter and to the point. People have even told me. Not rude, just to the point.

I don’t try to rush things. Things take their time, and I try to enjoy the journey.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It is mind blowing now to see that the majority of people live their lives for others. I am ashamed that I use to call these people my friends. Making a post and then getting upset if it doesn’t get enough likes. Buying a home to flex to others as the main reason. Even though all their stuff is all funded by slowlane ventures. An economic downturn exposes all these people leveraged out to look fancy.

And I use to feel bad that I didn’t fit in with them.
Yes, many people use things to gain status with the people around them. You have identified the basic human fear of being rejected. Many will do anything to avoid that experience. Most of us with businesses identify more with our ventures rather than our possessions. And that point of view doesn't fit very well.

Have you ever fit in with them? I never did. I've always heard my own drummer. But, over time I have evolved & learned. I better understand that being rejected is a real fear for them. They will risk anything to feel accepted and feel good about themselves. But, the more successful I become the more that these groups reject me. And that's OK with me. It was always iffy. Now I now really don't fit into their comfort zone. Maybe you might simply find that you've outgrown them. There's no reason to feel bad. It's a natural process.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
“How has business success changed me?”

I don’t know how much of this is down to business or growing older, but:

I worry less about the little things. I never used to worry much anyway, but now I know that overthinking is the art of solving problems we don’t have.

I think I have even more empathy and sympathy than before. It could be from being a parent and losing a parent and brother. So long as people are happy and not hurting others then all’s good. Except I now see most people aren’t, and carry a big burden of worry.

As I get more and more unscripted I get more angry at the script itself, and want to help people break free of it. Even one starfish at a time.

Even in the past few years on this forum I’ve noticed how I give less of a hoot what people think.

I consume a lot less. I find it impossible to sit through courses that last longer than an hour. Reading business books is really hard. Books have to solve or discuss a specific problem that I’m currently facing.

I’m a lot blunter and to the point. People have even told me. Not rude, just to the point.

I don’t try to rush things. Things take their time, and I try to enjoy the journey.
I have had similar changes in my life.
I especially like the part about you consuming less -- and not giving a hoot what people think and say. Ditto.
One of the greatest skills I've added is the ability to admit when I am wrong or I just don't know something. I no longer need to right all the time. Sometimes there is no right answer -- just two bad alternatives. Other times there is more than one right answer. My world is full of shades of gray and unanswered questions. It's no longer important to solve every issue. Why would I, & who do I need to impress at this time in my life?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have had similar changes in my life.
I especially like the part about you consuming less -- and not giving a hoot what people think and say. Ditto.
One of the greatest skills I've added is the ability to admit when I am wrong or I just don't know something. I no longer need to right all the time. Sometimes there is no right answer -- just two bad alternatives. Other times there is more than one right answer. My world is full of shades of gray and unanswered questions. It's no longer important to solve every issue. Why would I, & who do I need to impress at this time in my life?
Ah yes. I admit I’m wrong very quickly too (my wife may beg to differ).

“It’s my fault” is a useful post-it note to pull out of the drawer when the blame game starts.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The more I "succeed" the more potential I see for myself to do more.

I think a lot of us don't even see what we are capable of doing when we first start.
We see only the challenges and roadblocks.

Once you get going and you start to see the mind > action > result connection you see that there really is a lot of potential if you apply yourself fully.

Sometimes I look back and see how far I came (and am very grateful) but at the same time, I see how much further I could go also. It keeps me humble for sure!

On my own level, this gap (between where I was and where I could go) already seems like big so for someone in the mega-millions/billions, that gap must be incredible.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Good for her, shame on him!

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Once you get going and you start to see the mind > action > result connection you see that there really is a lot of potential if you apply yourself fully.

This is a very powerful realisation I also had, @Fox.

When you have successfully tried to think of something you want to do, then taken the action(s) necessary to make it happen, and then see it happening, something will change inside of you.

You will now understand that you CAN change the reality of yourself, everyone and everything with this exact process.

Many people can in fact do this in their job for many years without realising, but when you do it "on your own", e.g. with your own business where ONLY you were responsible for the result provided, you will feel what Fox described above.

The hard part of it is to figure out what the action is and how to execute the action, but when you tried it once, I dare say it becomes almost addictive.

I will proudly say I'm addicted to making changes in the world - be it smaller or bigger changes.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Many don’t know any better because the system is engineered to make them that way.

Human raw material, fashioned to keep the economic machine going, and to be discarded the second they can do that no longer.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I haven't had real business success yet, but the stories from this forum corroborate the idea that I've seen posited in spheres unrelated to business: that too many people treat that world as something that you watch rather than actively take part in and shape.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Great question. Offhand, I'd say:
  • Realizing that I CAN achieve things--so long as I take enough action long enough. Like Andy Frisella says: If you do the work and make a plan, it will f*cking happen.
  • More abundant mindset. Need more money? Make some more.
  • More personal responsiblity. Asking questions like:
    • How long do you want it to take?
    • If not now, when? If not me, who?

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
My daughter took a community college course called Introduction to Entrepreneurship. The instructor spent most of the class trying to disabuse them of the "illusion" that any of them were likely to become successful entrepreneurs.
What a peace of ***.

That's what you get when you want to learn about the fastlane in a slowlane system.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Did he ever succeed in running a profitable business? I've seen "professors of entrepreneurship" who list their academic posts on LinkedIn, but none of the businesses that they started. Rather odd, wouldn't you say?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Ah yes. I admit I’m wrong very quickly too (my wife may beg to differ).

“It’s my fault” is a useful post-it note to pull out of the drawer when the blame game starts.
I too play that "post-it note" apology quickly for a couple of reasons.

1. It stops the conversation cold. The other person doesn't know where to go with it. It usually takes the wind out of their anger. It also gives me the chance to try to understand their point of view. I know I tend to be myopic about my projects and business activities -- sometimes described as downright selfish and self-absorbed. I try to make their anger a moment where I "pause" the action for a minute in order to think about where I am and how it affects others.

2. The other reason is that most of the "blame game" issues really don't amount to much. It's usually a petty moment that has no real substance. When I dig a little deeper into their anger, it's usually about something else altogether. I have learned through my businesses and selling experiences that their anger is an opportunity to ask, "In addition to _____, is there anything else that is bothering you?" I want to get at the underlying reason why that other person it angry so I can decide IF I want to deal with the root cause.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The more I "succeed" the more potential I see for myself to do more.

I think a lot of us don't even see what we are capable of doing when we first start.
We see only the challenges and roadblocks.

Sometimes I look back and see how far I came (and am very grateful) but at the same time, I see how much further I could go also. It keeps me humble for sure!

On my own level, this gap (between where I was and where I could go) already seems like big so for someone in the mega-millions/billions, that gap must be incredible.
I totally agree that success changes our point of view. When I was young, I didn't think I had any choices. I just had to slog on -- regardless of what Life handed me. Now when I look back, I can see the choices that I didn't see then. And I see how those challenges and roadblocks have shaped my life now. Hindsight is 20/20.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Did he ever succeed in running a profitable business? I've seen "professors of entrepreneurship" who list their academic posts on LinkedIn, but none of the businesses that they started. Rather odd, wouldn't you say?
Like the old saying, those who can't do -- teach!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Human raw material, fashioned to keep the economic machine going, and to be discarded the second they can do that no longer.
All I learned, when I was young, was to get a job, earn a paycheck and then spend it to survive. I have learned over my years, that I want and can have more. What a novel idea!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is a very powerful realisation I also had, @Fox.

When you have successfully tried to think of something you want to do, then taken the action(s) necessary to make it happen, and then see it happening, something will change inside of you.

You will now understand that you CAN change the reality of yourself, everyone and everything with this exact process.

Many people can in fact do this in their job for many years without realising, but when you do it "on your own", e.g. with your own business where ONLY you were responsible for the result provided, you will feel what Fox described above.

The hard part of it is to figure out what the action is and how to execute the action, but when you tried it once, I dare say it becomes almost addictive.

I will proudly say I'm addicted to making changes in the world - be it smaller or bigger changes.
Beautifully said.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest

It seemed to me that he was a small-time player. He'd started a few businesses that did okay, but nothing I'd heard of (and they were local) before I looked into his bio.

Let me be clear that I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with small-time. I don't have ambitions at the level many in these forums do. But, it seemed to me that maybe his eyes had been much bigger than his successes, because he was presenting it as such a bleak and unlikely road despite what he was putting out there as his own achievements. It read to me as bitterness and a sort of "If I couldn't make it work, you can't either" mentality, even as he was presenting himself as having made it work.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'd say I'm mostly the same person -

I know this sounds conceited but once I became successful, hearing other people talk about work or money problems almost seems foreign/another language to me
  • Other day, bartenders talking to each other about how they want to make more money to live a more free life, so they're going to get a second job.
  • Friend talking about how he's going to get super rich moving up the corporate latter in his new work.
  • My sister not having $100 to her name, borrowing her $7 for something.
  • Even looking back at myself not having $750 for tickets 4 years ago.
I've since realized that people operate on different levels - I'm sure to a super successful entrepreneur, me not being able to buy a lambo would seem "foreign" to them.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Like the old saying, those who can't do -- teach!
I respectfully disagree with that saying, although agree he was a ****.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.