The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I approach companies to find problems?

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
Hi,

I'm living in the UK and would like to find a company within an industry to find out what their problems are so I can find solutions.

Do you think it would be productive to just pick an industry (like taxi firms or car mechanic garages) and have a conversation with a few of them to get an understanding of what their main problems are?

I'm currently a software developer so it would be good to use my skills to solve a problem and try to make a business from it.

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
Yes I believe it could work but maybe start with companies that are near your field of action (tech companies?)
Cheers for response.
Wouldn't all companies use tech though? Why do you suggest tech only?

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Hi,

I'm living in the UK and would like to find a company within an industry to find out what their problems are so I can find solutions.

Do you think it would be productive to just pick an industry (like taxi firms or car mechanic garages) and have a conversation with a few of them to get an understanding of what their main problems are?

I'm currently a software developer so it would be good to use my skills to solve a problem and try to make a business from it.

What are your thoughts?
@Jon L has a new client acquisition system that's about as amazing as any I've ever seen.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Yes

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France
Cheers for response.
Wouldn't all companies use tech though? Why do you suggest tech only?
Yes they do but maybe you'll understand better the tech companies since it's your field idk

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi,

What are your thoughts?
I’d start with my immediate circle of family, friends, past and present work colleagues, acquaintances, etc.

Just get out there asking people how their business is going. Then stfu and let them talk.

Maybe some of the posts in this thread might help:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
@Jon L has a new client acquisition system that's about as amazing as any I've ever seen.
I run a small software development company with developers in Pakistan. My current method of finding clients is to talk to managed IT services firms to see if they have clients that need software development work done. What's great about this is that these IT firms don't see me as competition, rather, they see me as an additional service they can provide to their clients that would make their clients view them as a more valuable business partner. I've found a few clients this way so far, and am just ramping it up.

Its a tough thing to do marketing, sales, project management, systems analysis AND software programming. You'll likely need to pick one or two of those and farm out the rest to someone else.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I’d start with my immediate circle of family, friends, past and present work colleagues, acquaintances, etc.

Just get out there asking people how their business is going. Then stfu and let them talk.

Maybe some of the posts in this thread might help:
Great suggestion.

I found a massive industry-wide problem when I was deciding which product type I would choose from all the supplier contacts I had obtained in China and a couple of other countries through networking.

Four family members worked in places that used products within one of those categories I was considering. They all told me about the same two problems. I knew that I could solve those problems, and the result was that I built a massive importing and B2B marketing business based on fixing those problems to do with that product category.

It might be that people in those circles mentioned by @Andy Black will know about problems unrelated to your particular expertise, but don't get stuck on that. Use your intelligence to fix any serious problems and you have a great starting point.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.