The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I find problems to solve?

Idea threads

kima

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 5, 2023
Hello, I have been lurking around this forum and have gained some valuable knowledge however I have hit somewhat of a stone wall. Something which I hear quite often and agree with is that in order to make a successful business you need to solve a problem however how can I find these problems? Where could I find any problems to solve? do I get into more hobbies and discover problems or is there another more effective way? I know there's not one answer to this question but if I could get a nudge in the right direction that would be appreciated. I know this kind of question is Elementary but it has haunted me for a while so a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bray

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 30, 2022
Utah
Finding problems can be kind of difficult. I would suggest looking at a product that you like and seeing if you can add some value on top of that product. The product can literally be anything. Just look at liquid death. They took water and made it something unique. They gave water a personality. You could also look at creating a very similar product for a particular niche. For example, discord and slack are very similar products. However, one is used for gamers and the other is used for working professionals. Another way you can find problems is by asking chat gpt.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Finding problems can be kind of difficult

Couldn't disagree more, and it's an expensive limiting belief.

There are unlimited problems to solve. The world is moving so fast = new problems.

You can take ANY business, do it differently or better. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. You just have to be a good option for a specific demographic (see MJ's value skew videos).

Actionable:
Write down 10 problems every single day, they can be complete garbage that don't make sense, don't judge your thought process just let it flow. 300 ideas a month 1% will be gold, and you're training your brain to look out for more in the future.

e.g.

- My salt shaker is broken because of humidity
- My Bluetooth speaker takes too long to connect
- I left my lights on when I went out
- I couldn't find my keys for 2 mins before I wanted to leave my house

etc etc

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Ask better questions.

Find a problem you have right now. Doesn't matter what it is. Personal, financial, hobby, etc. Then ask:

Who solves problems like these for money? What do they do to solve it? How good are they at it?

How big do companies solving these problems get? Who are the biggest companies solving this problem? What do their customers say about how well they solve the problem?

If you do that every day, it won't take long until you see problems and possible solutions.

kima

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 5, 2023
Finding problems can be kind of difficult. I would suggest looking at a product that you like and seeing if you can add some value on top of that product. The product can literally be anything. Just look at liquid death. They took water and made it something unique. They gave water a personality. You could also look at creating a very similar product for a particular niche. For example, discord and slack are very similar products. However, one is used for gamers and the other is used for working professionals. Another way you can find problems is by asking chat gpt.
I see, this is a good way to look at it I had not thought of before, Thanks!

kima

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 5, 2023
Ask better questions.

Find a problem you have right now. Doesn't matter what it is. Personal, financial, hobby, etc. Then ask:

Who solves problems like these for money? What do they do to solve it? How good are they at it?

How big do companies solving these problems get? Who are the biggest companies solving this problem? What do their customers say about how well they solve the problem?

If you do that every day, it won't take long until you see problems and possible solution
Wow these replies are quite helpful so far, I didn't think of things from that perspective yet. This is something I'm going to do research on for sure, seems like a goldmine for information

kima

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 5, 2023

There are unlimited problems to solve. The world is moving so fast = new problems.

You can take ANY business, do it differently or better. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. You just have to be a good option for a specific demographic (see MJ's value skew videos).

Actionable:
Write down 10 problems every single day, they can be complete garbage that don't make sense, don't judge your thought process just let it flow. 300 ideas a month 1% will be gold, and you're training your brain to look out for more in the future.

e.g.

etc etc
Holy shit this is good a$$ advice dude If I can come up with enough ideas one of them has to work. This is a fantastic starting point for someone starting this journey like me

Costa

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
623%
Dec 8, 2022
Zero to Hero
Here I explain step by step how to find problems and develop solutions with ChatGPT

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
421%
Aug 9, 2022
Finding problems can be kind of difficult.
???

We're breathing the same air, on the same planet, right?

100%! That bold part is so important. I think I read something about "liking the water where other sharks swim" or something like that. Essentially model what has already worked or be in a market with a clear need.

I also think the question is not how can you find problems. If you spend enough time observing and listening to others around you complain, you will see problems like how you will come to see dust under the sun under close inspection(that you would usually ignore otherwise).

A better question you could ask is: what problem is worth solving with your skillsets, taste, and inclinations?

**************************************************************************************************************************

edit: Start close to home with your current skills/experience. If those skills/experiences are not as valuable, you can choose to learn the necessary skills needed to produce a demanded service/product.

Last edited:

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Hello, I have been lurking around this forum and have gained some valuable knowledge however I have hit somewhat of a stone wall. Something which I hear quite often and agree with is that in order to make a successful business you need to solve a problem however how can I find these problems? Where could I find any problems to solve? do I get into more hobbies and discover problems or is there another more effective way? I know there's not one answer to this question but if I could get a nudge in the right direction that would be appreciated. I know this kind of question is Elementary but it has haunted me for a while so a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The main thing is to keep your mind open, at all times. Listen to other people saying things like 'why does this have to be like this?' or 'How do I make this work?'. If they are having some problems, then definitely more people are having those same problems.
Find a niche market that is not too big and not too small. Then solve their problem through a product/service and you are good to go. Hope this helps in any way.

Nicholas04

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 5, 2023

Actionable:

e.g.

etc etc
Wow extremely well written, I will take this into account and work writing 10 problems a day into my schedule. Thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.