The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going Off-Road, Finally - Starting A Web Design Business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
So I finally decided to take a plunge into the unknown. I've been dreaming about this for the longest time now.. Since maybe 17 years old, I'm 24 now.
Too much reading and no action. So I finally decided to sign up to the program: Fox Web School

I have a full-time job at the moment (web development), I have enough money to quit at any moment or live with my parents if needed. But I'm very risk averse, so even this for me is "off-road".

I'm kinda bummed that I couldn't do it on my own. But I have to swallow my pride and stop bullshitting myself.
I'm going to document my journey as time goes on.

Goals for this week:
-Find first portfolio project

(Any suggestions to improve how I journal my progress or my execution are welcome)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Hello everyone,

So a little update on my first goal:
-Find first portfolio project [FAILED]

Why I think I failed:
1. I stressed out at work and because of that I wasted 2 evenings procrastinating that could've been used to continue looking for more clients and practice sales conversations.
2. The rest of the days weren't as efficient as they could be. Should've been approaching more businesses and improve my approach, instead of researching and practicing sales conversations, when I have no idea if they will respond to me.
3. The next stage is holding me back, because I'm afraid if I do find someone interested, I will fail at the sales conversation.

Leads that I got and its progress:
  • Old friend of mine, a DJ:
    • For now this lead is out (mistake: should've used AIDA tactic, because I completely failed to grab his attention, should've been more direct and that maybe would've sparked his interest)
  • Relative of mine has a drop shipping business, and friends thinking of starting a business
    • Bad leads (in the long term, because if it doesn't increase sales, it's just another useless website)
  • Mother knows someone who has a skin care business:
    • Good lead but I'm still waiting for more info (if the business is still running etc), so I can contact the person
  • Niche industry, with big contracts, bad website:
    • My best lead. Got this lead through my father, he works at the company. Someone in charge of sales at the company told him it could of their interest. So with the help of the Fox FB group I composed an e-mail and I'm going to send it to the commercial manager.
    • But I'm kinda nervous, because if they do actually contact me back, I will have to have a sales conversation with them and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, so I've been practicing some sales conversations.
    • My other worry is that, this could be inefficient, since I don't know if they will actually contact me. So I'm going with my gut now and practicing and once I feel comfortable, I will start looking for more leads.

Some lessons I learned:
  • Don't waste too much time overthinking sales conversations, etc. Start small, contact the businesses first and learn from those approaches, once you got that, move to the next stage.
  • Develop a tough skin, don't let anything stress you. It makes things worse. Rejection and failure is part of the process, it means you're learning, you might feel like you're not learning, but your brain is smart, it recognizes patterns (of what works and doesn't) so trust the process and make an effort to learn.
  • Just get started, apply the 5 sec rule (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQHg-E2HmU). Gain momentum, don't let your thoughts BS you. Stop action faking. If you had a gun pointed to your head, you would not think twice to get started.
I feel a bit overwhelmed, on the one hand I want to approach more businesses on the other I don't feel ready to have a decent sales conversation (even tho I'm planning to do it for free)

Maybe I'm overthinking... Trying to avoid the dreaded sales conversation.

Goals for this week:
1. Look for more leads
2. Start working on first portfolio project

luqazs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia
Hello everyone,

So a little update on my first goal:
-Find first portfolio project [FAILED]

Why I think I failed:
1. I stressed out at work and because of that I wasted 2 evenings procrastinating that could've been used to continue looking for more clients and practice sales conversations.
2. The rest of the days weren't as efficient as they could be. Should've been approaching more businesses and improve my approach, instead of researching and practicing sales conversations, when I have no idea if they will respond to me.
3. The next stage is holding me back, because I'm afraid if I do find someone interested, I will fail at the sales conversation.

Leads that I got and its progress:
  • Old friend of mine, a DJ:
    • For now this lead is out (mistake: should've used AIDA tactic, because I completely failed to grab his attention, should've been more direct and that maybe would've sparked his interest)
  • Relative of mine has a drop shipping business, and friends thinking of starting a business
    • Bad leads (in the long term, because if it doesn't increase sales, it's just another useless website)
  • Mother knows someone who has a skin care business:
    • Good lead but I'm still waiting for more info (if the business is still running etc), so I can contact the person
  • Niche industry, with big contracts, bad website:
    • My best lead. Got this lead through my father, he works at the company. Someone in charge of sales at the company told him it could of their interest. So with the help of the Fox FB group I composed an e-mail and I'm going to send it to the commercial manager.
    • But I'm kinda nervous, because if they do actually contact me back, I will have to have a sales conversation with them and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, so I've been practicing some sales conversations.
    • My other worry is that, this could be inefficient, since I don't know if they will actually contact me. So I'm going with my gut now and practicing and once I feel comfortable, I will start looking for more leads.

Some lessons I learned:
  • Don't waste too much time overthinking sales conversations, etc. Start small, contact the businesses first and learn from those approaches, once you got that, move to the next stage.
  • Develop a tough skin, don't let anything stress you. It makes things worse. Rejection and failure is part of the process, it means you're learning, you might feel like you're not learning, but your brain is smart, it recognizes patterns (of what works and doesn't) so trust the process and make an effort to learn.
  • Just get started, apply the 5 sec rule (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQHg-E2HmU). Gain momentum, don't let your thoughts BS you. Stop action faking. If you had a gun pointed to your head, you would not think twice to get started.
I feel a bit overwhelmed, on the one hand I want to approach more businesses on the other I don't feel ready to have a decent sales conversation (even tho I'm planning to do it for free)

Maybe I'm overthinking... Trying to avoid the dreaded sales conversation.

Goals for this week:
1. Look for more leads
When it comes to sales I highly recommend Jordan Belfort. He taught me sooo much

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Update on last weeks goal:
1. Look for more leads
2. Start working on first portfolio project [FAILED]

Found more leads and contacted them, none of them has lead to a sales conversation. Some of them had a few phone calls, said they were interested, then not anymore (wasted my time basically).

Lessons:
1. Tone of voice, enthusiasm, etc. matters a lot on phone calls (first call went very well, second call not so much and I think that may have lost the interest)
2. Since I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, I'm going brute force this week and find as many prospects as possible.
3. Nobody seems to give a shit if I do it for free. I might as well not say anything about the cost. Then weed out the ones who are really interested and are not.
4. One of the leads was interested but when I said I lived in a city (4+ hours far away) he no longer was interested, so I guess being near me matters a lot

Goals for the next week:
1. Contact 10 businesses per day = 7 X 10 = 70 businesses this week

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
Hey,

go for it, Fox is an amazing mentor =)

An idea: Record yourself talking to prospects then listen to it and pick where you can improve ( tone, words , etc.. )

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
When it comes to sales I highly recommend Jordan Belfort. He taught me sooo much
Thank you, I watched this before a call yesterday and made a huge difference:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLp5tY2RZEI

Hey,

go for it, Fox is an amazing mentor =)

An idea: Record yourself talking to prospects then listen to it and pick where you can improve ( tone, words , etc.. )

Yeah I've been recording myself, it helps a lot to improve fast

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1. Contact 10 businesses per day = 7 X 10 = 70 businesses this week [12 cold calls]
2. Start working on first portfolio project [SUCCESS]

Got 2 projects from FB groups: 1 business still in startup mode, 2nd business needs SEO services to increase traffic.
Got 1 more project pending, after I finish these 2 projects (blog with thousands of followers on FB, with no website)

Lessons:
1. Keep trying, usually when you feel like giving up, it's best to ask for help or keep trying different approaches, get creative. All you need is ONE yes.
2. See failure as part of the process, it's what in the long-term will help you have intuitive knowledge of what works and doesn't, reading books etc is not enough, you must be willing to try and fail.
3. Visualizing success and having a growth mindset is very important, it will make your journey easier because you know that, no matter what happens, your brain will find a way to get to the destination.

Goals for the next week:
1. Achieve 25% of SEO project target goal (achieved 5% as of now)
2. Sign up to SEO program [MAYBE]
3. Create draft of startup business's website
4. Get hired for a job in AI/Big data/Data science field (in recruitment process as of now)
5. Sleep 5 hours a day instead of 8-10 hours a day (need this because of full time job + projects + programs (courses, etc)

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Following... I'm in a very similar place as you, friend. Let's kick a$$.

silent

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 19, 2020
5. Sleep 5 hours a day instead of 8-10 hours a day (need this because of full time job + projects + programs (courses, etc)
Is this a short term thing hustle like thing? I'm pretty sure less sleep does more damage than you'd think.

Anyway, following this thread as I'm in the process of joining the school too.

Reading your struggle makes me anxious but at the same time, I feel that's what I need to kick my butt into gear.

Good luck with everything and keep documenting it :)

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Is this a short term thing hustle like thing? I'm pretty sure less sleep does more damage than you'd think.

Anyway, following this thread as I'm in the process of joining the school too.

Reading your struggle makes me anxious but at the same time, I feel that's what I need to kick my butt into gear.

Good luck with everything and keep documenting it :)
Recently I started questioning a lot of "common sense" beliefs, one of them being I need 8 hours of sleep to be healthy.

There are a lot of successful people who only sleep 6 or even 4 hours! I'm experimenting different methods. I'm pretty sure these people have found some tricks or methods for themselves. But of course scientists come and say it's all "genetics", I don't buy it. Our mind is capable of adapting to a lot of extreme conditions and there's lots of proof for that (example: Wim Hof)

My goal is to sleep less but still feel rested as if I slept 8 hours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSnbmjWlyZ4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSxbjGXBQg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g2ntIN7JuY

I only drink water. Nothing else. I eat healthy food and exercise 6 times a week.

The group makes a big difference. Because you are surrounded by like minded people with similar goals. And if you really put in the effort but feel like giving up, you can always ask for help and that will give you hope to keep going even when you're ready to quit.
Also it helps that you're paying for the program, so you don't want to "waste" it.

Thank you :), I will keep going, it seems some people are finding value in this thread, so it's another thing that motivates me!

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1. Achieve 25% of SEO project target goal [FAILED]
2. Sign up to SEO program [FAILED]
3. Create draft of startup business's website [FAILED]
4. Get hired for a job in AI/Big data/Data science field (in recruitment process as of now) [FAILED]
5. Sleep 5 hours a day instead of 8-10 hours a day (need this because of full time job + projects + programs (courses, etc) [FAILED]

So a lot of goals for this week.. I've been working almost daily on the SEO project, one step at a time, improving the website. SEO takes time to see results (it can take months..), so this is more of a long-term project.

I'm still thinking of signing up to the SEO program, but first I would like to apply the all the free stuff first to see if that's what I really want to do in the long run.

Only today I got a response to the startup's website plan. So only now I can start working on it.

Didn't get the job at the AI company, no big deal. My current web development job is okay for now, otherwise I think changing jobs at this time will take too much of my energy and focus anyways. But I do plan to switch to AI/Cybersecurity field in the future, because that's the area I want to start a business on. A recruiter from Amazon also contacted me this week, but I declined because their interviews are not easy for sure and I would have to practice code interviews and so, which would take too much energy and time.

Sleeping 5 hours a day really messed up my sleeping pattern.. I'm lucky I have a remote job, otherwise I would be screwed.. I'm going to try 5 hours night, and 1 hour afternoon nap. Or 30 mins lunch and 30 mins afternoon nap. (so 6 hours in total). Maybe this is more realistic.

Lessons:
1. Avoid all distractions, including music, bad environment (messy room, noise, etc), social media, youtube, e-mail, etc. I'm implementing pomodoro technique to stay focused for 30 minutes or more and then take regular breaks (without any distractions). Only let yourself check e-mail, etc. on specific set times (lunch, afternoon, before sleep).
2. Just get started, don't overthink. Use 5 second rule. Don't give your mind time to come up with excuses.
3. Create strict deadlines to force yourself to be more productive (and more creative), if you give yourself too much time, you usually end up using all that time and not accomplish more than if you gave yourself less time to do something.

Goals for the next week:
1. Achieve 25% of SEO project target goal
2. Sign up to SEO program
3. Create draft of startup business's website
5. Sleep 6 hours a day (5hrs at night, 1 or 2 naps - total 1hr during the day)
6. Research how to start a business, officially

Last edited:

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1. Achieve 25% of SEO project target goal [FAILED]
2. Sign up to SEO program [FAILED]
3. Create draft of startup business's website [SUCCESS]
5. Sleep 6 hours a day (5hrs at night, 1 or 2 naps - total 1hr during the day) [FAILED]
6. Research how to start a business, officially [FAILED]

Didn't achieve the target goal for the SEO project yet, but I improved google page speed rankings (went from 25~/100 to 55~/100 for mobile). Again, this is a long-term project. It can take months to see any lasting results.

Was still indecisive about the SEO program, but this week I think I'm going to do it, because in the long run it will be a huge benefit, while in the short-term I will lose some money..

Created the first draft of the startup business's website, I'm making sure it's as good as possible, because in the long run it will help me get more clients (hopefully paying clients).

The sleep experiments have really messed up my routine, so I'm going to postpone this experiment to sometime when I finally have a flexible schedule. So back to 8 hour sleep schedule.

Didn't research anything about starting a business officially. Should've planned this better, I didn't take this goal into account in my daily goals.

Lessons:
1. Focus on the long term. Even though you may lose money, time, happiness in the short term, remember that in the long run it will pay off (it could be weeks, months or even years until you benefit from these short term sacrifices).
2. More hours doesn't mean more productive. A few days ago I started monitoring my daily activities with the help of an app to see where exactly I spent my time on. This drastically improved my focused time (90 minute sprints with 20 minute breaks).
3. Need to be more specific with my goals.
4. Use hard data to make your decisions, don't guess. (eg: google analytics, SEMrush, etc.)
5. Ask for help (lately I've been trying things all on my own and probably If I had asked for help in the facebook groups I signed up to, I would be getting even better results)

Goals for the next week:
  • Research competition (highest volume keywords) and create content/pages based on that (at least one page)
  • Come up with more specific goals to improve website SEO rankings.
2. Sign up to SEO program
3. Write content for startup business's website
  • Write draft content with good SEO.
  • Come up with more specific goals
  • Start thinking of name for business, email, domain, etc.

Last edited:

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
  • Research competition (highest volume keywords) and create content/pages based on that (at least one page) [Researched only]
  • Come up with more specific goals to improve website SEO rankings [Didn't do it]
2. Sign up to SEO program [Done]
3. Write content for startup business's website
  • Write draft content with good SEO. [Half way done]
  • Come up with more specific goals [Done]
  • Start thinking of name for business, email, domain, etc. [Didn't do it]
The progress has been slow. F*ck me.

And now I got invited to join a startup, which is exactly what I wanted (AI/machine learning). I'll work for them for a while and if they like me, I'll join them. I'll mainly be in charge of the tech part (and get reasonable stake at the company), they have 2 clients already, so that's good and it has a lot of potential (they're targeting a specific industry that they're experienced at).

For the startup business project I'm trying to finish it as quickly as possible, because it's already taking too long (For example: I wasted too much time deciding which theme to use etc...Like literally a whole day filtering through themes..). Need to stop overthinking things and get it done.

I can't do much with the SEO project, they are not too open for suggestions. I'll try again with a different plan and different keyword suggestions, perhaps they will listen. If not, I need to move on, there's not much I can do If they don't implement what I have researched (they write the content, so it's outside my control).

Lessons:
1. Implement the previous lessons, enough of writing down lessons if you're not actually implementing them.

Main lessons to implement for the next week:
1. Monitor everything you do. (I made good progress on this, but I can do better. I sometimes forget to tag the tasks I'm doing, so in the end it's not totally accurate how productive I was, I use the app "RescueTime")
2. Be more specific with your goals, create weekly, and daily goals.
3. Stop overthinking things, just get it done. You can always improve later on.

SPECIFIC Goals for the next week:
1. Create the content yourself for the researched keywords (maybe this way they are more likely to implement it).
  • Find and install Wordpress plugin for this specific content type (it's something that can't be done just with pure content)
  • If plugin doesn't fit the theme or it's too buggy/slow, find some other way to implement it
2. Finish the whole startup business website already.
  • Finish and polish the copywriting
  • Finish and polish the layout
  • Test contact form, website responsiveness (mobile, desktop)
  • optimize website speed for SEO
  • optimize content/layout for SEO
3. Research how to start a business, officially

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1. Create the content yourself for the researched keywords (maybe this way they are more likely to implement it).
  • Find and install Wordpress plugin for this specific content type (it's something that can't be done just with pure content) [Didn't do it]
  • If plugin doesn't fit the theme or it's too buggy/slow, find some other way to implement it [Didn't do it]
  • Finish and polish the copywriting [Done]
  • Finish and polish the layout [Done]
  • Test contact form, website responsiveness (mobile, desktop) [Didn't do it]
  • optimize website speed for SEO [Didn't do it]
  • optimize content/layout for SEO [Half way done]
3. Research how to start a business, officially
  • Start thinking of name for business, email, domain, etc. [Didn't do it]

So the startup (this is not related to web design startup above) wanted me to help them before the established date and so I did (which delayed the web design business).
And after 3 days working for them during the weekend and work time (yeah.. I was working remotely at my full time job, so I could do that, but they didn't seem to care or respect my time), so I decided this was not for me.
And worst of all, I was not going to get paid anything until we got funding, and who knows how long will that take.
I believe they will succeed, but probably will take a year or more... And right now I prefer to focus on the web design business. (the startup is almost 2 years old, so another red flag)

But at least I took a 2 week vacation because of them, now I can use that time to focus on the web business.

The website for the startup business is almost done.

Didn't touch the SEO project, and honestly I think I'm moving on to something else already. It's good enough for portfolio.

Lessons:
1. Think through before making a decision, don't try to do too many things at once. Say NO to things don't help your goals.
2. Don't ever work for free unless you know you're getting something out of it.

1. Got distracted on Youtube 3 days in a row (average 2 hours each day). I must cut all distractions completely. I'm blocking everything to make sure it doesn't happen. I can't rely on will power alone. I must understand my limits.

1. Research how to start a business, officially
  • Create portfolio website
    • Find theme
    • Buy a vps
    • Get site up and running (maintenance mode)
  • Work on SEO of portfolio website to rank well on Google
    • Site layout
    • Copy writing
  • Test contact form, website responsiveness (mobile, desktop)
  • optimize website speed for SEO
  • optimize content/layout for SEO

mbjay40

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Aug 19, 2020
London
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum and reading your thread I felt like I had to come and offer my advice to you.

I am also starting my journey in web design and will sign up today with Fox's school.

I have already managed to get 2 projects for my portfolio that I completed yesterday (took me a month to build 2 websites from scratch).

What I wanted to add here is to find some "famous" Instagram users and see with them if they need a website or anything to boost their online presence.
For example those who are into yoga, it would be a great thing for them to have a website where they could put their calendar of when they offer courses online etc... Or even just an "online business card".

I had friend who is a yoga teacher and I immediately thought about her for one of my first projects because I knew it would be simple. A one page website with a few pictures, some text et voila !

Now, there is one thing I got out of Unscripted is the feedback loop which is very important to keep yourself motivated and stimulate motivation.
I have created myself a sheet of paper where I have 4 most important tasks to be done for the day and when I see that days after days I'm able to get through them it motivates me even more to do them the next day. Also so I don't break the "streak".
Except for Sundays where I relax and do other things.

My point here is don't be too harsh on yourself too.

Keep going though, you're on the right track :D

Jay

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum and reading your thread I felt like I had to come and offer my advice to you.

I am also starting my journey in web design and will sign up today with Fox's school.

I have already managed to get 2 projects for my portfolio that I completed yesterday (took me a month to build 2 websites from scratch).

What I wanted to add here is to find some "famous" Instagram users and see with them if they need a website or anything to boost their online presence.
For example those who are into yoga, it would be a great thing for them to have a website where they could put their calendar of when they offer courses online etc... Or even just an "online business card".

I had friend who is a yoga teacher and I immediately thought about her for one of my first projects because I knew it would be simple. A one page website with a few pictures, some text et voila !

Now, there is one thing I got out of Unscripted is the feedback loop which is very important to keep yourself motivated and stimulate motivation.
I have created myself a sheet of paper where I have 4 most important tasks to be done for the day and when I see that days after days I'm able to get through them it motivates me even more to do them the next day. Also so I don't break the "streak".
Except for Sundays where I relax and do other things.

My point here is don't be too harsh on yourself too.

Keep going though, you're on the right track :D

Jay

Hey Jay,

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the tips. The Instagram users sounds like a good idea, I'll try that one.

About the "not being harsh on yourself", unfortunately that advice doesn't work for me. The only way for me is to toughen up and get started regardless if I feel like it or not.

The start for me is the hardest part, after that it is easy to gain momentum and keep going.

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1. Research how to start a business, officially
  • Start thinking of name for business, email, domain, etc. [Done]
  • Create portfolio website
    • Find theme [Done]
    • Buy a vps [Done]
    • Get site up and running (maintenance mode) [Done]
  • Work on SEO of portfolio website to rank well on Google
    • Site layout [Done]
    • Copy writing [Partially done]
  • Test contact form, website responsiveness (mobile, desktop) [Done]
  • optimize website speed for SEO [Done]
  • optimize content/layout for SEO [Done]

Finished the website project, now I'm waiting for feedback.
I ended up working on the SEO project again, just plugin installation and configured it to be the same as their theme.

I'm still working on my portfolio project.

Lessons:
  1. Done is better than perfect
1. Do the most important thing first.

1. Finish copy writing for my portfolio website
2. Start prospecting again and find a new project (payed project)

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
I'm going to change how I journal from now on. Instead of focusing on goals, I'm going to focus on the process.

Focusing on the goals has been too much pressure on myself and I end up procrastinating and fear being judged posting my failures here.

My goal from now on is to get started and work X numbers of hours. It doesn't matter if I don't achieve the goals (I won't even post my goals). Otherwise focusing on the goals paralyzes me and I don't even start because in my mind I "failed" before I even started.

Tired of feeling like shit the whole week because I dread posting my failures here.

View: https://youtu.be/qjBdcyueom8

This week:

So from now on, I'll be posting a screenshot of my weekly activities.
My main goal is to minimize "Entertainment" and maximize "Business".

Tomorrow vacation is over. So now I have full-time job + web business.

Last edited:

Oh Shift!

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 26, 2020
Canada
Nope, you're actually brave posting you're process. I can relate to you as I try to work on so many things at the same time, feeling short on time, and other excuses then gets demotivated. So, I'm starting back to square one working on myself, mindset and habits. If you've read atomic habits ( as recommended by fastlaners) the book says to build habits around the goal get better 1% everyday and so on. Try to get sleep 7.5 hrs first, then 7 and so on, trying to get 5 hours is a very big jump from 8.

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Nope, you're actually brave posting you're process. I can relate to you as I try to work on so many things at the same time, feeling short on time, and other excuses then gets demotivated. So, I'm starting back to square one working on myself, mindset and habits. If you've read atomic habits ( as recommended by fastlaners) the book says to build habits around the goal get better 1% everyday and so on. Try to get sleep 7.5 hrs first, then 7 and so on, trying to get 5 hours is a very big jump from 8.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I've read James Clear's articles. You're right, in the long-run I want this to be a habit, not something that I have to do by sheer will power

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Some people have been asking what I think of this program. I will copy/paste the answer here, if anyone else wants to know:

I believe the course is super valuable. Just think of it this way: it's years of experience condensed into a blueprint that you can use to guide yourself to start a business.

We have live calls with experts (web design, SEO, copywriting, you name it).
Live calls with each other and share a lot of valuable insights. There's some people who are making more than 10k and they are sharing valuable information.

But in the end, it comes down to you. I speak this for myself. I haven't been taking full advantage of this course. My mindset is very bad. But it's my fault, they gave me the resources and help that I need. But in the end it comes down to me to make the choice and go all in on this.

So I'm not going to tell you to sign up or not to sign up. Just be honest with yourself, are you willing to sign up for the course and put in a LOT of effort? Do you think you can handle failure? Do you have time to do this program?

Personally, I have been procrastinating. And also have very low confidence that I'm going to succeed. But again, it's my own fault. I haven't been putting enough effort nor I have been using the resources they gave me to improve my mindset (in the beginning I was going ALL IN and had a very good mindset), but after a while, my mindset got worse and worse. But I'm going back again and set myself some goals again. Otherwise, without goals, I keep delaying it for the future.

Perhaps having a job that I actually enjoy (I recently changed to a dream position within the company I'm working) wasn't good for this, because my main reason to start this business was to escape 9-5 and be financially independent, but when I'm enjoying my job with a decent salary (it's not that great compared to US salaries, but for where I live it's not too bad), it gets comfortable..

This program may be good for you if:
1. you hate your job
2. want to be financially independent
3. want to learn business skills
4. surround yourself with like minded people
5. have nothing better to do with your free time
6. want to start a business, but are very risk averse
7. learn how to sell

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Have you tried heavy metals and parasites detox ? I've witnessed that to be a game changer in Autism, along with cbd oil. Good Luck.

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1603053347371.pngI need to start setting goals again. Haven't made any progress since I finished the projects.. Only a few prospecting then quit.

1. Prospect 5 times/day (email, cold call, whatever) until I find a paying project.
2. Create SEO landing page for my portfolio website/improve SEO

Attachments

• 1603053263964.png
    1603053263964.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 2

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Update on last week's goal:
1. Prospect 5 times/day (email, cold call, whatever) until I find a paying project. [DONE] (Sent 20 e-mails, but haven't got any paying project yet)
2. Create SEO landing page for my portfolio website/improve SEO [NOT DONE]
1603721260820.png

1. Prospect 5 times/day (email, cold call, whatever) until I find a paying project.

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
1. Prospect 5 times/day (email, cold call, whatever) until I find a paying project. [Not done]
2. Create SEO landing page for my portfolio website/improve SEO [In progress]

1604352875920.pngSPECIFIC Goals for the next week:

mastermind007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2020
Have been dealing with personal issues last 2 weeks. And has been really hard to stay focused. But I'm not going to give up.

1. Prospect 5 times/day (email, cold call, whatever) until I find a paying project. [Not done]
2. Create SEO landing page for my portfolio website/improve SEO [Not done]

1605363494356.png
1605363518506.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.