The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Going Off-Road, Finally - Starting A Web Design Business

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

mastermind007

Contributor
Jan 3, 2020
So I finally decided to take a plunge into the unknown. I've been dreaming about this for the longest time now.. Since maybe 17 years old, I'm 24 now.
Too much reading and no action. So I finally decided to sign up to the program: Fox Web School

I have a full-time job at the moment (web development), I have enough money to quit at any moment or live with my parents if needed. But I'm very risk averse, so even this for me is "off-road".

I'm kinda bummed that I couldn't do it on my own. But I have to swallow my pride and stop bullshitting myself.
I'm going to document my journey as time goes on.

Goals for this week:
-Find first portfolio project

(Any suggestions to improve how I journal my progress or my execution are welcome)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
mastermind007

mastermind007

Contributor
Jan 3, 2020
Hello everyone,

So a little update on my first goal:
-Find first portfolio project [FAILED]

Why I think I failed:
1. I stressed out at work and because of that I wasted 2 evenings procrastinating that could've been used to continue looking for more clients and practice sales conversations.
2. The rest of the days weren't as efficient as they could be. Should've been approaching more businesses and improve my approach, instead of researching and practicing sales conversations, when I have no idea if they will respond to me.
3. The next stage is holding me back, because I'm afraid if I do find someone interested, I will fail at the sales conversation.

Leads that I got and its progress:
  • Old friend of mine, a DJ:
    • For now this lead is out (mistake: should've used AIDA tactic, because I completely failed to grab his attention, should've been more direct and that maybe would've sparked his interest)
  • Relative of mine has a drop shipping business, and friends thinking of starting a business
    • Bad leads (in the long term, because if it doesn't increase sales, it's just another useless website)
  • Mother knows someone who has a skin care business:
    • Good lead but I'm still waiting for more info (if the business is still running etc), so I can contact the person
  • Niche industry, with big contracts, bad website:
    • My best lead. Got this lead through my father, he works at the company. Someone in charge of sales at the company told him it could of their interest. So with the help of the Fox FB group I composed an e-mail and I'm going to send it to the commercial manager.
    • But I'm kinda nervous, because if they do actually contact me back, I will have to have a sales conversation with them and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, so I've been practicing some sales conversations.
    • My other worry is that, this could be inefficient, since I don't know if they will actually contact me. So I'm going with my gut now and practicing and once I feel comfortable, I will start looking for more leads.

Some lessons I learned:
  • Don't waste too much time overthinking sales conversations, etc. Start small, contact the businesses first and learn from those approaches, once you got that, move to the next stage.
  • Develop a tough skin, don't let anything stress you. It makes things worse. Rejection and failure is part of the process, it means you're learning, you might feel like you're not learning, but your brain is smart, it recognizes patterns (of what works and doesn't) so trust the process and make an effort to learn.
  • Just get started, apply the 5 sec rule (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQHg-E2HmU). Gain momentum, don't let your thoughts BS you. Stop action faking. If you had a gun pointed to your head, you would not think twice to get started.
I feel a bit overwhelmed, on the one hand I want to approach more businesses on the other I don't feel ready to have a decent sales conversation (even tho I'm planning to do it for free)

Maybe I'm overthinking... Trying to avoid the dreaded sales conversation.

Goals for this week:
1. Look for more leads
2. Start working on first portfolio project

luqazs

New Contributor
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia
Hello everyone,

So a little update on my first goal:
-Find first portfolio project [FAILED]

Why I think I failed:
1. I stressed out at work and because of that I wasted 2 evenings procrastinating that could've been used to continue looking for more clients and practice sales conversations.
2. The rest of the days weren't as efficient as they could be. Should've been approaching more businesses and improve my approach, instead of researching and practicing sales conversations, when I have no idea if they will respond to me.
3. The next stage is holding me back, because I'm afraid if I do find someone interested, I will fail at the sales conversation.

Leads that I got and its progress:
  • Old friend of mine, a DJ:
    • For now this lead is out (mistake: should've used AIDA tactic, because I completely failed to grab his attention, should've been more direct and that maybe would've sparked his interest)
  • Relative of mine has a drop shipping business, and friends thinking of starting a business
    • Bad leads (in the long term, because if it doesn't increase sales, it's just another useless website)
  • Mother knows someone who has a skin care business:
    • Good lead but I'm still waiting for more info (if the business is still running etc), so I can contact the person
  • Niche industry, with big contracts, bad website:
    • My best lead. Got this lead through my father, he works at the company. Someone in charge of sales at the company told him it could of their interest. So with the help of the Fox FB group I composed an e-mail and I'm going to send it to the commercial manager.
    • But I'm kinda nervous, because if they do actually contact me back, I will have to have a sales conversation with them and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, so I've been practicing some sales conversations.
    • My other worry is that, this could be inefficient, since I don't know if they will actually contact me. So I'm going with my gut now and practicing and once I feel comfortable, I will start looking for more leads.

Some lessons I learned:
  • Don't waste too much time overthinking sales conversations, etc. Start small, contact the businesses first and learn from those approaches, once you got that, move to the next stage.
  • Develop a tough skin, don't let anything stress you. It makes things worse. Rejection and failure is part of the process, it means you're learning, you might feel like you're not learning, but your brain is smart, it recognizes patterns (of what works and doesn't) so trust the process and make an effort to learn.
  • Just get started, apply the 5 sec rule (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQHg-E2HmU). Gain momentum, don't let your thoughts BS you. Stop action faking. If you had a gun pointed to your head, you would not think twice to get started.
I feel a bit overwhelmed, on the one hand I want to approach more businesses on the other I don't feel ready to have a decent sales conversation (even tho I'm planning to do it for free)

Maybe I'm overthinking... Trying to avoid the dreaded sales conversation.

Goals for this week:
1. Look for more leads
When it comes to sales I highly recommend Jordan Belfort. He taught me sooo much

OP
OP
mastermind007

mastermind007

Contributor
Jan 3, 2020
Update on last weeks goal:
1. Look for more leads
2. Start working on first portfolio project [FAILED]

Found more leads and contacted them, none of them has lead to a sales conversation. Some of them had a few phone calls, said they were interested, then not anymore (wasted my time basically).

Lessons:
1. Tone of voice, enthusiasm, etc. matters a lot on phone calls (first call went very well, second call not so much and I think that may have lost the interest)
2. Since I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, I'm going brute force this week and find as many prospects as possible.
3. Nobody seems to give a shit if I do it for free. I might as well not say anything about the cost. Then weed out the ones who are really interested and are not.
4. One of the leads was interested but when I said I lived in a city (4+ hours far away) he no longer was interested, so I guess being near me matters a lot

Goals for the next week:
1. Contact 10 businesses per day = 7 X 10 = 70 businesses this week

ocricci

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 20, 2013
Hey,

go for it, Fox is an amazing mentor =)

An idea: Record yourself talking to prospects then listen to it and pick where you can improve ( tone, words , etc.. )

OP
OP
mastermind007

mastermind007

Contributor
Jan 3, 2020
When it comes to sales I highly recommend Jordan Belfort. He taught me sooo much
Thank you, I watched this before a call yesterday and made a huge difference:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLp5tY2RZEI

Hey,

go for it, Fox is an amazing mentor =)

An idea: Record yourself talking to prospects then listen to it and pick where you can improve ( tone, words , etc.. )
Yeah I've been recording myself, it helps a lot to improve fast

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I'm thinking about joining the program. How is it like joining from Asia (Japan specifically)...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom