The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GLOBAL COPYWRITING DOMINATION! (A Gentleman's Guide)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
2f4gbg.jpg

HELLO EVERYONE!

After finally settling down into my new unit and getting my laptop back. I'm excited to dive back into the copy world again.

Today I started applying for jobs on Upwork again and I was looking at other forums about the frustration lately with the site and lack of customer responses, so here's just my two cents from someone who applied a lot of @Lex DeVille 's teachings.

I do have a few things I do specifically on Upwork, you might already use them but here ya go.

1.) I always check other reviews to find out the clients name and make sure to address them first thing in the application (People are always attracted to their name
)

2.) I don't usually over list my abilities but instead, go for benefits to the client that I will provide instead of laundry listing shit about meeeee

3.) If they provide an example of what they're looking for (EX: an Amazon listing) I'll just make an improved copy for free of one sample page and send it to them free of charge.

Now until today, I had never tried applying for copy jobs outside of Upwork but I was hit with this idea while browsing through Amazon

I decided to try this approach. I'd google something on Amazon that I have a serious interest in, for this example, I googled (Goku Tank-top) which is part of an animated show I really love. And the Amazon listings for the two top tank tops were extremely different. The links below

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCK3EK2/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 (Bad)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07932SBP7/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 (Good)

So I contacted the company and I said that I'm a big fan of their tank top and that I like their shortness and simplicity in their listing but that the other listings on their site are so much more engaging and detailed, and that I've written another listing for them that I think they'd like and if they do I'd love to work further with them.

And in the middle of writing this, I got a response from the company!

I will write later and I hope that there can be some value in it for anyone trying to nuzzle their way into copy for the first time!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
It's good to see someone taking their copywriting skills out of the comfort zone of these huge freelancing sites and contacting potential customers in the same way a true professional would.

I've done my share of copywriting on Upwork and Fiverr and although it can be quite profitable at times, nothing beats direct customer contact with people/businesses who could use some help to up their game.

Looking forward to see how this plays out for you.

P.S. I would even suggest taking everything a step further and slowly creating a LinkedIn profile for yourself and a simple Wordpress site where people can reach you (the website can also be used as a "blog" to attract people/businesses trying to learn copy).

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
2fkz1a.jpg

UPDATE (8/9/18)

My first successful whitepaper

Hope everyone is doing well, earlier this week I contacted a startup company in China that sells on Alibaba after I had taken a look at their sales page and website which was pretty awful, to be frank.

I sent them a revised version of their sales page and they were impressed and asked to have a white paper written for a few hundred dollars.

I'm super pleased that direct contact has been working out and I think there are more ways to reach out or shine to potential customers on websites other than Upwork, etc.

I've also received my initial enlistment bonus and I want to use it to start importing a product or open the door to offering a bigger service, not sure yet, I'd like to brainstorm with anyone who has ideas to pitch in.

Have a good one!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
2f4gbg.jpg

HELLO EVERYONE!

After finally settling down into my new unit and getting my laptop back. I'm excited to dive back into the copy world again.

Today I started applying for jobs on Upwork again and I was looking at other forums about the frustration lately with the site and lack of customer responses, so here's just my two cents from someone who applied a lot of @Lex DeVille 's teachings.

I do have a few things I do specifically on Upwork, you might already use them but here ya go.

1.) I always check other reviews to find out the clients name and make sure to address them first thing in the application (People are always attracted to their name
)

2.) I don't usually over list my abilities but instead, go for benefits to the client that I will provide instead of laundry listing sh*t about meeeee

3.) If they provide an example of what they're looking for (EX: an Amazon listing) I'll just make an improved copy for free of one sample page and send it to them free of charge.

Now until today, I had never tried applying for copy jobs outside of Upwork but I was hit with this idea while browsing through Amazon

I decided to try this approach. I'd google something on Amazon that I have a serious interest in, for this example, I googled (Goku Tank-top) which is part of an animated show I really love. And the Amazon listings for the two top tank tops were extremely different. The links below

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCK3EK2/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 (Bad)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07932SBP7/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 (Good)

So I contacted the company and I said that I'm a big fan of their tank top and that I like their shortness and simplicity in their listing but that the other listings on their site are so much more engaging and detailed, and that I've written another listing for them that I think they'd like and if they do I'd love to work further with them.

And in the middle of writing this, I got a response from the company!

I will write later and I hope that there can be some value in it for anyone trying to nuzzle their way into copy for the first time!
Sweeet.

Although I am getting some work on Upwork, I had better pull my head out of my a$$ to think outside the box....

I'm surprised you do have time to do freelancing even in the army. I thought they might have a lot of work to do, especially for new soldiers.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Sweeet.

Although I am getting some work on Upwork, I had better pull my head out of my a$$ to think outside the box....

I'm surprised you do have time to do freelancing even in the army. I thought they might have a lot of work to do, especially for new soldiers.

You're absolutely correct, but I manage to squeeze in 2 hours by voiding some sleep.

PromoteContent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 15, 2018
This is great!

Here's real rookie question; did you just send them an email or a message? No cold calling or Skyping?

Would you say that there is a great demand for b2b copywriting based on your experiences so far?
2fkz1a.jpg

UPDATE (8/9/18)

Hope everyone is doing well, earlier this week I contacted a startup company in China that sells on Alibaba after I had taken a look at their sales page and website which was pretty awful, to be frank.

I sent them a revised version of their sales page and they were impressed and asked to have a white paper written for a few hundred dollars.

I'm super pleased that direct contact has been working out and I think there are more ways to reach out or shine to potential customers on websites other than Upwork, etc.

I've also received my initial enlistment bonus and I want to use it to start importing a product or open the door to offering a bigger service, not sure yet, I'd like to brainstorm with anyone who has ideas to pitch in.

Have a good one!
[/QUOTE]

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
This is great!

Here's real rookie question; did you just send them an email or a message? No cold calling or Skyping?

Would you say that there is a great demand for b2b copywriting based on your experiences so far?
2fkz1a.jpg

UPDATE (8/9/18)

Have a good one!
[/QUOTE]

I just sent them an E-mail, I haven't done much cold-calling.

I'd say there is always a need for copy, you just have to find the clients in low competitive sites or if your on a place like Upwork, value overhaul.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.