The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

GOLD! I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

maverick

Unorthodox Nonconformist
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2012
You'll need a minimum of 5k to get a decent start. That is the working assumption of this topic so let's keep it that way. Any other topics (e.g. retail arbitrage) should be treated outside of this topic.

IGP

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 24, 2015
So this looks like a really good product to sell.
https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Thumb-Sucking-Thumbusters-Pink/dp/B0016P8K3W

A lot of reviews, but they are mostly negative.
Product needs customization, new design to make it work properly.
A TON of search volume.
Really stiff competition, but mostly from a different kind of product.
Lightweight, easy to ship and relatively cheap.

With a few modifications and improvements, you could sell it for $25-$30 or more I bet, as the only similar product worth a shit is selling for $60.

Solves a HUGE pain point.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Dec 13, 2017
dallas texas

A TON of search volume.

With a few modifications and improvements, you could sell it for $25-$30 or more I bet, as the only similar product worth a sh*t is selling for $60.

might i ask how you ended up finding this product??

usually i look through the movers and shakers on amazon and then start searching terms similar to the product. so it goes something like: fitness >> wire dumbell stopper >> wire tools >> etc.
i start from a niche and search down until i find an item. but so far this method hasn't been very fruitful. wondering how you found this thumb sucker. was it a personal problem you've experienced children do?

IGP

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 24, 2015
might i ask how you ended up finding this product??

usually i look through the movers and shakers on amazon and then start searching terms similar to the product. so it goes something like: fitness >> wire dumbell stopper >> wire tools >> etc.
i start from a niche and search down until i find an item. but so far this method hasn't been very fruitful. wondering how you found this thumb sucker. was it a personal problem you've experienced children do?
No process to speak of... AMZ is relatively new to me, so you're better off asking @biophase or another seasoned vet.

I found this product doing research for something entirely different. Sometimes you just have to go down the rabbit hole and keep digging deeper and deeper.

TKDTyler

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2014

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I have a question and I believe this is probably best place to ask.

If some one has limited funds say $1000 bucks to start with, he/she may not be in a position to go for modifications or improvements. Probably not even rebranding as $1000 may not give you enough quantity for private labeling.

In that situation does it makes sense to just start with reselling a product you have researched, generate some cash and then at later stage (when you have gathered enough funds) look for improvement in same or some other product? How does folks who started with $200, $500 , $1000 managed this find, improve, sell strategy?
You can import with that money , buildup to an amount big enough for manufacturing a newish item and private labelling.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
I have a product that has been on my mind for a bit now, but I'm hesitant/unsure if it's a solid one. Would love some feedback on it.

Here's the link

What I would improve based on feedback:
- add stop function (easy)
- reduce noise (unsure, would need to take it apart)
- improve looks to differentiate from competition (no decent real-life photos etc)
- Bundle with batteries
- Improve durability somehow.. loads of complaints.

Cons:
- Electric
- "low" search volume - 55K/month?
- 1 brand/person selling this, even though it's a product straight from alibaba (is this good or bad?) (I'm unsure if there is enough organic demand)
- Not sure if the margins are good enough ; guesstimate at ~53% profit using FBA calculator - buy around $2 - sell for $20
- Current quality is bad (but leaves room for improvement, so might a pro)

Pros:
- Easy improvement (bundle with battery & stop function)
- Only 1 other competitor
- Small product
- No huge MOQ (though I realize this is always negotiable)

Thanks in advance!

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
I imported a product that I suggested in this thread btw:

I only did a small order of 5 units. I had a container coming from China anyways so thought I would just add it in my container.

I added 3 pictures, some lame copy as a placeholder. I also don't have the buy box and still sold 2 units. AND I'm already ranked on page 1 in my main keyword. I think this would be an easy sell with the buy box (using FBA).

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
www.provenchinasourcing.com
I have a question and I believe this is probably best place to ask.

If some one has limited funds say $1000 bucks to start with, he/she may not be in a position to go for modifications or improvements. Probably not even rebranding as $1000 may not give you enough quantity for private labeling.

In that situation does it makes sense to just start with reselling a product you have researched, generate some cash and then at later stage (when you have gathered enough funds) look for improvement in same or some other product? How does folks who started with $200, $500 , $1000 managed this find, improve, sell strategy?
You can purchase a small quantity as a sample order. Ignore MOQs. Don't ask for labels to be attached. Depending on product type you have numerous possibilities for post-production labeling, whether simply printing a label or using more expensive means such as foil printing or foil stamping.

Whatever method you choose, make it look impressive. If you need help in that regard PM me.

I believe that when testing the market it is far better to use your brand name, logo, packaging, etc, that you intend maintaining as you build a brand. You can do that quite economically with small quantities.

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
www.provenchinasourcing.com
I have a product that has been on my mind for a bit now, but I'm hesitant/unsure if it's a solid one. Would love some feedback on it.

Here's the link

- improve looks to differentiate from competition (no decent real-life photos etc)
- Bundle with batteries

Cons:
- Electric
- 1 brand/person selling this, even though it's a product straight from alibaba (is this good or bad?) (I'm unsure if there is enough organic demand)
- Not sure if the margins are good enough ; guesstimate at ~53% profit using FBA calculator - buy around $2 - sell for $20

Pros:
- Small product

Thanks in advance!
I see two vendors on Amazon, but that's not much competition. The price doesn't give you much room to spare, so you will need to do your cost calculations very carefully.

I have one of these machines and it does work like a dream, but the instructions on Amazon omit a very important factor: The opener has a tendency to lift at the other end opposite the cutting wheel. A gentle downwards pressure with one finger is sufficient to keep it rotating.

The added jar/bottle opener, doesn't look easy to use, because people with arthritis in the hands could have trouble squeezing it tight enough to make it work.

I have PM'd you with a description of the product I use. It is not sold in the kitchenware market, because it is designed for use in a totally unrelated industry.

Walter

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll drop this here. Here is a low volume niche for someone looking to start out.

There are definitely ways to stand out from most of the products here
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=aging+barrel

A good execution could probably pull $500-$1000 profit a month if you land in the top 5 for aging barrels.
Damn, that is a lot of competition for that product, with prices all over the place. I can’t tell from the photos how big that product is. So how would you stand out? I guess I would stand out by changing color of the barrels, probably making them look black.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I imported a product that I suggested in this thread btw:

I only did a small order of 5 units. I had a container coming from China anyways so thought I would just add it in my container.

I added 3 pictures, some lame copy as a placeholder. I also don't have the buy box and still sold 2 units. AND I'm already ranked on page 1 in my main keyword. I think this would be an easy sell with the buy box (using FBA).
Nice! I hope I gave that product a thumbs up or did I slam it and you proved me wrong?

TKDTyler

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2014
Damn, that is a lot of competition for that product, with prices all over the place. I can’t tell from the photos how big that product is. So how would you stand out? I guess I would stand out by changing color of the barrels, probably making them look black.
If I were to try and differentiate, here are some options that came to mind (incoming brain dump):

1. I would start off with visual differentiation. Most of these are straight oak - I would attempt to target a section of the market that uses it for decorative piece while using it as an aging barrel. That means using different luxurious finishes/polish/gloss/bands/etc. The barrel is part of a story - help people tell the story of their whiskey.

This listing is attempting something similar: https://www.amazon.com/Barrel-Wooden-Storage-Spirits-Barrels/dp/B072BYF2TP/ref=pd_sbs_79_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B072BYF2TP&pd_rd_r=R205B4QQZ3XQ6FW4ERXH&pd_rd_w=dDDmH&pd_rd_wg=srJsU&psc=1&refRID=R205B4QQZ3XQ6FW4ERXH

There are a lot of different sizes, just depends on what you are looking for. 2L looks to be the best seller ($60 versions mostly). This listing is a 5L using for aging large batches of alcohol. 2L is great for aging a bottle of your favorite scotch/whiskey.

2. Improve the leaking issues in a bunch of the listings.

3. Maybe create a more generalized, fun burn-in image. Instead of "tequila" or "rum," make it more playful.
Something people can relate to and laugh.

"The worlds best F*cking rum you'll never taste."

Really, just moving it from a tradition piece into a quirky, personable piece. You can see this in those wine glasses/coffee cups with random phrases on it. I hope that made sense, and I have no clue if it would work/sell well. Just another way to differentiate from what everybody else is doing.

4. Customized or luxury spiggot

All that said, the demand may not be worth the effort.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Would love your feedback @biophase :innocent: :halo:

Here's the link

- Bundle with batteries

Cons:
- Electric

Pros:
- Small product

Thanks in advance!

jon.M

The Well Defined Forum Member
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Europe
www.thefastlaneforum.com
Dogs become less agile as they get older, and a lot of them experience problems with their hips due to age and arthritis. That's why this product came up in mind:

A dog ramp
https://www.amazon.com/Paws-Pals-Supports-Portable-Tri-Fold/dp/B0754PHHKK/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1523963441&sr=1-5&keywords=dog+ramp

Problem: Most ramps can be slippery. Some of them are made entirely out of plastic, which seems to give the worst grip of all. People report that they solve this by taping indoor carpets to the ramp instead.

Possible solution: Give the ramp some kind of knurled rubber surface to improve grip. Rubber, in order to make it more resistant to moisture and avoid a funky smell.

Problem: It's too steep for larger cars. Some ramps are too narrow and weak for bigger dogs to walk on them safely.

Possible solution: Different models for different types of cars? For example, a shorter ramp for sedans, and a longer ramp for higher SUVs? A more narrow ramp for small dogs, which is more lightweight as well. A wider ramp made out of stronger material for larger dogs.

Smaller issues found in reviews:

• If you leave it in the sun, ramps made in black material can get hot and burn a dog's paws. Solve it by making them in white or another reflective color.
  • People get mad because it's too expensive to return faulty product. Better return policy/guarantee? "You won't have to return it, we'll still refund you if you provide a photo of the problem"?

Last edited:

jimmeboy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Nov 24, 2009

A TON of search volume.

With a few modifications and improvements, you could sell it for $25-$30 or more I bet, as the only similar product worth a sh*t is selling for $60.

Interesting one! The goldmine of negative feedback is your roadmap to success with this.

Didn't see a thumbs up or down for this yet (unless I missed it). What's the verdict @biophase ?

Evil_Jester

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
"Post pics of your latest purchase Pt 6"
Link -->> Misc.

This thread shows up a lot on that forum. Thought I'd drop it here. Try not to laugh on the second page! :rofl:

Evil_Jester

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I recently started playing ultimate frisbee. Here are things I would consider buying for it:
1. After 2-3 hours I'm sweaty! https://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Protector-Waterproof-Sweatproof-Universal/dp/B0728C52ZV/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1525916914&sr=8-6&keywords=car+seat+towel
Could there be added value? I like the seatbelt cover. There is lot's of competition and people would need a reason to not just use their bath towel.
2. A plastic cleat brush. My cleats get caked with mud. I wouldn't want a bristle brush because that would have to be cleaned out. I like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mudslinger-Footwear-Cleaning-baseball-football/dp/B079M6ZVNR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525917152&sr=8-2&keywords=soccer+cleats+scraper In other categories there are a lot of crappy brushes. There doesn't seem to be too many good products for "cleat scraper"
3. My calves are toast for the next 3 days after playing. This product almost makes me want to buy for myself, but I know I should avoid electronics: https://www.amazon.com/LiveFine-Air-Leg-Compression-Massager/dp/B079ZBY814/ref=pd_day0_121_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079ZBY814&pd_rd_r=8VXW4GRN8TVYA0RST8BZ&pd_rd_w=XSNfu&pd_rd_wg=dfYu4&psc=1&refRID=8VXW4GRN8TVYA0RST8BZ
4. Also, I feel like I could use this right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZX1VKM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1 But I wouldn't buy it to sell on amazon, could be a good ebay product. I sent a pricing message to an Alibaba manufacturer out of curiosity.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
I found when using this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harris-731-Premier-Extension-Pole/dp/B006IMXQK0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 at work that the twisty parts are very hard to turn when your hands are wet. When extending the pole out you also dont know where the pole ends so it often falls out and you have to place it back in.There is also gutter shoes that you need to twist on at the top that come loose when using it and is very annoying when you're on top of a ladder.
I was thinking this could be improved by removing the twist mechanism and putting in clips and also a clip at the top to keep the gutter shoe in. Then for extending it there would be a red warning label saying stop when you get close the end of the extension.
This product has good reviews but I think it could be improved even better. The gutter shoes are small and the pole fold down to about a meter and a half and the package sells for around £40.
How do you go about getting things like this made?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
For anyone that is interested, I took the Rock Climbing Hang Board and did a test order of 10 units.

After the 4th sale, I was already at the bottom of page one of "hangboard" and "hang board". I sold all of the 10 units in roughly 35 days with 0 PPC.

I started selling them for $29.99 ( I did not even have the buy box in the beginning) and slowly increased to $52.99. All using FBM. Imagine the potential when using PPC and FBA.

I have to look back but I believe I bought them for $21 with nice white box and foam inserts. If someone wanted to do this, I would buy a lot more than 10 units and try to get the price down to $17. Like what biophase said, you wont get rich off this product but I can see you doing at least $1k in profits a month. I will take this down if someone wants to continue with this

annagreenang

New Contributor
Jul 6, 2018
Essex, CT
www.onlinecheck.com
Ok, I'll give this a shot. Although I have little to no intention of following through with this particular item (that means it's ok to steal this idea), I think the process is what's important.

The Problem
I have 10 foot ceilings at my retail store. I am also responsible for changing the light bulbs, which are in recessed housings. So every time a bulb goes out, I have to drag a chair out (shhh, don't tell OSHA), hop up, and change it. I have also previously rented a house with recessed lighting in a 16 foot vaulted ceiling, which is out of chair range. I had to call the landlord and wait a week or two for the light to be replaced.

The Current Solution
There exists light bulb changers for high ceilings. Basically a long pole with an attachment at the end to grip the light bulb. Searching on Amazon, every listing looks the exact same, only different brands and different colors. They all have about 3.5-4 stars.

The Problem with the Current Solution
Looking through the reviews, I have identified several areas that could be improved upon.
1. No carrying case. Since the kits come with several attachments for different bulb types, a cheap case to keep everything together could be a good selling point.
2. No directions. A simple sheet with directions plus some youtube videos would add value.
3. Multiple complaints that the pole is flimsy. Use thicker aluminum and better plastic peices.
4. Pole is too short. It only extends to 11', so a 20' ceiling (or outdoor floods) would still need a ladder. Options are to make the pole longer (which increases weight) or an additional section that can be screwed on if needed.
5. There are reported problems that where the head attachment connects to the pole is pretty flimsy. Some customers have drilled a hole and put an additional screw in place to secure it.
6. Sometimes the head unscrews instead of the light bulb. Needs a better attaching mechanism (One that locks in place). This is the main complaint of 1 star reviews.
7. Some complaints about oddly angled light bulb outlets. I know there are screwdrivers you can get with variable angles, but I'm not sure if this is a big enough pain point.
8. Suction cup is too rigid to adhere to some bulbs. Use a more flexible type of plastic. Also, the head comes unscrewed with stubborn bulbs (see #6).

Anticipated Improvements
The major complaints are the flimsiness and how the heads come unscrewed instead of the light bulbs. Plan to use thicker aluminum for the construction. Also need to engineer a locking mechanism to hold the head to the pole. A cheap carrying case shouldn't add too much to the overall price, but provide a higher perceived value. Use a more flexible plastic for the suction cup.

Drawbacks
The major issue that could crop up is cost. Right now, Alibaba is selling these kits for around $6-$10 each. With the upgrades, I would think it would cost around $15 per kit to produce. The cheap kits retail for about $25, so this kit would be about 2x the cost ($50-$60) in order for it to make financial sense.

So, @biophase , what do you think? Is there potential here?
Thank you for sharing such helpful info. I appreciate it

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers