The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a question. You say you've done R&D, does that mean market research or product research?

If not market research, you think you will have enough time to launch a new website and have enough advertising to target enough in the next 3 months?

Also, was the "R&D" the same advice you gave in the dog fur glove thread? That was great, just curious if there was more to it.
R&D is just on the product. Yes, it's similar to the dog glove. You do the same thing.

I won't have enough time to launch a website. I'm launching on Amazon to some feedback on it.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

CigarMan

Bronze Contributor
Mar 24, 2013
With the trade issues and possible recession in the horizon is this something a new that is worth starting at this point.

Second question I had is how long will it take a new person to learn the ropes assuming some hard work is being done?

NickC

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
@biophase

Product idea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDVVZY4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Current issues from reviewers:
- Plastic had holes
- Tore at zipper
- Hard to set up lack of instructions
- Zipper broke
- Flimsy in wind
- Parts missing
- Too short in height
- Bad customer service

Solutions:
- Better quality materials, better plastic, quality zipper
- Stronger support pieces
- more tie downs for wind
- Quality instructions
- Good customer service

I'm concerned this might be too complicated, but i feel like theres a good amount of room for improvement. What do you think?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase

Product idea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDVVZY4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Current issues from reviewers:
- Plastic had holes
- Tore at zipper
- Hard to set up lack of instructions
- Zipper broke
- Flimsy in wind
- Parts missing
- Too short in height
- Bad customer service

Solutions:
- Better quality materials, better plastic, quality zipper
- Stronger support pieces
- more tie downs for wind
- Quality instructions
- Good customer service

I'm concerned this might be too complicated, but i feel like theres a good amount of room for improvement. What do you think?
The first thing I’d look at is how big and heavy this product is when shipped. Your improvements would probably make it heavier too.

NickC

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
The first thing I’d look at is how big and heavy this product is when shipped. Your improvements would probably make it heavier too.
Would you consider that a deal breaker? Or just more challenges such as storage and shipping costs?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Would you consider that a deal breaker? Or just more challenges such as storage and shipping costs?
You wouldn’t know until you did the research on it. What’s it currently weigh and cost to store?

NickC

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
You wouldn’t know until you did the research on it. What’s it currently weigh and cost to store?
I checked out two listings one was 23.1 pounds the other was about 14. So i took the 23.1 pound one and using amazons revenue calculator.

Monthly storage fee: 0.80$
Fulfillment fee: 16.87$
56.3 x 56.3 x 76.7 inches

Plus, like you said it will most likely become a heavier item.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
www.provenchinasourcing.com
Having owned one of these I found it to deteriorate at an amazing rate, and agree with all the adverse reviews listed.

I was still using it with numerous holes giving some ventilation in the heat, when a strong wind carried it 100 yards or more, over the fence, and dismantled it when it caught in another fence. The push in joiners are easy to use, but easy for the wind to separate.

I have seen ones from various sources and can say that there is not much difference between them. The biggest fault is insufficient UV stabilizer used in the plastic, so it will become brittle quite rapidly.

If you can find one that uses commercial greenhouse quality plastic, it would last a lot longer, but could weigh twice as much. They also need screened ventilation. The zip up door is not the answer, because when open the insects have free entry.

Walter

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So $17 in fulfillment and $10 in commissions. Leaves you with $53 per sale.

The size you posted is after it’s built. You need to find the size it is shipped.

21elnegocio

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 28, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Hey there exclusives88, have you continued with the product? Definitely interested in executing on it since I picked up rock climbing about a year ago and definitely have a passion for the niche.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Started a dropshipping Shopify store a month before reading TMF and Unscripted, now wishing I hadn't since I was looking about the entrepreneurship the wrong way.
Why didn’t you wish you didn’t drop ship ? Isn’t it way to get your foot in the door to start learning ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21elnegocio

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 28, 2012
Tempe, AZ
So this looks like a really good product to sell.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016P8K3W/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

A lot of reviews, but they are mostly negative.
Product needs customization, new design to make it work properly.
A TON of search volume.
Really stiff competition, but mostly from a different kind of product.
Lightweight, easy to ship and relatively cheap.

With a few modifications and improvements, you could sell it for $25-$30 or more I bet, as the only similar product worth a sh*t is selling for $60.

Solves a HUGE pain point.

How do you find the products with most negative reviews ?

yla

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 15, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
How do you find the products with most negative reviews ?

[Just chiming into this thread now]

I personally use a software tool that a lot of other Amazon sellers may use to find product opportunities in the marketplace. The one I use is called JungleScout. There are other ones as well: Viral Launch, Helium 10, etc. I'd say the 3 I named are the most popular.

These tools aren't free, but they all provide a function within their respective web apps that allow you to search through Amazon's product catalog with a bunch of filters. Some of them are average review rating, number of reviews, and estimated monthly revenue.

There's a ton of information about how to best leverage these tools, but to put it simply - you could look for products that have an avg. review rating that is 3.5 or below and does at least $5000 of monthly revenue. This could provide a good starting point to see what types of products are in demand, yet suffer from a poor product on the market.

Hope this helps!

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Alright, I was going to keep this to myself but I wanted to share and get your thoughts. I hired a professional car wash company to come out and wash my car. They washed my car using a water containment mat.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799QW6KD/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

They also have similar mats to put in the garage so you don't get your garage floor dirty.

This product has very little competition. I been tracking sales of the one you put in the garage. I tracked how many they sell by using the 999 add to cart trick. I tracked listings with 30 reviews and listings with only 2 reviews. The 30 review does 10-20 a day. The one with only 2 review sold 4 in the last 4 days (their product only was higher priced). So these products are lower competition, selling for $130 and selling 10+ a day.

The more expensive ones like the link above does at least $15k a month.

A lot of these had bad reviews because they wrinkle, move or starts to rip. You can easily make an improvement and profit at least $3k a month.

The water containment mat can be sold to direct consumers and to businesses.

Thoughts?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Alright, I was going to keep this to myself but I wanted to share and get your thoughts. I hired a professional car wash company to come out and wash my car. They washed my car using a water containment mat.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799QW6KD/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

They also have similar mats to put in the garage so you don't get your garage floor dirty.

This product has very little competition. I been tracking sales of the one you put in the garage. I tracked how many they sell by using the 999 add to cart trick. I tracked listings with 30 reviews and listings with only 2 reviews. The 30 review does 10-20 a day. The one with only 2 review sold 4 in the last 4 days (their product only was higher priced). So these products are lower competition, selling for $130 and selling 10+ a day.

The more expensive ones like the link above does at least $15k a month.

A lot of these had bad reviews because they wrinkle, move or starts to rip. You can easily make an improvement and profit at least $3k a month.

The water containment mat can be sold to direct consumers and to businesses.

Thoughts?
Looks like a decent product to sell. It's about $20 for Amazon to fulfill. Storage is about $1 a month on normal months and then $3 a unit from Oct-Dec, which is probably the time of most sales too.

So just looking at the $145 model, you probably have to land it in the USA for around $50-$60.

I'm sure there will be more competition on this next winter.

CalinPop

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 25, 2019
Hi guys can I just ask what software are you using to find products? If no software what approach?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi guys can I just ask what software are you using to find products? If no software what approach?
Did you read this thread?

AaronIsWoke

New Contributor
Nov 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
Why didn’t you wish you didn’t drop ship ? Isn’t it way to get your foot in the door to start learning ?

I realized that drop shipping was too competitive in the sense that anyone can go out and take your best selling products. The barrier to entry for Amazon FBA is higher, and the custom products you create can add higher value, making them easier to market and gain customers.

21elnegocio

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 28, 2012
Tempe, AZ
I realized that drop shipping was too competitive in the sense that anyone can go out and take your best selling products. The barrier to entry for Amazon FBA is higher, and the custom products you create can add higher value, making them easier to market and gain customers.

Oh I see, so if you had to do it all over again what would you do ?

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 6, 2019
California
@biophase

I will give it a go....

How about something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113IRXPM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

But made specifically for business attire? I always see guys carrying their suit jacket, shirt and slacks separately on a hanger over their shoulder outside of their gym bag.

All the ones I have found are for packing more than just your suits, like a garment bag.

What if I could create one that would roll up similar to how people carry their yoga mats over their shoulder?

Added Value:
Less Wrinkles in your suit
Convenient
Simple / easy to use
Make a less bulkier product
More durable - the bad reviews say the zippers always break

I have sold items on Amazon before and would love to rack your brain on PPC campaigns. PPC's drained any margins I had. But I will save that for another day.

But also, this may have been brought up in the thread before but doesn't selling on Amazon break the CONTROL part of the CENTS Commandments?

SimplyNow

Contributor
Feb 15, 2019
Hi Biophase and other friends,

Thank you for the discussion that you guys have here. I definitely learn a lot as I am reading through the conservation. I really appreciate Biophase is using his precious time to help us find a product to sell. I know you guys mention to add value to the products that we want to sell; however, it seems pretty hard to find such products. I want to get my feet wet by starting importing and selling a product. I have 2 products on my mind, and I would like to hear your thought process on whether I should pursue one of them. The first one is electric towel warmer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4UC3EQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 and the other is Sinde Air purifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JPY5H3V/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Thank you for your help,
Steve

Guts

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 8, 2018
I tell my family and friends that my dream is to own an industrial machine lube factory. I wait for their eyes to glaze over as I envision my simple yet essential operation churning out cash year after year.
I don't think cash is going to be the only thing gushing out of that factory, you got yourself a winner!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Biophase and other friends,

Thank you for the discussion that you guys have here. I definitely learn a lot as I am reading through the conservation. I really appreciate Biophase is using his precious time to help us find a product to sell. I know you guys mention to add value to the products that we want to sell; however, it seems pretty hard to find such products. I want to get my feet wet by starting importing and selling a product. I have 2 products on my mind, and I would like to hear your thought process on whether I should pursue one of them. The first one is electric towel warmer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4UC3EQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 and the other is Sinde Air purifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JPY5H3V/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Thank you for your help,
Steve
Sorry just seeing this now.

I'm going to say no to the towel warmer.

The car air purifier, I see a bunch of them at lower prices with bad reviews. Does the product work well?

SimplyNow

Contributor
Feb 15, 2019
Sorry just seeing this now.

I'm going to say no to the towel warmer.

The car air purifier, I see a bunch of them at lower prices with bad reviews. Does the product work well?
No problem Biophase. Thank you for your reply. After reading your posts and others on this forum, I feel that I cannot add any improvements to the two products I had asked, so I did not buy them. I will try another business idea that fits with the CENTS criteria from MJ's books.

21elnegocio

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 28, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Is there a tutorial somewhere here that shows you step by step how to get into e-commerce ?

fmob007

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 3, 2018
I had a new business that I wanted to launch this December. This business is selling winter product, think skis and snowboards accessory. The problem was that the R&D took so long that by the time October rolled around it was getting way to late to launch in 2018.

The manufacturer had an MOQ of 500 pcs with a price around $30, so it would have been at $15000 initial order. I've been going back and forth with them on then MOQ since if I didn't get these before November, I didn't know if I could move 500 units after Xmas.

Fast forward to yesterday. The R&D is done and it's production order time, but I tell them, we missed the season, I'm not going to order until July. They say that the ski season goes until April. I tell them it goes till March at the latest. Anyway, there's no way I can move 500 units in February and March at the tail end of the ski season. They ask me how many I want. I tell them 100 units. They say OK.

Moral of the story... During the busy season of the factory everyone else is ordering so the factory can give you high MOQs and prices. Now in December, all orders are done so they will take little orders. They agreed to do 100 units at the same price as 500 units.

Something to think about... and to put into your war chest for later on.

Now my order is only $3000. A much less riskier venture. What I will probably do is air ship them and try to get Jan-Mar sales at break even. This will give me good feedback and I can adjust for winter 2019 when my real launch will be.
Could you please tell us a little more about this new business? So, that we'll be able to understand your way of thinking and strategy when entering a new niche?
-Will you launch a single or a series of products?
-How did you come to choose this particular niche-product? That must be a high competitive niche with many well-established players, but with a high demand and variety of products.
-Which products did you choose to start with? Main high competitive products like helmets and boards or supplementary accessories like, I don't know, maybe ski masks, car roof racks or something like that. ( I am not asking for the exact product).
-Did you make major improvements to the product? Like new size, shape and extra features? Or just something like a better packaging, marketing, or listing?
-Would you (and when) launch white label products as well? Is there a certain point of brand recognition that you'd like to reach, with the launching of other improved/differentiated products, before doing that?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Could you please tell us a little more about this new business? So, that we'll be able to understand your way of thinking and strategy when entering a new niche?
Sure I’ve answered the questions below.

-Will you launch a single or a series of products?

Launching a series. 3 from the start.

-How did you come to choose this particular niche-product? That must be a high competitive niche with many well-established players, but with a high demand and variety of products.

The niche isn’t that competitive actually. I identified it 2 years ago and it had one main company. Now it’s got 3.

-Which products did you choose to start with? Main high competitive products like helmets and boards or supplementary accessories like, I don't know, maybe ski masks, car roof racks or something like that. ( I am not asking for the exact product).
-Did you make major improvements to the product? Like new size, shape and extra features? Or just something like a better packaging, marketing, or listing?

Basically copied what was out there for 2 products. Improved the 3rd by better materials. Nothing major for improvements.

-Would you (and when) launch white label products as well? Is there a certain point of brand recognition that you'd like to reach, with the launching of other improved/differentiated products, before doing that?

I’d say the copied ones are basically white label products and the third is the main brand flagship to start.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom