The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From podcasting to newsletters... the new HOT thing?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Was going to post this in the Random Chat thread but thought a separate discussion might be better.

Question: Are Newsletters the new hot thing? Closely behind short videos?

A few years ago it was podcasting and I feel like everyone had a podcast, and if they didn't, they were starting one.

Now I feel like it's "everyone has a newsletter" -- I always see these trends as a function of recent publicity in the space, such as Morning Brew sold for $X millions!

Of course, years ago it was "XYZ Podcast made $X millions! Joe Rogan got a 9-figure contract!"

Your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Was going to post this in the Random Chat thread but thought a separate discussion might be better.

Question: Are Newsletters the new hot thing? Closely behind short videos?

A few years ago it was podcasting and I feel like everyone had a podcast, and if they didn't, they were starting one.

Now I feel like it's "everyone has a newsletter" -- I always see these trends as a function of recent publicity in the space, such as Morning Brew sold for $X millions!

Your thoughts?
I don't think it's a hot thing per say...more of a resurrection.

Newsletters used to be the de-facto way of publishing exclusive information for a select group of people.

And turns out with all the online censorship...the spam of poor content online (we are talking whacko Tik Tok dances mixed in with thinly veiled content marketing pieces)...newsletters can provide quality information for folks who are SICK of the drivel.

And how can Google or whatever media platform BAN newsletters?

If you are selling PRINTED copies-- and you have backup lists-- you can keep running.

Also, I think Ben Settle's book 'elBenbo Press' must have encouraged many to open newsletter-like channels.
Here, he digs into how he set up his flagship newsletter 'Email Players'.

I remember once he launched the book some time back, many top-notched copywriters like Chris Orzechowski and Daniel Throssell started offering paid newsletters of their own too. At least monthly.

They already sold their own offers-- so they weren't too desperate yet. But a side newsletter with some short articles could make for some OK recurring income.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I got really deep into newsletters and don't really like podcasts much (I do listen to some but rarely as audio is my least favorite medium).

In my opinion, newsletters, as much as I enjoy reading them, are very overrated as a business model.

Podcasts are public, easily shareable, and relatively easy to market.

Newsletters are usually only available to subscribers which makes them hard to share and difficult to market. Add to that the fact that young generations don't really use email much and you have a really hard thing to sell, even for free.

I know for a fact that if my newsletter were a YouTube channel I'd probably be at 10x the amount of subscribers by now. Newsletters have no discovery mechanism built in and most people are too lazy to read, let alone read emails.

Also, the success stories for newsletters are mostly the same few newsletters over and over again.

So IMO, newsletters aren't the new hot thing. Short videos definitely are, though, as much as I dislike them.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Question: Are Newsletters the new hot thing?
I hope not. It's often the kiss of death when the masses latch on to an opportunity.

That said; when the "gold rush" is over and the people who want riches without working have cleared off, those with a professional approach will do very well. I saw this in the early days of Kindle publishing.

If newsletters do become the next hot thing (again), it will also begin to drive stricter email standards. Tools like SPF, DKIM, DMARC and BIMI will probably become essential if you want your mailing to be delivered.

Newsletters are a great tool for growing a business when done right. Hopefully developing a good newsletter will be too much hard work for most people and put them off before they start.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can't be bothered having a free newsletter. If I'm going to make content free then I'd rather put it out there so people can find and share it. (I prefer open systems to closed systems.)

I think *paid* newsletters are hot at the moment. Substack, Revue, Beehiiv, etc are all tapping into the gold rush.

Twitter brought Revue a while back and integrated it into their ecosystem.

I've always liked paid email newsletters as MVPs for subscription based info-products.

Shove up a landing page where people pay to subscribe, and when you get your first subscriber send a personalised video welcome and ask what specifically they'd like to see.

I've done it a few times and it's so simple to setup and blow people's socks off.

I've never tried to scale any as my clients and revenue don't come through from consuming my content.

I subscribed to a few hardcopy monthly marketing newsletters years ago. I kind of miss those. I expect they'll become all the rage sometime soon.

I doubt many paid newsletter owners make much money. They still have to do the marketing right?

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
I think a lot of people now are doing a newsletter just to have one (chasing a trend). In that case, it's a bad idea.

But if it fits in with the rest of your strategy to acquire customers and/or nurture a community (e.g. tie it in with your software/app subscribers, blog, YouTube channel, etc.), then it might make sense.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I think the sale of the Hustle for $25M+ opened a few eyes. There's a ton now on substack but I suspect many will go to zero in a couple years. The same thing happened to podcasts, and blogs before that.

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
I think the term 'newsletter' is also being overused now.

Most of the stuff on substack, ghost, etc, are essentially just blogs, which also happen to end up in your inbox. Substack is already starting to transition readers back into their ecosystem (with an app, web reader etc), and you can opt-out of the email component entirely now. Bit ironic, lol.

So it's a bit like a medium style paid publication which may or may not end up in your email. They also support podcasts, actually, and I know some creators are switching to Substack just for the podcast element of it.

Then, there are also the Morning Brew-style curated newsletters. Those are more close to the original term 'newsletter.' There's already a bunch of morning brew like clones popping up on beehiv. Not sure how well they are doing, though.

Basically, newsletter entry is effectively non-existent today. You can set up shop in less than 5 minutes with a $0 investment. Yes, you can succeed, but you'd have to be EXCEPTIONAL and stick to it for a long time (years).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Basically, newsletter entry is effectively non-existent today. You can set up shop in less than 5 minutes with a $0 investment.
That's what I love about them. Have an idea? Setup a quick newsletter opt-in page and direct people to it. You don't even have to create a welcome email never mind your first issue till you've got your first subscriber.

Yes, you can succeed, but you'd have to be EXCEPTIONAL and stick to it for a long time (years).
I don't think you have to be exceptional or stick at it for a long time. I think it's a case of getting the right offer in front of the right people.

Dammit... you're getting me distracted again. I'm almost tempted to start something just to see how to grow it from nothing.

Here's my orignal long and winding progress thread where I ultimately didn't get very far:

EDIT: Now look what you made me do...
A hobby?

I'm thinking of setting up a new email newsletter and linking to that from my mucking about on TikTok and YouTube Shorts.

I don't want the newsletter related to my Google Ads course. Making sales of that course isn't even a goal ... it's there for when people ask if I have a course.

I don't want the newsletter to be a funnel towards my client work either. I don't get client work from emails, or posting on TikTok or YouTube. Client work comes via building relationships with people and word-of-mouth. I want this completely separate from my client services business.

So this newsletter will be just a wee hobby and labour of love that I'll do for fun, and that gives a bit more purpose behind my mucking about on TikTok and YouTube.

What will the subject be? I'm not quite sure... but probably aimed at newbies to help them get started in business, and get better at marketing and sales. So I can post that stuff on TikTok and YouTube, and it will be the content of the newsletter.

Maybe I start a brand new YouTube channel for this too. Not sure. Not too fussed either way, which probably points towards not starting a new channel.

What platform? I don't want it linked to my New Zenler installation in any way, so I might use something like www.beehiiv.com which has a free tier.

Last edited:

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
I don't think you have to be exceptional or stick at it for a long time. I think it's a case of getting the right offer in front of the right people.

Well, the problem with zero entry is that there would be thousands of other people *trying* to do the same thing. So consumer tolerance for this type of stuff gets lower and lower the more people come in. Yeah, you could probably find a niche and market to them. But for someone trying to get in on the gold rush. i.e - starting from scratch with not much of a budget, I would say the odds are stacked against.

Dammit... you're getting me distracted again. I'm almost tempted to start something just to see how to grow it from nothing.

Here's my orignal long and winding progress thread where I ultimately didn't get very far:

Haha, go for it. I would be curious to see your results.

Although doesn't your second post answer the first? (i.e "didn't get very far") :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Although doesn't your second post answer the first? (i.e "didn't get very far") :)
I didn't get very far because a newsletter isn't needed for my current service business. I don't have email lists, and I only have a course so I can send people to it when they ask if I have one. I just find them (and videos) interesting.

I just signed up to Beehiiv and will start a new newsletter as a hobby and to see how they work.

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
I just signed up to Beehiiv and will start a new newsletter as a hobby and to see how they work.

They actually have some interesting features they've been adding recently.

eg: A/B testing the headline/subject of a newsletter with corresponding analytics for the open rates (similar to ad platforms). This is a pretty cool marketing tool on its own if you have a newsletter for a product and want to test conversion rates etc.

They also have an in-built partner/ad network (similar to sparkloop partner network) as an alternate monetization option. So you can have a free newsletter (which is easier to grow) and find sponsors directly from within the platform. They take care of placements and invoicing etc. But you can only enable it after 1000 subs (fair enough).

And there's also the morning brew style referral system built in where you can offer rewards for readers to refer your newsletter and grow faster.

BUT, everyone else on beehiv has all this as well ;) I still stand by my original premise of having to be exceptional and sticking to it for a long time.

Good luck. Curious to see your results.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What's the difference between the current gold rush of email newsletters and what's been going on for decades?

I thought "the money's in the list" and "you *need* an email list" were phrases bandied about for years.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What's the difference between the current gold rush of email newsletters and what's been going on for decades?

I thought "the money's in the list" and "you *need* and email list" were phrases bandied about for years.
The gold rush is in the reframing of email lists from marketing tools that sell stuff to individuals, to email newsletters as exclusive niche communities where hidden knowledge is found.

What's funny is the newsletter can still be used to sell you stuff as an individual. :D

Russell Brand.png

Russell Brand promotes his newsletter in his free YouTube videos just in case YouTube cancels his channel. It's easy for people to want to join. Once they're inside, all of the standard email rules still apply. He can still promote and sell stuff as long as he also shares content the audience finds valuable.

Email lists are perceived kind of like this:

- I opted-in for this thing
- All other emails from this business are spam
- All other emails are written by NOT the influencer
- I am alone in a series of automations
- This experience is depersonalized

With newsletters you get:

- Charismatic leader
- In-Group
- Sense of community / identity
- Exclusive access to *hidden knowledge*
- Implied exclusive access to a guru
- Only the content you think you want
- I am part of something bigger than myself

When you break it down like that, newsletters are not so different from guru funnels and the cults we've talked about before.

P.S. I enjoy watching Russell's videos. I'm not calling him a dangerous cult leader. His opt-in page was just too perfect not to share as an example lol. Then again, can you really believe a cult member? ;)

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The gold rush is in the reframing of email lists from marketing tools that sell stuff to individuals, to email newsletters as exclusive niche communities where hidden knowledge is found.

What's funny is the newsletter can still be used to sell you stuff as an individual. :D

View attachment 45595

Russell Brand promotes his newsletter in his free YouTube videos just in case YouTube cancels his channel. It's easy for people to want to join. Once they're inside, all of the standard email rules still apply. He can still promote and sell stuff as long as he also shares content the audience finds valuable.

Email lists are perceived kind of like this:

- I opted-in for this thing
- All other emails from this business are spam
- All other emails are written by NOT the influencer
- I am alone in a series of automations
- This experience is depersonalized

With newsletters you get:

- Charismatic leader
- In-Group
- Sense of community / identity
- Exclusive access to *hidden knowledge*
- Implied exclusive access to a guru
- Only the content you think you want
- I am part of something bigger than myself

When you break it down like that, newsletters are not so different from guru funnels and the cults we've talked about before.

P.S. I enjoy watching Russell's videos. I'm not calling him a dangerous cult leader. His opt-in page was just too perfect not to share as an example lol. Then again, can you really believe a cult member? ;)
Ah. Got it. "Exclusive content" vs "lead magnet and obligatory stories to make me buy".

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018

I'd say it's just the number of platforms popping up to make it easier to start something like this.

As mentioned above, some big ones selling for $mm deals (hustle, morning brew, etc) probably turned some heads.

But back then, entry was probably much higher too. So, you'd have to put in a lot more work (or at least $$$) to build something worth $mm.

Substack, Revue, Beehiv, Sendfox are all free and one-click setups. Just like a blog. So everyone is doing it now.

Only the better ones will stand after the new rush fades.

I thought "the money's in the list" and "you *need* and email list" were phrases bandied about for years.

I like to approach this equation the other way around.

Money's in the product. Build a good enough product and the list will come.

Yes, this applies to 'newsletter as the product' as well.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well, the problem with zero entry is that there would be thousands of other people *trying* to do the same thing.

And that's the problem, it becomes such a noisy crowded space, that only the top few will remain. Opening your inbox every day to 19 newsletters is untenable, regardless of the content.

That's how I find podcasting today. The content is overwhelming, saturated, and plentiful -- to the point I haven't accepted any new podcast interviews as of late.

EVERYONE has a podcast which is why I never bothered to enter that space although with a small audience already, I'd have a slight advantage there. There are so many episodes, so many guests, so many talks, that it just becomes all noise to me. It is impossible to discern the good from the bad and after awhile, it all sounds the same.

Here's a tip: When the guru courses and books come out on a particular business model, like "how to start a podcast" which started with Dumas and snowballed-- the business model has climaxed and is on the way down. So when you see, "How to start your billion dollar newsletter! Join my $497 online training!" you know the business model has peaked.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Question: Are Newsletters the new hot thing?
I honestly think it's because content creators realize how easy it is to get de-platformed or demonetized and they understand the importance of having a direct connection to their followers outside of these platforms & their completely subjective "community standards" bullshit.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
EVERYONE has a podcast which is why I never bothered to enter that space although with a small audience already, I'd have a slight advantage there. There are so many episodes, so many guests, so many talks, that it just becomes all noise to me. It is impossible to discern the good from the bad and after awhile, it all sounds the same.

And the end result is that people only pay attention to the few biggest podcasts like Joe Rogan, Tim Ferriss, etc. This makes it very, very hard for an average guy to stand out unless you happen to be in a very specific niche where there's much less competition yet a need for information is strong (say, you're the biggest expert on skincare and mostly talk about that).

G

Guest-5ty5s4

And the end result is that people only pay attention to the few biggest podcasts like Joe Rogan, Tim Ferriss, etc. This makes it very, very hard for an average guy to stand out unless you happen to be in a very specific niche where there's much less competition yet a need for information is strong (say, you're the biggest expert on skincare and mostly talk about that).
If you have a podcast and you manage to become a guest on one of those guys' podcasts though, you are going to go from 1,000 listeners to millions. Instantly.

Of course you can go to B-list, C-list, or D-list hosts and guests as well. It's really all about guests and audiences. If your guests and hosts don't have audiences it's kind of a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I honestly think it's because content creators realize how easy it is to get de-platformed or demonetized and they understand the importance of having a direct connection to their followers outside of these platforms & their completely subjective "community standards" bullshit.

Excellent point, it's a good method to reign in control over one's audience.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you have a podcast and you manage to become a guest on one of those guys' podcasts though, you are going to go from 1,000 listeners to millions. Instantly.

Of course you can go to B-list, C-list, or D-list hosts and guests as well. It's really all about guests and audiences. If your guests and hosts don't have audiences it's kind of a waste of time.
There's a line of thinking that it's the content you want not so much access to other people's audiences. Chop up the content and post it to the platforms.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Excellent point, it's a good method to reign in control over one's audience.

Yet the funny thing is that it would be super simple for Google to decide not to accept emails from your domain in Gmail and your control (and the majority of your subscribers) is gone.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

There's a line of thinking that it's the content you want not so much access to other people's audiences. Chop up the content and post it to the platforms.
It might be both, but something I've noticed is that I used to watch Graham Stephan and MeetKevin a lot when I was younger, and they have totally left the pure financial videos and now they are interviewing people like Liver King and MrBeast.

It's a very typical thing... People with audiences go after people with more audiences. It's not even about the content. It's about reach. The good ones all do this.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It might be both, but something I've noticed is that I used to watch Graham Stephan and MeetKevin a lot when I was younger, and they have totally left the pure financial videos and now they are interviewing people like Liver King and MrBeast.

It's a very typical thing... People with audiences go after people with more audiences. It's not even about the content. It's about reach. The good ones all do this.
I think it was Gary V who I heard recently say he mostly does podcats for the content. His team needs content to chop up and distribute. His talks and podcast appearances are mostly to get material to feed into his content machine. He doesn't care the size of their audience.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
He doesn't care the size of their audience.

Are you serious? I guarantee you a guy who charges $50,000 an hour for speaking IS NOT getting interviewed by a podcaster with 25 followers and 100 downloads. Don't buy into his PR machine.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I think it was Gary V who I heard recently say he mostly does podcats for the content. His team needs content to chop up and distribute. His talks and podcast appearances are mostly to get material to feed into his content machine. He doesn't care the size of their audience.
He definitely cares about the size of the audience. He says that because he is appealing to the little guy. Keep in mind too he also already has made his footprint - millions of followers - household name - so growing his audience isn’t as difficult as it is for a new podcaster and might not be his top focus. But I guarantee it’s a part of his strategy

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ok, let me rephrase. He cares about audience size, *and* goes on smaller podcasts to get the content. So he says anyway. It was an aha moment for me to think of it as a way to get your own content.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
Ok, let me rephrase. He cares about audience size, *and* goes on smaller podcasts to get the content. So he says anyway. It was an aha moment for me to think of it as a way to get your own content.
I actually know of a guy that has a really small podcast and a very tiny audience at the time of interviewing GaryVee.

He went through the process of ordering books (or his wine... can't remember) in hopes for an interview. He knew Gary was going to be in his town for an event. Something about how the order didn't pan out and Gary's team said they wanted an large amount of money for him to be on the podcast. What happened was:

- Guy replied no thanks he couldn't afford.
- GaryV replies late at night saying he's in for 15 minutes to do the interview. Completely free.
- Ends up doing an hour long interview

The podcast never grew substantially. And his audience didn't grow from that. He even says he got a little spike in views for the video itself and then traffic dropped off. Just wasn't big enough to leverage it. But he's used the story to get traffic for sure haha.

^This is of course, not repeatable. Not a formula whatsoever. But just showing that he HAS done it. It's just not very common for hiim to do it.

And back on the topic of newsletters, the key is understanding if they ARE the business model itself or used to supplement the business to control traffic.

People might be confusing the two.

Russell Brand uses his to control his audience and feed them information while building the community. If he gets cancelled, he has that list and can go to another platform and continue to grow it. Tate continues to do this. The business model isn't the newsletter itself. But it amplifies the businesses.

The Morning Brew style newsletter is more focused on that being the make-or-break of revenue. Most personal brands don't rely on this. But for Morning Brew/The Hustle, this was everything to them.

Better to use a newsletter as a controlled source of communicating with your prospects/audience/community if your business is set up to benefit from that.

Going all in on a newsletter business as a sole form of revenue requires patience and a ton of marketing on platforms to drive traffic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.