The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From an 8-figure e-commerce business to $280k in debt. What to do now?

G

Guest1y4212

Ok so there's a lot to my story and want to give some background. Right now I am 21 years old based in Austin, Texas. I grew up in New York, went to college but then dropped out my 3rd year in after starting my ecom biz. The Millionaire Fastlane was one of those pivital books for me venturing down my journey, having read it over and over, then combing back through specific chapters. @MJ DeMarco, thank you for all of this, it had a huge effect of the trajectory of my life.

In late 2018 while in college I was exploring different business models of making money. One thing lead to the next, and I came across e-commerce, more specifically drop shipping. I was a speed and execution junkie. Testing tons of different products and marketing them on Facebook. Ended up scaling my first ecommerce biz to a little north of around $100k in revenue my first few months in the summer of 2019. The product was a mosquito lamp. Found a niche in the RV & Camping community for this product. I bootstrapped with absolutely no money by using friends and family Facebook accounts to join RV Facebook groups, and shamelessly promoted the product from their point of view, sending traffic to my website and getting thousands of dollars worth of free sales, then fulfilling this product on Aliexpress. After the end of this fiasco, not paying attention to profitability and scaling so quick, the whole thing blew up, and profit margins were close to $0.

During this whole time, I wanted to justify dropping out of college. And to me that number was $100k profit, in the bank. That was my centralized goal. Once I got there, I'd be able to drop out, move to Austin (where I am now), and my life as an entrepreneur would "begin"

Onto my next "working" venture in the end of 2019. I found a viral tweet online that got very political and carried in hog hunting to the topic of assault weapons with a whole debate alongside it.
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 1.01.18 PM.png
Along with having seen a VICE youtube video of people going "helicopter hog hunting" in Texas, I knew this was a working idea I could capitalize on. With this I tested out another Aliexpress product, which was a night vision scope which I specifically marketed towards hog hunters, using marketing copy as such "What do you do if 30-50 feral hogs swarm your property? Hunt them at night... Get This Night Vision Scope blah blah blah". This amounted to me scaling up this product to around $350k in revenue very quickly, but then soon after it blowing up in my face, being banned off running Facebook ads, having my business manager and personal Facebook profile all going down. The logistics was also a complete mess with tons of faulty products, leading to chargebacks. Then again, I was left with pretty much $0 in profit. Ended up "selling" this website for $2,000 after the whole fact in the middle of 2020. Which shows how desperate I was at the time.

After this, I was back off to college for my 3rd year in 2020, having reading tons of books during this time, and having a firm belief that this is not what I was supposed to be doing with my life. I was fed up. I was testing dozens of products. From garden supplies, to fitness equipment, to plant prorogation kits. I was a madman to come across "success" so I could finally justify leaving school.

I was desperate, had absolutely zero capital, and came across a person in a Facebook group which I won't add their name in here. After a few months of back and forth, and me being at one of my lowest lows, I decided that going about this with him as a 50/50 partner would be my best bet. His background was in cryptocurrency, and Amazon FBA, and he had absolutely no knowledge of direct to consumer e-commerce, BUT he had capital. Over the next few months, partnering up with him will allow me the capital to freely continue this madman process of testing tons of products and dropshipping them using Facebook ads (still questionable how viable this approach is).

After months and months (with me doing most of the heavy lifting, and planning on ending this partnership) in August of 2020 we came across a new product we tested in the home decor lighting space. With me leading the growth and marketing, we scaled up the business to the following revenue numbers. These numbers we were able to do because we had very favorable supplier terms, and also were dropshipping these products... so no upfront inventory costs. August $30k~ in revenue. September $250k~ in revenue. October $600k~ in revenue. November $2MM in revenue. December $2.1MM in revenue. We ended the year with nearly $950k in pure profit under the business. Woah.
FR7sK56XMAU7f47.jpeg

Then after this, we started down the process going into 2021 which will be one of the biggest years of learning in my whole life.

2020: We netted $950k~ in profit
2021: We LOST $601,920
2022: We closed the business

Holy s**t I was thinking looking back at this. How could I be so stupid? I thought I was on top of the world, until now. During the process so many racing thoughts going through my mind as this "success" was getting slowly and slowly torn away from me. Losing money nearly every single month of the year. "We'll bounce back" I told myself and my partner.

We were spending aggressively and acquiring customers at a loss. Trying to make paid ads work like they did so well for us in 2020. Clinging onto the past as if that would continue to happen. Thinking the same strategies and tactics that got us to X would get us to Y. It was such a foolish mistake.

Also during the year of 2021, I optimized for our overhead to sustain a $2MM/month business, but refused to cut back because I was fearful of change. I became content as the whole business I built was turning to shreds.. At one point we had our overhead around $80k per month. For what? We made terrible hiring decisions, were not innovating and pivoting, did not focus enough on customer experience, didn't diversify traffic channels, and did not have a real mission or vision for the business. It was an absolute mess.

I would literally go to bed everyday after losing a few thousand in revenue, with such a blindly optimistic view of the future of the business.

My business partner was also slowly and slowly checking out of all decision making activities during this year in 2021. Failing to step up and take ownership for some of the poor decisions, and help with new decisions that needed to be made. This left me feeling like I had a pound of bricks on my back. I made all of the tough decisions. I was upset at the time, but looking back now, I am happy that I did have to make those decisions, as there was so much growth in all of that.

With this $600k net loss on the business, and then accumulating near $280k in debt on the business from vendors, credit cards, working capital loans... I made the executive decisions to cease everything we were doing and close the business. I had to face the reality of the situation and move on. This was so difficult because I had such a large vision for this company as a whole. We wanted to enter new markets, spin up new brands, and leverage economies of scale that the growth allowed for us to do. But it needed to be done.

Looking back, this was needed. I was naive. I was working in a partnership where I was doing near 90% of all the work. And the business was bleeding.

All of this, I was going through at the ripe age of 19 to 20 years old. Being now 21 years old now, I know I'll probably look back at this and be so grateful for the lessons I learned. But the reality is, that I am still navigating a lot of this mess and wanted to share this with you guys.

So onto this next chapter of my entrepreneurship journey, I am trying to find my next steps, the next opportunities for myself. Having now incorporated and building up my new business entity, I am trying to figure out what to do. It feels like I was on top of a mountain with a smile on my face, then suddenly getting tossed off the cliff, head banged up and body heavily bruised and falling down slowly and painfully... now here, standing at the base of the mountain again, wondering how do I get back up there? Will those same strategies work that I used to get up there for that brief amount of time? And a whole slew of other questions coming to my mind in regards to my next journey to conquer.

What I am looking for specifically in this thread and post is to ask the community, and other (more seasoned) successful entrepreneurs, what they would recommend for me to do next.

Maybe this is more of a mindset thing that I need to solve from it's root, but over the past 3 months I have felt as if I was dropped in the ocean, with no clear direction on where to swim. I am in a spot where I currently don't have a business I am working on day to day. Sort of lost with where to move next. My circle of competence is in just mainly e-commerce.

With all of these data privacy laws and regulations, and Facebook being such an expensive platform, it makes me question if my skills are even still applicable in the realm of e-commerce. Am I just being naive again or should I question pivoting industries?

I also question whether my mad man approach to testing products like I did before is even feasible in todays landscape of e-commerce, with strict feedback scores in place for Facebook and the bans. And ad platforms being increasingly expensive.

I feel as if there was a gold rush in e-commerce which I was in at the time, but now it has passed. And I don't know whether it's smart to keep hammering the same nail, or if I am overanalyzing "getting back in the game".

As much as I have learned so much, and done so much from these opportunities I have created, it also feels like I am so behind of where I should be... And so behind from my goals.

So here are my questions to you guys if you have ever had a similar scenario:
1. Was there any point in your career, where you were at an in between stage and felt a little lost. If so, how did you deal with it?
2. If you were to test out a new e-commerce brand / product in today's climate, how would you go about validating and testing it? And should I even be focusing on this?
3. When you find yourself lost and not knowing what to do, how do you keep yourself on track?
4. Any resources anyone would recommend for this?

Thank you for reading this. This is my first post. I have been learning so much from these threads. It also helped me make my decision on my move down here and the cost benefit analysis of staying in NY vs living down here. I could say that was one of the best decisions I have made in my life thus far.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I went through something similar when I was 18-19 as well with dropshipping. Not on the same scale as you but I was in a very dark period of my life and it felt like the end of the world.

Personally, it took me a long time to recover. I kept trying to get a job or offer a particular service but I hated it and would always go back to "investing" what little money I had earned into the AlIExpress products I had shortlisted for testing and would go to sleep envisioning how I'd wake up in the morning, see 10-20 sales (or be woken up at night by the Shopify app going ca-ching), and finally get my big breakthrough and live happily ever after. Just like I had in the past...

Well, unfortunately, it didn't happen. However, I eventually took my e-commerce experience and ventured into web design, and once that got boring, I got into copywriting by accident (I used to write really good product descriptions for every product I tested but never really thought of myself as a copywriter).

I'd lie to you if I told you I earn as much as I did with my "winner" dropshipping product back in 2017 when I was just 18. However, the truth is I currently have no intention of earning that much.

What's important to me is that I make a considerable amount while also having a lot of free time to pursue the things I want and keeping stress levels low. Plus, I've easily contributed to 20M+ in sales for my clients in the past year, so that feels pretty good as well.

Anyway, that's just the trajectory that I am on. With you, I'd say you'd be better off selling your knowledge on how you scaled that product to $9M in sales - I'd assume plenty of people would be interested in your process (as simple or banal as you may think it is). Once you got some cash flowing in, you could build a new, better e-commerce business with the experience and, more importantly, the wisdom you now possess.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Great story and you should certainly continue spending your energy and focus on e-commerce. It is possible that it was all a fluke, but few people would claim so realistically, and you have now learned many lessons. For how to validate a product / brand / offering, and then investing in this, the lessons I discern from your text and my experience can be summarized as not relying on:

One niche
One product
One supplier
One channel
One strategy
One location
One customer
One distribution
One period of time
One business partner
One payment processor
etc.

You can break these rules, but the more you break, the more fragile the business becomes due to having less control and ability to adapt to what you cannot control. The latter is very important. In avoiding singular 'weak links in the chain', the business becomes more complex as you are forced to innovate and improve within all areas. It is worth it though as you are less reliant on for example a temporary 'gold rush', and you are actually able to identify when this is occuring.

If an idea shows promise with two vastly different strategies, chances are it is either an excellent product, or you are skilled enough to sell it successfully anyway.

If only one specific recipe makes it work, possibly there is a temporary or unknown factor you are not accounting for. Examples:

Ad cost is artificially cheap
Shipping cost is artificially cheap
Manufacturing cost is artificially cheap
Spending power of customer is temporarily inflated
Product is new to market
Product is trendy
Product has hidden flaws leading to returns / chargebacks
Product is illegal or will become
Product will be outdated due to new tech
Competition has not caught on
There is a global pandemic
Method of advertising is illegal/ misleading/ against ToS
Market size smaller than realized
Someone is scamming/tricking you somehow
Sales cannot be scaled properly
You are lucky and cannot repeat the strategy (sample size too small)
etc.

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
It sounds like you are proficient at e-Commerce and have a bright future ahead of you. Here are my recommendations for your next biz:

1. Focus on creating a Productocracy with strong organic growth potential

2. Ensure that your product has a heavy repeat order aspect to it.

3. Make sure you have amazing margins. Think make for $5 and sell for $50.

4. Quit dropshipping and start importing. Don't sell what others are selling. Invest time, effort, and money into strong differentiation and innovation. You want all the "Moats" you can get.

5. Own 100% of the business. Don't take on any partners.

6. Make your business extremely lean. Be the only employee. I am the only employee in my business. I outsource everything which is not my core competency. Don't hesitate to fire any contractors that aren't up to your ideal standards.

7. Focus on creating a business with a strong need. It looks like we are heading for a recession. Build a business with extremely strong need fundamentals, rather than want fundamentals.

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for sharing this. It takes a lot of courage to share failures. You've taken more action at age 18 than a life time slowlaner like me has done at 41. I think the fact that you're out there taking action and learning is most of the battle, and the given that you've already had success, albeit it temporary, shows that you have what it takes to be successful.

I don't have any answers to your specific questions but I would say just keep going at it. You're lightyears ahead of most 21 year olds; as long as you keep iterating and learning, you'll get there.

G

Guest1y4212

I went through something similar when I was 18-19 as well with dropshipping. Not on the same scale as you but I was in a very dark period of my life and it felt like the end of the world.

Personally, it took me a long time to recover. I kept trying to get a job or offer a particular service but I hated it and would always go back to "investing" what little money I had earned into the AlIExpress products I had shortlisted for testing and would go to sleep envisioning how I'd wake up in the morning, see 10-20 sales (or be woken up at night by the Shopify app going ca-ching), and finally get my big breakthrough and live happily ever after. Just like I had in the past...

Well, unfortunately, it didn't happen. However, I eventually took my e-commerce experience and ventured into web design, and once that got boring, I got into copywriting by accident (I used to write really good product descriptions for every product I tested but never really thought of myself as a copywriter).

I'd lie to you if I told you I earn as much as I did with my "winner" dropshipping product back in 2017 when I was just 18. However, the truth is I currently have no intention of earning that much.

What's important to me is that I make a considerable amount while also having a lot of free time to pursue the things I want and keeping stress levels low. Plus, I've easily contributed to 20M+ in sales for my clients in the past year, so that feels pretty good as well.

Anyway, that's just the trajectory that I am on. With you, I'd say you'd be better off selling your knowledge on how you scaled that product to $9M in sales - I'd assume plenty of people would be interested in your process (as simple or banal as you may think it is). Once you got some cash flowing in, you could build a new, better e-commerce business with the experience and, more importantly, the wisdom you now possess.
Thanks for this man. It means a lot to hear I am not alone here.

Most likely I am going to try and leverage some of that previous success to do some client / freelance work in the future and help sustain during this time as I don't have anything generating cash flow at the moment.

The feedback means so much, thank you!

G

Guest1y4212

Great story and you should certainly continue spending your energy and focus on e-commerce. It is possible that it was all a fluke, but few people would claim so realistically, and you have now learned many lessons. For how to validate a product / brand / offering, and then investing in this, the lessons I discern from your text and my experience can be summarized as not relying on:

One niche
One product
One supplier
One channel
One strategy
One location
One customer
One distribution
One period of time
One business partner
One payment processor
etc.

You can break these rules, but the more you break, the more fragile the business becomes due to having less control and ability to adapt to what you cannot control. The latter is very important. In avoiding singular 'weak links in the chain', the business becomes more complex as you are forced to innovate and improve within all areas. It is worth it though as you are less reliant on for example a temporary 'gold rush', and you are actually able to identify when this is occuring.

If an idea shows promise with two vastly different strategies, chances are it is either an excellent product, or you are skilled enough to sell it successfully anyway.

If only one specific recipe makes it work, possibly there is a temporary or unknown factor you are not accounting for. Examples:

Ad cost is artificially cheap
Shipping cost is artificially cheap
Manufacturing cost is artificially cheap
Spending power of customer is temporarily inflated
Product is new to market
Product is trendy
Product has hidden flaws leading to returns / chargebacks
Product is illegal or will become
Product will be outdated due to new tech
Competition has not caught on
There is a global pandemic
Method of advertising is illegal/ misleading/ against ToS
Market size smaller than realized
Someone is scamming/tricking you somehow
Sales cannot be scaled properly
You are lucky and cannot repeat the strategy (sample size too small)
etc.
This information is truly gold.

Most of these things you listed were the reasoning to why the business took a turn for the worse. I need to focus on diversifying more going forward and plan for the worst (ie: payment processor goes down, Facebook ad account goes down, supplier increases prices, etc.)

Also here's a list of the lessons learned in list form. Let me know if you have any feedback in terms of this @Eudaimonium :
  1. Know your NUMBERS and be quick to make changes when necessary
  2. Build your business to sell one day
  3. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
  4. Hire slow, fire fast
  5. Successful entrepreneurs get paid to “think” not “do”
  6. Set proper expectations with employees, and put a number to EVERYTHING (KPIs)
  7. Systemize every aspect of the business.
  8. If you’re not working at something within your purpose about beyond money, eventually it will fizzle out
  9. You can have anything you want, but not everything
  10. Prioritize providing value to your customers (customer experience)
  11. Diversify traffic channels / recurring revenue → you never know when the landscape will change
  12. Build a business that is anti-fragile
  13. Budget accordingly
  14. If it doesn’t get measured, it doesn’t get managed
  15. Company culture is important for long term growth
  16. Create a MOAT between the competition and your business
  17. The more “duplicatable” your business, the less it will sell for
  18. It is important to have a clear vision and mission for your business

G

Guest1y4212

It sounds like you are proficient at e-Commerce and have a bright future ahead of you. Here are my recommendations for your next biz:

1. Focus on creating a Productocracy with strong organic growth potential

2. Ensure that your product has a heavy repeat order aspect to it.

3. Make sure you have amazing margins. Think make for $5 and sell for $50.

4. Quit dropshipping and start importing. Don't sell what others are selling. Invest time, effort, and money into strong differentiation and innovation. You want all the "Moats" you can get.

5. Own 100% of the business. Don't take on any partners.

6. Make your business extremely lean. Be the only employee. I am the only employee in my business. I outsource everything which is not my core competency. Don't hesitate to fire any contractors that aren't up to your ideal standards.

7. Focus on creating a business with a strong need. It looks like we are heading for a recession. Build a business with extremely strong need fundamentals, rather than want fundamentals.
Thanks for this feedback @Matt33

Looking back, the product just did not have that word of mouth aspect which allowed it to scale beyond paid ads.

Need to 100% revisit MJ's productocracy section in the Millionaire Fastlane again.

G

Guest1y4212

Thanks for sharing this. It takes a lot of courage to share failures. You've taken more action at age 18 than a life time slowlaner like me has done at 41. I think the fact that you're out there taking action and learning is most of the battle, and the given that you've already had success, albeit it temporary, shows that you have what it takes to be successful.

I don't have any answers to your specific questions but I would say just keep going at it. You're lightyears ahead of most 21 year olds; as long as you keep iterating and learning, you'll get there.
Hi @Bones81 - this made my morning. Thank you so much for the kind words.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
  1. Know your NUMBERS and be quick to make changes when necessary
  2. Build your business to sell one day
  3. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
  4. Hire slow, fire fast
  5. Successful entrepreneurs get paid to “think” not “do”
  6. Set proper expectations with employees, and put a number to EVERYTHING (KPIs)
  7. Systemize every aspect of the business.
  8. If you’re not working at something within your purpose about beyond money, eventually it will fizzle out
  9. You can have anything you want, but not everything
  10. Prioritize providing value to your customers (customer experience)
  11. Diversify traffic channels / recurring revenue → you never know when the landscape will change
  12. Build a business that is anti-fragile
  13. Budget accordingly
  14. If it doesn’t get measured, it doesn’t get managed
  15. Company culture is important for long term growth
  16. Create a MOAT between the competition and your business
  17. The more “duplicatable” your business, the less it will sell for
  18. It is important to have a clear vision and mission for your business

You know what I think is missing from all these take aways and all the advice being given?

What problem are you trying to solve and who are you trying to solve it for?

Know your customers. Know their needs. Know their problems.

If you're not starting there, if you don't maintain focus on that, the rest of this stuff is going to spin out of control. That's the foundation you need to build your business on. That's your focus. That's your company's focus.

Maybe saying "productocracy" or "value" might cover it, especially for people on this forum, but as you scale and hire employees, they won't know what those words really mean. Keep the message simple. What problem does your company solve?

Good luck to you. You've done a lot already. You've got a lot to be proud of. Keep going. You've got a long life ahead of you. A lot of possibilities and opportunities will be coming your way. Be patient with yourself.

Don't stop. Don't quit.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
You may find it helpful to start thinking longer term. For instance, in your opening post I don't see the see the value you are providing your customers or the reason you are doing what you do. Don't take this personally but it screams of "money chasing". A more value focused approach would probably alleviate questions like you posed.

Quick example in my world. I build houses and sell them for a profit. If it was only that deep I would quit or change paths every time the going got tough (losing money etc.). My mission however is to improve the quality of life for my customers. I do that by building beautiful, safe houses that serve as a solid investment for them. Even a market correction won't stop my mission. I just may have to adjust something to continue providing that value.

You are obviously very talented and I wish you nothing but success! Welcome to the forum.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Interesting post!

When you ran these businesses what was your plan for owner compensation? Was your line of thinking to make a profit on the biz first, then once there is a lot of profit distribute this profit to the owners?

What if you paid part of the profits out along the way? Do you think this could have changed the outcome?

The concept of 'pay yourself first'. At least if the biz didn't work out you can apply the savings to other projects / investments.

If the businesses isn't able to reliably turn a profit while giving you money to pay yourself it might not be economical in the long run.

It seems like you have learned a lot with respect to launching products, working with a niche, etc. The problems with your previous biz seems more like capital management problems / cash-flow management problems. Maybe look into this more. Managing money and launching a biz are different skill sets.

Maybe find a good CPA to add to your team.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@Walter Hay might be willing to shed some light on importing.
Thanks for the heads up.
Importing can provide much of what is missing in the "system", provided you don't follow the crowd and source on Alibaba and similar sites.
  • It can get you out of the "me too" crowd.
  • It can help you find products that have never previously been imported into the USA.
  • It can provide more control over supply, with security that comes with control.
  • It can give you profit margins that will blow you away. (In my B2B importing business I never netted less than 60% profit. but much higher margins are possible.
I am happy to answer questions on the subject, or see my AMA:

Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import. Product sourcing specialist.

Walter

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Ok so there's a lot to my story and want to give some background. Right now I am 21 years old based in Austin, Texas. I grew up in New York, went to college but then dropped out my 3rd year in after starting my ecom biz. The Millionaire Fastlane was one of those pivital books for me venturing down my journey, having read it over and over, then combing back through specific chapters. @MJ DeMarco, thank you for all of this, it had a huge effect of the trajectory of my life.

In late 2018 while in college I was exploring different business models of making money. One thing lead to the next, and I came across e-commerce, more specifically drop shipping. I was a speed and execution junkie. Testing tons of different products and marketing them on Facebook. Ended up scaling my first ecommerce biz to a little north of around $100k in revenue my first few months in the summer of 2019. The product was a mosquito lamp. Found a niche in the RV & Camping community for this product. I bootstrapped with absolutely no money by using friends and family Facebook accounts to join RV Facebook groups, and shamelessly promoted the product from their point of view, sending traffic to my website and getting thousands of dollars worth of free sales, then fulfilling this product on Aliexpress. After the end of this fiasco, not paying attention to profitability and scaling so quick, the whole thing blew up, and profit margins were close to $0.

During this whole time, I wanted to justify dropping out of college. And to me that number was $100k profit, in the bank. That was my centralized goal. Once I got there, I'd be able to drop out, move to Austin (where I am now), and my life as an entrepreneur would "begin"

Onto my next "working" venture in the end of 2019. I found a viral tweet online that got very political and carried in hog hunting to the topic of assault weapons with a whole debate alongside it.
View attachment 43650
Along with having seen a VICE youtube video of people going "helicopter hog hunting" in Texas, I knew this was a working idea I could capitalize on. With this I tested out another Aliexpress product, which was a night vision scope which I specifically marketed towards hog hunters, using marketing copy as such "What do you do if 30-50 feral hogs swarm your property? Hunt them at night... Get This Night Vision Scope blah blah blah". This amounted to me scaling up this product to around $350k in revenue very quickly, but then soon after it blowing up in my face, being banned off running Facebook ads, having my business manager and personal Facebook profile all going down. The logistics was also a complete mess with tons of faulty products, leading to chargebacks. Then again, I was left with pretty much $0 in profit. Ended up "selling" this website for $2,000 after the whole fact in the middle of 2020. Which shows how desperate I was at the time.

After this, I was back off to college for my 3rd year in 2020, having reading tons of books during this time, and having a firm belief that this is not what I was supposed to be doing with my life. I was fed up. I was testing dozens of products. From garden supplies, to fitness equipment, to plant prorogation kits. I was a madman to come across "success" so I could finally justify leaving school.

I was desperate, had absolutely zero capital, and came across a person in a Facebook group which I won't add their name in here. After a few months of back and forth, and me being at one of my lowest lows, I decided that going about this with him as a 50/50 partner would be my best bet. His background was in cryptocurrency, and Amazon FBA, and he had absolutely no knowledge of direct to consumer e-commerce, BUT he had capital. Over the next few months, partnering up with him will allow me the capital to freely continue this madman process of testing tons of products and dropshipping them using Facebook ads (still questionable how viable this approach is).

After months and months (with me doing most of the heavy lifting, and planning on ending this partnership) in August of 2020 we came across a new product we tested in the home decor lighting space. With me leading the growth and marketing, we scaled up the business to the following revenue numbers. These numbers we were able to do because we had very favorable supplier terms, and also were dropshipping these products... so no upfront inventory costs. August $30k~ in revenue. September $250k~ in revenue. October $600k~ in revenue. November $2MM in revenue. December $2.1MM in revenue. We ended the year with nearly $950k in pure profit under the business. Woah.
View attachment 43651

Then after this, we started down the process going into 2021 which will be one of the biggest years of learning in my whole life.

Holy s**t I was thinking looking back at this. How could I be so stupid? I thought I was on top of the world, until now. During the process so many racing thoughts going through my mind as this "success" was getting slowly and slowly torn away from me. Losing money nearly every single month of the year. "We'll bounce back" I told myself and my partner.

We were spending aggressively and acquiring customers at a loss. Trying to make paid ads work like they did so well for us in 2020. Clinging onto the past as if that would continue to happen. Thinking the same strategies and tactics that got us to X would get us to Y. It was such a foolish mistake.

Also during the year of 2021, I optimized for our overhead to sustain a $2MM/month business, but refused to cut back because I was fearful of change. I became content as the whole business I built was turning to shreds.. At one point we had our overhead around $80k per month. For what? We made terrible hiring decisions, were not innovating and pivoting, did not focus enough on customer experience, didn't diversify traffic channels, and did not have a real mission or vision for the business. It was an absolute mess.

I would literally go to bed everyday after losing a few thousand in revenue, with such a blindly optimistic view of the future of the business.

My business partner was also slowly and slowly checking out of all decision making activities during this year in 2021. Failing to step up and take ownership for some of the poor decisions, and help with new decisions that needed to be made. This left me feeling like I had a pound of bricks on my back. I made all of the tough decisions. I was upset at the time, but looking back now, I am happy that I did have to make those decisions, as there was so much growth in all of that.

With this $600k net loss on the business, and then accumulating near $280k in debt on the business from vendors, credit cards, working capital loans... I made the executive decisions to cease everything we were doing and close the business. I had to face the reality of the situation and move on. This was so difficult because I had such a large vision for this company as a whole. We wanted to enter new markets, spin up new brands, and leverage economies of scale that the growth allowed for us to do. But it needed to be done.

Looking back, this was needed. I was naive. I was working in a partnership where I was doing near 90% of all the work. And the business was bleeding.

All of this, I was going through at the ripe age of 19 to 20 years old. Being now 21 years old now, I know I'll probably look back at this and be so grateful for the lessons I learned. But the reality is, that I am still navigating a lot of this mess and wanted to share this with you guys.

So onto this next chapter of my entrepreneurship journey, I am trying to find my next steps, the next opportunities for myself. Having now incorporated and building up my new business entity, I am trying to figure out what to do. It feels like I was on top of a mountain with a smile on my face, then suddenly getting tossed off the cliff, head banged up and body heavily bruised and falling down slowly and painfully... now here, standing at the base of the mountain again, wondering how do I get back up there? Will those same strategies work that I used to get up there for that brief amount of time? And a whole slew of other questions coming to my mind in regards to my next journey to conquer.

What I am looking for specifically in this thread and post is to ask the community, and other (more seasoned) successful entrepreneurs, what they would recommend for me to do next.

Maybe this is more of a mindset thing that I need to solve from it's root, but over the past 3 months I have felt as if I was dropped in the ocean, with no clear direction on where to swim. I am in a spot where I currently don't have a business I am working on day to day. Sort of lost with where to move next. My circle of competence is in just mainly e-commerce.

With all of these data privacy laws and regulations, and Facebook being such an expensive platform, it makes me question if my skills are even still applicable in the realm of e-commerce. Am I just being naive again or should I question pivoting industries?

I also question whether my mad man approach to testing products like I did before is even feasible in todays landscape of e-commerce, with strict feedback scores in place for Facebook and the bans. And ad platforms being increasingly expensive.

I feel as if there was a gold rush in e-commerce which I was in at the time, but now it has passed. And I don't know whether it's smart to keep hammering the same nail, or if I am overanalyzing "getting back in the game".

As much as I have learned so much, and done so much from these opportunities I have created, it also feels like I am so behind of where I should be... And so behind from my goals.

1. Was there any point in your career, where you were at an in between stage and felt a little lost. If so, how did you deal with it?
2. If you were to test out a new e-commerce brand / product in today's climate, how would you go about validating and testing it? And should I even be focusing on this?
3. When you find yourself lost and not knowing what to do, how do you keep yourself on track?

Thank you for reading this. This is my first post. I have been learning so much from these threads. It also helped me make my decision on my move down here and the cost benefit analysis of staying in NY vs living down here. I could say that was one of the best decisions I have made in my life thus far.

Congrats on your effort and experience. I know it may seem hard to see right now, but you are already well on your way to being successful, even if you have $0.

What you wrote here is the part often not added to the forum, it's the bottoms of the roller coaster ride.

Everyone i have worked with over the years... what I call colleagues who i grew up with in biz... has gone through this. This includes me as well. There are guys I know that are really successful now, and I paid their rent less than a decade ago. Some of them have dug me out of holes as well.

This is the path you chose, you you chose it for a reason... that's why you are still here and not talking about getting a job or a handout.

No one will tell you what next thing will work out, and you know that already too. I can almost gaurantee you'll be your version of success in less than a decade if you focus. I work with guys just like you every day, the thing that gets you stuck is uncertainty often times, but you aren't unique in that, everyone else working towards the same or similar goals feels the exact same way.

___

To answer your questions briefly

I would advise you to work on a vision for yourself.

In order to feel like you are on the correct path in the future, you are going to want to know what the outcome is, otherwise how would you know if you had the right directions.

You are going to not only have to do things different, but you are going to become a different person as well. If we know those both change over the course of time, why don't we tune it to what we know we want as of today. (this may/will change over time)

Once you have that vision, Use it to make your next steps visible. What ever the next product or service you create, make sure it lines up with your outcomes in your vision. Whether the vehicle to get there (that product or service) is right, wont matter, if you keep stepping up to bat and making sure you are looking at the stadium stands when you hit... youll eventually hit it out of the park.

Hope this helps to get you to the next step, keep us in the loop and be accountable now that you got us invested! :D

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Although I have been very successful in two businesses that I built into international operations it was not always plain sailing. Early in my time as a business operator manufacturing and selling specialty industrial chemicals, I got used to repeat orders coming in more or less automatically, and then the phone stopped ringing!!!!

I found this disconcerting and wracked my brains trying to figure out what had gone wrong. It was not a pleasant experience for me. I could have just wrung my hands and worried, but I took action.

I phoned the first customer I had gained and asked what was happening. He eased my mind with news that a new government regulation had resulted in supply chain problems. Not only that company, but all in the industry had raw material shortages. PHEW!! The silent phone was not due to customer dissatisfaction, or a competitor appearing on the scene.

In my B2B importing business I never had such a problem because I quickly developed a network of franchisees and they were responsible for handling the importing and they were the ones who worried if they had been too slow placing orders with the overseas suppliers.

I can recommend franchising to take the load off a business owner's shoulders provided they have developed a sound business protocol.

Walter

G

Guest1y4212

You may find it helpful to start thinking longer term. For instance, in your opening post I don't see the see the value you are providing your customers or the reason you are doing what you do. Don't take this personally but it screams of "money chasing". A more value focused approach would probably alleviate questions like you posed.

Quick example in my world. I build houses and sell them for a profit. If it was only that deep I would quit or change paths every time the going got tough (losing money etc.). My mission however is to improve the quality of life for my customers. I do that by building beautiful, safe houses that serve as a solid investment for them. Even a market correction won't stop my mission. I just may have to adjust something to continue providing that value.

You are obviously very talented and I wish you nothing but success! Welcome to the forum.
This is one of those pieces of advise I feel like I keep finding (whether it through books, podcasts, etc.) as I am searching for my next steps.

Thanks for laying this out. I really think I need to think longer term (5-10 years) down the line.

And thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest1y4212

Interesting post!

When you ran these businesses what was your plan for owner compensation? Was your line of thinking to make a profit on the biz first, then once there is a lot of profit distribute this profit to the owners?

What if you paid part of the profits out along the way? Do you think this could have changed the outcome?

The concept of 'pay yourself first'. At least if the biz didn't work out you can apply the savings to other projects / investments.

If the businesses isn't able to reliably turn a profit while giving you money to pay yourself it might not be economical in the long run.

It seems like you have learned a lot with respect to launching products, working with a niche, etc. The problems with your previous biz seems more like capital management problems / cash-flow management problems. Maybe look into this more. Managing money and launching a biz are different skill sets.

Maybe find a good CPA to add to your team.
Hey @Hong_Kong - thanks for the reply.

When running the most recent business with my partner, the plan was to pull and take distributions as we could, which I ended up doing after the end of 2020 when we had our big year.

The thing is however is that once March 2021 hit, we started going negative, kept going negative, and then by May we had accumulated a debt with our supplier which grew and grew. We couldn't justify taking any distributions from the company even further. So I literally spent all of 2021 trying to claw back so that we could satisfy the balance we owed to our suppliers, but that just lead the hole being dug deeper and deeper.

During this time we were paying ourselves salaries.

I totally agree with you in that the whole finance side of the business, I did not understand. And still need to learn. This has been a main focus of mine going forward.

Any books you recommend on the subject or resources to help with future ventures?

G

Guest1y4212

Thanks for the heads up.

Importing can provide much of what is missing in "system", provided you don't follow the crowd and source on Alibaba and similar sites.
  • It can get you out of the "me too" crowd.
  • It can help you find products that have never previously been imported into the USA.
  • It can provide more control over supply, with security that comes with control.
  • It can give you profit margins that will blow you away. (In my B2B importing business I never netted less than 60% profit. but much higher margins are possible.
I am happy to answer questions on the subject, or see my AMA:

Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import. Product sourcing specialist.

Walter
Hi Walter,

Thanks so much for this feedback.

Most of what I would do would be sourcing from Alibaba.

I now am very focused on in my next chapter, is creating a brand and trying to make a differentiated product from the get go.

G

Guest1y4212

Congrats on your effort and experience. I know it may seem hard to see right now, but you are already well on your way to being successful, even if you have $0.

What you wrote here is the part often not added to the forum, it's the bottoms of the roller coaster ride.

Everyone i have worked with over the years... what I call colleagues who i grew up with in biz... has gone through this. This includes me as well. There are guys I know that are really successful now, and I paid their rent less than a decade ago. Some of them have dug me out of holes as well.

This is the path you chose, you you chose it for a reason... that's why you are still here and not talking about getting a job or a handout.

No one will tell you what next thing will work out, and you know that already too. I can almost gaurantee you'll be your version of success in less than a decade if you focus. I work with guys just like you every day, the thing that gets you stuck is uncertainty often times, but you aren't unique in that, everyone else working towards the same or similar goals feels the exact same way.

___

To answer your questions briefly

I would advise you to work on a vision for yourself.

In order to feel like you are on the correct path in the future, you are going to want to know what the outcome is, otherwise how would you know if you had the right directions.

You are going to not only have to do things different, but you are going to become a different person as well. If we know those both change over the course of time, why don't we tune it to what we know we want as of today. (this may/will change over time)

Once you have that vision, Use it to make your next steps visible. What ever the next product or service you create, make sure it lines up with your outcomes in your vision. Whether the vehicle to get there (that product or service) is right, wont matter, if you keep stepping up to bat and making sure you are looking at the stadium stands when you hit... youll eventually hit it out of the park.

Hope this helps to get you to the next step, keep us in the loop and be accountable now that you got us invested! :D
@LightHouse - This was amazing, and so well put. I am honestly going to take the night tonight just to map this vision out.

I also just checked your thread and think it's amazing what you are doing. I do see also that you just recently got out of surgery. First, I hope you are recovering well. And second, it means so much that you took the time out of your day to reply and help me out, even under these circumstances. So thank you.

I know that no one is going to hand me the answer and tell me exactly what I need to do. And honestly the uncertainty part has been the hardest.

I had a huge vision in the way in which I was going to part ways with my partner, possibly exit this company, and move on to the bigger and better things. This scenario is honestly one of those things I did not think would happen. Until I faced the reality of the situation, and had to suit up and face what was really happening before it got even worse.

I have one question however, I feel as if my goals and vision I just have not yet properly mapped out yet when it comes to business.

I find it very difficult to envision exactly what industries, or products I will be offering the world. But I do however have a rough vision of how I want my future company to be structured, and also how I want my lifestyle to look in 5 years and 10 year (10 years a little foggy).

I understand also that you are not taking on new clients, but I am wondering. Are there any exercises you would recommend I go through that could help me with the clarity on my vision?

Again, thank you for the feedback on this thread. It means so much to me to come on here and read this.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Ok, il y a beaucoup de choses dans mon histoire et je veux donner un peu de contexte. En ce moment, j'ai 21 ans et je vis à Austin, au Texas. J'ai grandi à New York, je suis allé à l'université, mais j'ai ensuite abandonné ma 3e année après avoir lancé mon entreprise ecom. The Millionaire Fastlane était l'un de ces livres cruciaux pour moi qui m'aventurait dans mon voyage, l'ayant lu encore et encore, puis repassant à travers des chapitres spécifiques. @MJ DeMarco, merci pour tout cela, cela a eu un effet énorme sur la trajectoire de ma vie.

Fin 2018, alors que j'étais à l'université, j'explorais différents modèles commerciaux pour gagner de l'argent. De fil en aiguille, je suis tombé sur le e-commerce, plus précisément sur le dropshipping. J'étais un accro de la vitesse et de l'exécution. Tester des tonnes de produits différents et les commercialiser sur Facebook. J'ai fini par faire évoluer mon premier commerce électronique à un peu au nord d'environ 100 000 $ de revenus mes premiers mois à l'été 2019. Le produit était une lampe anti-moustiques. Trouvé une niche dans la communauté RV & Camping pour ce produit. J'ai démarré sans aucun argent en utilisant des comptes Facebook d'amis et de famille pour rejoindre des groupes Facebook de RV, et j'ai promu sans vergogne le produit de leur point de vue, en envoyant du trafic vers mon site Web et en obtenant des milliers de dollars de ventes gratuites, puis en réalisant ce produit sur Aliexpress. Après la fin de ce fiasco,

Pendant tout ce temps, je voulais justifier l'abandon de l'université. Et pour moi, ce chiffre représentait un bénéfice de 100 000 $, à la banque. C'était mon objectif centralisé. Une fois là-bas, je pourrais abandonner, déménager à Austin (où je suis maintenant), et ma vie d'entrepreneur "commencerait"

Sur ma prochaine entreprise "de travail" à la fin de 2019. J'ai trouvé un tweet viral en ligne qui est devenu très politique et porté dans la chasse au porc sur le sujet des armes d'assaut avec tout un débat à côté.
View attachment 43650
En plus d'avoir vu une vidéo de VICE sur YouTube montrant des gens partant à la "chasse au porc en hélicoptère" au Texas, je savais que c'était une idée de travail sur laquelle je pouvais capitaliser. Avec cela, j'ai testé un autre produit Aliexpress, qui était une lunette de vision nocturne que j'ai spécifiquement commercialisée auprès des chasseurs de porcs, en utilisant une copie marketing en tant que telle "Que faites-vous si 30 à 50 porcs sauvages envahissent votre propriété ? Chassez-les la nuit... Obtenez cette lunette de vision nocturne bla bla bla". Cela revenait à augmenter très rapidement ce produit à environ 350 000 $ de revenus, mais peu de temps après, il m'a explosé au visage, j'ai été interdit de diffuser des publicités sur Facebook, j'ai perdu mon directeur commercial et mon profil Facebook personnel. La logistique était également un gâchis complet avec des tonnes de produits défectueux, entraînant des rétrofacturations. Là encore, il me restait à peu près 0 $ de profit. Fini "

Après cela, je suis retourné à l'université pour ma 3e année en 2020, ayant lu des tonnes de livres pendant cette période et ayant la ferme conviction que ce n'est pas ce que j'étais censé faire de ma vie. J'en avais marre. Je testais des dizaines de produits. Des fournitures de jardin aux équipements de fitness, en passant par les kits de prorogation des plantes. J'étais un fou de tomber sur le "succès" pour pouvoir enfin justifier de quitter l'école.

J'étais désespéré, je n'avais absolument aucun capital et je suis tombé sur une personne dans un groupe Facebook dont je n'ajouterai pas le nom ici. Après quelques mois de va-et-vient, et moi étant à l'un de mes bas les plus bas, j'ai décidé que faire cela avec lui en tant que partenaire 50/50 serait mon meilleur pari. Son expérience était dans la crypto-monnaie et Amazon FBA, et il n'avait absolument aucune connaissance du commerce électronique direct aux consommateurs, MAIS il avait du capital. Au cours des prochains mois, mon partenariat avec lui me permettra de continuer librement ce processus fou de test de tonnes de produits et de les dropshipping à l'aide de publicités Facebook (encore discutable de la viabilité de cette approche).

Après des mois et des mois (avec moi faisant la plupart du travail lourd et prévoyant de mettre fin à ce partenariat) en août 2020, nous sommes tombés sur un nouveau produit que nous avons testé dans l'espace d'éclairage de la décoration intérieure. Avec moi à la tête de la croissance et du marketing, nous avons fait évoluer l'entreprise vers les chiffres de revenus suivants. Nous avons pu faire ces chiffres parce que nous avions des conditions de fournisseur très favorables et que nous faisions également des livraisons directes de ces produits... donc pas de coûts d'inventaire initiaux. 30 000 $ de revenus en août. Revenus de 250 000 $ en septembre. Octobre 600 000 $ de revenus. Revenus de 2 millions de dollars en novembre. Décembre 2,1 millions de dollars de revenus. Nous avons terminé l'année avec près de 950 000 $ de profit pur dans le cadre de l'entreprise. Ouah.
View attachment 43651

Ensuite, nous avons entamé le processus jusqu'en 2021, qui sera l'une des plus grandes années d'apprentissage de toute ma vie.

2020 : $
2021 : Nous avons PERDU 601 920 $
2022 : Nous fermons l'entreprise

Putain de merde, je pensais en y repensant. Comment ai-je pu être si stupide ? Je pensais que j'étais au sommet du monde, jusqu'à maintenant. Pendant le processus, tant de pensées m'ont traversé l'esprit alors que ce "succès" s'arrachait lentement et lentement à moi. Perdre de l'argent presque tous les mois de l'année. "Nous allons rebondir" me suis-je dit ainsi qu'à mon partenaire.

Nous dépensions agressivement et acquérions des clients à perte. Essayer de faire fonctionner les publicités payantes comme elles l'ont si bien fait pour nous en 2020. S'accrocher au passé comme si cela continuerait à se produire. Penser que les mêmes stratégies et tactiques qui nous ont amenés à X nous amèneraient à Y. C'était une erreur stupide.

Également au cours de l'année 2021, j'ai optimisé nos frais généraux pour maintenir une activité de 2 millions de dollars par mois, mais j'ai refusé de réduire parce que j'avais peur du changement. Je suis devenu satisfait car toute l'entreprise que j'avais construite se transformait en lambeaux. À un moment donné, nos frais généraux étaient d'environ 80 000 $ par mois. Pour quelle raison? Nous avons pris des décisions d'embauche terribles, nous n'avons pas innové et pivoté, nous ne nous sommes pas suffisamment concentrés sur l'expérience client, nous n'avons pas diversifié les canaux de trafic et nous n'avions pas de véritable mission ou vision pour l'entreprise. C'était un gâchis absolu.

J'allais littéralement me coucher tous les jours après avoir perdu quelques milliers de dollars de revenus, avec une vision aussi aveuglément optimiste de l'avenir de l'entreprise.

Mon partenaire commercial vérifiait également lentement et lentement toutes les activités de prise de décision au cours de cette année en 2021. Échouer à intensifier et à s'approprier certaines des mauvaises décisions, et à aider avec les nouvelles décisions qui devaient être prises. Cela m'a donné l'impression d'avoir une livre de briques sur le dos. J'ai pris toutes les décisions difficiles. J'étais bouleversé à l'époque, mais avec le recul maintenant, je suis heureux d'avoir dû prendre ces décisions, car il y avait tellement de croissance dans tout cela.

Avec cette perte nette de 600 000 $ sur l'entreprise, puis l'accumulation de près de 280 000 $ de dettes sur l'entreprise auprès des fournisseurs, des cartes de crédit, des prêts de fonds de roulement... J'ai pris la décision exécutive de cesser tout ce que nous faisions et de fermer l'entreprise. J'ai dû faire face à la réalité de la situation et passer à autre chose. C'était si difficile parce que j'avais une vision tellement large de cette entreprise dans son ensemble. Nous voulions pénétrer de nouveaux marchés, développer de nouvelles marques et tirer parti des économies d'échelle que la croissance nous permettait de réaliser. Mais il fallait le faire.

Avec le recul, c'était nécessaire. J'étais naïf. Je travaillais dans un partenariat où je faisais près de 90% de tout le travail. Et l'entreprise saignait.

Tout cela, je le traversais à l'âge mûr de 19 à 20 ans. Ayant maintenant 21 ans maintenant, je sais que je vais probablement regarder en arrière et être très reconnaissant pour les leçons que j'ai apprises. Mais la réalité est que je navigue encore beaucoup dans ce gâchis et que je voulais partager cela avec vous.

Donc, dans ce prochain chapitre de mon parcours d'entrepreneuriat, j'essaie de trouver mes prochaines étapes, les prochaines opportunités pour moi-même. Ayant maintenant incorporé et construit ma nouvelle entité commerciale, j'essaie de comprendre quoi faire. J'ai l'impression d'être au sommet d'une montagne avec un sourire sur le visage, puis d'être soudainement jeté du haut de la falaise, la tête cognée et le corps fortement meurtri et tombant lentement et douloureusement... maintenant ici, debout au pied du montagne à nouveau, je me demande comment y retourner ? Ces mêmes stratégies fonctionneront-elles que j'ai utilisées pour monter là-haut pendant ce court laps de temps ? Et toute une série d'autres questions me viennent à l'esprit en ce qui concerne mon prochain voyage à conquérir.

Ce que je recherche spécifiquement dans ce fil et cet article, c'est de demander à la communauté et à d'autres entrepreneurs prospères (plus expérimentés) ce qu'ils me recommanderaient de faire ensuite.

Peut-être que c'est plus un problème d'état d'esprit que je dois résoudre à partir de la racine, mais au cours des 3 derniers mois, j'ai eu l'impression d'avoir été jeté dans l'océan, sans aucune direction claire sur où nager. Je suis dans un endroit où je n'ai actuellement pas d'entreprise sur laquelle je travaille au jour le jour. Sorte de perdu avec où aller ensuite. Mon cercle de compétence se situe principalement dans le e-commerce.

Avec toutes ces lois et réglementations sur la confidentialité des données et Facebook étant une plate-forme si chère, je me demande si mes compétences sont encore applicables dans le domaine du commerce électronique. Suis-je encore naïf ou devrais-je remettre en question les industries qui pivotent ?

Je me demande également si mon approche d'homme fou pour tester des produits comme je le faisais est même réalisable dans le paysage actuel du commerce électronique, avec des scores de flux stricts en place pour Facebook et les interdictions. Et les plateformes publicitaires étant de plus en plus chères.

J'ai l'impression qu'il y avait une rue vers l'or dans le commerce électronique dans laquelle j'étais à l'époque, mais maintenant c'est passé. Et je ne sais pas s'il est judicieux de continuer à enfoncer le même clou, ou si j'analyse trop "revenir dans le jeu".

Même si j'ai tant appris et tant fait de ces opportunités que j'ai créé, j'ai aussi l'impression d'être tellement en retard par rapport à ce que je devrais être... Et tellement en retard par rapport à mes objectifs.

Alors voici mes questions pour vous les gars si vous avez déjà eu un scénario similaire :
1. Y at-il eu un moment dans votre carrière où vous avez pensé à un stade intermédiaire et vous êtes senti un peu perdu. Si oui, comment avez-vous géré cela ?
2. Si vous deviez tester une nouvelle marque / un nouveau produit e-commerce dans le climat actuel, comment feriez-vous pour le valider et le tester ? Et devrai-je même me loger là-dessus ?
3. Lorsque vous vous retrouvez perdu et que vous ne savez pas quoi faire, comment restez-vous sur la bonne voie ?
4. Des ressources que quelqu'un recommanderait pour cela ?

Merci d'avoir lu ceci. Ceci est mon premier message posté. J'ai tellement appris de ces discussions. Cela m'a également aidé à prendre ma décision concernant mon déménagement ici et l'analyse des coûts-avantages de rester à New York par rapport à vivre ici. Je pourrais dire que c'était l'une des meilleures décisions que j'ai prises dans ma vie jusqu'à présent.
ah your journey has been a bit long in so few years and full of experience. The most important thing is to learn the best lessons from this journey, and not to get discouraged by continuing to try. Through your text I see that you are this guy who is not ready to let it go. .in business, you only need to be right once to forget all the pain you've endured along the way. So I wish you more courage and thank you for having this with us.

.about your questions, I don't have an answer, I think the other members have already provided a brief answer to your questions. Currently I am facing a situation similar to the situation. .because my last two years of university studies, I was doing business in parallel with my studies. I would say that I was more focused on business than studies. .but I do business that I had no control over (Here is one of the businesses I have: CROWD1... I spend enough there but zero gain). Whose input, the need was quite low. Most now is I was able to know what I should or shouldn't do. .and I'm proud to have experienced so many things. So I learned from it.
Currently, my biggest concern is to learn new coding skills and start a fastlane business. E-commerce keeps coming back to me in my ideas that I jot down in my diary. .so I'm thinking of linking that to this company once founded.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

View: https://twitter.com/callicrates_/status/1503472693529690114

Read the book below, because the author did exactly the same thing.

Trump declared bankruptcy what, 7 times? I think he's doing alright right now.

You took serious swings at a young age and even though you lost a lot recently, you still had major wins (the median household income in the US is like $70K, and you did 13-14x that in one year).

You're gonna bounce back dude.

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
Great story and you really achieved a lot in such a short time.

I'm in quite a similar situation right now, albeit with lower numbers. I started my ecommerce business at 19. Sales - year 1: $105k, year 2: $248k, year 3: $135k, year 4: $124k.

with such a blindly optimistic view of the future of the business.
Same! In year 2 our sales were high because my niche was trending. I didn't realise the high sales were a temporary thing. As sales climbed, I assumed they would continue climbing or level out. I never thought sales would fall.

I had hired 2 employees, upsized to renting a bigger warehouse and essentially 'reinvested' any profit on overheads. As sales started falling I blamed it on marketing strategy so we tried different things. I ignored the real problem that the product we were selling were not as in demand anymore. Debt built up and sales continued falling.

I then re-read Profit First by Mike Michalowicz, which finally made me face the situation I was in. I accepted that the business would collapse if I didn't take the necessary action. I let the employees go and downsized to a smaller warehouse. It was a slap in the face and hit my ego/vision hard. I'm going to close my business at the end of the year because of the low demand and also I want to do something different.

It's hard knowing what to do next when you've just closed a business. There's no clear career paths when you take an unconventional route. Personally I want some time off. My plan is to travel for a while to reset. After that start a business but I'm not sure what yet. For you as @Simon Angel mentioned, there's an opportunity for you to teach others whatever topic you think you did best in and share your story.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI

View attachment 43650

View attachment 43651

So how come your ecommerce business started off so strong, then tanked? I am in the real estate and landscaping business, so I am not familiar with this industry

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hi Walter,

Thanks so much for this feedback.

Most of what I would do would be sourcing from Alibaba.

I now am very focused on in my next chapter, is creating a brand and trying to make a differentiated product from the get go.
I wrote earlier that you should search for something that has never been imported into the USA, but you will find it difficult to find such on Alibaba, because most eCommerce people in the USA don't think past Alibaba. Some will look at similar sites, but there they will find similar products.

If you do want to keep searching on Alibaba, at least make sure you are dealing with genuine manufacturers. If you find what looks like a good supplier, I would be happy to check them out for you if you send me their name via PM.

I would advise you to search in countries other than China. There are 40 countries that have exporters looking for customers, and I provide links to genuine B2B export sites in my book.

Walter

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I loved your story man, congrats on being able to achieve such amazing figures at a young age. The fact that you're an execution junkie as you would call it is awesome, most of us are on the opposite end. With those skills, surely as a worst case scenario you could find a job that pays at least 100k? Most people don't have the experience that you do, they just worked on other people's businesses, but you have your own.

The way I see it is that there is 2 options, either just get a regular job and pay it off slowly, or start another business and make it successful. Both options sound painful, but in the long term sounds like the second option is more bearable.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Amazing story, thank you for sharing it.
First of all, congratulations. You are a very special kind of person and you clearly have the skills and know-how to be extraordinarily successful.

I don't have enough experience to give any meaningful advice on the business, but I will say something which applies to life in general:

Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody fails.
We just fail on different scales, depending on the level of success we achieved. Some get fired from their job, some lose millions of dollars, some billions.

When you fall down, get up immediately.
Don't spend to much time in the "I don't know what to do" phase. It only leads to inaction and self-destructive behavior.

Evaluate the situation, make a new plan, get back on the horse, and move forward. Because the alternative is worse.

Empires rise and fall, most businesses will fail. But it's important that you keep the lessons learned and save as much capital as you can to bankroll the next business attempt.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
@LightHouse - This was amazing, and so well put. I am honestly going to take the night tonight just to map this vision out.

I also just checked your thread and think it's amazing what you are doing. I do see also that you just recently got out of surgery. First, I hope you are recovering well. And second, it means so much that you took the time out of your day to reply and help me out, even under these circumstances. So thank you.

I know that no one is going to hand me the answer and tell me exactly what I need to do. And honestly the uncertainty part has been the hardest.

I had a huge vision in the way in which I was going to part ways with my partner, possibly exit this company, and move on to the bigger and better things. This scenario is honestly one of those things I did not think would happen. Until I faced the reality of the situation, and had to suit up and face what was really happening before it got even worse.

I have one question however, I feel as if my goals and vision I just have not yet properly mapped out yet when it comes to business.

I find it very difficult to envision exactly what industries, or products I will be offering the world. But I do however have a rough vision of how I want my future company to be structured, and also how I want my lifestyle to look in 5 years and 10 year (10 years a little foggy).

I also understand that you are not taking on new clients, but I am wondering. Are there any exercises you would recommend I go through that could help me with the clarity on my vision?

Again, thank you for the feedback on this thread. It means so much to me to come on here and read this.

Uncertainty is definitely the hardest emotion that any entrepreneur has to get used to handling. It will never end, and it will never be satisfied, even with $10M. Part of the early journey is getting used to and navigating these things since it is a muscle that has to be trained. When you think about the actual business/tactics side... it's fairly linear and simple, business is science and can be repeated over and over..... the hard part is fitting your mind to do the opposite of what it thinks is "normal".

Fr your long term vision, you might not have specific detail on the biz itself... that's ok. That will come around as you get more information. Your vision isn't a one and done ordeal, it's a living document. It needs to adapt to life and current events fairly regularly.

But what you may already know is both what you want to become and who you want to become in say, 5 years. You can start with that part, and start fitting things around it.

You may find that you don't like having partners... and part of your vision is that you are not in a partnered business. Now think about that helps when you are assessing your next move... you know what won't be part of the equation and can easily turn those opportunities down and narrow your focus. This increases certainty as well.

Super excited to watch this thread unfold both with your account and others stories that seem to be showing up. Keep us in the loop! (also feel free to share your vision here if you are so inclined and it's not private to you. I am sure many would find the reference helpful :D

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Great story and you really achieved a lot in such a short time.

I'm in quite a similar situation right now, albeit with lower numbers. I started my ecommerce business at 19. Sales - year 1: $105k, year 2: $248k, year 3: $135k, year 4: $124k.

Same! In year 2 our sales were high because my niche was trending. I didn't realize the high sales were a temporary thing. As sales climbed, I assumed they would continue climbing or level out. I never thought sales would fall.

I had hired 2 employees, upsized to renting a bigger warehouse and essentially 'reinvested' any profit on overheads. As sales started falling I blamed it on marketing strategy so we tried different things. I ignored the real problem that the product we were selling were not as in demand anymore. Debt built up and sales continued falling.

I then re-read Profit First by Mike Michalowicz, which finally made me face the situation I was in. I accepted that the business would collapse if I didn't take the necessary action. I let the employees go and downsized to a smaller warehouse. It was a slap in the face and hit my ego/vision hard. I'm going to close my business at the end of the year because of the low demand and also I want to do something different.

It's hard knowing what to do next when you've just closed a business. There's no clear career paths when you take an unconventional route. Personally I want some time off. My plan is to travel for a while to reset. After that start a business but I'm not sure what yet. For you as @Simon Angel mentioned, there's an opportunity for you to teach others whatever topic you think you did best in and share your story.

Thanks for adding your story as well Tony100! You are right about focusing on the wrong things, and I can tell you there are a LOT of folks here that went through the exact same thing. It wasn't something unique to you, when you don't know, you just don't know. With ecommerce and retail in general, trends def don't last. The ones that do are commoditized and they race to the bottom of the profit margin .

Y said you were planning on shutting down end of year... when just run into the dead end? Why not cut ties now, or make a dramatic and bold shift with the company to see what it has left in it? (just curious, no assumptions here!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you for sharing your war-stories. We often learn much more through our mistakes and failures. Appreciate the courage to share this with us. Upgraded to Gold.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.