The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Fastlane Success (8 figure exit!) - Now Back to the Starting Ground !!

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

Myster kouadj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Mar 13, 2022
It sounds like you are asking a question that will be impossible to answer without knowing your values and risk tolerance.

Personally, we did not feel confident enough to leave our "standard career path" that would pay for our daily lives until we actually started making money with our businesses. So if you are depending on your paycheck to live, then I recommend trying to build your business in your spare time. But that is just based on our values and risk tolerance!
Ok c'est vrai, je verrai bien Quoi faire. merci bien pour la réponse, elle est satisfaisante et je vous comprends.
Mais s'il vous plaît, dites moi pendant que vous étiez entrain de vouloir démarrer( au début de la création de votre entreprise amazonienne) ou trouver des produits à vendre , jusqu'à combien de temps étiez-vous stressés ou quand cela s'est arrêté ?
Merci

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MveloWins

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Nov 19, 2013
South Africa
OK so there's a lot to my story - my journey and how it all happened (I'd be willing to share if there's any interest) - but long story short I have recently achieved the pinnacle of the 'fastlane journey' - selling my online business a year ago and amassing a low 8 figure net worth.

This was not a 'get rich quick' story either as this took the better part of the last 15 years to begin my entrepreneurship journey full time, and eventually build a business to the point of sale a decade later. I was working a full time corporate job (with my slowlane degree!) prior to embarking on this wild ride. I quit at 25 years old, and never looked back again or had a boss since that lovely July day. There were MANY failures, trials and tribulations along the way. If you want a 'process' and not an 'event' ---> I am no better example of that.

I am now at a point of figuring out what the best next steps forward are. Some of the things I have started working towards is thinking about starting another business for fun rather than just profit (orienting it closer towards a passion), currently investing the proceeds of the business sale, and gauging if there are other values to chase in this lifetime vs. the constant pursuit of building / scaling / selling businesses and building wealth for wealth's sake (once you figure out your 'enough').

I am late 30s with a small family (one child) and *think* I have close to enough to make my money last until the day I die, so pursuing extra wealth through hard work and additional sacrifice is becoming less and less appealing with each passing day. I have experienced all the exotic rides, dream vacations, top restaurants and parties (all responsibly of course) and many of all the other luxury goods we all aspire to. While great in its own right, and was a lot of my motivation from the get-go -- much of that has lost its charms on me over the years.

Additionally, I am looking forward to merging my life towards providing value to any/all that want help with business advice in any facet. My schedule is open now (as I consider myself partially retired) and I am open to mentoring / coaching anyone who is interested in entrepreneurship, scaling a business or just thinking of ideas / niches to pursue.

I haven't participated much on these boards while pursuing my entrepreneurial journey but am at a point now where I have the time, motivation and willingness to engage in helping others achieve 'the dream.'

In a way I am now back to ground zero - and yes, even though the pressures of day-to-day paycheck are further beyond me, I am in many ways faced with the same but different constraints that I was bootstrapping and growing a business, or trying to figure what is it now that I'm 'optimizing' for.

I am very conservative in my investments as well, so having money does not automatically enroll you in some special club where now 'making money' becomes much easier (in facts sometimes its the opposite when you are afraid of losing it all).

For those wondering how I made the bulk of my money it was through various e-com ventures, latest being an Amazon FBA business that led to an exit. The 'process' took me the better part of the last decade (the Amazon business actually was started exactly a decade ago this month!) - but I have been entrepreneurial in various facets since the age of 14.

While I haven't hit all the tenets of CENTS with my last business (primarily violating control and entry) - the rest of them were hit right on the mark to make it a success.

I'm still learning and browsing these forums weekly but will plan and contribute more as time goes on!
Congratulations on all your success. What an inspiration! Looking forward to learning from you.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Running a quick french--> english translator I think this is the question you are asking ... '
'Please tell me while you were in the process of wanting to get started (at the beginning of setting up your Amazon business) or finding products to sell, how long were you stressed or when did it end? stopped ?
Thank you'
Honestly the stress never goes away. There are different types of stress and questions / mindsets along the way...

The best I can summarize - is it just changes. Here is a typical map experienced with the most recent business we built up and sold...over the course of a decade

1 - Product research / what to sell / OMG I'm making a big investment / Will this work out ... I'm putting in LOTS of work without instant results...and yet I'm not rich or an overnight success, the gurus lied!!
2 - I'm converting some sales, I'm making a profit, how do I scale ...
3 - My company is growing, I need to add and hire employees, increase my product offerings ...
4 - How do we take the business a notch higher, look for other ways of advertising, promotion etc ...
5 - How much bigger do we want to grow this company, is there a better use of my time, are we working on the business or in the business....which ultimate leads to....is it time to sell ...
6 - Yes - we're selling - is this the right move?
7 - Yes! The business is sold ... what now!!??

Long story short, there are stresses and challenges every single damn day.

The funny part is post business sale, and accumulation of wealth - the stress is ever present, just in a different form.

There are new questions that pop up now that the business is sold. In some ways the new questions are tougher to answer then the ones I had a decade back. The variables are different. My age is different. My motivations are different. My values changed. I also have a growing family etc. But that won't stop me from evolving and doing what I need to do to move forward !!

As they say you must love the process.

The journey , whether with business or any other part of my life has been much 'sweeter' then the destination.

The 'event' itself (selling a business, getting married, buying a lambo, reaching many travel destinations) - has been mostly irrelevant and very uneventful.

It is the labor, thoughts, contemplations, ups and downs, emotions, arguments, pondering if this is all worth it along the way --- that are REALLY the prize to it all.

Congratulations on all your success. What an inspiration! Looking forward to learning from you.
Thanks! Looking forward to providing and delivering as much value as I can. And learning / refining how to deliver my message simultaneously!

Last edited:

Myster kouadj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Mar 13, 2022
Honnêtement, le stress ne s'en va jamais. Il existe différents types de stress et de questions/états d'esprit en cours de route...

Le mieux que je puisse résumer - c'est que ça change. Voici une carte typique expérimentée avec l'entreprise la plus récente que nous avons créée et vendue... au cours d'une décennie

1 - Recherche de produits / quoi vendre / OMG Je fais un gros investissement / Est-ce que ça marchera... Je fais BEAUCOUP de travail sans résultats instantanés... et pourtant je ne suis pas riche ou un succès du jour au lendemain , les gourous ont menti !!
2 - Je convertis des ventes, je réalise des bénéfices, comment puis-je évoluer ...
3 - Mon entreprise grandit, j'ai besoin d'ajouter et d'embaucher des employés, d'augmenter mon offre de produits...
4 - Comment faire monter le business d'un cran plus haut, chercher d'autres moyens de publicité, de promotion etc...
5 - Dans quelle mesure voulons-nous développer cette entreprise, y a-t-il une meilleure utilisation de mon temps, travaillons-nous sur l'entreprise ou dans l'entreprise... ce qui mène finalement à... est-il temps de vendre. ..
6 - Oui - nous vendons - est-ce la bonne décision ?
7 - Oui ! L'entreprise est vendue ... et maintenant !!??

Pour faire court, il y a du stress et des défis chaque jour.

La partie amusante est la vente après la vente et l'accumulation de richesses - le stress est toujours présent, mais sous une forme différente.

De nouvelles questions surgissent maintenant que l'entreprise est vendue. À certains égards, il est plus difficile de répondre aux nouvelles questions que celles que j'avais il y a dix ans. Les variables sont différentes. Mon âge est différent. Mes motivations sont différentes. Mes valeurs ont changé. J'ai aussi une famille qui s'agrandit etc. Mais ça ne m'empêchera pas d'évoluer et de faire ce qu'il faut pour avancer !!

The journey , whether with business or any other part of my life has been much 'sweeter' then the destination.

The 'event' itself (selling a business, getting married, buying a lambo, reaching many travel destinations) - has been mostly irrelevant and very uneventful.
Ok c'est bien noté. Merci beaucoup pour éclaircissements.
It is the labor, thoughts, contemplations, ups and downs, emotions, arguments, pondering if this is all worth it along the way --- that are REALLY the prize to it all.

Thanks! Looking forward to providing and delivering as much value as I can. And learning / refining how to deliver my message simultaneously!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Myster kouadj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Mar 13, 2022
Honestly the stress never goes away. There are different types of stress and questions / mindsets along the way...

The best I can summarize - is it just changes. Here is a typical map experienced with the most recent business we built up and sold...over the course of a decade

1 - Product research / what to sell / OMG I'm making a big investment / Will this work out ... I'm putting in LOTS of work without instant results...and yet I'm not rich or an overnight success, the gurus lied!!
3 - My company is growing, I need to add and hire employees, increase my product offerings ...
4 - How do we take the business a notch higher, look for other ways of advertising, promotion etc ...
5 - How much bigger do we want to grow this company, is there a better use of my time, are we working on the business or in the business....which ultimate leads to....is it time to sell ...

The funny part is post business sale, and accumulation of wealth - the stress is ever present, just in a different form.

There are new questions that pop up now that the business is sold. In some ways the new questions are tougher to answer then the ones I had a decade back. The variables are different. My age is different. My motivations are different. My values changed. I also have a growing family etc. But that won't stop me from evolving and doing what I need to do to move forward !!

It is the labor, , contemplations, ups and downs, emotions, arguments, pondering if this is all worth it along the way --- that are REALLY the prize to it all.

Thanks! Looking forward to providing and delivering as much value as I can. And learning / refining how to deliver my message simultane

Ok well noted. Thank you very much for clarifications

radiximus

New Contributor
May 23, 2022

I understand the game now is much different to when you started but i do have a question about starting off on ecom with low capital. Do you source products to sell in a certain niche from alibaba/distributors or go through the design and manufacture process yourself and design your own product.
I am guessing the second option is obviously better since you can work on flaws and create more value, but does this not cost more? Does it sell better than the cheap stuff before people realise the quality/value? (i am just wondering if buyers assume its also a cheap product riddled with flaws)

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I understand the game now is much different to when you started but i do have a question about starting off on ecom with low capital. Do you source products to sell in a certain niche from alibaba/distributors or go through the design and manufacture process yourself and design your own product.
I am guessing the second option is obviously better since you can work on flaws and create more value, but does this not cost more? Does it sell better than the cheap stuff before people realise the quality/value? (i am just wondering if buyers assume its also a cheap product riddled with flaws)
As you guessed, manufacturing your own is always better but it's also more investment. That's why we rely so heavily on our TESTING model. We ultimately want our own thing and we don't want to resell someone elses thing. You can't demand as much $, you won't have as unique of a product to set you apart, barrier to entry is so much lower, you won't be able to target the value creation as efficiently, you won't have as much of a profit margin, etc... But you also want some kind of reassurance before making big investments.

So in other words, we prefer the design/manufacture model of business but we hedge our losses by testing first.

Last edited:

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
It all depends on your abilities, budget and value add.

It is always best to create your own product / formula / unique offering, even if all it presents is a slight twist on what's already out. A Carbon Copy of something else that is already successful will only be that much harder to promote and compete with all the current offerings on the market.

The question always will be what value are you adding, or problem solving vs what has already been done before. Are you merely a me-too copycat (selling a face-wash), or did you come up with a unique formula where your face wash also doubles up as a shampoo - and now you have that many less products to worry about in the shower, etc.

Yes, creating from the ground up (or redesigning existing products) - will most usually cost more. If you have a smaller budget, that doesn't rule out other options though. Sometimes you can literally make a mock up yourself or a prototype of something else that you can sell and offer. Certain marketplaces were literally created for this purpose (think etsy!).

Yes, you will need investment and capital either on the product side and also on the marketing / ads side. There are countless ways to bootstrap if you are starting off small where sometimes the biggest investment will be your time and effort to test new ideas out.

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
- 'Passion' was never in the equation. Providing Value / Earning a living was itself the passion and a 'hobby'

- Deliberate small actions day in and day out is what carried us. Learning to profit $1 was a stepping stone to profiting $10. We made a plan and executed / adjusted daily along the way.

These 2 really hit me. I think this is what keeps getting me back to the same things I allways done (not working on my own future). Those covered in a sauce of imposter syndrome. Nice story to read, and congrats on your successes.

Djioul

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Apr 12, 2021
France
- 'Passion' was never in the equation. Providing Value / Earning a living was itself the passion and a 'hobby'
This one is super tricky in my case.

I've just started a thread for my new project. I focused on problem solving and to start with, I focused on my own problems. And the biggest problem that popped out concerns a piece of equipment that I use for one of my passions (motorcycling). I've been complaining for years about this stuff but now I decided to take actions.

The point is: I did not decide to start this project / brand because I absolutely want to enter the motorcycle business. In the end, I don't care which business I am in as long as I provide value to others (the first business I started (my wife's project) is in the field of jewelry... Not really one of my passions).

In this new case, as I was looking at my own struggles, there were high chances that I end up in a field somehow related to one of my passions.
I'm just trying to do everything to not be biased and to take some distance to evaluate the situation properly and focus on product / providing value first.

Did you also experience this kind of situation ?

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
This one is super tricky in my case.

I've just started a thread for my new project. I focused on problem solving and to start with, I focused on my own problems. And the biggest problem that popped out concerns a piece of equipment that I use for one of my passions (motorcycling). I've been complaining for years about this stuff but now I decided to take actions.

The point is: I did not decide to start this project / brand because I absolutely want to enter the motorcycle business. In the end, I don't care which business I am in as long as I provide value to others (the first business I started (my wife's project) is in the field of jewelry... Not really one of my passions).

In this new case, as I was looking at my own struggles, there were high chances that I end up in a field somehow related to one of my passions.
I'm just trying to do everything to not be biased and to take some distance to evaluate the situation properly and focus on product / providing value first.

Did you also experience this kind of situation ?
As long as you are trying to keep the primary focus in the correct places (providing value, earning income, etc), it's not a bad thing that the venture is in a passionate field. In fact it could be an advantage. You may be motivated to put in alot more work when it's in a field you enjoy. Or you may know a field much more deeply if it's one you have been in for long. With each of those avantages come their own minefields to avoid, but it sounds like you are handling it carefully.

wyattnorton

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jan 15, 2019
Deliberate small actions day in and day out is what carried us. Learning to profit $1 was a stepping stone to profiting $10. We made a plan and executed / adjusted daily along the way.
What were the daily actions you took with your business? How did you discover, plan, and then implement them?

Awesome stuff man!!

Djioul

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Apr 12, 2021
France
As long as you are trying to keep the primary focus in the correct places (providing value, earning income, etc), it's not a bad thing that the venture is in a passionate field. In fact it could be an advantage. You may be motivated to put in alot more work when it's in a field you enjoy. Or you may know a field much more deeply if it's one you have been in for long. With each of those avantages come their own minefields to avoid, but it sounds like you are handling it carefully.
Thanks for your reply !

Thanks also @fastlane_dad for this interesting thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore