The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlaner's Guide To GETTING HUGE! (Fast of course!)

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
MAKING MONEY AND MUSCLE WORK FOR YOU

Money and Muscle is without a doubt the best way to get laid but, we're here for
YOU

IF YOU'VE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH MAINTAINING MUSCLE AND STRENGTH THIS FORUM SOLVES IT ALL!

HOW DO I BUILD MUSCLE?

So, building muscle seems pretty straightforward on paper (Muscle tears, rebuilds) here's how THE FASTLANER can MAXIMIZE his efforts
  1. Eat MORE than enough (250-500 calories over Basal Metabolic Rates)
Energy can only be transferred, not created.
SO, we must eat more than our typical energy levels!

THREE MECHANISMS OF HYPERTROPHY

Brad Schoenfeld wrote a paper recently tailored around the Mechanics of muscle growth
  1. Mechanical Tension- Tension on the muscle is correlated to "intensity" when you're deadlifting so hard you feel like your skin will rip off the body, that's an example of HUGE intensity
  2. Metabolic Stress- To put this bluntly, when you feel the "pump" of a workout, that's metabolic build up. You accomplish this by higher repetition and CONSTANT tension.
  3. Muscle Damage- When you workout, obviously you damage your muscles so they can re-grow, Mechanical Tension is the best way to cause muscle damage, DONT OVERDO IT THOUGH
WHEN TO TRAIN, HOW LONG, WHEN TO REPEAT

The time to train is
NOW

How long

You should workout a specific exercise, with full rest in-between sets until you DECLINE in performance, then you are DONE with that exercise
(Do this for every major muscle group, that's your workout)

AGAIN?

This is where your instincts rule you. If you're just sore from your last workout, but mentally sharp and you're performing EVEN BETTER than previously, F*cking go!

IF NOT, take a day off.

It's up to you.

I really hope you guys could find some value in this post and I hope it helped! If you have questions feel free to comment or PM me!

Cheers!- Grayson. J

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

QueueQueue

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 12, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I second "Eat More". If you're lifting and not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. The best indicator as to whether your food intake is sufficient is seeing both the weight you're lifting and the number on the scale going up.

I have personally learned this through hitting plateaus that were only broken when I started force feeding myself.

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
I'm in the health and wellness business and you hear every type of health tip and broscience daily on the gym floor. What you said is a good starting point for many people who just want to start out. I have a bit of supplemental information to help those on the journey as well.

MACROS:

What's a macro? Macro is short for 'macronutrient' and represents carbohydrates, fats, and protein. You mentioned to "eat enough" but you need to eat enough of the RIGHT calories. You do this by determining your macronutrient amounts. Each macro has a set amount of calories associated with it. 1 gram of carbs and 1 gram of protein each have 4 calories associated with them while 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. A good resource to calculate your macros for your fitness goals is Calculate Your Macronutrients Intake!. From there, you multiply your macros by the calories associated with them to get your calorie goal. A good tool to track your macro/calorie intake is MyFitnessPal. It is an app you can put on your smartphone. You can build your recipes for your meal planning inside the app so it is easy to just click your meal and track the calorie intake from it. It also as the option to scan barcodes on food to see the nutritional information per serving and you are able to save it in the app as well. It is an AMAZING tool to tackle the diet portion of reaching your fitness goals.

We also want to make sure we are drinking enough water to hydrate our bodies. You should drink your body weight in oz a day, or about a little less than a gallon a day. It sounds like a lot up front, but if you are drinking periodically throughout the day, it is doable and beneficial. Just be prepared to piss a lot when you are first starting out. Your urine should be clear to slightly yellow. If you are pissing too much, you are pissing away nutrients. Vary your intake so that your urine is clear, and you are using the restroom just a few times a day, and not every hour!

EXERCISE:

When it comes to what or how to exercise, and when it comes to building strength AND mass, the barbell is king! If you are new to weight lifting, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stay away from isolation machines at first. So many people want to focus on their "beach" muscles (biceps, abs, etc). What this will do is cause muscle imbalances and weaknesses in your body that can lead to injuries down the road and restrict your mobility. The best way to explain why is the Big Rocks, Little Rocks example.

a5f1bfea7135c3772c3612e85295045e.jpg

Imagine your body as the mason jar and filling it would represent good health, strength, and muscle mass. We have big rocks, little, rocks, and sand to help us fill this jar. Think of the sand as a well balanced diet that fits your macro/health goals, the little rocks as isolation machines, and big rocks as big compound lifting movements. If we fill the jar with sand first, then the little rocks, then the big rocks, you have gaps left in the jar, BUT if we first fill it with big rocks, then the small rocks to fill the gaps in the big rocks, then the rest of the spaces with sand, we have a nice full jar!

Targeting specific muscle groups like biceps or abs is like filling your jar with little rocks first. You will create imbalances with your triceps, lower back, and lower body because you are targeting one muscle group only. INSTEAD, big, compound lifting movements such as bench, squat (THE KING), deadlift (THE QUEEN), overhead press, rows, and cleans activate and utilize SEVERAL muscle groups together to perform the movement. Not only are you working more muscles, but they are working together with all the smaller muscles and tissues to build a solid machine. The best book I have found for working with barbell exercise is "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe.

When we are starting out, a lot of us are starting from a sedentary lifestyle with a lot of sitting and hunched backs. With this a lot of people will have tightness and weakness in their posterior chain (calfs, hams, glutes) and shoulders. A good way to test for where you have weaknesses and imbalances is to do a FMS or functional Movement Screening. Now, where isolation machines comes into play is just like the example of the rocks above. We use isolation work to FIX our imbalances, and supplement the compound movements.

WARNING! If you are starting to do big compound lifts, such as squat, but have weaknesses in your posterior chain and glutes, your form will be terrible and can lead to injuries in your lower back. So what are we to do then?

Well, I personally am in this boat. I used to be extremely active in the military, got out and sat on my a$$ for a year. I wanted to get my strength and mass back, but found through an FMS that I have several imbalances and weaknesses in my body that would lead to injury if I were to start trying to throw heavy weights. SO, I decided to focus on bodyweight exercises to work my strengthening and stretch my weak muscles, as well as develop all the smaller muscles and connective tissue by working on my FORM with little weight or body weight alone. I do use isolation machines to target weaker muscle groups such as my hamstrings, and do supplemental exercise to strengthen my back and glutes such as bridging and reverse leg raises. Ultimately what all this is doing is working on my imbalances so that I can start with PERFECT FORM when I move to heavy weighted barbell exercise.

FORM FORM FORM! Form is SOOOOOO IMPORTANT! Put your pride aside, don't focus on weight, or looking impressive in front of others. Weight lifting and exercise is an individual journey. You MUST utilize a weight that you can perform exercises with PERFECT form. If that means you are just using a barbell with no weights (45lbs), then you are doing the barbell with no weights. But here is the kicker... when you start out like this, working on improving imbalances and weaknesses first and focusing on form above performance (weight), you will prevent injuries, be stronger overall, and when it comes to actually putting on the heavy weights, you will be WAY ahead of everyone else just jumping in and lifting for vanity. Your smaller muscles and connective tissues will all be working together, your muscle groups will all be working together, and so you will be way more efficient and safe when you get to the heavy weights.

Once we hit a level of building a solid foundation, and our form is good, we are seeing results, and perhaps starting to plateau, THEN we can start to look into supplementing our foundation with specialized isolation exercises for say bodybuilding, or doing a split routine.

TIME:

When it comes to when and how long to exercise, if you are starting out focusing on building mass and strength, stick to about 3-4 times a week with rest days between. If you want to be active every day, then do a stretching or yoga routine, or a light cardio exercise with stretching.

SUPPLEMENTS:

Supplements are a big area of discussion for many on a fitness journey thanks to such good marketing on their part. The name itself says all you need to do, SUPPLEMENTS. They are there to supplement any potential weaknesses or gaps in your diet. A great diet should give you all the nutrients you need, BUT, if you want to make sure your diet is solid, this is what I suggest.

-Protein powder: protein is one of the harder macros to hit, so supplementing with protein powder is a good idea. I typically mix a protein shake after a workout to deliver the nutrients right at a key window of absorbing what my body needs. I also will mix one to hit my macro goal for the day during a gap in the times I eat throughout the day. It isn't so much that YOU NEED TO DRINK PROTEIN POWDER, its more "when do I need to drink protein powder to hit my macro goal."

-Multivitamin: multivitamins are a great idea to help get the body the nutrients it needs that may be missing from your meals.

-Fish Oil: fish oils are a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids which have a plethora of benefits

-Pre-workout: Pre-workout isn't about getting cracked out to crush weights. The best approach to thinking about pre-workout is that it deliver nutrients to your body to help it during the workout. Some benefits to pre-workout are nitric oxide with improves blood flow which gives more oxygen to your muscles and carries away more waste, and several amino acids that help in metabolic processes that build muscle and repair tissue.

Everything else you probably don't need if you are getting a proper diet. BCAAs and Glutamine you will get naturally from food and also from the supplements mentioned above. To check the quality of your supplements, check out Supplement Ratings and Reviews, and to learn more about specific supplements, check out Independent Analysis on Supplements & Nutrition | Examine.com.

Hope this helps you guys!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
I'm in the health and wellness business and you hear every type of health tip and broscience daily on the gym floor. What you said is a good starting point for many people who just want to start out. I have a bit of supplemental information to help those on the journey as well.

MACROS:

What's a macro? Macro is short for 'macronutrient' and represents carbohydrates, fats, and protein. You mentioned to "eat enough" but you need to eat enough of the RIGHT calories. You do this by determining your macronutrient amounts. Each macro has a set amount of calories associated with it. 1 gram of carbs and 1 gram of protein each have 4 calories associated with them while 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. A good resource to calculate your macros for your fitness goals is Calculate Your Macronutrients Intake!. From there, you multiply your macros by the calories associated with them to get your calorie goal. A good tool to track your macro/calorie intake is MyFitnessPal. It is an app you can put on your smartphone. You can build your recipes for your meal planning inside the app so it is easy to just click your meal and track the calorie intake from it. It also as the option to scan barcodes on food to see the nutritional information per serving and you are able to save it in the app as well. It is an AMAZING tool to tackle the diet portion of reaching your fitness goals.

We also want to make sure we are drinking enough water to hydrate our bodies. You should drink your body weight in oz a day, or about a little less than a gallon a day. It sounds like a lot up front, but if you are drinking periodically throughout the day, it is doable and beneficial. Just be prepared to piss a lot when you are first starting out. Your urine should be clear to slightly yellow. If you are pissing too much, you are pissing away nutrients. Vary your intake so that your urine is clear, and you are using the restroom just a few times a day, and not every hour!

EXERCISE:

When it comes to what or how to exercise, and when it comes to building strength AND mass, the barbell is king! If you are new to weight lifting, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stay away from isolation machines at first. So many people want to focus on their "beach" muscles (biceps, abs, etc). What this will do is cause muscle imbalances and weaknesses in your body that can lead to injuries down the road and restrict your mobility. The best way to explain why is the Big Rocks, Little Rocks example.

Imagine your body as the mason jar and filling it would represent good health, strength, and muscle mass. We have big rocks, little, rocks, and sand to help us fill this jar. Think of the sand as a well balanced diet that fits your macro/health goals, the little rocks as isolation machines, and big rocks as big compound lifting movements. If we fill the jar with sand first, then the little rocks, then the big rocks, you have gaps left in the jar, BUT if we first fill it with big rocks, then the small rocks to fill the gaps in the big rocks, then the rest of the spaces with sand, we have a nice full jar!

Targeting specific muscle groups like biceps or abs is like filling your jar with little rocks first. You will create imbalances with your triceps, lower back, and lower body because you are targeting one muscle group only. INSTEAD, big, compound lifting movements such as bench, squat (THE KING), deadlift (THE QUEEN), overhead press, rows, and cleans activate and utilize SEVERAL muscle groups together to perform the movement. Not only are you working more muscles, but they are working together with all the smaller muscles and tissues to build a solid machine. The best book I have found for working with barbell exercise is "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe.

When we are starting out, a lot of us are starting from a sedentary lifestyle with a lot of sitting and hunched backs. With this a lot of people will have tightness and weakness in their posterior chain (calfs, hams, glutes) and shoulders. A good way to test for where you have weaknesses and imbalances is to do a FMS or functional Movement Screening. Now, where isolation machines comes into play is just like the example of the rocks above. We use isolation work to FIX our imbalances, and supplement the compound movements.

WARNING! If you are starting to do big compound lifts, such as squat, but have weaknesses in your posterior chain and glutes, your form will be terrible and can lead to injuries in your lower back. So what are we to do then?

Well, I personally am in this boat. I used to be extremely active in the military, got out and sat on my a$$ for a year. I wanted to get my strength and mass back, but found through an FMS that I have several imbalances and weaknesses in my body that would lead to injury if I were to start trying to throw heavy weights. SO, I decided to focus on bodyweight exercises to work my strengthening and stretch my weak muscles, as well as develop all the smaller muscles and connective tissue by working on my FORM with little weight or body weight alone. I do use isolation machines to target weaker muscle groups such as my hamstrings, and do supplemental exercise to strengthen my back and glutes such as bridging and reverse leg raises. Ultimately what all this is doing is working on my imbalances so that I can start with PERFECT FORM when I move to heavy weighted barbell exercise.

FORM FORM FORM! Form is SOOOOOO IMPORTANT! Put your pride aside, don't focus on weight, or looking impressive in front of others. Weight lifting and exercise is an individual journey. You MUST utilize a weight that you can perform exercises with PERFECT form. If that means you are just using a barbell with no weights (45lbs), then you are doing the barbell with no weights. But here is the kicker... when you start out like this, working on improving imbalances and weaknesses first and focusing on form above performance (weight), you will prevent injuries, be stronger overall, and when it comes to actually putting on the heavy weights, you will be WAY ahead of everyone else just jumping in and lifting for vanity. Your smaller muscles and connective tissues will all be working together, your muscle groups will all be working together, and so you will be way more efficient and safe when you get to the heavy weights.

Once we hit a level of building a solid foundation, and our form is good, we are seeing results, and perhaps starting to plateau, THEN we can start to look into supplementing our foundation with specialized isolation exercises for say bodybuilding, or doing a split routine.

TIME:

When it comes to when and how long to exercise, if you are starting out focusing on building mass and strength, stick to about 3-4 times a week with rest days between. If you want to be active every day, then do a stretching or yoga routine, or a light cardio exercise with stretching.

SUPPLEMENTS:

Supplements are a big area of discussion for many on a fitness journey thanks to such good marketing on their part. The name itself says all you need to do, SUPPLEMENTS. They are there to supplement any potential weaknesses or gaps in your diet. A great diet should give you all the nutrients you need, BUT, if you want to make sure your diet is solid, this is what I suggest.

-Protein powder: protein is one of the harder macros to hit, so supplementing with protein powder is a good idea. I typically mix a protein shake after a workout to deliver the nutrients right at a key window of absorbing what my body needs. I also will mix one to hit my macro goal for the day during a gap in the times I eat throughout the day. It isn't so much that YOU NEED TO DRINK PROTEIN POWDER, its more "when do I need to drink protein powder to hit my macro goal."

-Multivitamin: multivitamins are a great idea to help get the body the nutrients it needs that may be missing from your meals.

-Fish Oil: fish oils are a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids which have a plethora of benefits

-Pre-workout: Pre-workout isn't about getting cracked out to crush weights. The best approach to thinking about pre-workout is that it deliver nutrients to your body to help it during the workout. Some benefits to pre-workout are nitric oxide with improves blood flow which gives more oxygen to your muscles and carries away more waste, and several amino acids that help in metabolic processes that build muscle and repair tissue.

Everything else you probably don't need if you are getting a proper diet. BCAAs and Glutamine you will get naturally from food and also from the supplements mentioned above. To check the quality of your supplements, check out Supplement Ratings and Reviews, and to learn more about specific supplements, check out Independent Analysis on Supplements & Nutrition | Examine.com.

Good add on! Rep ++

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

MACROS:

EXERCISE:

TIME:

SUPPLEMENTS:

great post; however regarding supplementation, it is a hit or miss; there are only a few that people should be taking; protein powder (personally jay robbs egg casein powder is optimal) and some BCAAs at best; everything else is a waste of $$$. Rather utilize those money on a gym membership or weights or better quality foods like organic grass fed beef and chicken and vegetables etc.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Actually, people should have no more than 1 workout a week, and maybe even LESS!

The reason for this is complex, so I'll be concise. The human body has a lot of stuff it needs to do while it heals, and it takes much longer than gurus would tell you. It's not their fault, though; They believe it as much as anyone.

Most of fitness and health advice these days is simply WRONG. The great "experts" do nothing but copy from each other.

Well, I've had the pleasure of digging up a fitness & health book that knows what it's talking about, and why. Let me warn you. It will abolish many, if not most of what you believe about health and fitness.

Also, you won't be hearing as many "GREAT GAINZ!", or "SHREDDED ABS!". The book's main premise is: "Health is King" . It doesn't focus on making you the hottest chap on the beach, preferring your well-being instead.

WHY IS EVERYONE OVERTRAINING? THEY NEVER READ "BODY BY SCIENCE".

P.S. How's my copy? Give me your opinions, please. I initially intended just to mention it, but then I tried to explain, and just went with it. The book's actually really, really good. I'm the kind of idiot who thought working out twice a day was a great idea, imagine what a f-ing slap to the face it was when I realized what I was actually doing to myself.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Actually, people should have no more than 1 workout a week, and maybe even LESS!

The reason for this is complex, so I'll be concise. The human body has a lot of stuff it needs to do while it heals, and it takes much longer than gurus would tell you. It's not their fault, though; They believe it as much as anyone.

Most of fitness and health advice these days is simply WRONG. The great "experts" do nothing but copy from each other.

Well, I've had the pleasure of digging up a fitness & health book that knows what it's talking about, and why. Let me warn you. It will abolish many, if not most of what you believe about health and fitness.

Also, you won't be hearing as many "GREAT GAINZ!", or "SHREDDED ABS!". The book's main premise is: "Health is King" . It doesn't focus on making you the hottest chap on the beach, preferring your well-being instead.

P.S. How's my copy? Give me your opinions, please. I initially intended just to mention it, but then I tried to explain, and just went with it. The book's actually really, really good. I'm the kind of idiot who thought working out twice a day was a great idea, imagine what a f-ing slap to the face it was when I realized what I was actually doing to myself.

I respectfully call Bullshit on the info, BUT

Good copy tho ;) I practiced a little in my post

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
I respectfully call Bullshit on the info, BUT

Good copy tho ;) I practiced a little in my post

Thank you. I undestand why'd you'd call bullshit on it, and I respect your opinion. It's common sense.

However, if you don't consider why it's common sense, why it may not be to me, why does common sense(which can be very wrong) guide your thought process, why I'm telling you in the first place, etc. You can't consider your opinion a though-out one.

Just consider why you train the way you do. This applies to everyone, of course. REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. What is it that made you believe you're doing it correctly? Just read the book, read a chapter or two, you won't need more to convince yourself to read the whole thing.

I'm not selling it, I get no revenue from the book whatsoever, in any way. I'm not even telling you to buy it. Steal it for all I care. All I can potentially get from convincing you to read it is your thanks.

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
Every BODY is different. For some starting out, maybe one or two workouts a week is all they can do or would be best for them. I feel that if one gets a proper nutrition and rest then over-training is not that likely.

I know that for myself, I try to do something daily, even if that is stretching on a rest day. For me it is more of a discipline issue. I don't want to give myself the option to say 'oh well today is a rest day... and maybe you need tomorrow to rest too... and you are still sore on the third day..." etc. It is all about trial and error in a safe manor. You can always ramp up your exercise to a high limit, but if you start high and get injured, you have a big set back to overcome. It's about balance and reading your body.

For me, health, diet, and fitness are lifestyle choices and not just activities I do to get healthy. It's a mindset change, an attitude. It's producer vs consumer thinking. 'I do this to produce this' vs 'I go to the gym here, do these exercises here, take these supplements here and maybe I see results while I sit on my a$$ and eat Doritos.'

The biggest thing is to just take action. Much like entrepreneurship, take action, get results and change your actions to bring you to the goals you have set for yourself. Action brings experience which brings education and knowledge.

Last edited:

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN

I am not a copy guru by any means, but immediately I was put off because it felt click-baity and didn't build any emotional investment on my part. It even repulsed it a bit. You did build curiosity, but then went straight to a data dump, and even attack the reader (if they believe the gurus and the gurus are wrongoing then the reader is wrong.) It lacks WIIFM (what's in it for me?). You don't paint a picture of how the book would help me solve a pain or problem, just that I am wrong and this book is right, which will drive people away. There is also some, what feels like, awkward wording that hurts the flow, but that is just my observation. Keep it simple.

Overall at least you made the attempt, and I am sure others with more experience can chime in.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Before it even gets mentioned,

the whole 'you need to eat 6 small meals a day bro' is absolute bullshit.

Every time you eat, you stop your body from producing growth hormone (and maybe others?).

Plus, eating 6 meals a day vs 2 a day makes practically ZERO difference in muscle gain. (less effective for fat loss).

Take it from someone who has actually put it in the time and hard work, who's gone from being out of shape to ripped and strong as shit.

Not some pudgy keyboard warrior who links articles he found on google and can't even stick to a simple diet or workout routine.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Thank you. I undestand why'd you'd call bullshit on it, and I respect your opinion. It's common sense.

However, if you don't consider why it's common sense, why it may not be to me, why does common sense(which can be very wrong) guide your thought process, why I'm telling you in the first place, etc. You can't consider your opinion a though-out one.

Just consider why you train the way you do. This applies to everyone, of course. REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. What is it that made you believe you're doing it correctly? Just read the book, read a chapter or two, you won't need more to convince yourself to read the whole thing.

I'm not selling it, I get no revenue from the book whatsoever, in any way. I'm not even telling you to buy it. Steal it for all I care. All I can potentially get from convincing you to read it is your thanks.

Preaching that you can only work out once a week is a slap in the face to athletes and laborers everywhere in my opinion

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@juan917 It's not a matter of CAN, but a matter of SHOULD. And yes, it is a slap in the face, I've received one myself. It's very much needed.
@BlakeIC Ikr? Spending all of the time digesting is so tiring. Ever head of intermittent fasting?
@AmericanSpartan Your feedback was wonderful. I'll get better.
I completely get the entire discipline thing, it's very useful; Personally, I make it a point to trust myself to get things done without a whip and a carrot, because I trust I'll do what I need to do, when I need to do it. It work most of the time. Honestly, it's not as good as discipline, but it comes at a LOT cheaper of a price.

Since none of you intend to evaluate my posts AFTER seeing what the book has to say, I'll try and summarize the point super-briefly:
- One workout, once per week, for about 30 minutes max. You don't go to the gym to work out. You go to the gym to grind your bones off. Then, you let the body fix itself, repeat(Imagine the very hardest possible training that can be done in so short of a time, and then take it down just 1 tiny notch. That's it).

Why only once a week? Here's the deal. After a workout, your muscles will be sore. Blame it on lactic acid. While they are sore, they're getting damaged even further. Once you experience that the soreness is gone, the muscle has fixed itself. The entire process lasts around 3 days, more or less(depends on stuff like your workout, genetics, overall health, diet, supplementation, etc.).
UNPACK YOUR 20 TOWELS, AND TURN OFF "HALL OF FAME". It isn't time to work out yet. You see, the muscle may have fixed itself, but that's not what you want. A fixed muscle is square 0. Now, you need to let it grow. Give it time.

The entire book is based on research. No BS.
If what you need to believe someone talking about fitness are bulging muscles and shredded abs, I'll point you in that direction. Now, I may not have the amazing the pecs to convince you(yet), but I'm sure Mike Mentzer does. Read up his thoughts. You could also take a look at the writers themselves

As my last resort, I'll need you to consider this. How much time do you spend working out? For most people, it's about an hour or more daily, not counting the entire routine before and after.
Now, think about this. You're a fastlaner, or at least consider yourself one. If that's true, time should be you #1 priority. For something SO IMPORTANT, maybe you could make yourself read the book. MAYBE I'm right, and you're not(it is actually possible). Imagine all of the time you stand to save.

So, here I am, a guy who makes no money from this, yet I'm spending all of this time trying to get you to read it. We're on the fastlane forum, not in elementary school. This is not a prank. What I want is to help you, and everyone on this forum. I've recieved so much here, and I want to contribute my share. So, please, even if the chance that I'm right may seem like it's 1% or less, read it. Read it, because even if it actually was that low, the profits (in time) would be life-changing. Literally.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
@juan917 It's not a matter of CAN, but a matter of SHOULD. And yes, it is a slap in the face, I've received one myself. It's very much needed.
@BlakeIC Ikr? Spending all of the time digesting is so tiring. Ever head of intermittent fasting?
@AmericanSpartan Your feedback was wonderful. I'll get better.
I completely get the entire discipline thing, it's very useful; Personally, I make it a point to trust myself to get things done without a whip and a carrot, because I trust I'll do what I need to do, when I need to do it. It work most of the time. Honestly, it's not as good as discipline, but it comes at a LOT cheaper of a price.

Since none of you intend to evaluate my posts AFTER seeing what the book has to say, I'll try and summarize the point super-briefly:
- One workout, once per week, for about 30 minutes max. You don't go to the gym to work out. You go to the gym to grind your bones off. Then, you let the body fix itself, repeat(Imagine the very hardest possible training that can be done in so short of a time, and then take it down just 1 tiny notch. That's it).

Why only once a week? Here's the deal. After a workout, your muscles will be sore. Blame it on lactic acid. While they are sore, they're getting damaged even further. Once you experience that the soreness is gone, the muscle has fixed itself. The entire process lasts around 3 days, more or less(depends on stuff like your workout, genetics, overall health, diet, supplementation, etc.).
UNPACK YOUR 20 TOWELS, AND TURN OFF "HALL OF FAME". It isn't time to work out yet. You see, the muscle may have fixed itself, but that's not what you want. A fixed muscle is square 0. Now, you need to let it grow. Give it time.

The entire book is based on research. No BS.
If what you need to believe someone talking about fitness are bulging muscles and shredded abs, I'll point you in that direction. Now, I may not have the amazing the pecs to convince you(yet), but I'm sure Mike Mentzer does. Read up his thoughts. You could also take a look at the writers themselves

As my last resort, I'll need you to consider this. How much time do you spend working out? For most people, it's about an hour or more daily, not counting the entire routine before and after.
Now, think about this. You're a fastlaner, or at least consider yourself one. If that's true, time should be you #1 priority. For something SO IMPORTANT, maybe you could make yourself read the book. MAYBE I'm right, and you're not(it is actually possible). Imagine all of the time you stand to save.

So, here I am, a guy who makes no money from this, yet I'm spending all of this time trying to get you to read it. We're on the fastlane forum, not in elementary school. This is not a prank. What I want is to help you, and everyone on this forum. I've recieved so much here, and I want to contribute my share. So, please, even if the chance that I'm right may seem like it's 1% or less, read it. Read it, because even if it actually was that low, the profits (in time) would be life-changing. Literally.

Muscle soreness does not equate to remaining damage.

Exercise once a week is a slap in the face to neural connections required to further improve your strength

Rest times needed after exercise all VARY

But don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased you are helping others using your perceived knowledge, even if we don't agree. Much wow, very proud :)

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
In my anecdotal experience, over-training is largely a myth.

I followed the whole "3x per week" thing for a long time, and never got the results I wanted.

Now I hit the gym 6x per week, sometimes more. On my days off from work I'll often hit the gym 2x per day.

I also followed the 250-500 calories over BMR, and never gained either. Just got ripped with a six pack and all that.

Now I'm done with the six pack route, and am just looking for size. I've had to go 800+ calories over my BMR to gain. (I'm somewhat ectomorphic so gaining is hard anyway)

The point? Adjust for your body.

So for me:

5x5's ....6x per week (deadlifts only 3x per week)
2800+ calories
Lot's of protein
Lot's of greens
Eating twice per day only
Lot's of water
Way less sleep than I need (yes, this hurts gains...but money>muscles)
Creatine
Omega 3's
Vitamin D
B complex
Chair dips in office daily (100 to start, adding 5 more per day)

I travel for work often though, so away from the gym on those days. This probably keeps me from over-training. I just do 250 push ups in the hotel room on those days.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

Always open to other points of view.

Problem for me is, I'm quite addicted to the "high" that lifting gives. Helps with depression.

So working out only once per week, regardless of the time saved, will not work for me.

Hopefully others won't just automatically dismiss what you're saying here though. It's worth a look at least.

Good stuff @Darko Jocic

Last edited:

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC

I followed the whole "3x per week" thing for a long time, and never got the results I wanted.

Now I hit the gym 6x per week, sometimes more. On my days off from work I'll often hit the gym 2x per day.

I also followed the 250-500 calories over BMR, and never gained either. Just got ripped with a six pack and all that.

Now I'm done with the six pack route, and am just looking for size. I've had to go 800+ calories over my BMR to gain. (I'm somewhat ectomorphic so gaining is hard anyway)

So for me:

2800+ calories
Lot's of protein
Lot's of greens
Lot's of water
Creatine
Omega 3's
Vitamin D
B complex

I travel for work often though, so away from the gym on those days. This probably keeps me from over-training. I just do 250 push ups in the hotel room on those days.

@MidwestLandlord I honestly get real F*cking tingly when you comment on my thread's :thumbsup:

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US

So for me:

2800+ calories
Lot's of protein
Lot's of greens
Lot's of water
Creatine
Omega 3's
Vitamin D
B complex

How many meals do you eat per day?

What are your thoughts on clean bulking vs dirty bulking?

And any recommendations on what foods to buy if I'm trying to maintain a food budget of $250/month

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
How many meals do you eat per day?

What are your thoughts on clean bulking vs dirty bulking?

And any recommendations on what foods to buy if I'm trying to maintain a food budget of $250/month

I have no idea. There are others here that are probably much further along than I in gaining.

I spent most my adult life going the six pack route, and this is the first time I've tried to bulk.

@MidwestLandlord I honestly get real F*cking tingly when you comment on my thread's :thumbsup:

I'll take this as a compliment haha.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Adjust for your body.
This is the best advice in this thread thus far, IMHO.

I'll admit that I've only recently begun to work out, but I've been consistent for 8 months now. That's better then your typical middle age guy that starts a workout program, so I'm proud of my progress. I've been researching different workout methods and tailoring something to my specific physical challenges. I'm sure it's quite different for me than it would be for a younger guy without 20 years sitting behind a desk.

So, I'll simply reiterate that it's very important to adjust your workout program to your specific needs.

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
Before it even gets mentioned,

the whole 'you need to eat 6 small meals a day bro' is absolute bullshit.

Every time you eat, you stop your body from producing growth hormone (and maybe others?).

Plus, eating 6 meals a day vs 2 a day makes practically ZERO difference in muscle gain. (less effective for fat loss).

Take it from someone who has actually put it in the time and hard work, who's gone from being out of shape to ripped and strong as shit.

Not some pudgy keyboard warrior who links articles he found on google and can't even stick to a simple diet or workout routine.

It isn't so much that you NEED to eat six times a day, it's that it is easier to consume the large amount of food it takes to hit your macro/calorie goals for gaining mass if you spread it out over six meals.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I have no idea. There are others here that are probably much further along than I in gaining.

I spent most my adult life going the six pack route, and this is the first time I've tried to bulk.

From my teens until a couple of years ago I always wanted a 'Bruce Lee' physique and my workouts focused on being as shredded as possible.

This changed over the past two years and I've gained 20 pounds of muscle doing 5x5 and eating a bit more food.

I've been on a plateau for a couple of months though so been eating a large 3 topping pizza + protein shakes on my workout days...

But I have a feeling it's not a great long term plan lol

Also, I would highly recommend one of these to any lifter who doesn't foam roll already:

81Tt6yPe--L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
"The New High Intensity Training" by Elliington Darden and any fitness books by John Little...

TRUE SCIENCE on how the body works, no BS, no supplements, no false hopes but ways to figure out your realistic genetic potential based upon science, and most of all how to workout/eat/live healthy in the most efficient/safe ways.

Ex-bodybuilder on tons of gear who used to used EVERY snake oil supplement NOW natural for over 5-6 years after health problems and wondering "how do prisoner's with such terrible nutrition options and IF THEY ARE LUCKY minumin workout equipment BUT USUALLY HAVE NONE... yet the often become what a normal person would consider "jacked" or "buff"....

Rest and high intense short bouts of exercise like a male lion then REST for days, especially once you get stronger it takes longer....

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Always open to other points of view.

Problem for me is, I'm quite addicted to the "high" that lifting gives. Helps with depression.

So working out only once per week, regardless of the time saved, will not work for me.

Hopefully others won't just automatically dismiss what you're saying here though. It's worth a look at least.

Good stuff @Darko Jocic
MAINSTREAM 300+ page bodybuilding magazines with 290 pages of ADVERTISEMENTS really mis-guide people which conveniently they EVERY MONTH have some front page ad such as "GAIN 2 INCHES TO YOUR ARMS IN 1 WEEK!!!"... lol then conveintly have eager beaver's attention with photoshopped pic's of a pro IFBB bodybuilder and his "routine" along with his supplements THEN the following page conveniently is an ad for those EXACT supplements that pro takes... (minus the left out $100,000+ 17 mile long list of anabolic's, GH, insulin, diuretics, pain killers, blood pressure meds, clen or meth based stimulants often adderall, blood pressure medicine , having to use an oxygen mask often especially at night, etc. Nasty Nasty world.

But I agree and know 1-2 workouts every 10 days at my natural level is ideal... but it's EXTREMELY hard to follow that regime as it does give me the same "high" effect or that "ahhhh feeling afterwards"...

Cardio sucks and to not overtrain especially during the winter has anyone tried boxing, martial arts, or anything else just to stay active and get that "runner's high"? With the whole MMA/UFC fad that hasn't gone away yet all the gym's I've looked tried required "Tap Out" shorts and cauliflower ear... :( lol

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am a big fan of Jeff Nippard.

He bases all his information on scientific papers.

Go check him out on Youtube.

This one is really good:

Also this one regarding diets:

I have been training since I am 14, now I am 20 and never ever took a week off.

I second MidwestLandlord on training 6x times a week, preferably doing Push, Pull,Legs,Push,Pull,Legs,Rest

The best advice would be don't push yourselves more than you can, you will be probably training for more than 50 years maybe if you start young so there's no reason no go ALL out on all your movements. Keep good form and mind/muscle connection. Experiment and try what works best for you. It's better to train consistently.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
I am a big fan of Jeff Nippard.

He bases all his information on scientific papers.

Go check him out on Youtube.

This one is really good:

Also this one regarding diets:

I have been training since I am 14, now I am 20 and never ever took a week off.

I second MidwestLandlord on training 6x times a week, preferably doing Push, Pull,Legs,Push,Pull,Legs,Rest

The best advice would be don't push yourselves more than you can, you will be probably training for more than 50 years maybe if you start young so there's no reason no go ALL out on all your movements. Keep good form and mind/muscle connection. Experiment and try what works best for you. It's better to train consistently.
That guy purely from the thumbnail's pics to his video's is on multiple anabolic's... I'll be honest I'm not going to watch the videos but weight training, fitness, or weight loss is honestly SUPER SIMPLE. The average Joe who is natural looking to gain as much muscle while staying lean and keeping his cardio vascular system healthy doesn't need to other think "macronutrient's" because I promise you that "average Joe" and even most amateur level competitors on anabolic's don't need to obsessively count their protein:fat:carb ratio's it will make a difference not even one could notice...

Lose weight = Lower calories to a number aqueate to properly allow your body to function... adjust according to your daily activity level or job.

Gain weight = Consume more calories than your body requires for daily maintenance... start at 200-500 calorie increase (don't just consume pizza's and drink tubs of ice cream melted in the microwave so you can drink it for PURE calories unless your a extreme ectomorph and have to do such because your hyperactive thyroid.

Cardio = Boring as hell IMO and since this is the "FAST-LANE" forum... A "Fast-Lane" tip to be most efficient is train in a high intensity fashion (little or no rest breaks) which taxes your muscles hard, fast, and also builds your cardio levels/burns more calories in doing say 15 minutes of INSANE balls to the walls High Intensity Strength training than 30-45 minutes walking on stair stepper or treadmill set at a super high incline.

If you don't lift, just want to lose weight, or want to not "waste 30-60 minutes a day on cardio for weight loss"... Tip: Say 30 minutes of REAL CARDIO (not gawking around while resting your body on the machine as your legs trail along but actually doing a spin class on a legit spin bike, a stairsteper, or treadmill on the highest incline setting walking basically uphill as fast as you can say 2.7-3.0 mph you'll burn in the ballpark of 500-600 calories.

Eat 3 meals a day? Shave off 200 calories each meal.... Saved yourself probably an hour once you figure in commute, exercise, getting dressed, etc. but that's if your just new to the game or to kill ALL EXCUSES about being overweight with no time for the gym... BOOM :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.