The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Famous YouTuber creates a second channel anonymously to prove a point

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2trao6dYw

I thought this was extremely interesting and reminded me of a lot of what I read from Unscripted . YouTuber 'Ludwig' created a second channel and without using his name, challenged himself to get at least 1,000 views in his first day. He said if he didn't garner 1k views, he would delete his main channel. While I thought this was extremely bold, I recognized it as confidence shortly after.

His strategy to getting 1,000 views was random but it worked flawlessly, and if he kept providing that same level of value consistently I'm sure he would get even more views and subscribers.

It goes to show that YouTube algorithm or getting "lucky" isn't really how you blow up on YouTube, but through actual value.

Thoughts on this video?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I thought this was extremely interesting and reminded me of a lot of what I read from Unscripted . YouTuber 'Ludwig' created a second channel and without using his name, challenged himself to get at least 1,000 views in his first day. He said if he didn't garner 1k views, he would delete his main channel. While I thought this was extremely bold, I recognized it as confidence shortly after.

His strategy to getting 1,000 views was random but it worked flawlessly, and if he kept providing that same level of value consistently I'm sure he would get even more views and subscribers.

It goes to show that YouTube algorithm or getting "lucky" isn't really how you blow up on YouTube, but through actual value.

Thoughts on this video?

Very cool - great to see how it's nearly all strategy and skills.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Thoughts on this video?
Not luck at all. It was obvious hearing him think out loud while doing the work that he knew exactly what he was doing and wanted to achieve - even down to the length of the video.

Great share. Very inspiring.

KindRibEye

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 1, 2021
Misleading. Paying $50 per video for exposure is not a long-term strategy. Views do not equal subscribers, or quality of the viewership (dedicated fans).

Heh.

Only thing that counts is cash; if you don't wind up with fans WILLING TO GO IN THEIR WALLETS then you generated nothing.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Misleading. Paying $50 per video for exposure is not a long-term strategy. Views do not equal subscribers, or quality of the viewership (dedicated fans).
All that matter are views. Sure subs are great, but if you have a ton of subs and no views you don't get paid a cent. Subs are a vanity metric.

Very cool thought process, the guy is clearly a pro.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Ha! I actually saw the video mentioned suggested to me. I don't usually get streamers videos suggested to me, so it stood out. I clicked the loading icon and saw the dino header and thought the channel was crap with only one video, so I didn't watch the it.

It's great to learn it had a backstory. Thanks for the share.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the share!

From having a couple of youtuber friends and connecting with that community, I feel like the process of getting a channel started to monetization (1000subs and 4k watch hours) has basically been "solved". If you literally just regularly post a niche targeted video with an ounce of production effort, you will eventually hit those numbers, given enough time.

The challenge these days is, sure, get to those numbers somewhat quickly, but more importantly, it's how to sustain the growth of the channel long term and then leverage that growth to bigger and better things: sales, branding, etc.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Good content, good thumbnailing, good titling, and also a smart way of getting it in front of people who are interested in this type of content.
Boom. The only luck in this video was getting the streamer to click the link, but even that was calculated to reduce the risk of failure - down to the video length, what time during the stream to post it, how much he needed to donate to get his attention etc.

What an awesome video. Thanks for the share!

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
$50 per video doesn't seem too bad. Spending money for the first few videos to get the engine running seems worth it. At the end he pointed out that 30% of the views were algorithm recommendations - probably the most "real" of views you can get for a one-off video. It would be interesting to see the breakdown for a second or third video to see how many subscribers return.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I think you are missing the point.

It is a lesson in being creative and using a smart approach to get ahead.

What's worth more - that $ 40 or 6 months of trying to videos that no one even knows exist?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I think you are missing the point.

It is a lesson in being creative and using a smart approach to get ahead.

What's worth more - that $ 40 or 6 months of trying to videos that no one even knows exist?
I agree it is creative and smart, but what it really takes is 6 months of consistent creativity and promotion. It's not 'luck' but probabilities, which only reveal themselves when you spin the algorithm wheel many times. Skill and creativity cannot guarantee that a particular video succeeds.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
12:22 ... one of the people sitting on his sofa look familiar.

I'm sure he couldn't have told his buddy... "hey, I'm gonna drop $50 on your stream.... act like you're surprised and checkout whatever I share." .... This will have the other people watching my video think they just have to spend $50 on your twitch while you're streaming and their shitty site or offer will get plugged for 5+ min.

That being said..... I'm sure the strategy he used could very well work.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
12:22 ... one of the people sitting on his sofa look familiar.

I'm sure he couldn't have told his buddy... "hey, I'm gonna drop $50 on your stream.... act like you're surprised and checkout whatever I share." .... This will have the other people watching my video think they just have to spend $50 on your twitch while you're streaming and their shitty site or offer will get plugged for 5+ min.

That being said..... I'm sure the strategy he used could very well work.
I hear the skepticism, but the streamer made his own follow up video where he finds out the background.

View: https://youtu.be/xRAnax1Mox0

Sure, maybe he's acting there too, but that's a lot of acting just to make one little video. I watched it and the commentary he has seemed genuine to me.

These guys got 40 minutes of my attention. Pretty incredible, imo. Of course they only got it because the OP shared it here...

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I hear the skepticism, but the streamer made his own follow up video where he finds out the background.

View: https://youtu.be/xRAnax1Mox0

Sure, maybe he's acting there too, but that's a lot of acting just to make one little video. I watched it and the commentary he has seemed genuine to me.

These guys got 40 minutes of my attention. Pretty incredible, imo. Of course they only got it because the OP shared it here...
If they didn't its best not to give the other person too many facts... like just tell them "if you ever see a $50 donation next week... make sure to checkout whatever they promote"...

and the other person might ask "why?" .... and he'd answer "just do it...." ... "ok"

Now it wouldn't be too hard for him to "act" like he didn't know anything - he was just told to check something out if a $50 donation came in... and he could sit there and play dumb like he doesn't know whats going on and it would seem authentic.... because he wouldn't actually know the finer details.

That's how I'd go about it anyways. But like I said before, it could also be 100% legit and if you did the same thing you'd get the exact same treatment. Spend $600 on a video and $50 on a donation to find out.

I just take things with a pinch of salt. I could care less if its true or not.

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015

Thoughts on this video?
That was dope! the biggest thing that stood out to me was to leverage someone's else already established audience by adding some value in the form of relative entertainment

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015

Thoughts on this video?
That was dope! the biggest thing that stood out to me was to leverage someone's else already established audience by adding some value in the form of relative entertainment

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic

Thoughts on this video?
I make videos on YT but I never had so much views. There is a lot to learn from this experiment.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Thoughts on this video?

Very good, thanks for posting this.

The main takeaways here were:

1. Content - Content is king, it was a well made video with good production values. The voiceover was neutral and informative. The graphics were slick, but not overused and of course the story along with the title, was very compelling. Also, has he mentioned, it was short and sweet.

I would add this as a caveat though, if someone were to follow this method, they have to make sure that they actually have an interest/knowledge in the subject. In my mind there's no point creating one video and getting loads of views, but it's in a subject you couldn't care less about. That will lead really quickly to burnout, when you can't follow up with good consistent content. As to carry on in this vein, consistency is key!

2. Subject Matter - All Youtube views are not equal. This is something to bear in mind and research before you take the plunge. In this video he chose Twitch as a subject and 'making money on Twitch' as a subject of that. This will garner a particular payout from Youtube. The payout varies from subject to subject, so for instance golf is a very popular genre, and the audience spend money on low to high ticket items. So Youtube give more money than say if your video was about chess.

Also geography is something to bear in mind, if we use the golf example again, I know for a fact that Youtube will pay you more for an American audience than they will for a UK one. I'm assuming it's because they spend more money than the Brits on golf.

3. Marketing - His marketing tactic was genius, but I'd be wary of copying it without putting in the sort of research he did. Whilst it might seem like a casual decision, the fact is he knew Miskiv's channel intimately and was aware that he often clicks on videos because of the nature of his content. Although I think using Twitch is a boss idea, just make sure you don't waste your money on a streamer who is not likely to play the vid, or is a bit slack with acknowledging donations.

Conclusion:

The question was posed is it luck or skill? I think it was answered up to a point, of course skill matters a lot. If he had made a crappy video, then the guy would have clicked off immediately and told everyone watching not to bother.

Of course luck came into play, because ultimately he may not have clicked on the video or missed the donation, and of course that guy is 'lucky' that his expertise is in a popular field.

The final ingredient is money, of course there are some massive organically grown channels out there, but this video proved, like anything else, if you want to accelerate that growth you're going to have to pay to tell people about it. What was encouraging though, is that it was a relatively small amount, so if it didn't work, it wasn't the end of the world. But that would of course leave you with a choice as to where to spend money next.

Once again, props to the OP, this was a brilliant post that I would have otherwise missed.

Mathew Verble

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 6, 2018
How to turn $600 into $3-$5 dollars fast. Lol.

Seriously though youtube Is fascinating. I'd definitely consider it if it wasn't a direct violation of control. Hell I might play around with it anyway.

Mathew Verble

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 6, 2018
How to turn $600 into $3-$5 dollars fast. Lol.

Seriously though youtube Is fascinating. I'd definitely consider it if it wasn't a direct violation of control. Hell I might play around with it anyway.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Fantastic premise -- thanks for sharing, OP. That video now has over half a million views.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Saw this last night. Ludwig did an amazing execution on this project. Especially getting traffic from another streamers viewership. Loved every minute of it.

Even the streamer who clicked on the video, reviewed what he had done for Ludwig and was amazed at the execution.

10/10.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Boom. The only luck in this video was getting the streamer to click the link, but even that was calculated to reduce the risk of failure - down to the video length, what time during the stream to post it, how much he needed to donate to get his attention etc.

What an awesome video. Thanks for the share!

I watched the whole video and also the reaction video. I had never heard of either of these guys.

So does a $50 donation make that flying stack of money go across his screen? Does that happen on all streamers? If so, that's a great way to catch someone's attention. Also note that he did it when the streamer was doing something boring.

And for $600, that was a high quality video. If the video sucked, he would have clicked out in 20 seconds. I actually thought it started very slow. But even if the streamer didn't watch the whole thing, just him clicking on it would have been enough to get 1k views and kick start the channel.

What it also came down to was that the guy knew how to make content. He had a script all written up with a good story and executed it well. I think most people starting on youtube don't know how to make good content. If this was a real first time youtuber's video, it wouldn't have been that good and the streamer would probably have clicked away quick. You also see that the streamer went to the youtuber account and saw that it only had one video.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
So does a $50 donation make that flying stack of money go across his screen? Does that happen on all streamers?

No it doesn't, you have to get plugins and addons. I've just opened a Twitch channel streaming chess. It's more a hobby than a side hustle, but I'm learning that you have to set it up and all those animations need to be added.

I'm being quite slow about it because I don't expect to make anything, but I'm still going to link my PayPal. Lol you never know, I might get Mr Beast drop by one day!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.