The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing the Andy Frisella "75 Hard" Challenge

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Welcome to the new people!

Give it 100% and it will 100% change your whole life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
@Fox who flushes cake down the sink? Use the bin man :rofl:. Much respect for getting back on the bike :bicep:.

Looks like a lot more people are starting to jump on board. Great to see it, post your social if you have it. Make an announcement to world, create social pressure. It's uncomfortable but that's the point. It's a lot worse to fail in front of a crowd. This will help keep you honest. At least it has for me.

Right now it's Tuesday afternoon in Canada. I'll be starting a 72 hour fast tonight after dinner inspired by @MTF and his thread Fastlane Fasting Friends. Never done one this long before so I'm excited to see what benefits or drawbacks it brings. I plan on doing everything else the same including my workouts.

I'll post a couple of updates on how I'm feeling mentally and physically. Stay tuned to see if I wither away and die

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
we NEED a meme or a joke or a funny irreverent saying for when you REALLY think you’ve pushed yourself in running or walking or doing your workout only to check the time and realize...

Nope. I’ve got three more minutes left.

Premature gymaculation.

Dang it.

I’ll just be doin some stretches by my car... la la la.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Snoophek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Oct 8, 2016
@Fox I'll be starting a 72 hour fast tonight after dinner inspired by @MTF and his thread Fastlane Fasting Friends.

Good luck! I've done a 7 day water fast last summer and it was a really interesting experience. For a couple reasons, mostly the peace of mind that appears. If you have any questions send me a pm.

As for the challenge, day 6 today. I have finished my first book yesterday (I was halfway in at Day 1) and it turns out I averaged 15 pages a day. Not marvelous, but there's no way I would be this consistent without the challenge. So, onto the next one.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Maybe you have already heard of this challenge - the 75 hard challenge by Andy Frisella who runs The MFCEO podcast (I think the top business podcast for over two years).

Basically, the rules are:

1) Strict Diet – No cheating, not even 1 bite, and No alcohol

2) Two Workouts* per Day – 1 has to be outside and both have to be at least 45 minutes

(*this can mean jogging, swimming, yoga - doesn't have to be gym)

3) Drink 1 Gallon of Water per Day – Nothing but clear, plain water counts

4) Read 10 Pager per Day – From a non-fiction self-help book or business book

5) Take a Progress Picture Every Day – So you can see the progress at the end

For 75 days with no days off.

While it might seem like a fitness challenge - it isn't. It is a discipline challenge.

Andy explains it fully here:

Let me say - it is harder than it looks. To do one day - easy. To not miss any days - very very hard.

First time I failed was cause I had a sugary drink on a date. I let a girl buy me a sugary Starbucks smoothie and wasn't being aware.

The second time (two days ago) I didn't do any reading cause I didn't have my day planned out 100%. I got sloppy with my time.

Is this challenge needed for you to be successful? Of course not.

But is it a great way to build some great habits, awareness, dedication, and discipline for those struggling with those things? 100%.

So if you feel like jumping in with me on this challenge post up.

Some additional rules:

- Don't modify any part of the challenge. This isn't a "well I did it this way" challenge. The rules are above and those are the rules.

- If you break ANY rules you go back to the start.

- Be true to yourself. The only person who gets anything out of this is YOU if you do it right. Pretending you did this won't help and will most likely hurt.

- No audiobooks ha. I still listen to them as I walk every day but Andy is clear that the 10 pages a day are to be read by you.

That is it:

Here are my past stats but I will consider today day one since I have to restart...

View attachment 24988

View attachment 24989

(started on the 23rd of May and failed twice since)

So who is in with me?
(or has already started)
Why exercise two times a day? Once is no enough?

I am worried that it will increase fatigue and affect work.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Why exercise two times a day? Once is no enough?

This is covered in Andy Frisella’s podcast. There are over 30k ppl doing this challenge on Insta.

Your fear of a future possibility is limiting your present. If you aren’t invigorated by the challenge, it’s probably not for you.

Most of us heard about it and instantly knew we needed the extreme discipline.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Okay, let's settle this...

Starting at 24 minutes in...

You are going to work out twice a day. For at least 45 minutes.

I don't care what type of work out you do.

I don't care if you run. I don't care if you walk. I don't care if you lift weights. I don't care if you do CrossFit.

It doesn't matter because this is a mental toughness cultivator.

This is not necessarily about the physical activity.

He goes on to say one has to be outside as we already know too.

It doesn't have to be gym.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton

Then don’t bother trying. To butcher a Henry Ford quote ‘If you believe you can’t your probably right’.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Then don’t bother trying. To butcher a Henry Ford quote ‘If you believe you can’t your probably right’.
I will stick to 45-60 min of exercise a day until I see the merits to ramp it up.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
I will stick to 45-60 min of exercise a day until I see the merits to ramp it up.

We aren't here to sell you the challenge. If you want to do it, join us, we're happy to have you. If you don't, then don't come in here expecting us to justify why the challenge is the way it is. No substitutions. It is a discipline challenge, not a fitness challenge, for the 1,000,000th time.

fishgodeep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Oct 11, 2015
Edmonton
How's everyone doing?

I will go first. Last week F*cking sucked.

Plain and simple. I was being fed shit sandwich after shit sandwich which is ironic because I didn't eat for 72 hours :rofl: . The fast was hard no doubt about it, but well worth the price of admission. I'll be doing another one starting Sunday.

Honestly I don't know why everything felt so difficult but it compounded and got worse throughout the day. I couldn't pull myself out of bed before six so no morning cardio, so I was already behind the 8-ball. I stuck to my diet but it was a struggle, fasting actually made it a little easier as I had a hard and fast rule to stick by.

Had a few long days working then coming home wanting to do nothing but sit the F*ck down knowing I still had two workouts to do. Christ on a bike, I just didn't want to do it. It was not fun. But I got it done, sometimes not until 11.30 at night. Going to bed afterward thinking "I have to do this shit again tomorrow!".

It felt like being in a sauna that I couldn't get out of. This was the first time that the workouts felt unbearable. And it wasn't physical, the body felt great the mind however felt weak. Under any other circumstances I would have quit packed it in and went to bed. But knowing that I would have to start again pushed me through. I simply ignored my emotions and focused on what I knew had to be done.

And today I woke up feeling like I could run through walls. So for anyone struggling know that it will pass eventually and you'll feel better. Eventually you'll feel motivated again. But what this program has thought me and it will teach you (if you do it) is to do the work regardless of how you feel. F*ck your feelings, do it anyway.

Day 62

P.S.

I'm doing another 72 hour fast starting on Sunday evening ending on Wednesday evening. If anyone is interested in trying it feel free to join I'll be posting it in the Fastlane Fasting Thread You don't need to do a 72 hour if that's too extreme, try 18 for your first one. Or just keep eating at regular intervals like normal people :rofl:

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Failed on day 4.
I think I quit, 1 gallon of water per day is too much for me and I also am worried that it couldn’t be healthy.
Anyway, good luck to everyone going on.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
I've been meaning to update for a couple days. Today is day 52 which is awesome. I have never been even close to this consistent with diet and exercise.

I was going to do the same fast as @fishgodeep but that first night I felt seriously ill, nauseous, light-headed and decided I was putting too much on myself at once.

I actually realized that because I am doing OMAD and exercising so much, I am way under-consuming calories (like 1200 per day when I should be at 1800-2000 for a 25% deficit, oops). I have been consciously eating more during my meal and my weightloss has started again after stalling for a week.

The challenge has become routine for me in the last week, and I'm honestly finding it easy right now, which is a bad sign. It means I'm not pushing myself or exercising with enough intent like Andy talks about in the podcast YOU COMPLETED 75HARD: Now What?

I have started pushing myself to walk faster, and I'm going to start running. I also went for a walk at the hottest time yesterday to make it more onerous. I'm planning to start taking yoga classes, as well as check out the local YMCA as they have an Olympic weight training program I want to check out.

I will say, I am looking forward to reintroducing dairy to my diet. It is really hard to get enough calories without cheese, sour cream, etc. Just meat and vegetables has been fine though, I like eating this way.

I've gotten lots of complements on my skin clearing up, my weight loss, my discipline... it all feels really great, and I hope those of you struggling persevere and have a similar experience. The self-confidence, discipline, and mindset I have developed so far (only 2/3 done!) is so awesome, I want everyone to feel this good. Whatever wisps of depression or malaise I may have had are completely gone as well.

I've finished 4 books so far on the challenge, the last one being The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday. You need to read this book. Wow. Lifechanging for me, and I was already interested in Stoicism. Now I have a half-dozen books on the subject to tear into.

That's where I'm at, not sure when I'll update again, but I'm here checking the thread daily, rooting for all of you. Stay hard everyone? Hahaha

Last edited:

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Despite failing on day 6, I love the challenge, it's the best thing I've ever done mindset and fitness wise. Some of the benefits I've experienced:

-Clarity of thought,
-Consistent energy ,
-More positive,
-Structure throughout day vs impulsively doing stuff on how I feel
-Better sleep and getting up earlier in the morning.

For the past 10+ years I've drank caffeine min 5× every day, I thought this would be the hardest thing to cut out and was the reason i lurked this thread before jumping in but it was suprisingly easy, I've been able to drink over a gallon (4-5 l) daily no prob and have had no food or cafeine cravings. My litre bottle goes everywhere I go lol.
The hardest part of the challenge (suprisingly) is people around me not wanting me to change and causing bs stress. It got too much yestwrday. Was easier to appease than continue to day7. Still my fault, I should have communicated better what it is I'm doing.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
The hardest part of the challenge (suprisingly) is people around me not wanting me to change and causing bs stress. It got too much yestwrday. Was easier to appease than continue to day7. Still my fault, I should have communicated better what it is I'm doing.

This sadly does not surprise me. This is a common problem I have dealt with as I've lost weight, especially if I mention eating a low-carb one-meal-a-day diet, or how often I am exercising, or how much water I'm drinking, or even that I still have more weight to lose.

The hens come clucking and the cocks crowing.

People that have nothing better to do than try to tear you down, whether they do it subconsciously or not. This is an excellent opportunity to practice not caring what other people think, know you are doing the right thing for yourself and ignore their ignorant musings on your life.

Crabs in a bucket. If one tries to climb out, the others will pull it back in to climb over it (be higher status, feel better than, fragile ego).

Saying No becomes fun when you put your own needs first.

"No, I'm sorry, I'm focused on this goal."
"No, I really can't have one bite. Yes, I am serious. Please do not ask me again."

It feels powerful, it really is fantastic.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I am back to day #1 (well #2 by now).

I did Yoga on Saturday instead of the gym and ended up forgetting to take a picture.

I have since made a massive calendar beside my bed that has everything to track. It goes without out saying that every restart like this is extremely disappointing.

It is quite frustrating that I haven't missed a single workout session in 62 days but have failed on little things. Goes to show how poor I can be with the small details sometimes.

Anyway - back to it. I will update in a few days when I get back some momentum.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina

I did Yoga on Saturday instead of the gym and ended up forgetting to take a picture.

I have since made a massive calendar beside my bed that has everything to track. It goes without out saying that every restart like this is extremely disappointing.

It is quite frustrating that I haven't missed a single workout session in 62 days but have failed on little things. Goes to show how poor I can be with the small details sometimes.

Sorry to read that, Fox. May I ask what the calendar looks like? Is it all 75 days, with each task pre-written? Did you make it yourself?

Gotta do what you gotta do to remember the little parts of the challenge. I'm still using the notebook/power list/task list and progress pic gallery album on my phone. Atleast once a day, I worry I forgot to take a progress pic.

Side note, I had another nightmare last night about consuming dairy and failing the challenge. I think this was my 4th. This time it was a Vanilla milkshake from McDonalds. I quit Nicotine 2 weeks ago and haven't had a single dream about it, just milkshakes and cheese hahaha.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Sorry to read that, Fox. May I ask what the calendar looks like? Is it all 75 days, with each task pre-written? Did you make it yourself?

Gotta do what you gotta do to remember the little parts of the challenge. I'm still using the notebook/power list/task list and progress pic gallery album on my phone. Atleast once a day, I worry I forgot to take a progress pic.

Side note, I had another nightmare last night about consuming dairy and failing the challenge. I think this was my 4th. This time it was a Vanilla milkshake from McDonalds. I quit Nicotine 2 weeks ago and haven't had a single dream about it, just milkshakes and cheese hahaha.

I got a big wardrobe that is covered in glass. So I just wrote out all the days till I am finished and then at the bottom a checklist for each day. I just tick it off with a pen and then rub it out the following day.

Its massive and right beside my bed.

The dreams thing is funny - I have had that also. Wake up sweating cause you had a nightmare about eating chocolate hahaha.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

I start off by taking the picture very first thing in the morning before a shower. Otherwise I would almost certainly forget. These small easy ones are actually the hardest because it's so back of mind.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Real stuff that goes through my head:

I’m still on track but moodier than ever. I want to get in a fight and cry and get cuddles.

Wtf. Why did we do this?? This was a bad idea!

I want chocolate. *tiny tear

I hate Andy Frisella. I hate those happy Instagram ppl. I hate EVERYONE.

Except for you guys. I love you guys.

I want a trophy. I want professionally done pictures when this is over! I want HUGS!!

Ffs. Every four days is some kind of deep level revelation or self-sabotaging attempt or SOMETHING.

I don’t even care that this sounds crazy. Like this post and validate my crazy girl emotions!! Do it!! Lmfao..

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

Are you on your first attempt at this challenge? Even if not, would you consider yourself an extremely disciplined person? Extremely organized? Obviously this is a tough challenge and wondering why you think you have been so successful?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I started listening to his podcast the other night because of this thread and wow it’s really good, I understand why you guys are doing the challenge now.

I wish I could do it but I have one of those unique situations that everyone thinks they have where I just can’t because I can’t workout twice a day some days. I have a truck driving job that requires driving a truck 7 nights in a row for 12.5h a night, plus about half an hours travel each way before and after work. The hardest part of the job is not falling asleep and crashing and there’s just no way I could workout before and after work and be fine for those 7 nights. I am trying to think of ways to make it work or variations but that defeats the purpose so I’m not sure what I’ll do.

I did order a 1.5l water bottle and have been drinking pretty close to 4l a day of water, I’m peeing all the time but I feel great.

Mj would be the perfect guest and his audience would be perfect for the forum and books

@MJ DeMarco is this something you would be interested in doing? I’d love to hear you on it

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Guess what ppl? Tomorrow I am on Day FIFTEEN!

I know. I still have a long way to go but..

If you haven’t been paying attention to my epic girl saga, this is my fifth attempt.

I’ve gotten all the way to Day 13 twice before, but never to fifteen, UNTIL NOW BABYYYYYYY!

I’ve actually worked out every single day for 41 days straight! And I’m still alive!!

I’ve been thinking a bit today and I would like to ask for your forgiveness. I have been SO bitchy. It’s ridiculous!

Anyhoo. I have decided to change my attitude and make being grateful and thankful a discipline instead of just a feeling. Sooo..

I’m grateful that I live in a city where doing this challenge is relatively easy. My gym is phenomenal. The park where I walk or run in the mornings or with the kids is public, safe, massive, and half-shaded. It has ponds and a little river.

I’m grateful that I am now officially a size six and have more than enough gym clothes that fit and are not hideous.

I’m thankful that my body could handle doing the workouts even when (maybe especially when) I was feverish and feeling icky.

I’m really glad I can afford protein powder.

I’m thankful that my job lends me the flexibility and cash to make this possible.

I’m really grateful for you bunch of internet humans who are with me on this journey.

This year my phrase of the year was “Sowing Seeds” because I’ve been developing my business and learning several things.. but I haven’t been purposeful about my attitude WHILE I do stuff.

I need to change that.. so I am.

Hugs to everyone! We are SO going to have an alcoholic beverage and specialty fancy cake someday! Somehow!

(And maybe some gummy bears... rofl)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco is this something you would be interested in doing? I’d love to hear you on it

Not familiar with the podcast but I do evaluate all podcast offers, although to be honest, I do very few as I simply don't enjoy them.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Not familiar with the podcast but I do evaluate all podcast offers, although to be honest, I do very few as I simply don't enjoy them.
I've only just started listening to it. Pretty enjoyable although he does love the sound of his own voice a little too much sometimes lol. But his podcasts with guests are really great. I really enjoyed the one he did with the 2 guys that started up Blue Delta jeans. Episode 302 I think.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.