The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating an SaaS startup without being able to code.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Awesome!

love it when I see 'REAL' progress on progress threads! Looking forward to hearing more!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Quick update:

The last few month have been slow but productive. I did hit a snag that had to be dealt with sooner rather than later and so decided to bite the bullet and tackle it head on.

Each module of software creates information. Originally I had only focused on being able to create this info. I knew eventually I would need to have a dashboard where the info created would have to be displayed for key performance indicators (KPI's). The KPI's from the info created are the true value of the software.

The first few modules created were really only for storing specific company info but the latest module rolled out was for more of a day to day use. This created the need for the dashboard and KPI's.

The dilemma was to:
  1. keep creating the modules and loop back later in the project to tie them all modules into a dashboard at once
  2. Or create a basic dashboard and add too it each future module is created.
I decided on option 2, as the modules are supposed to be independent of each other and it would have been hard to justify keeping my one client on board if the software really just wasn't suited to them.

-----------

My 4 month contract with my first client is up as of July 1st. I have a meeting set this week to resign them for another 4 month
period. Last contract was for $250/month this one will hopefully be $500/month. (I Do have a second client lined up and will hopefully have more news on that later this month).

-----------

Overall feeling about the project right now is good, I have a lot more confidence in the the software as each module is rolled out. I'm getting great feed back from the customer and they seem to really be excited about each module as they are rolled out. The developers are working well together and in the last 2 months I've really started to see their understanding of what I'm trying to create increase. Seems to be a great work culture which has eased my nerves a little.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Today was a good day! I got my 2nd client! Had a meeting with them today and they asked me to comeback Thursday to get them on-boarded asap. Software is designed that they can do it themselves but they want me to do it and asked me to name my hourly rate.

Doesn't get much sweater than that..

Where are you "Company Number 3" I'm coming for you next!!

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Update, I spent 3 weeks travelling Europe. I reconnected with a few people I know that could potentially be interested in using/testing the software. I secured 3 different companies for testing. If and when testing goes well I will present it to those who could make a full financial decision on implementing it.

The software itself has moved from a stage where customers have the ability to onboard to also being able to create data. I'm currently receiving great feedback and minor changes to be made from customers.

The next stage/challenge will be proficiently presenting this data so it can be easily searchable and analyzed. I have a basic dashboard setup but I have chosen to not develop it further until each feature has been completed. Currently at 5 of 11 features, with 3 more being rolled out start of September. I had originally planned 9 and through discussions with the customer I have designed 2 extra. (Project is currently under budget and ahead of schedule)

As more features are added and I become closer to having an MVP my confidence has grown. Without jinxing myself I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the development tunnel.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
This is a super awesome thread to read. Inspiring to see it working out. Where and how did you find your developers? Is this a remote team or local?

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
This is a super awesome thread to read. Inspiring to see it working out. Where and how did you find your developers? Is this a remote team or local?

Thanks I appreciate the feedback!

I had worked with one of the developers on a past job. I followed his progress after we both left that company and kept in touch. I approached him first about coming on as a developer for me. We discussed the length and time line of the project and what kind of a team he would need.

Once we had agreed on the details he put the word out to a few people that he had worked well with in the past. We initially brought one guy on but he didn't seem to have the desire. Not showing up when required so we had to cut him and brought on a second recommendation.

The last person we got was via Upwork. I wanted to increase productivity and keep costs low. I placed an add on Upwork for +3 years experience Ruby & Js.node developers. I chose the best candidates that applied and set up and interview time. My lead developer conducted the interview which basically consisted of a coding test to see how proficient the candidate was in coding and taking direction. Eventually we found one we liked and the price was good so we went with them.

The real key was having that first connection with someone who was an expert in coding who I had enough trust and faith in to get the job done. The rest he managed.

The entire team is remote, and communication has been the biggest challenge to get everyone on the same page and working in unison.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
How is this going so far? I didn't happen to catch the niche you were in. Congrats btw! What made you not want to presell 3 months in adv?

I couldn't afford the foundation, so I have been Reverse Engineering their process using already successful SaaS in a FB group.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Thanks I appreciate the feedback!

I had worked with one of the developers on a past job. I followed his progress after we both left that company and kept in touch. I approached him first about coming on as a developer for me. We discussed the length and time line of the project and what kind of a team he would need.

Once we had agreed on the details he put the word out to a few people that he had worked well with in the past. We initially brought one guy on but he didn't seem to have the desire. Not showing up when required so we had to cut him and brought on a second recommendation.

The last person we got was via Upwork. I wanted to increase productivity and keep costs low. I placed an add on Upwork for +3 years experience Ruby & Js.node developers. I chose the best candidates that applied and set up and interview time. My lead developer conducted the interview which basically consisted of a coding test to see how proficient the candidate was in coding and taking direction. Eventually we found one we liked and the price was good so we went with them.

The real key was having that first connection with someone who was an expert in coding who I had enough trust and faith in to get the job done. The rest he managed.

The entire team is remote, and communication has been the biggest challenge to get everyone on the same page and working in unison.
Congrats on the progress & keep up the great work!

Would certainly love to hear more when you're ready

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
How is this going so far? I didn't happen to catch the niche you were in. Congrats btw! What made you not want to presell 3 months in adv?

I couldn't afford the foundation, so I have been Reverse Engineering their process using already successful SaaS in a FB group.
Congrats on the progress & keep up the great work!

Would certainly love to hear more when you're ready

Hey guys thanks for the feedback and taking the time to reply to the thread.

Things have slowed up a little for now. Projects tend to have a cycle of expanding (everything moves quickly, new sections of software rolled out, testing and then feedback) then solidifying (everything moves slower, usually based on the feedback and trying to design, add or rework features) every few months .

I'm currently waiting on a few adjustments to meet the needs of the customers. The waiting is always the hardest part. Once this section of code is ready I'll be able to use it across a number of remaining features and hopefully the project will start moving quickly again.

I have a third customer lined up. Its currently a busy time of year for them but I have a meeting set for early November. We have discussed the software in the past and a lot of the function he is looking for in particular is currently being completed.

@LeoistheSun , I didn't pre sell 3 months in advance because I knew would take longer than 3 months to develop the MVP. I feel pre-selling work best when you can have an MVP up and running quickly. I went with more of a soft roll out method, offering customers an opportunity to use and test at a discounted price as it was/is being created. Its a nice balance for me as I get money and feedback for an incomplete product.

When signing my first customer I only signed them up to a 4 month deal for a number of reasons:

1. Because it was the length of time I felt most comfortable with.s (They were happy to use the software in its basic stage and I hoped that after 4 months it would be at an intermediate level. If I couldn't advance the project within 4 months it was an easy out for both of us without souring the business relationship)
  2. But most importantly when the software was at a intermediate level I wanted to be able to charge more. (Locking in at the lower rate for 12months wouldn't have benefited me financially)
I'm keeping the niche to myself for now if thats ok... lol all I can tell you is its a very boring niche.

Plans for the near feature are to:
  1. Finish the MVP hopefully end of this month.
  2. Sign up a third customer early November for the remaining two months of the year.
  3. Collect as much feedback as possible making changes where needed before moving all customers to a higher rate of $750/per month (possibly more) for Jan 2018.
  4. With all of the above going well, finally transition into sales and marketing stage, building my customer base.
Thanks again questions and a feed back are always welcome!:fistbump::thumbsup:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Great work, I got to see this all up close and am really looking forward to the next few months.
If done right this has massive potential - high profit niche and a huge need for a great solution.

Man time has flown by! I got the inside track on this and I am expecting it to blow up in 2018.

With just a few businesses this has easy 6 and 7 figure potential.

Keep on eye on this thread - he is hustling hard.

NewYorkCity

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 7, 2011
Hey guys thanks for the feedback and taking the time to reply to the thread.

Things have slowed up a little for now. Projects tend to have a cycle of expanding (everything moves quickly, new sections of software rolled out, testing and then feedback) then solidifying (everything moves slower, usually based on the feedback and trying to design, add or rework features) every few months .

I'm currently waiting on a few adjustments to meet the needs of the customers. The waiting is always the hardest part. Once this section of code is ready I'll be able to use it across a number of remaining features and hopefully the project will start moving quickly again.

I have a third customer lined up. Its currently a busy time of year for them but I have a meeting set for early November. We have discussed the software in the past and a lot of the function he is looking for in particular is currently being completed.

@LeoistheSun , I didn't pre sell 3 months in advance because I knew would take longer than 3 months to develop the MVP. I feel pre-selling work best when you can have an MVP up and running quickly. I went with more of a soft roll out method, offering customers an opportunity to use and test at a discounted price as it was/is being created. Its a nice balance for me as I get money and feedback for an incomplete product.

When signing my first customer I only signed them up to a 4 month deal for a number of reasons:

1. Because it was the length of time I felt most comfortable with.s (They were happy to use the software in its basic stage and I hoped that after 4 months it would be at an intermediate level. If I couldn't advance the project within 4 months it was an easy out for both of us without souring the business relationship)
  2. But most importantly when the software was at a intermediate level I wanted to be able to charge more. (Locking in at the lower rate for 12months wouldn't have benefited me financially)
I'm keeping the niche to myself for now if thats ok... lol all I can tell you is its a very boring niche.

Plans for the near feature are to:
  1. Finish the MVP hopefully end of this month.
  2. Sign up a third customer early November for the remaining two months of the year.
  3. Collect as much feedback as possible making changes where needed before moving all customers to a higher rate of $750/per month (possibly more) for Jan 2018.
  4. With all of the above going well, finally transition into sales and marketing stage, building my customer base.
Thanks again questions and a feed back are always welcome!:fistbump::thumbsup:

impressed by everything. Similar place as you. I wanted to work for a few years for companies before going off on my own.

How did you get the funding to start hiring developers and your living costs? Did you save hard or do you have outside investors?

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
impressed by everything. Similar place as you. I wanted to work for a few years for companies before going off on my own.

How did you get the funding to start hiring developers and your living costs? Did you save hard or do you have outside investors?

Thanks for the feedback.

2015- I finished my slowlane job in Dec 2015 once I had saved my targeted amount of money.

I worked a six figure job where I saved money specifically for starting a business. My living are costs low, my truck is bought and paid for and cheap rent helps too. I have a social life but I don't smoke or drink.

I had people outside of the project who wanted to invest at the beginning but I turned it down.

Why did I turn it down?... I felt people always talk a good game saying things like, "Well if I was in charge things would be different" or "If I had the money I would do this and that" (I've been guilty of making these types comments in the past). I had the money and the control so I wanted to put "My Money" where my mouth was holding myself accountable.

Should I have taken the money on offer? Maybe.. but I did what I felt was best for the project and myself at the time.

Last edited:

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Its been a productive week:

Bought more hardware for clients to use the software on. Came across two new potential new clients, got their contact details and have emailed them more info. I also have a potential referral from one of my current clients too (Its a great feeling when people start recommending your product/service to others!) I'll try and get more info on them this week.

Development and testing is moving at a really productive pace right now, I want to keep this pace for the last two months of 2017. Feeling pretty positive about the project as a whole right now.

I've also started to look at new potential goals for 2018.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Hi all, its been an while since I've made an update. I'm one feature away from being finished my MVP!! The project is under budget and 2months ahead of schedule but I'm sorry to say I didn't reach my goal of getting 10 clients by end of year. I knew it was ambitious but if you're going set a goal set it high.

A Project In Transition:

The project has taken a new direction. Design/development has taken a back seat to sales/on-boarding. 2018 is now all about sales and the structure I need to put in place to ensure I clearly communicate:

1. Who I am
  2. What my product does
  3. What value it creates/adds to a potential customer

Right now I'm currently working on drawing up a better letter of enguagement for new clients, new and updated material/content for my website and revising my cold emailing/calling processes. New website is coming via Mr. @Fox and once complete I'll be jumping back on the google adwords course via Mr. @Andy Black to refresh my skills!

Software is now paying for itself which has removed any financial burden for the near future. I have 2 more clients coming onboard in early 2018 which will put me firmly in the green. All profits will be put back into growing my company reach and client base in 2018.

This time last year I had nothing but unrefined ideas splashed across sheets of paper... Overall its been a good 12months.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi all, its been an while since I've made an update. I'm one feature away from being finished my MVP!! The project is under budget and 2months ahead of schedule but I'm sorry to say I didn't reach my goal of getting 10 clients by end of year. I knew it was ambitious but if you're going set a goal set it high.

A Project In Transition:

The project has taken a new direction. Design/development has taken a back seat to sales/on-boarding. 2018 is now all about sales and the structure I need to put in place to ensure I clearly communicate:

1. Who I am
  2. What my product does
  3. What value it creates/adds to a potential customer

Right now I'm currently working on drawing up a better letter of enguagement for new clients, new and updated material/content for my website and revising my cold emailing/calling processes. New website is coming via Mr. @Fox and once complete I'll be jumping back on the google adwords course via Mr. @Andy Black to refresh my skills!

Software is now paying for itself which has removed any financial burden for the near future. I have 2 more clients coming onboard in early 2018 which will put me firmly in the green. All profits will be put back into growing my company reach and client base in 2018.

This time last year I had nothing but unrefined ideas splashed across sheets of paper... Overall its been a good 12months.

Well done, cant wait to see what 2018 brings.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Fantastic read!

Question: how are you keeping your devs busy since you are now transitioning to focus more on sales v. MVP development?

Good question.

The project was all about going from 0 to 1, now its about going from 1 to N.

So still plenty for the devs to do, most of the work will revolve around optimization of the current code and clean up of features based on feedback from current customers.

I also want to enhance the users on-boarding experience to more efficient than it currently is right now (On-boarding needs to be smooth, removing as many barriers as possible). It will help with the sales process too. I don't want a customers first experience of my SAAS being one of confusion and frustration.

I do have other features I want to add in the future, they're not critical an so they can wait until optimization and clean up is complete. (Better product, more sales, more cash flow for future development)

It is important to note that my devs are contractors and are paid by the hour so I can cut/reduce people and or hours as needed, I don't have an obligation to keep them busy.

Hope this helped, any other questions please send them my way. I'm more than happy to answer.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Ok time for a short update:

Haha the last few months feel like I've been working really hard for little or no reward. Just seems to be the way when running your own business sometimes. I'm hoping that the hard yards gained in the last few months will pay dividence down the road.

The software for the most part is finished and working well. Right now the focus is cleaning it up to make it look more professional. Altering text, positioning of logos formatting and layout across the board. Sounds simple but the last 10% seems to never end.

Honestly I've come close to breaking point a number of times, but luckily I've been able to regather and push forward. Sometimes when you're frustrated you have to look back and see just how far you've come.

Next few months will be critical to the softwares longterm success, and I feel I need to find a higher gear to help achieve its longterm success.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Is this profitable?

What is your sales process like for this, are you getting a sales team?

The SASS with development costs it breaks even right now. If and when I can cutback on development costs and move more towards maintenance it will make a small profit as it currently stands.

The sales process is what I'm working on at the moment and is a large part of what I'm referring to when I say the next few months will be critical to its success.

(In the past)
Its not that I haven't tried to sell before but past processes have been disjointed and make shift (primarily due to the product developing). In the coming weeks I'll have an accurate website that reflects my products and service, plus social and visual proof of the producing working all in one place.

(I had attracted a few potential clients before through cold emailing, there was initial interest but when they saw the old site it didn't size up with what I was telling them the product could do at that time. On a few occasions I got a message saying "your website says you only do" this, followed shortly after by the lead going cold.)

Moving forward:
I know a website isn't everything but it is an important start when first attracting potential clients (Especially with web based software). I feel I have a much better product to offer now than before. I've also spent time on cost and saving analysis with current clients so that I have strong selling points that are relevant to the customers needs. I know my past cold emailing generated interest as well as an Adwords campaign I had for one section of the software.

Everything has worked to a certain degree individually but fell short of the over all goal. Now I'm attempting to reboot everything but together with one clear consistent message. (This is the higher gear I'm referring to.)

I would love a sales team but I don't think I'm there just yet. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel I need to understand the process and product more before I can relay it to a sales team. If you think I'm missing or over looking something please let me know, feedback is always welcome.

Last edited:

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
(In the past)
Its not that I haven't tried to sell before but past processes have been disjointed and make shift (primarily due to the product developing). In the coming weeks I'll have an accurate website that reflects my products and service, plus social and visual proof of the producing working all in one place.

(I had attracted a few potential clients before through cold emailing, there was initial interest but when they saw the old site it didn't size up with what I was telling them the product could do at that time. On a few occasions I got a message saying "your website says you only do" this, followed shortly after by the lead going cold.)
This reads to me like, we didn't have a good website so we missed out on clients.

Of course I am not aware of how you are selling it with a website currently and a website can be part of the puzzle, but I don't think this should be as big of an issue. I do agree on what you alluded to in aligning on all fronts though.

I know a website isn't everything but it is an important start when first attracting potential clients (Especially with web based software).
Hmm maybe. Usually in what I have seen these software companies are ran by dudes who are really good at the software part, but not so much of the marketing. Kind of the reason I found interest in this post is one of my old software tech buddies just announced his own business on Facebook. This guy's website basically says to the user "We do software." In another example, my company is currently demoing software from a site I just looked up that definitely doesn't sell the product and looks like its about 10 year old site (not a super dated site, but dated).

I reached out to help my friend with his business, but really haven't found a fit for his skills yet and what it could do for someone.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel I need to understand the process and product more before I can relay it to a sales team.
I think you should know this better than your guys who do the coding. Whatever you do, you fix some kind of problem or benefit your customers in some way. If you don't know this I would call and ask your customers.

But at the moment you don't have enough problems with the thing. It's untested - 3 users isn't hardly any data to work with compared to 100 or 1000 users). Getting (attempting to get) more customers will resolve a lot of this uncertainty for you. I think selling the thing would be the most beneficial thing you could do.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
This reads to me like, we didn't have a good website so we missed out on clients.

Its more of an "I was winging it and didn't have a clear concise and consistent message along with an unfinished product".

I had a website it just wasn't good for what I had moved on to. No pictures of the software no real explanation of what it does how it saves time money etc. I didn't offer the website to potential clients but I had the web link in my signature that was sent out with the cold emails. (They obviously took the time to checkout the website to see if I was legit).

The the feedback I was receiving was that the website didn't match what I had said I and was often creating confusion, instead of moving them to a call and demo of the software, they backed out. I don't thinks a website is a big issue to remedy either but clearly an area that needed to be addressed.

Honestly looking back if I was a potential client I would have been put off by it too.

I think you should know this better than your guys who do the coding. Whatever you do, you fix some kind of problem or benefit your customers in some way. If you don't know this I would call and ask your customers.

I meant the sales process, what aspects of the product to mention to a potential client really lock in a sale and what to steer clear of. Everyone has an idea of what someone there selling to wants to hear. If a business needs to know what works before trying to training up a sales team.

But at the moment you don't have enough problems with the thing. It's untested - 3 users isn't hardly any data to work with compared to 100 or 1000 users). Getting (attempting to get) more customers will resolve a lot of this uncertainty for you. I think selling the thing would be the most beneficial thing you could do.

I know this will come across a bit of an excuse or a copout comment but without giving the niche away 1 is enough for what it is and what the niche its structured towards (sounds like complete BS I know). Im not reinventing the wheel just putting a digital spin on it. Because I can meet the regulatory needs of once client it opens the gate to meet the needs of others.

You're right selling it more is the real remedy for its success. I feel its good enough now to be out there with people paying for it and I just have to ensure I start getting it and myself in front of the right people.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
A well overdue update:

I think its safe to say I had lost my direction motivation and confidence a bit this year. I took some time away from this project to try and reignite the passion and desire to continue with it.

The time away helped. I managed to get some breathing room from the project and come back to it refreshed. The main issue I could see was that I was trying to push a product that just wasn't ready, that just didn't fully solve an issue and my answer to this was to push twice as hard. Sounds silly but it can happen when you're not paying attention to the real issues.

I lost focus of what really mattered to potential clients, they wanted someone to fix an initial problem. I confused myself with someone who could fix their initial problem when I was only someone who had a potential software solution that would manage the initial problem once fixed.

I've taken steps to become better rounded in the work I'm doing and so I hope to become someone who can solve this initial problem for people. This doesn't mean the software doesn't work or is obsolete, I was just trying to push it when and where it wasn't immediately needed.

So where is the project now?

After a small redesign, it should be completed by end of year.

The new website is completed and is much better than what was previously there.

The ad campaign is ready and waiting.

Finally, I'm taking a couple of courses for certifications that I had been putting off due to my own ego that will in the long term give me and the software a better chance of success.

The "work in progress!" continues...

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Being in the same software boat, just keep pressing forward. Some months are really hard and taxing, some are full of elation. Do what you've got to do to move forward with it!

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Awesome story. I myself started to learn how to Code. I am learning with Code Academy atm, and will be learning Javascript, etc.. later on.

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Creating this execution thread is probably one of the best decisions I ever made and over a year since my last post. It's amazing to be able to look back and see where I was a year ago compared to where I am today.

A few weeks before I wrote my last update in October 2018 I felt I had pretty much given up on the project or so I thought, but looking back now I think I almost gave up on backing myself. (If you can't back yourself how do you expect anyone else to back you)

The courses I was putting off (because I thought they were beneath me) were ironically are what galvanized me and the project. They helped me find my target audience, refine my SAAS and bridge the gap between solving the customers initial issue and providing a solution to manage it moving forward.

2019 has been a massive improvement, I have been more structured with my approach to design, managing the developers and keeping close/regular contact with customers.

The compound effect of these have provided better relationships with my customers. Better relationships have garnered higher quality feedback. Better feedback has brought higher level of targeted development to sooth pain points within SAAS. The better the SAAS has become the more it has been used. The more it's used the more it has been valued. As much as it felt the project had spun out of control in 2018, it feels like it spun into control this year.

I'm really looking forward to next year and raising the bar even higher.

@Ravens_Shadow , Thank you for the great advice, you couldn't have been more true and accurate.
Being in the same software boat, just keep pressing forward. Some months are really hard and taxing, some are full of elation. Do what you've got to do to move forward with it!

D

DeletedUser0287

Thanks for the feedback.

I worked a six figure job where I saved money specifically for starting a business. My living are costs low, my truck is bought and paid for and cheap rent helps too. I have a social life but I don't smoke or drink.

I had people outside of the project who wanted to invest at the beginning but I turned it down.

Why did I turn it down?... I felt people always talk a good game saying things like, "Well if I was in charge things would be different" or "If I had the money I would do this and that" (I've been guilty of making these types comments in the past). I had the money and the control so I wanted to put "My Money" where my mouth was holding myself accountable.

Should I have taken the money on offer? Maybe.. but I did what I felt was best for the project and myself at the time.

What exactly was the targeted amount that you saved? Part of my venture requires programming, but can’t afford them. I don’t make close to six figures.

Like 99% of my business, I have to self teach myself everything due to low capital. Even with the cost savings of doing everything myself, still coming out short on the money. Takes money to create real value.

I gotta get a six figure job to fund my venture.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.