• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Sean Marshall, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $188,008
    Case in point. I don’t really have a website. My personal brand name site redirects to my LinkedIn profile. My business domain site is a contact us page.

We’ve sold over 50 landing pages, without having a landing page to sell them from.

I don’t run paid search campaigns for myself. I run them for clients. They recommend me to other people and that’s how I get more clients.

You’ve probably noticed I’m pretty active online though... like in TFLF and some Facebook groups.

I presume you’re looking up Sean’s website because he’s been active in here. You found out about it because of his activity here. He’s probably active in other communities, and maybe he’s also got a productocracy where folks spread the good word?

I even get people contacting me because they searched for something to do with AdWords, found a TFLF thread, then signed up to reply to that thread.

2. Pratik_ITpro

Pratik_ITpro New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    That's really detailed and well written. I am an IT guy having in-house SEO, Web & Mobile App Development Team.

I wanted to read more on a points like Outsourcing & Offshore Services which may save the expenses and can give a great marginal profit.

For example:

Key benefits of outsourcing digital marketing project to a full-service digital marketing company are as follow:
    • Helps with digital transformation of business.
    • Easy to scale up or down.
    • Flexible approach.
    • Time-saving.
    • Better ROI.
    Etc....

Hope this make sense :)

Thanks for the post...

MHP368 likes this.
  3. cwalto12

cwalto12 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $443
    What is the best way to go about domain names?

If someone has a website that is outdated and wants to keep the same domain, should I transfer it to whatever hosting site I use or keep it on whatever it is? Or should I make them get a hostgator account for when the site is finished?

On the flip side, if they don’t have a site or want a new domain, should I make it for them or have them create an account and buy it themselves?

Really confused on these scenarios. Any help is appreciated!

4. DaveT

DaveT New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Thank you Sean!!

Mass likes this.
  5. Nolan Harper

Nolan Harper New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $15
    Amazing post!

I've been considering this for a couple years but it seems like everybody and their mother has an agency. I'm an expert in video production for marketing and I am the head of video production for a startup that is pacing to do $150MM this year. My unique proposition would be combining my video with the ads (harmon brothers style), but the difficulty is that almost nothing associated with video production is scalable. Sure you can outsource it (not cheap) but you have to physically be THERE in order to film.

I am also fortunate enough that the company I work for has generously paid for almost any marketing course I have requested. Instantly I get access to some of the most highly sought after training ranging in topics from Youtube optimization to LinkedIn and Facebook ads.

I would only like to make this a side hustle for now. Being in video, I spend many days with the CEO's and I have learned more about being an entrepreneur in the past 6 months than any book could share. My goal is to finish paying off my debts, and then start stacking cash to invest in real estate and businesses.

Any thoughts on a video production agency as a viable side hustle?

Chapas and Bekit like this.
  6. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,116
    learn how to sell. That's all you need to know...it's 90% of the equation.

7. jcvlds

jcvlds JC Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,394
    Startup, and $150MM in revenue is an oxymoron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan Harper likes this.
  8. Nolan Harper

Nolan Harper New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $15
    HAHA certainly is. Company still less than 2 years old, the CEO's just understand how to provide insane value for our clients.

9. Alex Enache

Alex Enache New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $53
    Sean Marshall
    grate! Your post is humiliating my fear to starting an online business :D

10. Anfield

Anfield New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $55
    Neon Lights,

First, please let me apologize for taking so long to respond, however I have been very busy lately and have been focusing on my new business quite significantly.
    I followed Sean's principles for the most part. I worked in sales for many years, so the sales aspect of the business is, as it should, be relatively familiar to me.
    There is never a "best time" to start a business and "drop" your job, something that MJ mentions in his books as well.
    Over the years, I took great pride in putting together teams that I successfully led (as opposed to manage - I can explain the difference in a different post if anyone cares for it), however, the main beneficiary of the success attained by those teams has always been either the owner of the business or, in one case, the owner and the shareholders of the publicly traded company. The reason for this is, obviously, the fact that by being an employee, I was always compensated what someone decided that I should receive. Sure, since the brunt of my income was always based on commission, some could make the argument that "the sky is the limit". While, in a way, I can understand how people can be "sold" in believing this, it couldn't be further from the truth, due to scalability reasons. At the end of the day, you could earn more than other people in your position, however, you are still part of the script and you cannot efficiently scale your income, the way you should be able to do by owning a fastlane business.
    For a very long time I didn't have a problem with all this, because by being stuck in the rat race, having to juggle a full time job (working 60+ hours per week on average, some weeks even more than 80), family time and entertainment, I lost sight of the fact that in my early twenties, I would have laughed at someone my current age - a man who had built his own prison in the form of a job...
    My FTE (f this event) came in my last job, where my earnings potential was the lowest I had had in over 12 years and where I felt that the owner simply regards me as a cog in his wheel, which could be easily replaceable and, also, I felt that he expected me to be grateful and loyal to him for the simple fact that he provided me with a job. (He called me today to renegotiate, however, I turned him down, since I have lost all interest in having a job). I stumbled upon this forum at first, read up for a couple of days, got MJ's first book TFM, finished it in a few days and that became a huge eye opener for me, elevating my thinking to a level that, ironically enough, I hadn't had since my late teens and early twenties.

What did attract me to Sean's business is the scalability potential and the fact that what seems to be biggest obstacle in having success getting it off the ground is, of course, sales. Another reason is the fact that you get to put an entire team together, train them and then set goals for them that me or, eventually, a manager will hold them accountable for. The only thing that is extremely new to me in all this is that I will solely be able to design all the systems in place, rather than having them designed for me and my role being to either implement them, enforce them, or in many cases both.

Time will definitely tell, of course, but I can tell you that, for now, I am happier than I have been in a long time and I have this great feeling when I wake up in the morning knowing that everything I do business related for that day is for the benefit of me and my family.

There is a lot more to be said about this, but I think that I've rambled enough as it is.

11. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $23,373
    I've been wanting to start an in-house marketing team for my company and I can already tell that this thread is going to help me out with that. :)

Thanks for posting this.

12. JonRyan

JonRyan PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    Ive gotten a few different "Start your own SMMA and make 5k+ a month" and none of them were as clear cut and informative as this. Fantastic post and thank you!!

13. Nuruu

Nuruu New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $6
    Thanks Sean for the time you took to write this post. It is just mind blowing, helpful and straight to the point.

14. Matt Hunt

Matt Hunt Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $207
    This thread is absolutely amazing! I have been thinking of starting a social media marketing agency, but my biggest problem was I assumed I needed to learn everything and do all of the work myself! That mindset put it on the backburner as something that would just take up too much of my time. Not sure why I was thinking that way. That's self-employment, not a business. That was before reading MFL. Thank you for the info, Sean!

15. Tanu1234

Tanu1234 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $281
    Very nice post.

I have bit doubt about loyalty of contractor we hired online.

Will they not switch to other jobs if they get higher pay?

How do you pay your contractor - Hourly or Fixed?

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.