• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Sean Marshall, Jul 19, 2018.

1. DaveT

DaveT New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Hi Sean, thank you for all the knowledge you are offering here.
    I would have some questions too:

1. At the beginning, how were you looking for the right companies to offer your services to? Do you think it could be a good strategy to google for a key like "thermography construction company", look for companies on second and third page and offer them the to get in the first page?

2. When you talk to a prospect for the first time introducing your services, how deep you go with details of what you can do for them?

3. Right after you win a new client, do you still get in contact with him or do you assign him to your team?

Thank you!

2. Palamar

Palamar PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    • Consider taking a class or two on Udemy.com or Lynda.com to get an overview of the online marketing world. Strongly consider also going to QuickSprout.com/University
    • Think about an industry you might like to serve (i.e. – chiropractors) and then look up “online marketing for chiropractors” or similar terms and study what comes up.
    Sean, I am pretty new to Online Marketing and was wondering what would be the best courses to take to learn most important aspects of it? Currently signed up for Lynda.com, and just watching all of them one by one, was wondering if I should filter courses or more = better?

Also, what are the best 5 industries to start the business in? What are the hottest 5 which would be able to deliver best results?

3. RoadTrip

RoadTrip Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,557
    If you read the whole thread you would have found the answer already. I really hope you agree that you can’t expect him to give the same answer twice after all the value he has already given.

Since I saved the reply to Evernote, here is Sean’s earlier recommendation:

“I have clients that include:
    Concrete fitting manufacturing
    Adhesive manufacturers
    Thermal imaging
    and others

Nobody is going after these businesses. All the online marketers want to spam dentists and plastic surgeons.

But these "industrial" companies have loads of money and desperately need the help”

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sean Marshall and Simon Ashari like this.
  4. Palamar

Palamar PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    Thanks for the response!

Sean was also wondering about your outsourced team, I respect that you call them your team and they are loyal to your business (very smart and long term oriented) and you pay them well as well to keep mutual interest in success. But have you ever actually went to meet them in Philippines or did you have online Skype sessions, trainings on getting everyone on the same page? Or do you think its unnecessary overhead? How many outsourced team members do you have? And are all of them freelancers or do you have an office in Philippines and someone like a manager/supervisor to coordinate work in a right direction? Or you doing it all yourself through Asana?

Thank you for all the value!

5. Telamon25346

Telamon25346 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $636
    absolutely duped... I'm sure there must be something wrong that i'm doing, but getting the first sale has been very hard, I've been putting some upfront value like website audits, videos, but i've just been receiving NO's.

Any ideas? I'm ready to do anything, my current method just doesn't seem to be working. I'll knock on doors if I have to

6. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,040
    A couple suggestions...

Maybe your approach is wrong. Maybe you need to target different businesses. Try to niche down (if you haven't already) and/or target clients that have no social media or some other really obvious problem. They will be easier to sell to. There is a lot of competition out there and a lot of businesses are hit up all the time by marketers.

Your pitch/offer and how you deliver it is also important. When I send out proposal for copywriting jobs I learned how to talk to people to make them say yes. The first thing is identify their problem and then explain how you will solve it (and are the best person for the job). You then need some sort of statement or proof you have some credibility. You need to disarm them. They have to trust you enough to not feel like they are taking a big risk. Remove all or as much risk to them as possible.

Then if you want, you can even write out a step-by-step process about how you are going to deliver the results to them (make them visualize and think about how easy it is and that this won't cause them any stress/headaches) . Expectations about time and money is something else I have learned clients like to know.

Anyway, you have to be a bit creative and learn what things need to be said to get a client sold on you. It's a bit of a practice and requires some testing and tweaking. Mix up your pitch/offer.

Other than this, it helps to create content and market yourself on various channels.

Luke Anderson and MHP368 like this.
  7. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,717
  8. cwalto12

cwalto12 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $443
    So...did anyone try Sean's $499 course? :clench:

9. Marty Foley

Marty Foley New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Sean, great info you've been sharing.

Quick question, when you said the above, are you talking about a website (hosting?) security/maintenance package?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

10. MHP368

MHP368 the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,451
    superb thread.

So have you found most companies want an all in one marketing team package or do you feel plenty of room exists for just web design or jsut lead gen or SEM etc ?

While your building out a team would it make more sense to be a generalist and price accordingly or is it just as easy to find folks with a specific skillset and then have them as an ace up the sleeve before making the sales?

I was looking around and obviously consumer focused companies and small businesses are the main focus , not so much industrial internet marketing, but then I feel like finding talent to outsource work for on such a niche might be a serious roadblock.

11. Wiezel

Wiezel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $657
    @Sean Marshall I'm talking to a company owner (indoor activities) who told me their challenge is expanding quickly and adaptation to changes in the niche/market.

How do I know what I can offer them? What service?
    I guess FB/IG ads to get more customers in their places (younger people is there target group).
    Currently they run a few ads (not that great) but they're also very low ranked on Google (#16).

How should I present to them what their best option is to do that I can solve for them?
    There are so many online options to help a company, how do I know which one is the best for now?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  12. Anfield

Anfield New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $55
    I read both e-books and I also purchased the course. I feel that there is a tremendous amount of great information and a great step by step guide for opening a lifestyle business. For the amount of money Sean charges, he gives out a boatload of information that is both thorough and very well structured.

A question came to mind, nevertheless. I did a search and I didn't find an answer to this yet. If there already is an answer, I apologize.
    My question is: since some student's comments in the course are 5 years old and Sean is stating that he has several thousand students, how many of them have already achieved the lifestyle status with their companies that were set up following Sean's advice? Basically - how many people are now able to work less than 10 hours per week and be somewhat financial independent, sustaining their lifestyle solely through cloning Sean's online marketing agency?

Luke Anderson likes this.
  13. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,040
    Do a little exploring or ask them directly where their weaknesses are. Talk about a long term strategy you guys can build off that will result in more traffic and sales. Ask them about their sales funnel and look for ways to optimize it.

Maybe they need a better website? Maybe their social media presence is weak or non-existent? Maybe their copywriting sucks? It can be all or any of these things. Your job is to diagnose the problem, come up with a plan, and present it to them all while reducing their risk for investing in you. Talk about a long-term strategy you guys can implement, test, and re-adjust. You should know that a businesses main focus is to increase more sales. You be the mastermind in accomplishing that.

Wiezel likes this.
  14. A-A-ron

A-A-ron New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $92
    This post is full of so much information. Thank you, Sean! I have some experience with SEO from a previous ecommerce business that I owned, but have been really studying SEM over the past couple months to brush up. My intent is to build a SEM business which caters specifically to Veteran Owned Businesses.
    Thanks again. This thread is worth reading several times over and over!
    Aaron

15. bumble_bee

bumble_bee Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Thanks for the post Sean!

May I ask for the name/URL of your online marketing agency?

16. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,717
    Socialrocketship

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

17. A-A-ron

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Personally, I would focus more on the different services and NOT advertise set prices for your different service packages and here’s why.
    If your car is broke, your auto mechanic is going to first have to diagnose the problem before giving you a price to do the repairs.
    SEO services should be not different.
    First...offer to provide a FREE SEO audit of the customers website (creates value). I believe you will find that some websites will require more work than others.
    Next...provide the customer with a proposal based on the amount of work it is going to take to get their website performing like it should.
    This gives you the ability to gather quotes from outsourcers, which you mark up, and ensures that you do not undercut yourself.
    Just my $.02
    Aaron

18. Shaw Caldwell

Shaw Caldwell PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    This is an amazing thread. So thankful for this.

Nonetheless I have questions.

Is there a way I could get a list of recently licensed plumbers, roofers, etc? In my state there are testing facilities scattered around that test every few months. Nice business cards, a stack of brochures, and a good pitch might go a long way there on the test dates. I would rather just have a list and a no-brainer offering as I'm especially incompetent at high stakes social situations.
    Maybe I could get in contact with Commercial Registered Agents and get recommendations from them. Does anyone have any experience with how viable that might be?

I was thinking I might try to make an algorithm to create a list of prime candidates by scraping state Business Record Listing and looking at other variables (time since incorporation, number of employees, businesses that have markings of DIY, age of owner, outdated copyright or software on website, website with an abandoned but still live blog, etc).

Is this way overkill?

I've got most of a website, I've toyed with sales videos a little bit, and I'm very vaguely familiar with most aspects of online marketing. With selective omissions and some benefit of the doubt, I think I could get through a sale.

I'm excited to be well on my way to the fastlane. Thanks everyone

19. A-A-ron

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Shaw,
    These are good ideas, but I think you could get a faster start by starting with your inner circle and working outwards. Think of those that you know that have a business and do a little bit of research before contacting them. If they don't have a business website, then you could propose building one for them that is already built for SEO. If they DO have a website, run a free SEO audit and see if you can help them out. Check out this site: SimilarWeb.com. They have a free version, which does not give you all the tools of the paid version, but you can at least see if their website is performing good or not. Just enter their url and see what comes up.
    I did this exact thing for a friend of mine this past weekend. My friend owns a tree service and his website is horrible. After running a check on Similarweb, I called him up and told him that I think I can help him out. He said he's been paying a company $400 a month to do SEO...what a joke.
    I then went and research a few keywords so that I could check the local competition out. The highest PA and DA scores of the competitive sites were in the low 20's and very few of them had any backlinks. I think I could probably build him a new Wordpress site and get him ranking on the first page within a few months. We're supposed to talk again tomorrow. Wish me luck. This will be my first customer.
    I hope this helps!
    Aaron

Sean Marshall and Young Money like this.
  20. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,282
    That looks like every other email out there.

Yes!

I would only change the wording to "...a few improvements YOU can make right away..." and then a benefit like...."a few improvements you can make right away to your website to boost the amount of leads coming through your contact form..." Or something like that.

They don't have the time or inclination to do it themselves. If they do, they're not your ideal client.

Bekit and A-A-ron like this.
  21. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,282
    I target local businesses but live internationally.

I have students from El Salvador, Brazil, and other places all with successful businesses. If they can do it, anyone from anywhere in Europe or N. America can do it.

22. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $9,282
    Thanks. And sure, I get that.

I get all of my new business from referrals.

All of our clients are on a month-to-month basis. They stay with us because they want to stay on - because of the results we get them.

Because of that, I'm not too concerned about my own SEO - not trying to rank for anything or impress anyone. If prospects need proof of our work, I show them the work we've actually done for real clients.

But I appreciate it. There are indeed a lot of wanna-be's out there.

23. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $9,282
    Yes. It's why they pay me month after month. Because the work we do gets their phone ringing more. They make more money as a result of what we do. Period.

That's why I have clients that I've had since 2010.

ExaltedLife likes this.
  24. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $9,282
    Many people find it's best to start with a Per-Project basis. Then move to part-time and then to full time as the work justifies it. It gives you a chance to know your VA's and make sure they're doing a good job.

All communication is done via email and Asana.

Upwork is a good place to initially find people. Even French speakers.

Bru likes this.
  25. Sean Marshall

Rep Bank:
    $9,282
    Show them the results you get for other clients.

Example:

If a roofing company lands a new customer for a $30,000 roof as a direct result of something you did, then they have no problem paying you $1000/mo (or whatever you charge). It's simple math.

Results sell. And they justify the cost.

Besides, I never personally deal with anyone who's "shopping around." If they're looking for a deal or to go cheap, I know they have a fear mindset and they make the WORST clients.

In some cases, because of the conversation I've had with certain prospects, I literally double my prices. If they go for it, then it makes them worth the time and possible pain.

Andy Daniels likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.