The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can shiny object syndrome be good?

Idea threads

martinz1995

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jan 12, 2022
Hi so I currently operate a wedding photography/videography business, which is doing okay but I am thinking of investing in another business.

Now I know having shiny object syndrome is heavily frowned upon but the wedding photo/video industry is really declining. Marriages are declining and with the rise of smartphones, demand has also decreased a lot.

As a hedge against this, I am considering starting another business, one that isn't super high maintenance such as software (which I have some experience in coming from a software and marketing background) or even a YouTube channel to hedge against the declining market.

After I pay my team, insurance, marketing expenses etc. I'm thinking of putting some of the profits into another business. I know many advocate putting earnings into investments like stocks or even crypto for example but I think another business would yield better ROI (if successful)
Any thoughts or advice on whether this is a good idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If the other business flops horribly, will it still have any value? How would it compare to something simple like silver, or real estate?

Not to discourage you... I've done the same thing. But the "other business" might not succeed, so you have to consider whether that's an acceptable outcome given the perceived direction of your current business.

Sometimes the risk on what you're already doing is acceptable because you understand it, and putting the excess into something more stable makes more sense than investing in things you don't understand.

Then again, if you want to try something because you think it's the right thing, limit your risk. That number is different for everyone. But a good guideline is whether it reduces your quality of life. If you can keep living the way you do and still invest in the new thing, it's a plausible choice.

If investing in the new thing restricts your lifestyle and ALSO risks you excess capital, regard it with suspicion.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think this is shiny object syndrome. If you start this next business, let's say it is a youtube channel and then in 3 months, you decide you don't want to do youtube and move to another, that would be shiny object syndrome.

Right now, you have a rational reason for starting another business. I say you should.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I don't think this is shiny object syndrome. If you start this next business, let's say it is a youtube channel and then in 3 months, you decide you don't want to do youtube and move to another, that would be shiny object syndrome.

Right now, you have a rational reason for starting another business. I say you should.
I second this thinking.

What is the new business? If it's a related field, you might be able to leverage your existing business to boost the new one.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hi so I currently operate a wedding photography/videography business, which is doing okay but I am thinking of investing in another business.

Now I know having shiny object syndrome is heavily frowned upon but the wedding photo/video industry is really declining. Marriages are declining and with the rise of smartphones, demand has also decreased a lot.

As a hedge against this, I am considering starting another business, one that isn't super high maintenance such as software (which I have some experience in coming from a software and marketing background) or even a YouTube channel to hedge against the declining market.

After I pay my team, insurance, marketing expenses etc. I'm thinking of putting some of the profits into another business. I know many advocate putting earnings into investments like stocks or even crypto for example but I think another business would yield better ROI (if successful)
Any thoughts or advice on whether this is a good idea?
You mean people are taking their own wedding photos with smart phones?

Sallo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jan 15, 2022
Modena, Italy
I don't think you're affected by the shiny object syndrome, it's normal to aim for the maximum. So if you recognize a great opportunity based on a real need of the market and you find out how to offer real value, communicate your offer and then meet the demand, why not? Do it.
But don't make the mistake of who is really affected by the syndrome, whose rationality is blurred by the insatiable yearning of money and jumps from an opportunity to another every week just because they failed at the first attempts.

Think of it. Maybe there's a need waiting for fulfillment even in your sector, and since you're an INSIDERS you can work to solve it with a CENTS system right now.

Sallo

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.