The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Blogging for Profit (With Legendary GOLD Follow Up Posts)

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Allow me to add to this thread from the perspective of somebody who has been blogging for many years with the wrong mindset, resulting in making hardly any money at all.

I STILL have the wrong mindset. And I am STILL struggling, so I am not trying to pretend to be an expert here. Just sharing my thoughts.

The mindset of the "creative"
I have always approached blogging from the mindset of being a "creative". This means, that I primarily saw myself as writer, not as an entrepreneur. I worked my a$$ off producing content... every single day... but with ZERO plans on how to monetize this.

My expectation was that if only I built a large-enough audience, eventually I would make money. All I needed to do for that is to create awesome content that people loved.

I never really thought about:

- which problem to solve
- what kind of solution to offer
- who exactly my target audience was
- what my revenue streams could be

Instead, I wrote about what I thought would be "interesting" to others. That was all the value I wanted to provide - being interesting. As a result, I only attracted people who wanted to read "interesting" and, most importantly, FREE stuff.

So yeah, while I managed to attract quite a fair amount of readers, I never really succeeded at making money out of any of these efforts.

I only built a blog, but I didn't built a business.

What I failed to do, was the conceptual work on my business. Coming up with a real idea on how I could provide value and for whom. And then build all my work around that concept. That concept could've given me the necessary sense of direction to move forward, instead of just continuously writing about different sorts of things that "came to my mind".

What I am going to try now is to focus more on the business side of things while treating the blog for what it is: a marketing channel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Danny01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jan 20, 2019
Many people complain that Blogging is dead because of lack of traffic. For me, SEO is the lifeblood of the biz.

Silver shadow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 4, 2017
Nigeria
Allow me to add to this thread from the perspective of somebody who has been blogging for many years with the wrong mindset, resulting in making hardly any money at all.

I STILL have the wrong mindset. And I am STILL struggling, so I am not trying to pretend to be an expert here. Just sharing my thoughts.

I have always approached blogging from the mindset of being a "creative". This means, that I primarily saw myself as writer, not as an entrepreneur. I worked my a$$ off producing content... every single day... but with ZERO plans on how to monetize this.

My expectation was that if only I built a large-enough audience, eventually I would make money. All I needed to do for that is to create awesome content that people loved.

- which problem to solve

Instead, I wrote about what I thought would be "interesting" to others. That was all the value I wanted to provide - being interesting. As a result, I only attracted people who wanted to read "interesting" and, most importantly, FREE stuff.

So yeah, while I managed to attract quite a fair amount of readers, I never really succeeded at making money out of any of these efforts.

What I failed to do, was the conceptual work on my business. Coming up with a real idea on how I could provide value and for whom. And then build all my work around that concept. That concept could've given me the necessary sense of direction to move forward, instead of just continuously writing about different sorts of things that "came to my mind".

What I am going to try now is to focus more on the business side of things while treating the blog for what it is: a marketing channel.
This is a terrific contribution to a terrific thread. Learnt lots of lessons here.

Kimmy XD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My personal blog/website income to date is around 1/40th of my content marketing income to date. And I've been working on my personal sites it for for around 5x as long!

It's doable, but being a good digital marketer is only part of it. You have to be very driven IMO. I love writing, but writing for my blog is painful!
This resonated with me. Sometimes, the act is just so darn hard to initiate out of idk... either laziness or burnout. But, ofc never an excuse. Now that we have ChatGPT, a lot of "bloggers" utilize this and make their "job" easier by copy pasting and then, we have blogs that produce content just to produce more content without the goal of actually giving people meaningful data. I love it but at the same time, I hate how it is a little bit unfair. IDK.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nicheevolution

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 10, 2020

- which problem to solve

This sounds like me with my old niche site lol. Attracted a tonne of cheapskate freeloaders who just wanted everything for "free".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.