• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

EXECUTION Adding More Zero’s – Journey to Market Disruption and Building Generational Change

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by GPM, Feb 8, 2018.

1. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    Update time.

This. Moves. At. A. Snails. Pace.

So we have been talking with 2/3 of the distributors, and it sounds pretty awesome so far. Big business is a fascinating beast, no doubt about it. THEY offered to carry the note on this, so they will essentially be our bank on this deal.

Our customer makes an order -> We make an order with our spec manufacturer -> Deliver to the distributor and they pay us -> We pay our manufacturer -> Our customer pays the distributor.

The ability to scale this by using 100% someone else's cash on this is pretty amazing. If we go after anyone else that completely frees up our capital and actual banking to worry about those deals. These ones can grow nearly infinitely on their own. It also builds levels of trust with two big a$$ companies instead of just one. Very cool.

The customer on these deals have also passed us through more regulatory stages. From the sound of it we are good to go, just waiting for them to run out of their existing supplies. We are getting closer and closer to the goal line on this. It is getting exciting.

Tommo, YoungPadawan, MTEE1985 and 5 others like this.
  2. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    So something that I have noticed in regards to a shift in mindset.

Before, I was motivated by being able to own cool stuff. I love fast cars. I love to travel. I want fancy watches and high end electronics.

As some of you know, we had a baby a squeak over a month ago. Now that is all I can think about. Sure I still want the fancy stuff, but when I really deep-down think about what I want, it all revolves around family. I think that if I had 100k in the bank to spend, not a penny of it would go towards toys for me. It would all go towards facilitating family.

I want a larger house, but this isn't for some gaudy reason to show off. I want something that a community can gather at. I want family and friends to want to come over, for it to be a destination to get away and build relationships. I want to be able to fly and see family that is on the other side of the country, or a different country all together.

I am sure the toys will come, but they have been bumped to the bottom of the list in a big way.

Sorry for boring you all with that, back to business!

So a while back I saw a big delivery truck that advertised on the side what it is that their company does. I thought to myself "GPM, this looks like a company that needs what we have, I better find out how to talk to them". I ended up finding their purchasing and logistics manager on LinkedIn. After some back-and-forth we started to email each other. Turns out they can use what we have. We discussed volumes and frequency and well as pricing, and came to something that sound agreeable between us.

Today I drove down to meet him in person, and dropped off a sample for them to test. If all goes well, we could become their newest supplier.

This business might not go anywhere, but if it does it literally came about from me seeing a delivery truck while out on a walk and following up on it. Keep your eyes open, there are literally opportunities all over the place.

3. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $631

Don't you just love snow? lol

Exciting stuff! Keep on killing it!
    [​IMG]

GPM likes this.
  4. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,622
    It's biological man. Story after story goes exactly the same. Have a kid. Instant life priority reorganization.

The day my daughter was born was the day I knew I could no longer be a teacher.

5. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,655
    Very very cool. Arguably a FAR more powerful motivator.

This is the difference between a legacy builder and a "rich prick" that normal people love to hate.

I love the quote: "Money talks and wealth whispers."

UnrealCreative, amp0193, SMH and 3 others like this.
  6. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,281
    Beautiful ! A simple look and a bit of curiosity can bring business ! Awesome.

GPM likes this.
  7. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    So I am in the process of writing a stack of letters by hand, which will be mailed out in hand-addressed envelops. These will go to the COO's of various companies that we have an interest in. I am finding their information from their corporate websites (most list this information) and/or LinkedIn.

The letter is going to be short and sweet. It will contain no pitch or call to action. Simply a nice concise statement on company letterhead, and the inclusion of my business card. I am borrowing heavily from John D. Rockefeller for the tone and subject. He may have done this over 100 years ago, and done it in person (pretty hard with gatekeepers today) but I believe that the power of written word in ones hands may even hold more sway today than it did back then. I guess we will see how it goes.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.

To industry!

Mutant, NMdad, Hijena1 and 8 others like this.
  8. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    Hit a bad piece of news in regards to this. The one company that we may have been able to do some business with, is not going to work out. For whatever reason, we did not meet their testing requirements.

I tried to get more feedback about what caused this not to work in the application, but I got a canned answer along the lines of "does not fit our needs for this application". We have a feeling we know why, but are not 100% sure. It sucks, but the big fish are still being reeled in and it works for their applications.

amp0193, SMH, Roz and 3 others like this.
  9. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,622

Any chance of re-formulating on your hunch, and then re-opening the talks? Or is the door closed?

GPM, YoungPadawan and MTEE1985 like this.
  10. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    Would not be worth it in this case. If this is something that we run in to a lot in the future it could be something to address. However, this was a small account that would have just been some extra gravy. Either way I have their contact info and might hit them up in the future and see what we can work out.

So we are still plugging away at this. It is literally 3-weeks between each communication that I get back from one major player. I just keep going though. Lots of calls, leaving messages, emails... anything I can to keep myself on their radar. Each time I think it is hopeless I end up getting a communication back and I realize that by keeping on them, this deal stays alive.

If they were not interested, they wouldn't keep (slowly) moving forward. I always need to remind myself of this and just keep hounding them.

Some good points of news though. I have a phone meeting with their sourcing department tomorrow. As best I can figure out, this is the last thing that we need to figure out. I also had a great conversation with a higher-up at another company who thinks that what we have may work for several of their customers. I am going to be pursuing this HARD once this main deal goes through, as it will be a pretty significant proof-of-concept in a real world scenario.

Just to put this in to perspective for those trying to think big. Our first meeting with this potential customer was in NOVEMBER 2017. That is over a year later with zero income from this, all the while accumulating expenses, and spending a fair amount of time putting this all together. It is driving us insane that we are where we are at over a year later, but unfortunately this is how the game is played. This is also insane that this is how the game is played, and we fully plan on taking advantage of just how ancient this all is once we start making a name for ourselves.

You have to be willing to put in YEARS with no expected return in order to get those massive world-changing numbers later on. Like ol' GC says, he hammered for years and years before he became an "overnight success".

Mutant, Roz, Kak and 4 others like this.
  11. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    Success!!!!

We are going through the fine print and details. But looks like it is all going through.

They are going to be emailing me the contact for where we will be shipping the goods, and the billing will all go through this person as well.

I don't yet know the exact order quantity or frequency (this is a consumable product), or the initial order date, but it is a go. This should all be sorted out soon, and with any luck it will become regular orders that get automatically filled whenever they need it, which will be very regular.

For anyone who has read or gone through Jordan Belfort's sales books or program, he talks about setting anchors when you are in peak states. He says you should set these anchors through actions and scents. You can then recall these states through going through those actions and smelling those unique scents.

I ordered these things called "boom boom" sticks (Thanks for grabbing them for me @biophase) which are unique and powerful scents in a tube. I have had it sitting in my drawer since February of this year, and just now opened it and grabbed a whiff. I forgot to do my action, but that is okay, I can do it the next time we get a big sale or move forward on a powerful event like this.

The end goal of that is that every time I have a major meeting or conversation, I can do the action and smell this smell, and be in that peak state again, which should help me rock and be on top of the event.

Stay tuned for more success...

Mutant, Roz, NMdad and 3 others like this.
  12. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    Well that was fast. Like crazy fast. It went from "I am not sure on the details on when we will need our first order" over the phone, to receiving a confirmation email with an order 30 minutes later.

Based on previous conversations with them we knew roughly how much they needed, but they made it sound like it was not as much as we were hoping. While I don't yet have the frequency for when they will need to order again, they went and absolutely BLEW UP my expectations on a first order. So yea, this is insanely good news. I imagine that once we are officially in place and used in a real-world environment (as opposed to just lab tests), all the doors will open up on them using our product.

The ball has been set in motion, we have a hundred steps to take from here that we were waiting on. January is going to be a freaking whirlwind of activity to capitalize on this.

Mutant, B. Cole, Hyrum and 9 others like this.
  13. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,655
    @GPM is the man to watch for 2019! Hell freaking YES!!!

Everyone that reads this should dump 500 rep on Mr @GPM right freaking now. Trust me. Do it.

Congrats Buddy, you have kicked constant a$$ through the most bureaucratic mess I have seen in a LONG time! You've earned a closer dinner and closer Christmas for that matter!

You are going to be able to give your family the world.

FOLKS... Notice the time frame on this thread. This is what hard work looks like.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Mutant, B. Cole, YoungPadawan and 4 others like this.
  14. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    I am just throwing this out there for anyone reading. When this started I was so hesitant about everything due to my own self limiting beliefs. I used to have to pump myself up for 10 minutes before a phone call, put the number in my phone, and hit dial before I could stop myself from doing it.

Fast forward to right now and I am literally in negotiations with a Vice President at a pretty major company. Why I am talking to a VP and not just some lackey, who the heck knows! But here we are. It might have to do with never even trying to go through the small fish on this, I went straight to the top and worked my way down to whoever was going to need this.

I think that this is a better way of doing business, rather than filling out the "contact us" form or calling someone's 1-800 or secretary number.

Mutant, Kingmaker, Hijena1 and 6 others like this.
  15. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 There is no opportunity in comfort Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,029
    In my limited time on the forum I have learned of Kak says do something, just freaking do it so...rep sent!

@GPM Unbelievable man, you’ve done in less than a year what 99.999% of people couldn’t do in a decade.

@MJ DeMarco @Vigilante might be time for a thread upgrade!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    SMH, Roz, Kak and 1 other person like this.
  16. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    So we are now set up to be suppliers for 2 of these major vendors. Through them we can move product to nearly any company in North America who wants our goods. That is the plan anyways.

At this point in time my job is to keep prodding a few key people at a few different companies to just put an order in. All the pieces of the puzzle are in the place, now we just have to get the ball rolling and it should be fairly straight forward.

I can not stress just how easy this can be. For anyone who is scared to do something, just start talking to people. I shit you not, the last 2 weeks I have been talking to old contacts I have in the industry and just asking simple questions. I also gave my brother who is working in an adjacent industry to what I am dealing in to ask a few key questions to anyone he is talking to.

By doing this I came back with some small nuggets of information, which I then just honed into more specific questions I could ask. I came up with a name of a product. I googled that product, came up with the company that makes it. From there I talked to someone in that company, got referred from WITHIN the company to their buyer. So now I am going to be talking to their buyer at their headquarters AND I have a reference from within their own company. This last little bit literally happened this morning.

It is not rocket science, you just need to do a little bit of digging and get on the phone or send some emails. Never be afraid to talk to anyone. Titan's of industry are flesh and blood, same as anyone else.

I am not selling private labeled coasters or wine bottle openers, I am not negotiating to save $50 on a sample from China. The size of these orders would probably make most people's eyes water. And each time I think that I am going after something big, it isn't really. There are 100 ways to go about this making it even bigger and last even longer.

For anyone who has some big grand idea out there, GO AFTER IT. One bite at a time. This stuff does not happen overnight, and there is literally no limit to the size that anything can be. It all starts the same though, one piece of action, which then gets built upon by another piece of action. Before you know it you have 100 pieces in place and are putting deals together.

Mutant, B. Cole, ExaltedLife and 7 others like this.
  17. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    All set to go. They are calling me before the end of the week to let me know when to expect an order.

I am not going to say anything more than that, but the phone call had some seriously good news as well. Looks like they may have been playing some of this close to their chest, and now that we are officially going to be supplying them, the real numbers are going to be coming out soon.

Persistence, persistence, persistence. There were 100 times I could have given up, or just accepted that I left them a message and was waiting for them. Any one of those times this could have just gone nowhere. There is a reason that these companies have such shitty service, the employees they deal with do just that. They do the absolute minimum to get by. We are providing excellent service and I think it is starting to show. I have already been thanked by someone for keeping them in the loop, as no one ever thought to do so with them before.

It is comments like that that let me know I am on the right track and I need to keep going.

Prepare for BIG things. I am flying here folks! That positive feedback loop is kicking in, and it is making going after more business even easier.

My wife and new baby are pretty happy as well. I was let go from a 6-figure job in the summer of 2017 and have been working for free since then. You want stress? Try doing that with a wife and a brand new baby! Needless to say, she is happy beyond words and just amazingly excited for all of this.

For anyone struggling through the Desert of Desertion, KEEP GOING!!! The ONLY way to reach that light at the end of the tunnel is to keep going. If you give up you will literally never reach it. A few years of struggle is NOTHING when compared to the alternative being "never".

Mutant, B. Cole, SMH and 8 others like this.
  18. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $48,622
    What's funny is that it can take the same, or less, time to close a low dollar deal as a $XXX,XXX.

Some of the largest ROI of mine on invested time have been a few short back and forths with someone highly influential.

But in the day to day, it can be easy to get sucked into haggling over pennies with tire-kickers, if you let it happen. Not every deal is worth closing.

Always remember the value of your time. (saying this for myself as much as anyone).

Kak, MTEE1985 and GPM like this.
  19. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $48,622
    Number of times someone has thanked me for following up consistently: countless

Number of times someone has told me to stop emailing them so much: never (except for cold contacts that never showed any interest to begin with)

Wow!

Kak, B. Cole, MTEE1985 and 1 other person like this.
  20. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    So I am up watching the baby tonight, my wife needs a break. She has been an absolute dream, and watches the baby nearly every single night so that I can get a good night sleep to keep working on what I need to work on.

I went back through this thread and read most of the posts over again. I nearly did not start this progress thread. I felt like I had nothing to offer anyone and even writing it might be a bit of a waste as I really did not have much movement on anything.

Well let me tell you, reading about how long and crappy this has been, and all the little things I had to do to get where I am now... Wow! What a change. I can remember the state of mind I was in while posting, and I look at where I am now. I honestly feel like a different person. My confidence and ability to deal with these people has gone through the roof, and my growth is exponential. Feeling the way I do now while looking back at my old posts, I am incredibly excited for 'future me' to be looking back at 'today me' to see how much further I have grown.

Starting a progress thread has given me some snapshots in time to go back and look at. If anyone has a business that they are completely serious about and working on, but you don't yet have a progress thread, get on it now! Your future self will thank you.

Mutant, Kak, B. Cole and 5 others like this.
  21. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $48,622
    My future self can't stomach my first progress thread from 5 years ago. It's tough to read!

Glad it's there though.

Kind of like that high school Xanga that probably still exists some where.

Kak and GPM like this.
  22. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $181,936
    Yeah. I have a 4.5 year old progress thread on the inside. I started a new one for 2019, but will link them both together. One day I’ll maybe read through them from start to finish.

Kak and GPM like this.
  23. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,835
    Badass @GPM ! I just caught up with this thread, and connected super hard with your frustrations of stuff moving at other people’s pace. Nobody ever loves your business like you!

Plenty of bus stops along the road that say quit and go home, I’m proud of you for jogging on by. Keep kicking a$$!

Kak, GPM and MTEE1985 like this.
  24. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    So the big stuff - It. Still. Has. Not. Gone. Through.

We were all geared up for the sales to start at the end of December 2018. We were vetted, our material had gone through the lab testing, we solved the vendor issue, everyone is happy and ready to go. We had an email saying that they wanted an order. And then? Nothing! Just drops off the map completely. I have been trying to figure out what is going on, and every now and then I get a small flash of light.

One week I am on the phone with these guys, and they are sounding like they want 10x as much as they originally wanted. They want to set us up as a direct vendor and are making sure we are able to handle the size of orders that they want, and have the capability to back this how they need it. Everything is great and we want to help them out any way they want. Then silence...

It was not a small amount of work that three companies went through in order for all of this to be vetted, so I am still confident that it will still happen, it is just a matter of when. It sucks on our end because this is our livelihood, for everyone else they still collect their paycheck every two weeks.

One ray of sunlight is that our original testing was for one application, they are currently testing it out for several more applications. So the big picture event keeps getting bigger. However, that is not much consolation back at home for the day-to-day when I have a baby sucking the food back and pooping it back out like it is going out of style

Sheens, SMH, Roz and 3 others like this.
  25. GPM

Rep Bank:
    $27,471
    The small stuff - This. F*cking. Sucks.

So I have a single pallet of material coming in from China. It has to land in Vancouver, clear customs, and then ship mainland to Calgary. I am out of the country for a month in Mexico, so not going to be physically present for any of this.

I have been in constant contact with my freight forwarder the entire time because I need to arrange all of this from out of country. They are aware that I will be away as well. The last time I heard from then my order "was delayed at sea due to a storm". Then magically on Monday they tell me that my product has landed and I need to pay for my shipment and customs ASAP. I pay these on Tuesday, to which they reply I also need to pay for 8 days of storage in Vancouver since my product has been sitting there too long.

Once I paid for my customs they released the pallet to Calgary and it should arrive by tomorrow. Now the real fun starts because the storage fees in Calgary are 3x more than they were in Vancouver.

The best part about all of this? My father was going to pick this up for me and handle it on to the final destination, with the caveat that this had to happen before March 8th. March 8 happens to be the day it gets to Calgary, so his help won't happen.

I am trying to figure out WTF happened with my FF, but I am guessing that this is a case of dealing with people who don't give a damn about their jobs. If they had done their jobs and told me when the pallet arrived so that I could have it clear customs, there would have been no extra charges and it would have been handled nicely in Calgary. Done and done. But instead I am looking at close to $1000 in extra fees on this shipment due to their incompetence, which of course I am going to fight.

Keep in mind all this work and headache is over some stupid product that is going to net me like $10,000 or some pittance like that. Plus I still have to do all of the work in order to even sell these goods. Plus all of the horrible fees UP FRONT that I have to pay for.

The amount of work does not change whether I am dealing with the business that has the potential to generate income for my great grandkids, or this crap that pays for a few bills or office supplies. What would you rather work on? I know which one I pick...

Hours are hours. Keep that in mind when you are working on your "business". Are you working on a "time for money exchange" or are you working for something that can actually make a difference in your life. It is actually significantly more stressful for me to be working on this small shit than trying to blow up some massive deal. It is enjoyable when I know I am trying to move mountains, it is a pain in the a$$ when I am fighting over tens of dollars.

Tommo, Sheens, Mutant and 4 others like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.