The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Fastlane Journey & $100,000/Month Sales 4 Months After Start-Up

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Im kind of falling trouble finding a product that will sell, I do know where to sell them, but I just cant decide on what to sell.

When I started, I picked products that I know will surely help others. I also picked the cheapest that I can afford while affording the highest quality, with as high a margin as possible (value comes first, the basics). Then I went the old traditional way of informing people of what I sell, and because the products I offer do provide great value to others, relatives and friends were inclined to support. What matters in the early stage really is how you get visitors to your site. SEO work, forum participation, promotion, etc. Remember, I had my time when I had to drive far away everyday just to make that single sale traditional salesman style, while being extremely eager in hoping that the business would grow. In my mind it was - 15 minutes of drive, $30 sale, my profit margin may be about $15, minus petrol, I still have $6-7 which pays for my lunch so that's extra earned. There is nothing fancy about that, you're serving others as if you're working as an employee or slave. But I kept in mind that even if I'm left with e.g. $2 after lunch, at least it was something earned and I was able to put meal on my table entirely through the business. And this customer might go ahead and tell more people about us - 1 more customer earned is 1 more increment to your customer base. It's incredibly important to slowly build the value impression of your brand in your customers' minds, to eventually let them come up with the conclusion of why you're really better, or the best. Keep increasing variety after that, varieties that people want, that's one of the quickest ways to make make people identify you as strong and buy more from you.

Due to the recent Penguin 2.0 algorithm released by Google our rankings did drop quite a number, but what I realized is because we offered the best value we can and built a customer base through these 5 months, business continues to come through word of mouth and it's going like nothing has changed. MJ's description of offering value goes far beyond its simplicity in the definition of the word. Providing value goes over its mundane definition. It could impress you in ways you wouldn't expect if you continued to provide value everyday. Build a STRONG brand. Let people remember what your brand means to them. Build it so that everyone who looks at your brand would think it's cool and they can give you their trust. Now we're not the best, and can continue to keep improving. So that's exactly what we do, improve in any way, everyday, incrementally. We started from 0.

I hope this helps in any way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

putinwork

Read -> PUT.IN.WORK
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Not sure if you answered this question or not but can I ask what e-commerce platform you are using?

I'm at the stage of choosing and finding a hard time to do so. Mainly because the available themes really are lacking and to pay someone to develop a theme is $$. I really believe that a new e-commerce store has to be presentable to gain sales and traction, but I'm no expert in this so I could be completely wrong.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
Hey putinwork, I think he said he used magento but I don't believe he said anything about a theme. You're right that having a site developed from scratch is big money.. but you're wrong about the themes available being lacking.

You can set up an account with Wordpress.org or Magento (or any other sites like this) which I believe is free..but

You will need to buy hosting to host your site one (there are plenty of hosting platforms out there which typically only cost 3-12 bucks a month for a small site..although you may want better hosting if you're planning on sending a lot of traffic your way).

From there you can just go onto google and type in something along the lines of "Best ecommerce themes" or "cool ecommerce themes"..whatever. You will literally find THOUSANDS of themes to choose from, once of which will probably be perfect for you... prices vary but they can go from $10 and up (I think I used theme forest for my website)

If you want to make little tweaks to the website.. go on over to fiverr or elance and pay someone to do it (if you can't)

Hope this helps at least a little!
and ps: I'm not affiliated with any of the services listed above

putinwork

Read -> PUT.IN.WORK
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce do have lacking themes imo. Wordpress and other opensource e-commerce sites do have much more available but for my application I do need Shopify/BigCommerce for other back end reasons.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Not sure if you answered this question or not but can I ask what e-commerce platform you are using?

I'm at the stage of choosing and finding a hard time to do so. Mainly because the available themes really are lacking and to pay someone to develop a theme is $$. I really believe that a new e-commerce store has to be presentable to gain sales and traction, but I'm no expert in this so I could be completely wrong.

You're trying to shortcut things without doing any work. It doesn't work that way.

putinwork

Read -> PUT.IN.WORK
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
You're trying to shortcut things without doing any work. It doesn't work that way.

Not really. I'm making sure that I don't throw down thousands onto an e-commerce platform theme not knowing if the concept will work or not.

I think that would be a smart decision rather than just throwing money without testing the market. If the proof of concept works, then yes I will invest the money in making it better.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Not really. I'm making sure that I don't throw down thousands onto an e-commerce platform theme not knowing if the concept will work or not.

I think that would be a smart decision rather than just throwing money without testing the market. If the proof of concept works, then yes I will invest the money in making it better.

When I say so, you better believe it. The things you said I've done the same before. But let me tell you first hand it's a waste of time. Smart is going out there deciding upon the template you want and then start doing your work and act non-stop. The key here is making money with as best that you can muster.

Whether the concept of E-commerce platform theme works or not... your sense of humor I salute.

What happened eventually was we purchased a template under $100 and slowly changed all the graphics and including more over time. Each product is manually photographed and photoshopped and uploaded. You wouldn't imagine the hours. It's all work. In some situations some 'programming work' like editing the codes of the templates may need to be done. I'll just jump at it clueless and slowly tweak. And eventually somehow, in some way, make it work.

Gravytrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 7, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Not really. I'm making sure that I don't throw down thousands onto an e-commerce platform theme

You don't need to throw down thousands. You don't even need to throw down hundreds.

Buy a few themes here: eCommerce | ThemeForest

...and split test them. You'll find out what works soon enough, and if you still need to you can have a custom theme developed. Easy!

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
You don't need to throw down thousands. You don't even need to throw down hundreds.

Buy a few themes here: eCommerce | ThemeForest

...and split test them. You'll find out what works soon enough, and if you still need to you can have a custom theme developed. Easy!

ThemeForest's was exactly what we used haha. Thanks Gravy.

wonderkid

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 4, 2013
I find your story very inspiring, given your situation and what happened back then and how you face and overcame such challenges, that tells so much of your character.

1) You mentioned that your products related to electronic and consumables, how did you find the niche in the first place? I mean, how do you convince yourself to go into the electronic niche knowing that it is a very competitive niche?

2) There are so many products on Alibaba.com, so can you share some tips on how to pick good products to sell and how to find good & reliable supplier?

3) Did you setup the store (magento) yourself or did you pay somebody to do it for you perhaps by outsourcing or employee?

4) What do you think the most important thing that contribute to product sales? Is it the product variations, the cash on delivery offer, the product price or exclusivity (hard to find product in local market) ?

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
1) You mentioned that your products related to electronic and consumables, how did you find the niche in the first place? I mean, how do you convince yourself to go into the electronic niche knowing that it is a very competitive niche?

Ans: I chose a less competitive electronics niche that has a huge market at the time.

2) There are so many products on Alibaba.com, so can you share some tips on how to pick good products to sell and how to find good & reliable supplier?

Ans: Get to know your industry, and find out what people want the most. Look at the strongest players in the industry and figure out what they get. Look into forums and see what is famous. Then talk to manufacturers, don't be shy to have a thick face and demand what you want.

3) Did you setup the store (magento) yourself or did you pay somebody to do it for you perhaps by outsourcing or employee?

Ans: We haven't started paying anyone yet.

4) What do you think the most important thing that contribute to product sales? Is it the product variations, the cash on delivery offer, the product price or exclusivity (hard to find product in local market) ?

Ans: All really... high rankings, a trusted brand, product variations, product price (but it's not very good to compete on this), good customer service. They key is in figuring out what makes your customers buy. If they want convenience, you provide them with convenience. If they like variations, you give them variations. If they'd like to buy from a trusted or reliable store, be trusted and reliable.

putinwork

Read -> PUT.IN.WORK
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
I didn't mean the concept of e-commerce platform working. I meant my product- my apologies for not being clear and seeming like I'm an idiot lol.

Whether the concept of E-commerce platform theme works or not... your sense of humor I salute.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I didn't mean the concept of e-commerce platform working. I meant my product- my apologies for not being clear and seeming like I'm an idiot lol.

Just-start-working on it. If you didn't know, go research, ask, test, find out. It is irrelevant to website template.

Golden Goose

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 14, 2013
Very inspiring read. Its always great when someone is willing to go into detail on how they started their business.

Will definitely refer back to your story in the future after I have done my research and decide to start up myself.

Three thumbs up!

jvl269

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jun 19, 2013
Nice to hear your story. Even with little business details provided, the fact that you did something in so short a time is inspiring. Keep posting your journey.

awanrmb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 24, 2013
Indonesia
Zen Focus,

Thank you very much for sharing your story. You've reminded me about persistence and hard work will triumph everything.
Just as Will Smith said (more or less like this)
"you can be smarter than me, stronger than me, sexier than me...but if you and me go into the treadmill there are only two possibilities: you quite, or I die trying"

Motivation, Success, Greatness. -Will Smith - YouTube

Bless you, where ever you are as you have lit a fire in many people that read this thread.

Warm Regards,
Awan

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
Amazing and inspirational story. I am trying to come up with ideas and get things off the ground with trying to find certain products and manufacturers and your story is incredibly helpful. Your success is great.

lancer3vo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 1, 2013
Read every word. I give you huge props for writing this up man! Congrats on your success! Keep up the great work and keep that attitude "never give up" going!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
For the guys out there who have their aspirations set up so high, you'd need incredible abilities and capability to surmount them, give yourself one of the greatest gift in business education and get this book called: "Thick Face, Black Heart" by author Chin-Ning Chu.
I read your recommendation here and bought the book. I'm 40 pages in and I feel some transformation inside me is taking place. I have read countless books before and was always left with the feeling as if "there is still something missing". I think Thick Face, Black Heart is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't verbalize. Now that I look, all the leaders in my country and in the world have this same posture and behavior described in the book and I have experienced small glimpses of that same reality a few times. I then used to wonder why that feeling of importance, charisma and power was not consistent for me but only happens randomly once in years. I think this book is starting to put all the pieces of puzzle in place. Thanks Zen Focus

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I read your recommendation here and bought the book. I'm 40 pages in and I feel some transformation inside me is taking place. I have read countless books before and was always left with the feeling as if "there is still something missing". I think Thick Face, Black Heart is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't verbalize. Now that I look, all the leaders in my country and in the world have this same posture and behavior described in the book and I have experienced small glimpses of that same reality a few times. I then used to wonder why that feeling of importance, charisma and power was not consistent for me but only happens randomly once in years. I think this book is starting to put all the pieces of puzzle in place. Thanks Zen Focus

I'm happy for you smarty. And when you see one who'd benefit the world just as you as a result of reading the book, pass the word on. Share, the value.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I'm happy for you smarty. And when you see one who'd benefit the world just as you as a result of reading the book, pass the word on. Share, the value.
Already sent to some of my friends.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Did you know there are interesting interviews with the author on Youtube?
of course, I searched and watched the interviews few days ago when I discovered the book ;) I always want to know more about the author's real life story.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Wow, just amazing! Admire your work ethic and determination :).

If I got it right, you bought an already existing product and sold it on your website?

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Wow, just amazing! Admire your work ethic and determination .
If I got it right, you bought an already existing product and sold it on your website?

Yes Ryllban. Import, then offer in retail - online and currently in brick-and-mortar.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Yes Ryllban. Import, then offer in retail - online and currently in brick-and-mortar.

Wow thats amazing. I have always thought that you should come up with your own idea and that stuff. But this just proves you can compete with the bigger guys (guess there are bigger companys than yours in the industry already) and still make it really good.

Warrior

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
May 28, 2012

Hey Zen,

Where are you based? If you're in Asia, perhaps we're nearby.

I have an ecommerce site on wall art. I read that going to the US market was a mistake and going local was one key to your success. What did you try dropshipping to the US? I made absolutely no sales on my site. Spent some money on Google shopping and adwords to no success. Maybe I should not target the US. I'm sourcing from China as well.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Boom! Keep getting it dude.

Dan Willis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2014
Hey Zen,

Where are you based? If you're in Asia, perhaps we're nearby.

I have an ecommerce site on wall art. I read that going to the US market was a mistake and going local was one key to your success. What did you try dropshipping to the US? I made absolutely no sales on my site. Spent some money on Google shopping and adwords to no success. Maybe I should not target the US. I'm sourcing from China as well.

I am intrigued as to why he would share the product. I would recommend tracking niche's among the culture and dropshipping to them. I will give you a free example in the Olympics. Here is an opportunity for you to dropship product for each country that is highly overpriced sell it at a small discount and make a decent return. Even better would be to pay someone to track events like this and manage it for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.