The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Fastlane Journey & $100,000/Month Sales 4 Months After Start-Up

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Seems you've applied what Napoleon Hill talks about in "Think and Grow Rich"... you set it up so you have no other choice but to succeed.

This story has me really inspired.

Thank you for sharing!

HD_edacity

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 12, 2013
Toronto
Really inspiring stuff, "started from the bottom now we here". Did i just quote a drake song? Yes.Yes i did.

Quick question, You mentioned how you began by accepting cash on delivery, I was just wondering how you set that up in a eCommerce store? Is there a specific plugin say for bigcommerce.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Seems you've applied what Napoleon Hill talks about in "Think and Grow Rich"... you set it up so you have no other choice but to succeed.

This story has me really inspired.

Thank you for sharing!

Dear Adria, I really didn't set it up. The only thing I've constantly reminded myself in doing is going all out, 100%, all the time, every time.

I'm not a very good planner. But I make sure in every second I make the best choice I could.

Spiritual masters often say it, you only have now or the present moment.

That's the only thing I focus on all the time. No time to put off something. Constantly making the best decisions in the moment, constantly.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
For the guys out there who have their aspirations set up so high, you'd need incredible abilities and capability to surmount them, give yourself one of the greatest gift in business education and get this book called: "Thick Face, Black Heart" by author Chin-Ning Chu.

Only action takers will benefit from it. Those who go out and get the book. Those who do, and practice its teachings will fill themselves with abilities that will for once make their dreams truly possible instead of just a blank dream. In a way, I feel that the book teaches what the billionaires and elites which people are jealous of do to be billionaires and elites which people are jealous of. Hope it helps.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
just found the book for free on scribd:

Chin-Ning Chu - Thick Face Black Heart

For the guys out there who have their aspirations set up so high, you'd need incredible abilities and capability to surmount them, give yourself one of the greatest gift in business education and get this book called: "Thick Face, Black Heart" by author Chin-Ning Chu.

Only action takers will benefit from it. Those who go out and get the book. Those who do, and practice its teachings will fill themselves with abilities that will for once make their dreams truly possible instead of just a blank dream. In a way, I feel that the book teaches what the billionaires and elites which people are jealous of do to be billionaires and elites which people are jealous of. Hope it helps.

KirbyRaymund

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 11, 2013
so Alibaba was the turning point?

i've known about it a long time but there was something about the site that made me feel uncomfortable. as silly as it sounds, i thought it was the layout. it looked disorganized and it made me doubt the credibility of the suppliers listed there. but now, i think i will give it a try. thanks for your story

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
"Thick Face, Black Heart" by author Chin-Ning Chu.

Be sure to read her other book "Do Less, Achieve More" also a very awesome books, where she comes in on other topics or a lot more in dept of success, happiness, money, dreams etc.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Bought it on amazon. Thanks for the share of that book. I love Sun Tzu and any type of philosophy similar to it. "The Art of War" is a good read for contemplation. I noticed that a lot of the things in it relate to many aspects of life. Not necessarily the war strategy part but the parts about "knowing yourself, your terrain, and your opponent"

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
so Alibaba was the turning point?

i've known about it a long time but there was something about the site that made me feel uncomfortable. as silly as it sounds, i thought it was the layout. it looked disorganized and it made me doubt the credibility of the suppliers listed there. but now, i think i will give it a try. thanks for your story

Kirby, being an entrepreneur will challenge you on how well you take on the feelings of being uncomfortable. If it is comfortable being an entrepreneur, no one would ever work as an employee. Although it's good that you'll try, do consider to decide that you'll persist.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Bought it on amazon. Thanks for the share of that book. I love Sun Tzu and any type of philosophy similar to it. "The Art of War" is a good read for contemplation. I noticed that a lot of the things in it relate to many aspects of life. Not necessarily the war strategy part but the parts about "knowing yourself, your terrain, and your opponent"

Yes, I feel the same too.

leonbenj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 11, 2013
Montreal, Can
Thank you for sharing! Im the same age but just recently discovered about the fastlane-type mentality. Great to have an example of someone the same age!
Keep up the consistent 100% involvement! Very motivating!
Cheers

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
Good Read OP,
Do you still only ship locally or worldwide now? I'm assuming you probably have a somewhat decent rank on worldwide rankings for your keywords.

I'm also doing ecommerce and believe me, we are having a hard time finding trustworthy and reliable manufacturers.

We've also gone directly to importing rather than dropshipping as you have!

Very inspirational!

thesearch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 14, 2013
I'm going to say what others have already said but that was a truly inspirational story.

In my opinion you have one of the most important traits of an entrepreneur - Keep going and persevere after "failure". Never quit.

Its from the "failure" we learn and like Thomas Edison said before he succeeded to make the lightbulb : "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work".

I put the word failure in quotes, because if you look at it from Thomes Edison's point of view, its not even considered failing.

I wish you great success on your business and I'm sure you'll have it. Must be an awesome feeling knowing that you have the leverage and control to make it grow exponentially. That's where I want to be.

Thanks for sharing your story with us

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I'm going to say what others have already said but that was a truly inspirational story.

In my opinion you have one of the most important traits of an entrepreneur - Keep going and persevere after "failure". Never quit.

Its from the "failure" we learn and like Thomas Edison said before he succeeded to make the lightbulb : "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work".

I put the word failure in quotes, because if you look at it from Thomes Edison's point of view, its not even considered failing.

I wish you great success on your business and I'm sure you'll have it. Must be an awesome feeling knowing that you have the leverage and control to make it grow exponentially. That's where I want to be.

Thanks for sharing your story with us

You pointed out something that's extremely right. Many self-help coaches say you aren't supposed to focus on negatives. But in business, real world business and not in the self-development industry, reality can be more harsh than anything.

So the key wasn't to think positive, but to always focus on the dream. The goal. What you believe in. Great entrepreneurs take what's real within themselves and project it fully out into the world, instead of shifting away from who they are. By projecting out without a doubt of who they are and what they believe in, their definitions for words become different - when others think of failure negatively, they might think of failure as another frickin annoyance or to some even excitement to destroy or win over again and again. Through my failures, I realized in business one who doesn't take into account the possibilities of failures is extremely naive.

I don't mean that in a bad way. Being able to fully LIVE, as the best self that one is while fully accepting the reality of this world is something that's hard to explain in words. When you have the bad times, you overcome it intelligently your way. When you have the good times, you know what got you there and what you've sacrificed to be where you are today.

thesearch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 14, 2013
You pointed out something that's extremely right. Many self-help coaches say you aren't supposed to focus on negatives. But in business, real world business and not in the self-development industry, reality can be more harsh than anything.

So the key wasn't to think positive, but to always focus on the dream. The goal. What you believe in. Great entrepreneurs take what's real within themselves and project it fully out into the world, instead of shifting away from who they are. By projecting out without a doubt of who they are and what they believe in, their definitions for words become different - when others think of failure negatively, they might think of failure as another frickin annoyance or to some even excitement to destroy or win over again and again. Through my failures, I realized in business one who doesn't take into account the possibilities of failures is extremely naive.

I don't mean that in a bad way. Being able to fully LIVE, as the best self that one is while fully accepting the reality of this world is something that's hard to explain in words. When you have the bad times, you overcome it intelligently your way. When you have the good times, you know what got you there and what you've sacrificed to be where you are today.

Many self-help coaches try to make everything look so easy. Like "make millions easily", "be the most confident person in 3 days", "think positive and things will go your way"...

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes. Like MJ says on TMF , we have to take responsibility and accountability for our mistakes.

Also, we have to be prepared to face "failure" but is up to us to try to develop strategies of planing and weighing options etc. so we can minimize those "failures".

You pointed out something that I think is also one of the most important things: Focus on your goals. Never lose sight of them.

In my opinion, the right mindset is really really important for having a successful business.

I like this subject of mindsets a lot but if I continue to write on it, we will go to off-topicville eheh

Cheers!

putinwork

Read -> PUT.IN.WORK
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Any update on how sales are going? Still going strong? Any new things you have learned since your last update?

How were you able to get the word out for people to come to you e-commerce site if you're not using amazon/ebay?

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Holy cow man this just boosted my motivation off the roof. I will will execute my plan in a month at the latest, I first need educate myself into what im getting. One question though, are you doing dropshipping or are you an ecommerce store ? thank you ! Great motivation mate

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Sales continued to break the record from the month before. We're hoping this month could do the same, as the past month's record is rather tough to break. With the average daily sales however it can be possible. We're starting to realize that the market online for our industry may be reaching its plateau for now - industry's still new, search counts may further increase, but we're saving up for a brick-and-mortar retail as it'd leverage our money the best for growth. Customers in our industry appreciate taking the time to experience a store, ask questions and etc. so we thought that will be the next step. Looking at our biggest competitor who is raking big money from their shop (and beating us despite not being on even the 1st page of Google - though they certainly had a much longer history in business than us), I guess we'll have to bring this to the next level. Create a brick-and-mortar brand too, and be the #1 at it slowly, but surely. By providing the best value - focus on design, atmosphere, theme, quality service.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Holy cow man this just boosted my motivation off the roof. I will will execute my plan in a month at the latest, I first need educate myself into what im getting. One question though, are you doing dropshipping or are you an ecommerce store ? thank you ! Great motivation mate

As mentioned 21, I had been failing with dropshipping throughout the years. You're competing with giants at low margins when you dropship. If business is easy, everyone would be doing it. I succeeded in this venture with importing.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Can you give us an idea of how many different products you stock and sell?

Now over 100+. Initially started with only a few that we know are definitely going to sell, then slowly expand varieties.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Great post Zen! I'm curious as to why you are having problems with customs? You mentioned having to "bribe" them...

Mod note - link removed

Part of business to reduce costs that many start-ups in my industry wouldn't be able to afford if followed through from the beginning. Thanks for giving reference to Chin-Ning Chu's "Thick Face, Black Heart". A book I keep placed on my desk every day. I do recommend everyone here to get a printed copy whenever possible.

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
Wow so you're actually stocking 100+ products in your warehouse? I assume the 80/20 rule applies here right? ... 80% of your profits probably come from just 10-20 of the products?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For anyone interested here is a download link to the pdf Zen

PLEASE DO NOT post pirated copies of an author's work. You might not think it is THEFT, but it is.

Thank you.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
PLEASE DO NOT post pirated copies of an author's work. You might not think it is THEFT, but it is.

Thank you.

I agree and to add - the author can lose a lot. 4 years ago I made 30k off my Ebook in 2 months then lost what could have been another 30k as a result of a pirated copy of my Ebook going viral in my niche because one person didn't want to pay and posted the pirated version on the forums.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Wow so you're actually stocking 100+ products in your warehouse? I assume the 80/20 rule applies here right? ... 80% of your profits probably come from just 10-20 of the products?

I would say more likely 60%-70% of the products we have contributed to 80% of the profits. Our products are driven by trend, so we usually buy a month's stock. Based on how they perform, we buy more within a month or reduce quantities, some just kept in stock just so that they can still be shown as available.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I agree and to add - the author can lose a lot. 4 years ago I made 30k off my Ebook in 2 months then lost what could have been another 30k as a result of a pirated copy of my Ebook going viral in my niche because one person didn't want to pay and posted the pirated version on the forums.

It is true. Whenever possible potential entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs, buy the original. It's a sign of support to their authors, especially if they have contributed value to you. Like going to the cinemas and paying for a movie, something I'm happy doing 2-3 times a week.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Now over 100+. Initially started with only a few that we know are definitely going to sell, then slowly expand varieties.

Im kind of falling trouble finding a product that will sell, I do know where to sell them, but I just cant decide on what to sell.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.