The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10 profound quotes from Jim Rohn

Anything related to matters of the mind

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love Jim Rohn because he had the unique ability to boil down complex ideas into simple and easily understandable words anybody can relate to. A master communicator. He is surely missed.

Here's 10 of his best ideas for inspiration, motivation, and growth:

1. Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom

2. Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.

3. Success is nothing more than few simple disciplines practiced everyday. Failure is errors in judgement practiced everyday.

4. Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

5. The most important question to ask on the job is not "What am I getting?" but rather "What am I becoming?"

6. You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.

7. Indecision is the thief of opportunity.

8. If you go to work on your goals, your goals will go to work on you. If you go to work on your plan, your plan will go to work on you. Whatever good things we build up end up building us.

9. Success is what you become by becoming attractive to the marketplace

10. The reason why most people face the future with apprehension instead of anticipation is because they don't have it well designed

What is your favorite Jim Rohn quote?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Jim Rohn.jpg
    Jim Rohn.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 8

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Jim Rohn is one of my favorite "gurus" but hes still pretty bad. Like how do numbers 7,9, and 10 help you in life? How do you follow that advice? Maybe I'm too dumb to understand but it seems like he just says broad things that sound good but you can't really apply to your life.

Things like 1-4 are more practical and can kinda be used. But even then it barley scratches the surface making it almost useless in my opinion.

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Jim Rohn is one of my favorite "gurus" but hes still pretty bad. Like how do numbers 7,9, and 10 help you in life? How do you follow that advice? Maybe I'm too dumb to understand but it seems like he just says broad things that sound good but you can't really apply to your life.

Things like 1-4 are more practical and can kinda be used. But even then it barley scratches the surface making it almost useless in my opinion.

Ah I beg to differ.

Some practical examples:

7 > opportunities all have expiration dates like a closing window. If you don't seize it, you'll miss it whether it be real estate deal, stocks, or asking that perfect woman out on a date.

Successful people have the habit of making snap decisions and because decisions = progress.

Faster your decision making, faster your progress will be.

9 > Becoming attractive in the marketplace simply means you have more value that others want and that leads to eventual success.

For example, if you are extremely knowledgeable (valuable) with eCommerce which is hot right now, and openly share that knowledge (valuable) with others, people will find you attractive and thus naturally, you become a "success".

10 > This one's good. People have anxiety because they are forecasting into the future that something negative is about to happen. Anxiety happens when you look to the future. Depression happens when you look to the past.

But if you have it well designed (well planned) and work towards your dreams, you will begin to anticipate it and look forward to the future. After all, if you anticipate a shiny Lamborghini coming your way, why wouldn't you? ;)

All very practical imo. :)

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Ah I beg to differ.

Some practical examples:

7 > opportunities all have expiration dates like a closing window. If you don't seize it, you'll miss it whether it be real estate deal, stocks, or asking that perfect woman out on a date.

Successful people have the habit of making snap decisions and because decisions = progress.

Faster your decision making, faster your progress will be.

So if I make decisions in 1 second with no thinking that will make me more successful than thinking about it and weighing my options for 10 minutes or a couple hours? What amount of time creates the perfect decision? What is faster?

9 > Becoming attractive in the marketplace simply means you have more value that others want and that leads to eventual success.

For example, if you are extremely knowledgeable (valuable) with eCommerce which is hot right now, and openly share that knowledge (valuable) with others, people will find you attractive and thus naturally, you become a "success".

So then why isn't his quote,"to be successful provide value to others." Or is that not catchy enough?

10 > This one's good. People have anxiety because they are forecasting into the future that something negative is about to happen. Anxiety happens when you look to the future. Depression happens when you look to the past.

But if you have it well designed (well planned) and work towards your dreams, you will begin to anticipate it and look forward to the future. After all, if you anticipate a shiny Lamborghini coming your way, why wouldn't you?
This sounds like mental masturbation not practical advice. Successful people don't dream about their goal body everyday, they hit the gym and eat healthy every single day whether they feel like it or not. And then after a few months/years you have the dream body.

Jim Rohn says some nice things in a fancy way that draws crowds. A quick google search provides few results on his background saying he was worth millions and then lost it all. And then started seminars. So it sounds like he is only successful because of his talking to crowds.

I've watched hours of this guy talk on YouTube a few years ago and I have a ton of notes written down but after further inspection I have concluded that MJ has given more practical advice in just one chapter of his books (pick one at random). My life didn't change at all after listening to Jim Rohn it just made me feel good.

Last edited:

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So if I make decisions in 1 second with no thinking that will make me more successful than thinking about it and weighing my options for 10 minutes or a couple hours? What amount of time creates the perfect decision? What is faster?

So then why isn't his quote,"to be successful provide value to others." Or is that not catchy enough?

This sounds like mental masturbation not practical advice. Successful people don't dream about their goal body everyday, they hit the gym and eat healthy every single day whether they feel like it or not. And then after a few months/years you have the dream body.

Jim Rohn says some nice things in a fancy way that draws crowds. A quick google search provides few results on his background saying he was worth millions and then lost it all. And then started seminars. So it sounds like he is only successful because of his talking to crowds.

I've watched hours of this guy talk on YouTube a few years ago and I have a ton of notes written down but after further inspection I have concluded that MJ has given more practical advice in just a one chapter of his books (pick one at random). My life didn't change at all after listening to Jim Rohn it just made me feel good.

Yes because most of it is business philosophies.

And no worries man. You are entitled to your opinion but tons of people including Tony Robbins have found his teachings helpful. Just take what that supports you.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I equally love Jim Rohn, not just for the short quotes but for doing them. Keeping them short and snappy means if you truly want to do something with them, you've got to stop, think and figure out how to make it work for you.

Learning about Jim Rohn isn't your education, it's the start of a lifelong one.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I don't even know who the guy is, actually, but I read this quote somewhere and I have it taped on the wall in front of my desk.

"If you let your learning lead to knowledge, you become a fool. If you let your learning lead to action, you become wealthy."

As someone who loves learning but is prone to not taking action, this resonated deeply.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Your reasoning is flawless. But you start from a flawed assumption: that what you do doesn't depend on what goes on in your head. You assume what you dream about every day and what you do every day are independent. They are not. This is psychology, not mental masturbation - just ask the guy in your avatar about it.
Your point is completely valid. But it's not the whole picture. What you think, and how you think, shapes your reality.

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Your reasoning is flawless. But you start from a flawed assumption: that what you do doesn't depend on what goes on in your head. You assume what you dream about every day and what you do every day are independent. They are not. This is psychology, not mental masturbation - just ask the guy in your avatar about it.
Your point is completely valid. But it's not the whole picture. What you think, and how you think, shapes your reality.

well put

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
Jim Rohn is one of my favorites. If you're a fan, get the audiobook "The Art of Exceptional Living" by him on Audible.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

my favorite jim rohn's concept is " your day that turns your life around "

most people can't really understand this concept according to the pareto principle

people think" oh yes, this the decision to do something. nothing new here. i leave the topic "

not exactly

this is not just a decision. this kind of determination or rage is found in only 1 % of the population or less.

you can't really win against this rage

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I love Jim Rohn because he had the unique ability to boil down complex ideas into simple and easily understandable words anybody can relate to. A master communicator. He is surely missed.

1. Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom

2. Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.

3. Success is nothing more than few simple disciplines practiced everyday. Failure is errors in judgement practiced everyday.

5. The most important question to ask on the job is not "What am I getting?" but rather "What am I becoming?"

8. If you go to work on your goals, your goals will go to work on you. If you go to work on your plan, your plan will go to work on you. Whatever good things we build up end up building us.

10. The reason why most people face the future with apprehension instead of anticipation is because they don't have it well designed

I'm a huge fan. Although his delivery can be a bit cheesy and dated, Jim Rohn's wisdom is transcendent. It's hard to choose a favorite.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Arnold didn't fantasize about becoming rich and famous. For example, To get a part in a film he had to lose 20lbs. He then starting envisioning himself as someone who runs a lot and has a perfect diet to get skinny. And he eventually accomplished his goal. Becoming rich and famous was the underlying cause that gets forgotten when trying to obtain the goals of the process.

Ray Kroc's dream was to expand McDonalds to become the largest and best food chain. Sam Walton was the same.

Thinking about Lambo's is mental masturbation and gets you nowhere.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I don't even know who the guy is, actually, but I read this quote somewhere and I have it taped on the wall in front of my desk.

"If you let your learning lead to knowledge, you become a fool. If you let your learning lead to action, you become wealthy."

As someone who loves learning but is prone to not taking action, this resonated deeply.
Ditto here. Great quote - hadn't seen it before.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

I've watched hours of this guy talk on YouTube a few years ago and I have a ton of notes written down but after further inspection I have concluded that MJ has given more practical advice in just one chapter of his books (pick one at random). My life didn't change at all after listening to Jim Rohn it just made me feel good.

I agree with Steve. You're either missing the points or Rohn's advice, or you're trying to derive entire paragraphs from single sentences, or you simply don't care for his verbiage. Semantical arguments aside, it seems your point is that any guru talk is just talk, which is true, unless it leads to action. But that can be said of any knowledge, and where would any of us be without lessons and wisdom from the past? We'd be reinventing the wheel, stuck in a cycle of ignorance. I'm not big on gurus, but my hat's off to those who can make a good living of it, like Rohn did. That's capitalism at work. Sure, these guys sell hope, optimism and belief, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, unless the recipient just wants platitudes and never takes action.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Bingo!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I like number 2 and especially number 7, I posted a similar thing for my friends on FB the other day. Basically qualifying it with; "unless you have experience bringing ideas from thought to reality; do not hesitate not even for one second, if the idea is good, just go for it. Because hesitation will kill the idea fast".

There is an evolutionary reason why this is true, which is fairly self-explanatory, hesitation back in the wild days would have kept many hominids alive.

I saw it in a friend recently, it kind of went like this:

Day 1
Friend: "Wow! Check this machine out on kickstarter, I'm going to invest in it"

Me: "Go for it, you have more than enough disposable income, and you can always sell it if you don't use it."

Day 2
Friend: "Yeah, I've been checking it out more and I can do A, B, C and even X, Y and Z with it! There are 8 machines left."

Me: "Go for it, you have the money, do it now while I'm on the phone."

Day 3
Friend: "I'm definitely going for this, it's amazing"

Me: "It's Friday now, if you don't do this now, you will never do it, just go for it, you have more than enough money, it's a simple mouse click away."

Friend: "Haha, don't worry, I'll do it."

Day 4 (after the weekend)
Me: Did you do it?

Friend: "No, I'm looking for something else now, I think that machine was too big, and too noisy, it wasn't right for me."

Me: *sigh*

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
I've watched so many of his talks on YouTube. He talks kinda weird but I guess that's how everyone spoke back in the 70's and 80's.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.